Start by marking “Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)” as Want to Read:
Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)

Steel's Edge (The Edge #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,744 Ratings  ·  759 Reviews
The Edge lies between worlds, on the border between the Broken, where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is a fairy tale—and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny…

Charlotte de Ney is as noble as they come, a blueblood straight out of the Weird. But even though she possesses rare magical healing
Published November 27th 2012 by Penguin Berkley Ace

To ask other readers questions about Steel's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel's Edge

Can't Wait Books of 2012
118th out of 2,453 books — 15,881 voters
Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
24th out of 624 books — 1,799 voters

More lists with this book...

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy reread with the Awesome IA Army Of Utter Awesomeness (aka the eye candy IA Addicts).

Note to self: stop getting high while reading.

In my original review for this Utter Piece of IA Awesomeness (UPoIA), I said that this story was better than MY Kaldar's. I don't know what I was taking at the time, but it must have been high quality stuff. I mean, Steel's Edge is bloody brilliant because IA = Awesome = QED and all that crap, but My Kaldar is and forever will be My Kaldar. My Kaldar is and for
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-reading with all my fellow addicts at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) again....yes that makes it 3x but I don't care I love this series.

So it was a little slower for me the third time through....but still totally amazing. Loved hanging out with the main couple, but more than that I totally adored seeing the kids George, Jack and Sophie need their own series some day. For now I'll just have to catch glimpses of them in the Innkeeper Series as grown-ups.

Buddy Read/reread with all my fellow addicts
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Sophie Stole The Show Stars

Review to come tomorrow...

Well, almost. Most of them finished days before I even started.

Kathleen
NEW & FREE: The authors have written a FREE short story, to end THE EDGE series. It is about the grown kids, set in the future, about 13 years after this book. Find it free online here:
https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog... . Also, George makes a cameo in another series, beginning with the book Clean Sweep. Note that Klaus Demille appears in both of these titles. Klaus is the brother of Dina Demille, the heroine in Clean Sweep.

Getting back to this book -- Wow! Steel's Edge was BETTER tha
Sunny
Feb 17, 2016 Sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Fantastic stars!

You know that feeling of euphoria you feel after you have read a great book? Be prepared for a double shot of it with Steel's Edge. Steel's Edge is book 4 in The Edge series by the wife and husband team known as the author, Ilona Andrews.

I've liked The Edge series from the start. Still, being a huge Kate Daniels fan, The Edge series was always "the other" books by the author. Not any more, this book rivals any of Ilona Andrews other writings and may very well be my favorite.

Wh
Phrynne
Dec 30, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it
The fourth and last book in this series which is sad because I have enjoyed all four books very much. I am not usually a fan of series where the main characters change in each book but I coped in this case because characters from past books always featured highly as well. In fact we have watched George and Jack grow up and they had great roles in this last book. I really enjoyed the world building in all four books and the characters and dialogue are all written with the authors' usual great ski ...more
Alexa
Aug 27, 2015 Alexa rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Read with the awesome bunch at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

This book has Richard (Kaldar's older brother) as a main character. And we get a new leading lady, this time a full fledged blueblood and a healer! Charlotte is not snarky, Charlotte doesn't flash, Charlotte doesn't carry a weapon. She's polite and sensible and I freaking loved her.

It's good to know that Ilona doesn't feel the need to make all her heroines a copycat of each other.

And it was a really good pairing, particularly because they're
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Nov 24, 2012 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it really liked it
I have to say that I am disappointed that there will not be any more Edge books. Ilona Andrews has made me fall so deeply in love with the characters of Jack and George that I feel positively robbed when I consider the idea that they will not get their own book. A travesty. But I'll get back to my boys in just a minute.

The hero of the story is Richard Mar, Kaldar's brother, who we first met in Bayou Moon. He is on a mission to destroy the slave trade thriving in the Weird. The slavers nearly des
Denisa
4.5 I couldn't put it down!

I loved all books by Ilona Andrews I've read so far. And yup, this was no exception.
It was fast paced and engaging, the characters were incredible and the plot was spectacular. I really have nothing but great words about this one.

Why not 5 stars? It left me with a question that I kinda wanted answered: what happened to her ex-husband, the one who left her? I wanted to see him pay in some way. What can I say, I like seeing the characters being revenged.
Orient
Mar 14, 2016 Orient rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action lovers
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
Reading Andrews book is always a great idea and when the series ends as strongly as THE EDGE, oh my, I just swallowed it.
From the start, all "The Edge" books are a fascinating mix of paranormal romance, fantasy, mystery, action, adventure, knighthood. Fourth book has the strongest impression on me, as the collision of good and bad is much more noticable and crushing. The fighting scenes encircled me with action, thrill and adrenaline.

