Start by marking “The Man of the Forest” as Want to Read:
The Man of the Forest

Read Book* *Different edition

The Man of the Forest

In this classic, a lone camper in the forest overhears a conversation that convinces him to leave his wild paradise to save a young woman from certain doom. The Man of the Forest isn't about to let a tough guy kill Helen to get his hands on her uncle's ranch.
Published September 15th 2000 by Forge (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Man of the Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man of the Forest

Mary Thornell
Jan 18, 2012 Mary Thornell rated it it was amazing
Youve no idea how difficult it is to come across a Zane Grey book that is not Riders of the Purple Sage - nothin' wrong with RotPS, but once you read that book (and if you love western books like I do) you thirst for more. Purple Sage just isnt enough.

This was the second book of his that I read and not being familiar with his other stories, I was a bit surprised at the laconic way Grey takes his time in telling the story while letting us inside the head of the main character. I had not expected
David Roark
Oct 22, 2014 David Roark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well-written, descriptive, and captivating. Grey does well developing several different characters in the story, including Dale, Helen, Bo, and the cowboy Las Vegas. It's interesting how a lot of the hero's role is given to Las Vegas in the climax of the action. The author demonstrates the contrast between a man of the woods and a cowboy. Very interesting.
charley kiel
Aug 11, 2015 charley kiel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Profound & Rewarding Adventure

Hooked early with a well constructed drama, the underlying spiritual theme gave pause to how the West was won by the physically determined and morally strong.
Sharon
Nov 18, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, westerns
I've read several Zane Grey novels and so far this is my favorite.
Susan Mudambi
Oct 28, 2016 Susan Mudambi rated it it was amazing
This is a testament to the idea that a predictable story can be a compelling story. It's an old fashioned Western with captivating descriptions and explanations of the power of the wilderness on the human psyche. Zane Grey is philosophical about the parallels between the cruelty of nature and the cruelty of men, and between being alone and loneliness. It's an action story but with insights on nature and humans in nature, and how women affected the evolving norms of the West. Oh to have the ...more
Cathy Cramer
Every time I think of Zane Grey, I think of my grandparents, who loved the books so much they named their oldest son after him, with a middle name of Grey. They read these books aloud to each other early in their marriage, and my aunt read them to my grandma in her later years. This book is well-written, and much of it seems to be a wild, exciting, playful romp with incredibly beautiful nature and romance. I also enjoyed all the wild animal pets that Milt Dale kept - it reminded me of the TV ...more
John
Aug 31, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
For me, the descriptions and scenes in this book came to life including the rugged and magnificent mountain splendor with its pungent smell of pine and cedar to the high octane stage at the blue smoke filled saloon. The complexity of some of the characters was astounding, particularly that of Tom "Las Vegas" Carmichael, a mild mannered Texas cowhand whose temperament transforms into a dangerous gunslinger upon a drink of whiskey. As I read about Tom, I couldn't help but think of an Oscar winning ...more
B. Morrison
Aug 27, 2011 B. Morrison rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Although he started out as a cowboy and still occasionally visits the village of Pine, 30-year-old Milt Dale prefers the solitary life of a hunter. Roaming the White Mountains of Arizona accompanied only by his semi-tame cougar, Dale’s woodsmanship is sufficient to supply him with everything he needs. One day, taking refuge from a storm in an abandoned hut, he accidentally overhears Snake Anson and his gang meeting with a local landowner. Beasley hires Anson to kidnap his rival Al Auchincloss’s ...more
Jordan Kinsey
"I understand you," he replied presently. "An' I'm sure surprised that I can. I've read my books - an' reread them, but no one ever talked like that to me. What I make of it is this. You've the same blood in you that's in Bo. An' blood is stronger than brain. Remember that blood is life. It would be good for you to have it run an' beat an' burn, as Bo's did. Your blood did that a thousand years or ten thousand before intellect was born in your ancestors. Instinct may not be greater than reason, ...more
Steven Howes
Jun 23, 2011 Steven Howes rated it really liked it
I like Zane Grey books. They read like B-western movies and the ones I have read always seem to have a happy ending which is often something we need to lift our spirits. When reading a Zane Grey book one has to realize they were written a long time ago - in this case 1920. He uses many terms and phrases that aren't in common discourse today. The conversations between characters is written phonetically like people talked back then which makes reading difficult at times. The author uses ...more
Jul 22, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
My dad had a collection of nearly every single Zane Grey book ever written when I was a child. This is the first one I read. I was probably 10 or 11, and it was hard reading for that age. It took me a while to get through it, but once I finished I was hooked. This book was the gateway to the rest of the Zane Grey's in my dad's collection. That was a good thing.

I probably can't give a completely unbiased review of this book. Anything I read and loved as a child I have a hard time actually critiqu
Catherine
Aug 20, 2008 Catherine rated it really liked it
The Man of the Forest by Zane Grey is another great novel. Even if you can tell how it will end after the first chapter. Why fix what ain't broken and Zane Grey writes great western romance, without it being too romancey.

Hie descriptions of the natural beauty in the forest and desert and on the senecas is amazing. I really feel as though I am right there.

