Start by marking “If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance” as Want to Read:
If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance

If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
[From the front and back flaps]

The trial of Angela Yvonne Davis in connection with the prisoner revolt by three black prisoners on August 7, 1970 at the Marin County Courthouse will be remembered as one of America's most historic political trials, and no one can tell the story better than Miss Davis herself. This book is also perhaps the most comprehensive and thorough ana
Paperback
Published 1971 by Orbach & Chambers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about If They Come in the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If They Come in the Morning

Hasan
Dec 27, 2015 Hasan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might find it a cliché, but while reading the very first lines, it's Tracy Chapman's song "Talkin' About Revolution" that resonated continuously inside my head:
"Don't you know
They're talkin' bout a revolution
It sounds like a whisper.."

(Goosebumps whenever I listen to it, always)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C8d4QKI... .. Only recently I've found out that The Rolling Stones' song "Sweet Black Angel" was dedicated to her, as an act of solidarity and homage, when she was incarcerated..

Angela
deconstructed
May 20, 2014 deconstructed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No revolutionary should fail to understand the underlying significance of the dictum that the success or failure of a revolution can almost always be gauged by the degree to which the status of women is altered in a radical, progressive direction.
—Angela Davis

I bought this paperback in a used bookstore in Denver, Colorado and since then I've been flipping through it, finding some real gems, putting it down for a while and then coming back to it. It's kind of like a handbook for radicals really,
Lawrence
"Some us, white and Black, know how great a price has been paid to bring into existence a new consciousness, a new people, an unprecedented nation. If we know, and do nothing, we are worse than the murderers hired in our name. If we know, then we must fight for your life as though it were our own--which it is--and render impassable with our bodies the corridor to the gas chamber. For, if they take you in the morning, they will be coming for us that night."
--James Baldwin, "An Open Letter To My S
Michael Fredette
If They Come in the Morning is a collection by and about imprisoned Black American radicals which was published in 1970. It focuses on the celebrated case of Angela Davis, a former UCLA professor and accomplished intellectual, accused (and later acquitted, though that's beyond the scope of this book) of orchestrating a courtroom break out to free a Soledad Brother on trial for capital murder, based on apparently flimsy and dubious evidence. Includes contributions from Davis, her legal team, and ...more
Kimberly Christian
My Dad passed this read down to me. It's a very old book, had to be purchased in the seventies, early eighties. Great depiction of injustice in the prison system especially, in that era.
DJ
Sep 04, 2015 DJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-of-color
i learned a ton, was really moved and inspired. there's so much in here. deep, accessible critique of prison industrial complex. verbal fighting back against the repression and targeting of dissent/radical thought. extended discussion of right to self-representation. information of a lot of important trials (and movements), 60's and 70's. but more than anything, courage and passion really leap off the page...

(and what i wrote here is just scratching the surface)
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
This was a collection of academic papers.
Monstrodwhale
I learned that everyone in prison is a political prisoner...

That's pretty cynical. I think it was an interesting read, and it certainly does open one's eyes about the injustices that happen in prison. However, there did seem to be a tendency to describe everyone in jail as a political hero.

Also, everyone gets a number after their name like superheroes. I think the Solidad three should fight the bionic six.
UptownSinclair
May 11, 2008 UptownSinclair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful collection of articles about this time in history. Some very interesting commentary from some very interesting people; Angela Davis, Huey Newton, Ruchell Magee and others contribute.
Recommended companion reading: Soledad Brother
Recommended companion viewing: Punishment Park (1971)
fletch
May 25, 2009 fletch marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I had this book in my bag and Angela Davis was sitting right behind me during a report-out on the New Jersey 4 trial at Critical Resistance. Oh how I wanted to do something geeky like get her to sign it. But I didn't.
Celia
May 14, 2013 Celia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was only 23 years old. It had a profound effect on me about right and justice, then and since. It is a deep book but well worth reading as it is written well.
Josepha
Feb 03, 2016 Josepha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: civil-rights
A written testament of the struggles represented by Ruchell Magee, Angela Davis, Bobby Seale and many others for social justice and freedom for political prisoners.
Michelle Lemaster
Angela Davis is such a bad-ass! The struggle for social justice is so frought with obstacles. This is a must read for anyone concerned with social-justice.
Jeff Wallace
Nov 20, 2012 Jeff Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collections of stories and some beautiful poems. If you are looking for inspiration than this book will help you find it in yourself!
Sara
Aug 08, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because, you know, Angela Davis rocks and stuff...
Ilene Richards
Mar 27, 2009 Ilene Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am learning that the struggle for freedom never ends
Arielle
2016 Reading Challenge - A political memoir
Monica Matthews
Monica Matthews marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Gail Johnson
Gail Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Melissa Stablein
Melissa Stablein marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
S
S marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Leila Katibah
Leila Katibah marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Katrina Phillips
Katrina Phillips marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Elliott
Elliott marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Dimitris Lianos
Dimitris Lianos marked it as to-read
karyn
karyn is currently reading it
David George
David George marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
lesley
lesley marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
  • Black, Brown, Yellow, and Left: Radical Activism in Los Angeles
  • Global Lockdown: Race, Gender, and the Prison-Industrial Complex
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • The House That Race Built: Original Essays by Toni Morrison, Angela Y. Davis, Cornel West, and Others on Black Americans and Politics in America Today
  • Spaces between Us: Queer Settler Colonialism and Indigenous Decolonization
  • From Black Power to Hip Hop: Racism, Nationalism, and Feminism
  • Against Equality: Don't Ask to Fight Their Wars
  • Crusade for Justice: The Autobiography of Ida B. Wells
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
  • Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)
  • Black Looks: Race and Representation
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Funded: Beyond the Non-Profit Industrial Complex
  • Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton
  • Autonomia: Post-Political Politics
  • Decolonizing Anarchism: An Antiauthoritarian History of India's Liberation Struggle
  • 500 Years of Indigenous Resistance
  • To Die for the People: The Writings of Huey P. Newton
  • Total Chaos: The Art and Aesthetics of Hip-Hop
Angela Yvonne Davis is an American political activist, scholar, and author. She emerged as a nationally prominent activist and radical in the 1960s, as a leader of the Communist Party USA, and had close relations with the Black Panther Party through her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement despite never being an official member of the party. Prisoner rights have been among her continuing inter ...more
More about Angela Y. Davis...