Start by marking “Moving Toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan” as Want to Read:
Moving Toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan

Moving Toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"Moving Toward Stillness" is a collection based upon Dave Lowry's magazine articles from the past decade, mostly from his highly regarded column in "Black Belt magazine." Written from an almost Japanese perspective, it offers an entertaining and informative view of the Martial Arts' arts. Topics explored include entering the Martial Artst's way, making the pursuit of tradi...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Tuttle Publishing (first published February 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Toward Stillness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Toward Stillness

Eileen
Dave (I feel that we are on a first name basis, since I have read so many of his books) shares various insights on life he has learned during many years of serious martial arts training. He has a gift for tying his knowledge of the history of the samurai and the martial ways of old with present day training and life.

BooksAndTea
Thoroughly disappointed. I was weirded out by the over romanticism of Japan that basically pervades through the entire book. He claimed that it was not against the West, but rather against modernity. Japan, by any standard, is modern (and arguably more so than the West in some areas), so I'm not sure where exactly he was coming from.

Still, it was worth a read and certainly martial artists (and others too!) will find nuggets of knowledge or philosophy here.
Jason
I really liked this book. It is a collection of essays written by Dave Lowry on various subjects within the martial ways and daily life. I can not say I agree with everything Dave has to say, but it was a great book to seed some thoughts on the subject. It forced me to think more about why I do what I do, what I hope to get out of it, and what it is like to be on this journey.

Matthew Bowen
Another great collection of well-written essays covering a breadth of subjects as they relate to the modern budo practitioner. There is so much wisdom to take in that I will be re-reading this in the future.
Sean
This book is very much what I had envisioned the martial arts to be, an excellent read!
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Warren
Warren marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Deepthroat
Deepthroat marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Dayna
Dayna marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
David Knowlton
David Knowlton marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Ravyn
Ravyn marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Kleber Battaglia
Kleber Battaglia marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Konrad
Konrad marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Autumn Lightning: The Education of an American Samurai In the Dojo: A Guide to the Rituals and Etiquette of the Japanese Martial Arts Sword and Brush: The Spirit of the Martial Arts Chinese Cooking for Diamond Thieves Traditions: Essays on the Japanese Martial Arts and Ways