Start by marking “Moving Toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan” as Want to Read:
Moving Toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan

Moving Toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Moving Toward Stillness" is a collection based upon Dave Lowry's magazine articles from the past decade, mostly from his highly regarded column in "Black Belt magazine." Written from an almost Japanese perspective, it offers an entertaining and informative view of the Martial Arts' arts. Topics explored include entering the Martial Artst's way, making the pursuit of tradi ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Tuttle Publishing (first published February 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Toward Stillness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Toward Stillness

Eileen
Dave (I feel that we are on a first name basis, since I have read so many of his books) shares various insights on life he has learned during many years of serious martial arts training. He has a gift for tying his knowledge of the history of the samurai and the martial ways of old with present day training and life.

Dean Marquis
This is a timeless book. This is the second time I've read it. I read it going to the Dojo and coming home again. He talks about subjects which are not common
He has an excellent mastery of the English Language and talks about serious issues. Japan is an xenophobic culture and this perspective is important. Japanese Culture is no different from others. Japan is also the only country that has nuclear bombs dropped on it not just once but twice.
BooksAndTea
Thoroughly disappointed. I was weirded out by the over romanticism of Japan that basically pervades through the entire book. He claimed that it was not against the West, but rather against modernity. Japan, by any standard, is modern (and arguably more so than the West in some areas), so I'm not sure where exactly he was coming from.

Still, it was worth a read and certainly martial artists (and others too!) will find nuggets of knowledge or philosophy here.
Jason
I really liked this book. It is a collection of essays written by Dave Lowry on various subjects within the martial ways and daily life. I can not say I agree with everything Dave has to say, but it was a great book to seed some thoughts on the subject. It forced me to think more about why I do what I do, what I hope to get out of it, and what it is like to be on this journey.

Matthew Bowen
Another great collection of well-written essays covering a breadth of subjects as they relate to the modern budo practitioner. There is so much wisdom to take in that I will be re-reading this in the future.
Sean
This book is very much what I had envisioned the martial arts to be, an excellent read!
Sergio Ramos
Sergio Ramos marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 22, 2015
Anusha
Anusha marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Esther Daang
Esther Daang marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Stephanie Keith
Stephanie Keith marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Tommi
Tommi marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Dominika Dašková
Dominika Dašková marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Dion Schuit
Dion Schuit marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Kiaaina
Kiaaina marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Autumn Lightning: The Education of an American Samurai Chinese Cooking for Diamond Thieves In the Dojo: A Guide to the Rituals and Etiquette of the Japanese Martial Arts Sword and Brush: The Spirit of the Martial Arts Traditions: Essays on the Japanese Martial Arts and Ways