Start by marking “Iron Empires Volume 1: Faith Conquers” as Want to Read:
Iron Empires Volume 1: Faith Conquers

Iron Empires Volume 1: Faith Conquers

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Faith Conquers, the first in the series of Iron Empires collections from Dark Horse, kicks off the release of the highly anticipated Iron Empires role-playing game and will be followed by a second trade paperback, Sheva's War, as well as an ongoing series of new Iron Empires adventures in the months to follow. Volume 1 collects the four part series originally titled Shadow ...more
Published February 3rd 2004 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Iron Empires Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Empires Volume 1

Asher Turnaround
The Monkey King Howls as Hotok Burns

I love the kind of fiction that gives me a chance to gaze upon a world I have never seen; the more immersive, the better. I hold a special place in my heart for world designers. The sheer depth of vision needed to create on that scale astounds me. In comics this can be especially potent, because the vision is not simply told but shown.

The imagination can be an incredible framing device for the universal struggles of daily, present tense, life. This is why we a
Jacob
Perhaps my favorite graphic novel.
(not that I ever had many graphic novels or comics... :P )
I tried to collect these when they were still individual comic books, but failed to get issue 2 of 4. Despite that, I loved the way the work was painted and how the story and action progressed. So when Dark Horse released this and Sheva's War compiled, I grabbed 'em.
The story isn't that complex (the quickest comparison that comes to mind is a setting akin to 'Dune', but with a looming alien threat), but,
Daniel
Interesting introduction to the world of the Iron Empires. The story and art are both excellent and quite immersive; you find out details as you go along, and by the time you're done, you are hooked and wanting more.

On a gaming aside, there was no way this world would be translated into a roleplaying game without it being based on Luke Crane's Burning Wheel. The thematic parallels are way to obvious to pass up.

Looking forward to the next collection.
Dana
Mark brought this to read at the beach, and once he finished with it, I picked it up. He says it makes more sense if you play one of the miniature war games that he does, since it's essentially set in the same universe, but I liked it for the art. Good art will go a long way with me. The only reason it didn't get higher stars from me is that the plot didn't draw me in as much as I usually like. But for a superfast 1 or 2 hour read, it was good.
John
The first story set in the Iron Empires universe that inspired the Burning Empires RPG. It's a dark setting where humanity finds itself in a dark age beset by a threat that may eventually lead to its extinction: a race of worm-like parasites that take over control of the humans they infect.

The story is good, and the artwork is excellent. I find the artist's taste in the visuals of technology are very much to my taste.
Joseph Meyer
Joseph Meyer marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Calvin Daniels
Calvin Daniels marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Noah Antwiler
Noah Antwiler marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Darian
Darian added it
Aug 15, 2014
Jeremy Frens
Jeremy Frens marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Jon McCoy
Jon McCoy marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Kinze
Kinze marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
BG Josh
BG Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
JLA: A League of One Exalted Iron Empires Volume 2: Sheva's War Rocketman: King Of The Rocket Men Iron Empires Volume 3: Void