There is the typical girl who gets overwhelmed by things, and the girl who is a spitfire and runs pell-mell into things that she usually but n
Tyler
Mar 02, 2013 Tyler rated it did not like it
I found this to be the most disappointing novel of Zane Grey's, I have ever read. I found the plot predictable and monotonous, and I felt the ending chapter boring and overly long. Overall it is classic Zane Grey, fervent romanticism, poetic prose, but the plot and the characters could not be salvaged by the talent of the author. I found it--insincere, and condescendingly gratuitous to the intended readers of the day in which it was written. However, I would still recommend Zane Grey to anyone, ...more
Shae
May 27, 2016 Shae rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, westerns
This story revolves around four protagonist: Milt Dale, the man of the forest, Helen Rayner, an Eastern girl moving west to claim a ranch left to her by an uncle, Bo Rayner, her kid sister, and Tom Carmichael, the typical Texan cowboy. This story includes an attempted kidnapping, a prolonged hide out in the mountains, bad hombres trying to steal the ranch away, and a classic gunslinger shoot out on the main street. I suppose I'm drawn to the bigness of the "West" and its ideals of womanhood and ...more
Lawrence
Apr 26, 2016 Lawrence rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Yes and No - Read my review
Read one Zane Grey book and you have read them all. I have read maybe 10 or so of his books. The story line is always the same, just different settings and different names. Always a lonely young man, typically a cowboy, a pretty young girl in desperate circumstances, a bad guy always trying to get the girl and the cowboy saving her. The formula always has the cowboy win the fight and saving the girl. (There is only one of Grey's stories where the good guy looses.) Grey's books are typically easy ...more
Data
Apr 10, 2016 Data rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better that Zane Grey wrote. I am willing to let some racial and sexist references slide by, realizing the time and point of view of the story. There is more awareness of the basic rights of all life in this book than much of modern literature.
One of the great things Grey has done is paint a picture of the wild and scenic, and involve it in the story as an integral part of the lives of the people who live in it.
Worth reading not only for the excellent action adventure, but also the l
Lisa
Apr 04, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time when i was ten years old, and I love it more every time I read it. A wonderful romance about two sisters that come out West to live with their uncle. Accidentally hearing about a plot to kidnap the girls, Milt Dale - the "man of the forest" - steps in to rescue them. This is how the book begins and it keeps getting better. I love the characters and the descirptions, but especially the deliniation between good and evil. A beautiful and sweet romance.
Susana
Apr 06, 2013 Susana rated it liked it
I never realized how much romance was in these things. Endless self examination and fluttering hearts. They must be read with a consciousness of the time and place from whence they came, the racism is still disturbing. However as a template for the myth of the American male they are a hoot. Everyone should read at least one.
Marie
Jul 15, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Again, Zane Grey was one of the best with classic western tales. This story presages our present day environmental sensitivities. The hero, strong and capable as he is, has spent most of his life learning from nature -- and he has a pet cougar to boot! Don't worry, you'll still get outlaws, abductions, gun play, Texas cowboys and passionate, honorable romance.
Fred Ann
Apr 22, 2014 Fred Ann rated it really liked it
An environmental appreciation of nature aligned with a romance of the old west. Gray combines both themes in his marvelous story, filled with action: a pet mountain lion, two beautiful girls in the west for the first time. Outlaws, Cowboys, a man of the forest, corruption, theft, shoot outs, kidnapping... you'll find it all in this action packed story.
R.G. Phelps
Jun 20, 2016 R.G. Phelps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The man of the forest is a clean love story showing how a lady of principle softens the heart of a man. Showing this man the importance of seeking the fellowship of togetherness over and above the importance of solitude. In this story you will find that once this man has felt the importance of being with the one he loves he finds his solitude is no longer as sweet as it once was.
Mike
Oct 04, 2012 Mike rated it did not like it
I've been curious about Zane Grey ever since watching M*A*S*H as a kid. But after 100 pages of some of the worst dialogue I have ever read in my life… I’ve come to the conclusion that Sherman T. Potter was senile.
Lyra
Jun 03, 2008 Lyra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit that I adore westerns, and although Zane Grey is certainly not for everyone, his superlative descriptions of the landscape of the american west, and his extravagant romanticism make him one of my favorite western writers...
John
Aug 06, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Descriptive

Read as Zane Grey takes you on an adventure through the Old West where a man's words and actions are stronger than a contract. This novel is full of descriptions that allow you to paint a picture in your mind as you read.
brotagonist
Mar 15, 2013 brotagonist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Grey's descriptions of nature, taking up most of the first half of the tale, are a pleasure to read. It is in the second half that the action really gets underway. I found the novel a bit long, but the story was interesting nonetheless.
Deborah Bufkin
Aug 03, 2014 Deborah Bufkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best!

I always enjoy Zane Grey's books! I can count on it being a great story set in the beautiful background of the west. This is a great read, with an uplifting view of nature's lessons. Zane Grey never disappoints me!
Linda
Jan 09, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Milt Dale is the "Man of the Forest". One evening, he happens to overhear a plot to kidnap Helen Rayner, the niece of New Mexico rancher Al Auchincloss, as part of a plan to take over Auchincloss' spread. Being an honorable man, Milt sets out to foil the bandits' scheme ...
Lisa
Aug 11, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-fiction
My Favorite PASTimes buddy Joan recommended it, and I happened to pick it up. I love to read about how to live on your own.
David Bergsland
Apr 11, 2012 David Bergsland rated it really liked it
The free Gutenberg version of this book is the first book I bread in my new iPad. I really liked the book as well as being surprisingly pleased by the reading experience in iBooks.
Breanne
Aug 07, 2011 Breanne rated it liked it
This was wholesome and fun. It dragged a bit in parts and was obviously predictable but once again, who can turn down a cowboy story?
  • The Untamed
  • Shalako
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...

“alacrity” 0 likes
“Instinct may not be greater than reason, but it's a million years older. Don't fight your instincts so hard. If they were not good the God of Creation would not have given them to you.” 0 likes