Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)

Steel's Edge (The Edge #4)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  5,344 ratings  ·  541 reviews
The Edge lies between worlds, on the border between the Broken, where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is a fairy tale—and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny…

Charlotte de Ney is as noble as they come, a blueblood straight out of the Weird. But even though she possesses rare magical healing...more
Published November 27th 2012 by Ace

Can't Wait Books of 2012
116th out of 2,430 books — 15,864 voters
Lover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene FrostIced by Karen Marie MoningDeadlocked by Charlaine HarrisBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Most Anticipated Books of 2012! {PNR, UF & PNYA}
24th out of 520 books — 1,777 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen
NEW & FREE: The authors have written a FREE short story, to end THE EDGE series. It is about the grown kids, set in the future, about 13 years after this book. Find it free online here:

Getting back to this book -- Wow! Steel's Edge was BETTER than expected, given my disappointment with book 3. I have read all four books in the series. Book 2 is my favorite -- Bayou Moon, with William the wolf and Cerise the slayer. Book 1 was fine, too, but it took m...more
Experiment BL626
Snippets from the Authors' Blog

Monday Snippet – Charlotte de Ney by Ilona Andrews. Memorable Quote from Snippet:
“I can blight your entire family, you moron. I am the Healer. Pick a plague, and your sixteen generations will end right now.”
Edge 4 - New Snippet by Ilona. "This is a prologue and takes place a few years before the actual story."

Snippet, Edge 4: My Lord, you are a dufus. by Ilona. "It’s Regency in jeans."

It's Friday by Ilona. "I kept trying to find someway to work it in there without...more
Sunny
5 Fantastic stars!

You know that feeling of euphoria you feel after you have read a great book? Be prepared for a double shot of it with Steel's Edge. Steel's Edge is book 4 in The Edge series by the wife and husband team known as the author, Ilona Andrews.

I've liked The Edge series from the start. Still, being a huge Kate Daniels fan, The Edge series was always "the other" books by the author. Not any more, this book rivals any of Ilona Andrews other writings and may very well be my favorite.

Wh...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I have to say that I am disappointed that there will not be any more Edge books. Ilona Andrews has made me fall so deeply in love with the characters of Jack and George that I feel positively robbed when I consider the idea that they will not get their own book. A travesty. But I'll get back to my boys in just a minute.

The hero of the story is Richard Mar, Kaldar's brother, who we first met in Bayou Moon. He is on a mission to destroy the slave trade thriving in the Weird. The slavers nearly des...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Charlotte de Ney is not just a healer, but is The Healer and although not a blueblood from birth she has grace and poise that many envy. However, there is a darkside to being a healer, they can as easily start a plague as they can heal one, but to do so is to become an abomination. But once Charlotte tastes the darker side of being a healer, she escapes to the Edge to find peace. That is, until Richard Mar stumbles almost dead on to her doorstep with dangerous enemies in pursuit and a cause that...more
Patricia BookExhibitionism
PRE: I know, it's probably not going to happen seeing as he's only in his teens, but I'd like this novel to at least include lots of George. Yes, I'm transforming into some creep who hits on minors when it comes to this boy.

Anyone else out there who feels like this?

POST: Jack and George are the most precious boys in any world. There. I said it. (But I saw someone who wanted a Geroge/Sophie/Jack lovetriangle and then I cried, because no.)

The story was awesome, with lots of badassery, great chara...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Steel’s edge is just as fun as any of the other books in this series. It is full of action and family and I enjoyed every minute I spent in this world. Now I know that this is supposed to be the end of the edge series but it seems that even though the older couples have had their arcs completed it is entirely possible that in the future Ilona Andrews might try to do something else in this world that involves George, Jack and Sophie. I would definitely be interested in that series.

That said this...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
The beginning was a bit depressing.

I love this authors ability to use words, the way they flow together is just smooth and easy to read.

Eh of course Jack and George show up with Jack screwing up and then Jack and George fighting about it. This was so old and annoying the last book. I didn't want to read about it again. I just wanted it to get back to the story, I had to put the book down for a while because I was so annoyed by the teenagers fist fighting, again.

