Start by marking “Mrs. Pringle of Fairacre” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pringle of Fairacre

Mrs. Pringle of Fairacre (Fairacre #17)

Through the eyes of many Fairacre friends, we trace Mrs. Pringle's life and her stormy standing as the redoubtable cleaner of the town's school. However maddening she is, life at Fairacre would be poorer without her.
Published November 9th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pringle of Fairacre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pringle of Fairacre

Carol
Nov 18, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, cozy, 2016
A visit to the Cotswolds is always a gentle bit of joy, even when the main character is morose, maudlin, and miserable. Mrs. Pringle is a retrospective of earlier Fairacre books, a rewriting of the source material.

I anticipated a cliche--when we discover Mrs. Pringle's back story we'll come to love the curmudgeon; she transforms into a ray of sunshine. Happily, I was wrong.

This is a book for people who like to read the word jollification; for folks who like to read about vicars and jumble sales
Melody
Apr 06, 2010 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was less successful than most of the other books for me because it was a rehash of all the Mrs. Pringle stories told in the earlier books. I would probably have liked it better if I were not doing an intensive start to finish read of the series. But I am.
Rebecca
May 17, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Miss Read's books about Thrush Green and Fairacre don't particularly have plots to follow--it's more the ebb and flow of village life in the Cotswolds in the 1950s and 60s. This book is primarily narrated by Miss Read, the head teacher of the two-teacher village school at Fairacre, and gives lip service to the title by relating various stories of the doughty and disagreeable Mrs. Pringle, the school cleaner whose bad leg only acts up when she takes umbrage at something (so has a permanent limp). ...more
Ivonne Rovira
I have always been a true fan of the Fairacre novels; I found I enjoyed them even more than Miss Read's beloved Thrush Green novels. Mrs. Pringle, however, is the literary equivalent of a television clip show: One-half to two-thirds of the material in this book has already appeared in greater detail and written in a more interesting fashion in previous Fairacre novels.

It's marginally worth reading for a few of the new tales about Mrs. Pringle, particularly a few about Mrs. Pringle's miscreant gi
Sally
Apr 18, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I very much enjoyed this book. It was the first I have read by author Miss Read (Dora Saint), so I had not encountered the tales of Mrs. Pringle that I have heard appeared in some previous Fairacre or Thrush Green stories. Nevertheless, this is a charming spinning-out of anecdotes about Mrs. Pringle and other Cotswold village characters.
Dixie
Feb 29, 2016 Dixie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great audio book to listen to while painting a fence.
Heidi Burkhart
Feb 14, 2017 Heidi Burkhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed every Miss Read book that I have read. This was no exception. Life in a small English village with its charms, trials joys and daily life provide an enjoyable read.
Heather
Jul 16, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh the inimitable Mrs. Pringle! A robust, albeit rotund woman who knows her mind and reminds her fellow citizens of this fact as often as she likes. I'm quite sure that we all have had a Mrs. Pringle in our life whose very existence makes cringing and scowling an involuntary response.

She is a character who is simultaneously brings foreboding and entertainment. Miss Read recounts a year's worth of interaction with Mrs. Pringle, initially harking back to her own first encounters as well as adding
Jane
Aug 08, 2012 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Miss Read fan, especially the Fairacre books. Miss Read is the pen name of Dora Saint and also a character in the Fairacre books. She is the head school teacher in the charming English village of Fairacre. She is happily unmarried and has a keen eye for the events that constitute village life probably in the 1950's or 60's. Mrs. Pringle is the tempermental cleaner of the village school and thorn in Miss Read's side.

Not a lot of plot in the book, but it is sure to lower you blood pressu
Irina
Aug 12, 2007 Irina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one centers around Mrs. Pringle, the curmudgeonly caretaker of the 2-room schoolhouse. As an avid and unashamed anglophile, I loved this book -- it's a gentle, enjoyable read where you follow the happenings in a little village in England: jumble sales, doctors who make house calls, thatched roof cottages, walks along country lanes, a 2-room schoolhouse, fireside visits with neighbors over tea, etc. with I've been reading and re-reading the series for about 10 years now.
Pam
Apr 30, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miss-read, 2014
Miss Read has created 2 English villages, Fairacre and Thrush Green, and filled them with realistic, memorable characters. Her portrayal of everyday life and problems faced in community with patience and kindness is blended with quiet humor and the beauty of the surrounding countryside as the seasons pass. They have been my favorite comfort books for many years, and the formidable Mrs. Pringle never fails to make me laugh.
Mama
Feb 14, 2008 Mama rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first exposure to "Miss Read." I'd like to try some of her other work. I enjoyed Mrs. Pringle - always like a well-described curmudgeon! We all know someone this grumpy. Left me hanging a bit, though. I was hoping for a little more story.
Una Rose
Apr 13, 2015 Una Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peaceful, slow moving, gently humorous, another wonderful book by my favorite British author Miss Read. The perfect book for fans of Miss Read or anyone who dreams of the gentle, civilized British country village life.
OK, but not nearly as good as the others.
Shelli
Sep 28, 2008 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Pringle is an abrasive type, but you can't help but be amused. Another Fairacre novel.
Sukhi
Feb 08, 2016 Sukhi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short but excellent read about Fairacre's biggest grouch. Mrs. Pringle is fascinating and I loved reading about her through the eyes of Miss Read.
Anita Dix-McLaughlin
Good book, good characters, very enjoyable.
Chanda
Jan 29, 2014 Chanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite for sure!!!
Kathy
Jan 16, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Miss Read's books. This one isn't my favorite, but it's good to know more about Mrs Pringle.
Ro
Apr 24, 2013 Ro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous and so easy to read. The Fairacre books are a true joy. This one is no exception!
Bonnie
Oct 14, 2011 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was mildly entertaining, but I don't think I'll bother with any more from this series. The best part of it was the "Englishness" of it.
Polly
Jun 10, 2012 Polly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, nice-books, adult
There's a bit of repetition in this one, of stories already told about Mrs. Pringle in other books. Still a good book, though.
Kati
Oct 11, 2016 Kati rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I don't even know how to describe this book .... there really wasn't a plot, just a woman talking about and sharing anecdotes about another character in the book.
Trudy Pomerantz
Enjoyable read.
Jana Jopson
Jana Jopson rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 02, 2010
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Zeta T.
Zeta T. rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Jvanvelsor
Jvanvelsor rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2008
  • Shoulder the Sky (Dering Family, #3)
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #1)
  • The Bird in the Tree (Eliots of Damerosehay, #1)
  • The Lark Shall Sing (Waynes of Wood Mount, #1)
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Dollar Daze: The Bottom Dollar Girls in Love (Bottom Dollar Girls #3)
  • A Few Green Leaves
  • A Country Affair (Barleybridge #1)
  • A Year at 32 September Way
  • Michael O'Halloran
  • The Other Side of the Dale
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)