Start by marking “The Beloved Vagabond” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Beloved Vagabond

William J. Locke

The Beloved Vagabond

Paragot, a loveable Bohemian and celebrated bon vivant, adopts a young urchin from the London slums and gives him an adventurous education, travelling through Europe in a band of musicians. Paragot, however, has a dark romantic secret which threatens to change their lives.
Audio, 8 pages
Published November 1st 2002 by Assembled Stories (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Beloved Vagabond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beloved Vagabond

Dorcas
4.5 Stars

What happens when a gentleman of learning, passion, and artistic temperament gets his heart broken? Why, he smashes every remnant of his past life into little tiny fragments, sweeps them under the rug of oblivion and reimerges with a new identity. His name will vary with whim and circumstance, his home may be a slum in London or a hedge in Britany, but one thing, the man inside, the "real " man, the Genius and man of heart, Paragot, will remain unchanged... as the beloved vagabond.

Not e
Hana
Feb 13, 2015 Hana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hana by: Dorcas
March 2015 read with Jaima and Tadiana

« Il faut cultiver notre jardin » Voltaire asserts in the last line of Candide. But what if you have been turned out of your garden—doomed never to enter again? Why then, you must take to the road, wander, and hope always to catch a glimpse of Paradise Lost.

Such is the fate of The Belovéd Vagabond who is surely one of the most bizarre and yet endearing characters ever to leap from the pages of a book. We meet Paragot and learn his story through the worshipf
Debbie Zapata
Mar 14, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pg
I learned about this book through two sources. In another book I was reading, October Vagabonds, the author kept mentioning Paragot. This was one of the books he and a friend took with him on a walk through New York state. Then a GR friend happened to be reading this at the same time and posted updates of her progress. Who could ignore such signs to READ THIS BOOK NEXT?

I have not had much reading time this month or I would have finished it sooner. I think the main lesson from this book is that N
Courtney
I must admit I wasn't expecting much from this book and was only reading it out of devotion to all things Betsy-Tacy. Silly me! I should have known that I wouldn't be disappointed. I found Locke's writing style engaging and I especially enjoy being able to understand the references in Betsy and the Great World. Like Paragot and Betsy, I too would like to consult the statue of Henri Quatre for some direction.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I listened to the fantastic LibriVox recording by Simon Evers. He is the best LibriVox reader I have come across. There is nothing I find annoying about his reading, unlike most other readers of these public domain books.

I enjoyed the story because it was unlike any I have ever come across before.
Teresa
Aug 01, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as swashbuckling as Three Musketeers. Not as long-winded as Don Quixote. Not as idealistic as Ivanhoe. But it evokes something of all three. Paragot has lived his life in dreams, and never quite managed to realize any of them... which somehow makes him lovable, and a touch heroic.
Karen Chung
Sep 26, 2015 Karen Chung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Locke's The Morals of Marcus Ordeyne so much I thought I'd try another of his novels. The first five or so chapters of this one I found a little pedestrian, but then the action started picking up. By about chapter eight or nine the narration was in the full swing of what I'd come to expect from the author, and I ended up enjoying the book quite a lot. Locke weaves humor, irony, action, scholarship, compassion, top-notch writing - and most of all philosophy into a very readable story. ...more
Karen
Aug 01, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, public-domain
Paragot is a larger-than-life character: he's eccentric, has lots of bravado, flaunts unconventionality, etc. The story is told from the viewpoint of his young adopted son who grows older during the book. I wanted to like it, but it went on for too long without much of a reward.
Kathy
Aug 01, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The story was lighthearted and interesting. The characters had depth and were described in a way that made them likable.
Tpiac
Aug 01, 2014 Tpiac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't entirely happy with the plot with this novel, but I rather liked the way the characters were crafted and how they interacted with one another. Overall... probably worth a read or two.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Jamin
Jamin rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Sasril
Sasril rated it really liked it
Kimberly Carson
Kimberly Carson rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Liz Schaefer
Liz Schaefer rated it it was amazing
james
james rated it it was amazing
Zero
Zero rated it it was ok
Lars Eriksson
Lars Eriksson rated it really liked it
June Geiger
June Geiger rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Milu
Milu rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Julia Bailey
Julia Bailey rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Scott Stein
Scott Stein rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Jennifer Johnson
Jennifer Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Estott
Estott rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Carol Horsch warhurst
Carol Horsch warhurst rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
Elisa Santiesteban
Elisa Santiesteban rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2015
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

“You have never seen ugliness in a happy face.” 4 likes
“My little Asticot, I have abjured absinthe and forsworn cafés. I have broken my new porcelain pipe and have cut my finger-nails. As I enter on the path of happiness, I scatter the dregs and shreds and clippings of the past behind me. I divest myself of all the crapulous years.” 2 likes