Start by marking “Jury of Her Peers, a” as Want to Read:
Jury of Her Peers, a

Jury of Her Peers, a

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this electrifying legal thriller, public defender Sybylla Muldoon unwittingly encounters a massive and malignant conspiracy when her client, a homeless man, is accused of stabbing a child on a New York street. With its timely, terrifying premise and its strong, engaging female protagonist, this novel breaks breaks fresh ground in the area of fictional law.
Published July 28th 1998 by Crown (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Jury of Her Peers, a, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jury of Her Peers, a

Lisa Lilly
If I weren't an attorney, I suspect I might have liked this book better. It was hard to get past both minor and major points that, at least in my experience, just didn't ring true or were inaccurate regarding the practice of law. For instance, main character Sybylla Muldoon is a Yale-educated lawyer who is supposed to be an excellent public defender. Yet, very early in the book, she takes what might be evidence in a case without creating any paper trail, wanders around with it, and hands it off...more
False Millennium
This is one of her earlier works, and like most writers (you hope) they get better as they go along...not always, but often. I didn't enjoy this at all. I couldn't wait to be done reading it, and I probably shouldn't have bothered finishing since I have so much to read right now. Very often lawyers turned writers get really bogged down in the minute business of law. Very few writers can keep you enthralled with it: the late George V. Higgins comes to mind. Any lawyer who wants to write should re...more
Marne
Her writing hugely improved since this debut novel. A somewhat fun read, but not as compelling as her recent works.
Korey
Started strong but irredeemably stupid once the big reveal of the sinister plot occurs.
Anna Leslie
Not nearly as good as The White Rose. Bit too far out / John Grisham-esque
pdxmaven
Sybylla Muldoon is a NY Legal Aid attorney. Her former client, Trent, attacks a little rich girl as she gets off the school bus. Sybylla doesn't think this sort of violence fits with the Trent she knows, so what's happened? Meanwhile, her father (an arch conservative) is nominated for the Supreme Court, his lifelong dream. Sybylla's defense of Trent collides with secrets in her father's past (big surprise).

I guess this is called a "legal thriller" -- interesting view inside the Public Defender'...more
Trudie Kiliru
I loved the beginning but I was surprised when the plot became science fiction and although I love secret labs and underground plots, I wasn't entirely convinced that such complexity was really taking place. Ending was somewhat disappointing, too, though I enjoyed the rendering of the main character,Sybylla and the references to Greek mythology.
Ruth
I enjoyed this book. I've enjoyed everything I've read so far by Jean Hanff Korelitz. Like her writing style and her female characters in The White Rose and Admission. This is a different kind of legal mystery with an intriguing plot, a real page turner.
Judith Federico
I generally enjoyed it but I thought the premise was a little over the top. Maybe I just don't like conspiracy theories!
Cathy
Quite predictable but an easy plane read
Kendra
Laborious to start but better than I expected in the end.
Angie
Pretty good suspense, would recommend
Holly
Somewhat predictable, but an entertaining courtroom conspiracy story nonetheless.
Jana
Decent writing, interesting and funny if stereotyped female lawyer character. But it was obvious 1/2 into the book exactly what was going to happen. So I skipped the middle of the book and read the last chapter and everything turned out exactly as I expected. I don't usually do that, but it was due back at the library and I had a bunch of better books to read.
Robyn
I enjoyed this book very much. It is especially satisfying when I luck into a book at the library used book sale for 50 cents by an author I do not know that has a good female protagonist and a plot that holds out all the way to the last of the book. Why courtroom drama is my drug of choice I don't know. But this one was different and worth the time.
Glenna
I'd give this almost 4 stars but not quite. It was very well written and kept me turning those pages, but the central plot was just a little too farfetched.
Dara
I thought the main character was pretty dumb - unable to connect things to figure out what was going on.
Jen
I liked it. I don't read many legal thrillers so it was a nice change.
Gail
A so-so thriller.
carol ferguson
carol ferguson marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Terrance
Terrance marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Caren
Caren added it
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
You Should Have Known Admission Sabbathday River The White Rose : A Novel You Should Have Known -- Free Preview (The First 4 Chapters)

“before, mostly for commitment hearings held in a makeshift court” 0 likes