(view spoiler)...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

The whole Edge series has been fun and interesting. This book had some pretty dark moments but the vanquishing of some really bad characters balanced it out quite nicely.
I really enjoyed meeting Charlotte and Richard and watching their relationship grow. Richard was a tortured character from a previous book and its always satisfying to see someone like that get their own story.

This series has a completely different flavor than the Kate Daniels series and it serves to illustrate...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Buy this book now! This is another stunning book from the fabulous duo - Ilona Andrews. The book made it to my house late yesterday evening and I read it yesterday. I've already re-read parts I enjoyed a couple of times. I LOVED IT! I'm so sad this is the last in this series. It's a lovely world they created. One can only hope a few spin offs may show up in the future. Better to end a series at its high point than drag it out past its expiration date. Ilona Andrews definitely understands "leavin...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Let me just start off by saying that I have a serious love for all things Ilona Andrews. The Edge series and the Kate Daniel's series are just simply auto-buys for me. I know what I'm going to get going into them: Nice sexual tension, a very well written story, and something fresh and different in the UF/PNR world. "Steel's Edge" didn't disappoint in that respect. I love the Mar family and have been wanting to read Richard's story for a while so I was just giddy to start this one. My overall tak...more
AH
Steel's Edge - Audio Book Review Just finished listening to Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews. This is the first time that I've ever listened to this author's book and I must say that the audio version is extremely well done. The narrator brings all the characters to life and uses different voices for each character.

I really like Ilona Andrew's Edge series. Each book in the series gets better and better. The world is so interesting. It's full of magic, swamp critters, aristocrats, and some really sp...more
Kate (Nomalicious Reads)
Jun 26, 2012 Kate (Nomalicious Reads) marked it as to-read
Shelves: want-now
Everyone seems to be screaming for this to be about George, while I love him I want this to be a Jack/Lark one... yes I'm a strange strange person, but well I wouldn't mind if this was about George either, Jack is just more awesome!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy See site review for similar titles

Ilona Andrews is one of the most consistently satisfying paranormal authors writing today. Whether it’s the grittier Kate Daniels urban fantasy series or the more rural The Edge paranormal romances. Picking up an Ilona Andrews book is always a good idea, but it’s especially true when a series ends as strongly as this one does in STEEL’S EDGE.

From the debut, The Edge series has been a wonderful blend of genres: part par...more
Douglas Meeks

The Edge Series by Ilona Andrews:
On The Edge - Book #1
Bayou Moon - Book #2
Fates Edge - Book #3

Book #4 - Series finale - Steel's Edge will be released Nov 27th.

Disclaimer: This novel was furnished to me at no cost and without conditions in expectation of a fair and honest review.

Reviewer's Note: I am posting this review a bit early in hopes that some of you will obtain this amazing series and be ready for the final chapter Steel's Edge when it is released on 27 November.

Steel's Edge
Summary
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Dec 22, 2012 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Ilona Andrews fans/Edge series fans
3.5

This romantic urban fantasy ties in to the series, but not quite the ongoing plotline with the Hand. It felt odd at first. I went with the flow. Charlotte and Richard had a romance that snapped quickly into place. He thinks she's 'beautiful' and he looks good to her too. There's a little more to their initial attraction. I wanted more.

Richard hunts the slavers responsible for kidnapping Sophie, his young cousin who is like a neice to him. She's never been the same since being placed into a de...more
Ren
4,5 stars

Favorite quote :

"My first words were 'Kaldar, shut up!' because you talked too much. Still do.”

Steel's Edge is the fourth book and also the final book of The Edge series. I remembe...more
Estara
Dec 02, 2012 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of the series - but only if you like a really dark book
Recommended to Estara by: I liked the first two books a lot and this finishes the series
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Christal
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

Ilona Andrews is my favorite writing duo and I enjoy both of their series, The Edge and Kate Daniels. The Edge has always been a little harder to classify than the fairly straight-up urban fantasy of Kate Daniels, but I think that is what I love so much about these books. Each one is a little bit different and each of the main couples have the freedom to develop in their own ways.

Charlotte and Richard were very interesting. Charlotte’s...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
Evil in the form of slavers have touched Charlotte's life and she's not willing to sit back anymore. She's been hiding out in The Edge because she was afraid of what she would do if she unleashed her power but she's willing to take that chance now.

