Start by marking “The Hauntings of Hood Canal” as Want to Read:
The Hauntings of Hood Canal

The Hauntings of Hood Canal

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Cady's horror is that of the working man who has put his soul and sweat and hands to build a civilization, only to see the edifice of his creation taken apart by time, by selfishness, and by the warped, dark corners of the men who would bend the work of others to their own ends. The Hauntings of Hood Canal presents a small town in Washington state, a town that has settled ...more
Published October 12th 2001 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Hauntings of Hood Canal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hauntings of Hood Canal

Jon Recluse
Jack Cady was a natural born storyteller, his voice both down to earth and wonderfully lyrical, weaving a dark tale of how a single violent act can send ripples through the lives of those both directly and indirectly involved. Ripples that ultimately draw the attention of a supernatural force.
His characters are characters, in the best possible sense, the kind of loveable eccentrics one finds in out of the way places, the odd ones who make their own way in the world, with their own crosses to bea
Lee Thompson
Dec 30, 2012 Lee Thompson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Some books I just don't want to end. This was one of them. The characters were so torn, and playful, sad, and fun.
Jo Ann
I've decided to quit and return this one to the library today. I'm just not enjoying it well enough to continue. I'm about 150 pages in, and every time I set it down, I just don't want to pick it up again. The characters are okay, but something about the way the narrator tells the story seems off putting. Cady's writing style just doesn't appeal to me, its too slow and some of the words he uses to describe his characters emotions feel awkward.

The one example that comes to mind is, the fisherma
Lolapaige
This book was okay. Not really dull but a little hard to get through. I'm not someone who can leave a book unfinished however so I waded through it.
Cathy Lind
Not my usual type of book but I enjoyed some parts. It lost steam about half way.
Shelly
It took me a long time to get through this book, I'm not sure why. I enjoyed it quite a bit - maybe my reading of it simply matched the writing style which was rather unique and understated. I don't know that I would qualify this as horror, not sure that it fits any neat little category. It's simply a really entertaining fable.
Tammy

I wanted to like this book more than I did. To me, the rhythm of the prose was off, almost dub-steppy at times. I nearly abandoned the novel in the first two chapters but the characterization really is quite good.

Unfortunately, the story petered out by the end and all the talk of hustling made me tired.

The epilogue was outstanding, however. Maybe 3 1/2 stars overall?
Jessi
Excellent writing. I felt like I really knew the characters.
Ben Starling
Ben Starling marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Linda Chadsey
Linda Chadsey marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Charlotte Gates
Charlotte Gates marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Dave Richardson
Dave Richardson marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Christina Price
Christina Price marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Sam Mlyniec
Sam Mlyniec marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Scot
Scot marked it as to-read
Ctgt
Ctgt marked it as to-read
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Kit★
Kit★ added it
Jun 05, 2014
Valancourt Books
Valancourt Books marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Winner of Nebula, Phillip K. Dick, World Fantasy and Bram Stoker awards.

Obituaries:
in Seattle PI
in Peninsula Daily News
in Seattle Times
from Komo News
More about Jack Cady...
The Night We Buried Road Dog The Off Season The Well The Jonah Watch Street: A Novel