In some point, this book feels like two individual stories, w
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Charlotte de Ney is not just a healer, but is The Healer and although not a blueblood from birth she has grace and poise that many envy. However, there is a darkside to being a healer, they can as easily start a plague as they can heal one, but to do so is to become an abomination. But once Charlotte tastes the darker side of being a healer, she escapes to the Edge to find peace. That is, until Richard Mar stumbles almost dead on to her doorstep with dangerous enemies in pursuit and a cause that ...more
Cathryn
Feb 28, 2015 Cathryn rated it it was amazing
This! This is the book I've been waiting for this entire series. I LOVED IT!!!! If you had asked me a couple of books ago I would have said that Kaldar's book will be my favorite since I just love him but oh hell no. Richard's and Charlotte's is hands down the best of the series. The rest of my review will just be fangirling gifs. Oh and one last thing. There had better be a book for Sophie, Jack, and George without a love triangle.

photo Rudd This_zpspnids5bk.gif

Melanie
1.) On the Edge
2.) Bayou Moon
3.) Fate's Edge

Buddy Read with Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)!

I enjoyed this book, don't get me wrong, but it really didn't feel like a conclusion. I understand that Lark/Sophie, Gaston, George, and Jack are in Sweep in Peace as adults, but so much is left unsaid.

And if I'm being really honest, I feel like this series never surpassed the peak of the first book, On the Edge. This is a very fun series, and each book is in its own way good, but if I knew the final ins
Milda Page Runner
Apr 01, 2016 Milda Page Runner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milda by: Giedre
3.5*
Great beginning but second half unfortunately didn't work that well for me.
I enjoyed healer's transformation into plague-bearer (welcome to the dark side!) I enjoyed the darkness, the gruesome deaths, the tragedy even, action scenes filled with sword fights and dark magic. I enjoyed beginning of the romance with playful dialogues and Princess Bride references. The first half was intense and griping and I've read it one sitting. Would have given it 5*.
But then we get to the part where espio
Ya~
4-stars for the Edge series.
My favorite installment is Fate's Edge.

Ilona Andrew:
It’s a very odd story of a very odd place. The Edge lies between worlds, on the border between the Broken, where people shop at Walmart and magic is a fairytale–and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. It’s a place where poverty is real, life is hard, and fairy tales sometimes do come true.

I now present the unclassifiable ON THE EDG
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

It should come as no surprise that I've been enjoying this series a lot, but I haven't LOVED any of the installments yet, until now. When I first discovered that this final book featured a healer as the main heroine, I had some qualms as to whether Charlotte would be able to achieve the level of badass-ery that I've come to expect from Ilona Andrews. Case in point, FATE'S EDGE's Audrey Callahan wasn't a fighter either, and ended up being my least favourite THE EDGE femal
Experiment BL626
Nov 28, 2012 Experiment BL626 rated it really liked it
Snippets from the Authors' Blog

Monday Snippet – Charlotte de Ney by Ilona Andrews. Memorable Quote from Snippet:
“I can blight your entire family, you moron. I am the Healer. Pick a plague, and your sixteen generations will end right now.”
Edge 4 - New Snippet by Ilona. "This is a prologue and takes place a few years before the actual story."

Snippet, Edge 4: My Lord, you are a dufus. by Ilona. "It’s Regency in jeans."

It's Friday by Ilona. "I kept trying to find someway to work it in there without
Jilly
Jun 30, 2015 Jilly rated it really liked it
I like what the authors say about the Edge series:

It’s like Twinkies. Everybody likes it, nobody is 100% sure what it is.

twinkies funny photo: Twinkies big_4450576.jpg
full of creamy goodness...

Instead of Urban Fantasy, it is Rural Rustic Fantasy - and I have loved every minute of it!

In this last book we get Richard Mar's story. He is Kaldar's brother whose wife had left him years before because she hated living in the Mire. He is also the one who saved Lark/Sophie from the slavers and has devoted his life to bringing down the slaving in
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Let me just start off by saying that I have a serious love for all things Ilona Andrews. The Edge series and the Kate Daniel's series are just simply auto-buys for me. I know what I'm going to get going into them: Nice sexual tension, a very well written story, and something fresh and different in the UF/PNR world. "Steel's Edge" didn't disappoint in that respect. I love the Mar family and have been wanting to read Richard's story for a while so I was just giddy to start this one. My overall tak ...more
Linda
STEEL'S EDGE was the conclusion to The Edge series. I was so happy that I finally found the time to read the book. My only wish was that I could have read all four stories back-to-back. I read ON THE EDGE in 2010 and I mistakenly let too much time expire between each story. My bad.

