Start by marking “Iron Empires Volume 1: Faith Conquers” as Want to Read:
Iron Empires Volume 1: Faith Conquers

Iron Empires Volume 1: Faith Conquers (Iron Empires)

Faith Conquers, the first in the series of Iron Empires collections from Dark Horse, kicks off the release of the highly anticipated Iron Empires role-playing game and will be followed by a second trade paperback, Sheva's War, as well as an ongoing series of new Iron Empires adventures in the months to follow. Volume 1 collects the four part series originally titled Shadow ...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Iron Empires Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Empires Volume 1

Asher Turnaround
Dec 21, 2013 Asher Turnaround rated it really liked it
The Monkey King Howls as Hotok Burns

I love the kind of fiction that gives me a chance to gaze upon a world I have never seen; the more immersive, the better. I hold a special place in my heart for world designers. The sheer depth of vision needed to create on that scale astounds me. In comics this can be especially potent, because the vision is not simply told but shown.

The imagination can be an incredible framing device for the universal struggles of daily, present tense, life. This is why we a
Jacob
Aug 13, 2008 Jacob rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my favorite graphic novel.
(not that I ever had many graphic novels or comics... :P )
I tried to collect these when they were still individual comic books, but failed to get issue 2 of 4. Despite that, I loved the way the work was painted and how the story and action progressed. So when Dark Horse released this and Sheva's War compiled, I grabbed 'em.
The story isn't that complex (the quickest comparison that comes to mind is a setting akin to 'Dune', but with a looming alien threat), but,
Daniel
Nov 16, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
Interesting introduction to the world of the Iron Empires. The story and art are both excellent and quite immersive; you find out details as you go along, and by the time you're done, you are hooked and wanting more.

On a gaming aside, there was no way this world would be translated into a roleplaying game without it being based on Luke Crane's Burning Wheel. The thematic parallels are way to obvious to pass up.

Looking forward to the next collection.
Dana
Nov 03, 2008 Dana rated it liked it
Mark brought this to read at the beach, and once he finished with it, I picked it up. He says it makes more sense if you play one of the miniature war games that he does, since it's essentially set in the same universe, but I liked it for the art. Good art will go a long way with me. The only reason it didn't get higher stars from me is that the plot didn't draw me in as much as I usually like. But for a superfast 1 or 2 hour read, it was good.
John
Mar 12, 2010 John rated it liked it
The first story set in the Iron Empires universe that inspired the Burning Empires RPG. It's a dark setting where humanity finds itself in a dark age beset by a threat that may eventually lead to its extinction: a race of worm-like parasites that take over control of the humans they infect.

The story is good, and the artwork is excellent. I find the artist's taste in the visuals of technology are very much to my taste.
Evan
Apr 27, 2015 Evan rated it liked it
An interesting story. The weight of the fictional universe and all its fictional jargon (there is a TON) is oppressive—for about the first 2/3s I wasn't sure if there was one main character, or two, because he went by a few names. But Moeller's art and writing are good enough that it remained enjoyable. The build-up to the climax was thrilling; the explanatory text and battleplans that comprised the climax were not.

Altogether an overlooked gem.
Lou Agresta
Lou Agresta rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2017
Norman
Norman rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2010
nooker
Jan 20, 2016 nooker rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The artwork is amazing and the story is very good.
Ray Naing
Ray Naing rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2017
Gunnar Bangsmoen
Gunnar Bangsmoen rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Flynnbox
Flynnbox rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Markus
Markus rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Whit Mattson
Whit Mattson rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
James S
James S rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
F.F. White
F.F. White rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Dimitris Tzanerakis
Dimitris Tzanerakis rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2017
Heiki Eesmaa
Heiki Eesmaa rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Remmik Petra
Remmik Petra rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Enric
Enric rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Luke
Luke rated it liked it
May 11, 2017
Johnie Pate
Johnie Pate rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Rich
Rich rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Tom Foolery
Tom Foolery rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2009
Kiko Llaneras
Kiko Llaneras rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Oliver
Oliver rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2009
Martin Ralya
Martin Ralya rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Itamar
Itamar rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2017