Start by marking “If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance” as Want to Read:
If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance

If They Come in the Morning: Voices of Resistance

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  14 reviews
[From the front and back flaps]

The trial of Angela Yvonne Davis in connection with the prisoner revolt by three black prisoners on August 7, 1970 at the Marin County Courthouse will be remembered as one of America's most historic political trials, and no one can tell the story better than Miss Davis herself. This book is also perhaps the most comprehensive and thorough ana
Paperback
Published 1971 by Orbach & Chambers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about If They Come in the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If They Come in the Morning

Lawrence
"Some us, white and Black, know how great a price has been paid to bring into existence a new consciousness, a new people, an unprecedented nation. If we know, and do nothing, we are worse than the murderers hired in our name. If we know, then we must fight for your life as though it were our own--which it is--and render impassable with our bodies the corridor to the gas chamber. For, if they take you in the morning, they will be coming for us that night."
--James Baldwin, "An Open Letter To My S
Michael Fredette
If They Come in the Morning is a collection by and about imprisoned Black American radicals which was published in 1970. It focuses on the celebrated case of Angela Davis, a former UCLA professor and accomplished intellectual, accused (and later acquitted, though that's beyond the scope of this book) of orchestrating a courtroom break out to free a Soledad Brother on trial for capital murder, based on apparently flimsy and dubious evidence. Includes contributions from Davis, her legal team, and ...more
deconstructed
No revolutionary should fail to understand the underlying significance of the dictum that the success or failure of a revolution can almost always be gauged by the degree to which the status of women is altered in a radical, progressive direction.
—Angela Davis

I bought this paperback in a used bookstore in Denver, Colorado and since then I've been flipping through it, finding some real gems, putting it down for a while and then coming back to it. It's kind of like a handbook for radicals really,
Kimberly Christian
My Dad passed this read down to me. It's a very old book, had to be purchased in the seventies, early eighties. Great depiction of injustice in the prison system especially, in that era.
drake
i learned a ton, was really moved and inspired. there's so much in here. deep, accessible critique of prison industrial complex. verbal fighting back against the repression and targeting of dissent/radical thought. extended discussion of right to self-representation. information of a lot of important trials (and movements), 60's and 70's. but more than anything, courage and passion really leap off the page...

(and what i wrote here is just scratching the surface)
Monstrodwhale
I learned that everyone in prison is a political prisoner...

That's pretty cynical. I think it was an interesting read, and it certainly does open one's eyes about the injustices that happen in prison. However, there did seem to be a tendency to describe everyone in jail as a political hero.

Also, everyone gets a number after their name like superheroes. I think the Solidad three should fight the bionic six.
UptownSinclair
Wonderful collection of articles about this time in history. Some very interesting commentary from some very interesting people; Angela Davis, Huey Newton, Ruchell Magee and others contribute.
Recommended companion reading: Soledad Brother
Recommended companion viewing: Punishment Park (1971)
fletch
May 25, 2009 fletch marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I had this book in my bag and Angela Davis was sitting right behind me during a report-out on the New Jersey 4 trial at Critical Resistance. Oh how I wanted to do something geeky like get her to sign it. But I didn't.
Celia
I read this book when I was only 23 years old. It had a profound effect on me about right and justice, then and since. It is a deep book but well worth reading as it is written well.
Josepha
A written testament of the struggles represented by Ruchell Magee, Angela Davis, Bobby Seale and many others for social justice and freedom for political prisoners.
Michelle Lemaster
Angela Davis is such a bad-ass! The struggle for social justice is so frought with obstacles. This is a must read for anyone concerned with social-justice.
Jeff Wallace
This is a great collections of stories and some beautiful poems. If you are looking for inspiration than this book will help you find it in yourself!
Sara
Because, you know, Angela Davis rocks and stuff...
Ilene Richards
I am learning that the struggle for freedom never ends
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Kara Grindzhard
Kara Grindzhard is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jabriel
Jabriel marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
O'Rissa
O'Rissa marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Sigit
Sigit marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
LeTarus Watt
LeTarus Watt marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
James Mullard
James Mullard marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Yolonda
Yolonda marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Tombom P
Tombom P marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Penelope Knowles
Penelope Knowles marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Ana Eusse
Ana Eusse marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • Black, Brown, Yellow, and Left: Radical Activism in Los Angeles
  • Global Lockdown: Race, Gender, and the Prison-Industrial Complex
  • Seize the Time: The Story of the Black Panther Party and Huey P. Newton
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
  • From Black Power to Hip Hop: Racism, Nationalism, and Feminism
  • Against Equality: Don't Ask to Fight Their Wars
  • To Die for the People: The Writings of Huey P. Newton
  • Black Looks: Race and Representation
  • Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars against the Black Panther Party & the American Indian Movement
  • Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • Total Chaos: The Art and Aesthetics of Hip-Hop
  • Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States
  • Direct Action: Memoirs of an Urban Guerrilla
  • Living by the Word
Angela Yvonne Davis is an American political activist, scholar, and author. She emerged as a nationally prominent activist and radical in the 1960s, as a leader of the Communist Party USA, and had close relations with the Black Panther Party through her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement despite never being an official member of the party. Prisoner rights have been among her continuing inter ...more
More about Angela Y. Davis...
Women, Race, and Class An Autobiography Are Prisons Obsolete? Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday Women, Culture, and Politics