Since the last battle with The Hand, Richard's life has been all about taking down the slave trade. He's made some progress but he needs to go after the big players if he really wants to stop it.

I was really looking forward to reading about Richard a...more
Jen
Charlotte and Richard

Another gem from the Andrews' Full review on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews

When I found out there wasn’t going to be a Kate Daniels book in 2012 I knew I had to do something, fast. There was no way I could go a full year without reading something from Ilona Andrews. Even though there was a book from the Kate Daniels world coming out, I wanted more so I picked up a book from The Edge series. Not that I would expect anything less but what I got was a wonderful romance/urban fantas...more
Kat
Won from First Reads!!!

Basic Plot: Richard Mar is on a quest to destroy the slavers of Adrianglia. Charlotte is a Healer trying to escape her old life. After a chance meeting, they team up to destroy the slavers.

I love the fact that the Ilona Andrews books always focus on plot and character development first and foremost. Generally, I disdain romance novels because of the lack of both of those. The Ilona Andrews team manages to write romantic stories I actually like because of their attention to...more
Susana
James Bond meets urban fantasy, in another adventure brought to us readers by the team Ilona Andrews...
For those who like an action packed romantic story, with interesting characters, this is definitely the series to read.
Richard and Charlotte were a match made in heaven, and i loved reading their story. By the way (view spoiler)...more
Heidi
Really solid tied-up ending of this series, though I'm afraid after my love of Bayou Moon the rest of these books couldn't help but let me down a bit. I was very happy to have Charlotte, who is a very different type of heroine than I've read from Andrews before. Still a badass, but not in a physical sense, and not at all rough-edged. Pretty meh about Richard tbqh, and despite this plotline being much more engaging, I still like following Kaldar better. Happy to see the kids grow up, and I'd love...more
dblue
Amazing! Simply perfect.

I love this series and I was sad that this was to be the last book. I worried how it would end. I should have known the authors would not disappoint. This book let me revisit old characters and their history, introduced new characters and sewed them together seamlessly to finish the series on a truly wonderful and slightly bittersweet note.

The only regret I have about the series ending is that I would love to know how the lives of Jack, George and Sophie turn out.

Thank...more
Aly is so frigging bored
One of the best books I have read this year!
Now some visual aids:
That one is for the schmucks who don't agree with me.
Janina
I never thought I'd say this, but I am actually glad this is over. The last third was so boring for me I mostly just skimmed it ...
Erica Frey
Meh. This felt a little too much like a romance novel. Tortured-soul-female saves tortured-soul-male, then tortured-soul-people set out to right a great wrong. Then love and stuff happens. I seriously love the world Ilona Andrews has created, and I'll read anything and everything they write about this world, but this one wasn't strong in my opinion. The second book in the series Bayou Moon is by far my favorite and here's why: it's freaking weird man. I mean it, the magic is just strange and spo...more
Melindeeloo
I really liked Steel's Edge (The Edge) and am sad to see the series wrapped up. I wasn't really looking forward to the move to the more formal etiquette ridden part of the Edge universe (for the same reason that I am not a fan of historical romances) but it actually added a surprisingly interesting element to the story and to the characters who have flawless manner training - I just loved the excruciatingly polite exchanges between the leads initially (and the deadly subtext.)

I thought that hea...more
  • Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • Magic for a Price (Allie Beckstrom, #9)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files #2)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3)
  • Archangel's Legion (Guild Hunter, #6)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be...more
More about Ilona Andrews...
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

“Congratulations," he said, his voice dry. "You finally managed to find a woman as tragically noble as yourself. I didn't think one existed."
"I'm not tragic."

Kaldar held up his hand. "Spare me. Some children are born wearing a silk shirt; you were born wrapped in melancholy. When they slapped you to make you cry, you just sighed heavily and a single tear rolled from your eye." He dragged his finger from the corner of his left eye to his cheek. " Your first words were probably 'woe is me.'"
"My first words were 'Kaldar, shut up!' because you talked too much. Still do.”
25 likes
“Is he a scumbag in training?” Richard glanced at the gunman. “At least have the decency to hold the gun properly, you fool. If you don’t know how, pass it to someone who does. I’m not going to suffer being shot at by anything less than a full- fledged lowlife. (Richard)” 10 likes