I love the word-building of husband and wife team, Ilona Andrews. For some people it can be cumbersome because they start each story at a slow pace. There was a lot of ground to cover and this will put off some reader
Patricia
PRE: I know, it's probably not going to happen seeing as he's only in his teens, but I'd like this novel to at least include lots of George. Yes, I'm transforming into some creep who hits on minors when it comes to this boy.

Anyone else out there who feels like this?

POST: Jack and George are the most precious boys in any world. There. I said it. (But I saw someone who wanted a Geroge/Sophie/Jack lovetriangle and then I cried, because no.)

The story was awesome, with lots of badassery, great chara
Veronica Del Rosa
Damn, what can I say about this book without dissolving in to a fangirl mess? This book was effing awesome. I loved every moment of it, from when she almost killed her ex-husband (bastard deserved it!) to when they trotted off into the sunset with a staggering amount of dead bodies behind them. They all deserved it, too.

I thought I'd love Kaladar to the end of my days because he was just sexy, funny and yummy. But there is something about a man who's serious and steadfast, deadly with a blade an
Erica Ravenclaw
Apr 07, 2015 Erica Ravenclaw rated it it was amazing
I loved it but don't want to talk about this ending, or how they said the series is complete because IT'S NOT. I'm just not up for reviewing this right now.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
The beginning was a bit depressing.

I love this authors ability to use words, the way they flow together is just smooth and easy to read.

Eh of course Jack and George show up with Jack screwing up and then Jack and George fighting about it. This was so old and annoying the last book. I didn't want to read about it again. I just wanted it to get back to the story, I had to put the book down for a while because I was so annoyed by the teenagers fist fighting, again.

(view spoiler)
AH
Sep 28, 2013 AH rated it really liked it
Steel's Edge - Audio Book Review Just finished listening to Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews. This is the first time that I've ever listened to this author's book and I must say that the audio version is extremely well done. The narrator brings all the characters to life and uses different voices for each character.

I really like Ilona Andrew's Edge series. Each book in the series gets better and better. The world is so interesting. It's full of magic, swamp critters, aristocrats, and some really sp
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Buy this book now! This is another stunning book from the fabulous duo - Ilona Andrews. The book made it to my house late yesterday evening and I read it yesterday. I've already re-read parts I enjoyed a couple of times. I LOVED IT! I'm so sad this is the last in this series. It's a lovely world they created. One can only hope a few spin offs may show up in the future. Better to end a series at its high point than drag it out past its expiration date. Ilona Andrews definitely understands "leavin ...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
That was a really good series. I loved it. And they saved the best one, in my opinion, till last. The order I liked each book was in the same order they were written, which was nice as it had a great build to it. What a fantastic story this one was, I couldn't put it down. I just wish there were going to be more stories in this series as Jack and George are begging for books. Oh, well, really sad it appears that's not going to happen.
 ♑Namita♑
The Edge was one of the best series I've read. It was engaging with lots of action, which I love, and some amazing characters. I really wish there were more books. I really would have loved to learn more about George, Jack, Gaston and Lark. Such amazing characters.
Ilona Andrews never fail to amaze me with their creativity and passion. Highly recommended read.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

The whole Edge series has been fun and interesting. This book had some pretty dark moments but the vanquishing of some really bad characters balanced it out quite nicely.
I really enjoyed meeting Charlotte and Richard and watching their relationship grow. Richard was a tortured character from a previous book and its always satisfying to see someone like that get their own story.

This series has a completely different flavor than the Kate Daniels series and it serves to illustrate
Emalie
Apr 06, 2016 Emalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
review to come.
Is this the last one? 6 78 Jun 09, 2015 12:48PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to series 3 39 Apr 08, 2014 08:10AM
Lovers of Paranor...: [BOTM] - SERIES PICK - Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews 4 34 Feb 05, 2014 06:25PM
Ilona Andrews Fans: * Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews (Book 4) 9 43 May 20, 2013 05:59PM
Urban Fantasy: Giveaway: Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews 1 13 Dec 04, 2012 07:29AM
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5)
  • Devil's Punch (Corine Solomon, #4)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Magic for a Price (Allie Beckstrom, #9)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

The Edge (4 books)
  • On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
  • Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)
  • Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)

“Congratulations," he said, his voice dry. "You finally managed to find a woman as tragically noble as yourself. I didn't think one existed."
"I'm not tragic."

Kaldar held up his hand. "Spare me. Some children are born wearing a silk shirt; you were born wrapped in melancholy. When they slapped you to make you cry, you just sighed heavily and a single tear rolled from your eye." He dragged his finger from the corner of his left eye to his cheek. " Your first words were probably 'woe is me.'"
"My first words were 'Kaldar, shut up!' because you talked too much. Still do.”
39 likes
“The idiot had shot their own dog. That’s what happened when the destructive potential of a man’s weapons exceeded his intelligence.” 14 likes