Start by marking “Valley of The Far Side” as Want to Read:
Valley of The Far Side

Valley of The Far Side (Far Side Collection #5)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,860 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The fifth in the series of best-selling collections of the syndicated cartoon that's sold more than two million books!
Unknown Binding, 104 pages
Published October 1st 1987 by Not Avail (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Valley of The Far Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of The Far Side

Jason Koivu
Rereading...rereading...(snort)...rereading...(giggle)... Yup, these still hold up!

Part punny, part social commentary and part plain ol' silly for silly's sake, Gary Larson's one-off panels were a mainstay of the comics page in any U.S. newspaper back in the 1980s. For me, it was one of the few reasons worth turning to that section. Larson was actually saying something, at least part of the time, whereas most of the other strips had nothing to say and couldn't even wrangle up a laugh...unless yo
John Yelverton
This book will have you laughing until your sides hurt.
David Caldwell
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.

Far Side was always interesting. Many would make you laugh out loud. Others would mak
Kaethe
1/1/1985 One fun thing about reviewing books from my past is looking at the covers. Ah. Just the cover makes me laugh.*** I feel like I should say something profound, but I can think is how much fun it is to re-read the cartoons and remember various office doors I've seen individual ones taped to over the years. laughter makes a horrible medicine, no matter how much sugar you try to wash it down with, but cartoons are marvelous short-term distractions when one is feeling poorly.

Library copy.
John
Oct 17, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humour
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
Molly
As always, Gary Larson delivers. Valley of the Far Side is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's books. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here?
Alexandra Spangler
Jul 17, 2009 Alexandra Spangler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love to laugh!
all of the Far Side books are full of silly one-panel cartoons that are just funny and clever. The galleries are thicker and full of more, but I found this book when I was little and I've loved it ever since!
Lesley
This was a quick, fun read over lunch! This collection includes some classics, like "How birds see the world" and the one where God is a contestant on a quiz show.
jacky
Enjoyed reading this while watching TV. Gary Larson is always funny and I love how sometimes you have to look carefully to get the joke.
Catwarrior
This book is a collections of comics that are extremely funny (If you can figure out why it's funny.)
St-Michel
Nice collection of Larson's quirky humour.
Tyler Bruns
Classic AWESOME. good ole' fashioned humor.
Catherine Woodman
Gary Larson is really a Genius
Mary
Dec 31, 2011 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
So clever and still funny!
Charles
Another Far Side. Yes.
Nenia Campbell
This was the first Far Side collection I ever read and it's still one of my favorites. <3
Kristen
Kristen is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2015
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • FoxTrot en masse
  • Happy Trails
  • Bucky Katt's Big Book of Fun: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side
  • The Far Side Observer
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • Wildlife Preserves
  • Wiener Dog Art
The Far Side Gallery 3 The Far Side Gallery The Far Side Gallery 2 The Far Side Gallery 4 The Prehistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit