Start by marking “Nimitz” as Want to Read:
Nimitz

Nimitz

Fully covers Nimitz's naval career in addition to delving into his rural childhood and roles as husband and father.
Published January 27th 1977 by US Naval Institute Press (first published August 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Nimitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nimitz

John Frazier
Dec 28, 2012 John Frazier rated it it was ok
Having recently read a biography of Chester Nimitz's World War II Army counterpoint Dwight Eisenhower, I came into this expecting considerably more than what was delivered, and in this case I can't fault the subject.

"Nimitz" is what happens when a figure of great historical significance entrusts his story to a handpicked historian and instructor from the Naval Academy in Annapolis: a biography that reads like a textbook with about as much sizzle and controversy.

To this baby-boomer, Nimitz is one
James Clark
Mar 10, 2014 James Clark rated it it was amazing
Wow! An exhaustive read on the greatest Admiral the US Navy has ever had. E. B. Potter has outdone an exceptional job in this 1976 edition on Chester Nimitz. It is thoroughly written, details the intimate inner-personality and leadership style of a truly great military leader of World War II. I got to know Admiral Nimitz so well because of this book, I felt I had made a personal friend. I truly admire Nimitz's particular brand and style of leadership qualities, his deep sense of moral and ethica ...more
Steven Peterson
Jan 17, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
Potter's biography of Chester Nimitz, CinCPac, is a good war biography. It can usefully be read in conjunction with Potter's volume on William Halsey, "Bull Halsey," and Thomas Buell's biography of the less flamboyant Raymond Spruance, "The Quiet Warrior."

The book is functionally--but surely not elegantly--written. It traces the life of Chester Nimitz from his childhood to Annapolis to his rise in the ranks of the Navy to World War II and beyond. Much detail is provided, including information o
Clyde Hedges
Apr 26, 2016 Clyde Hedges is currently reading it
"Nimitz" is one excellent biography. I'm doing research on the first seven months of the war in the Pacific, and "Nimtz" gave me great ideas and a large fund of information. It traces the life of one of our greatest sailors from the prairies of Texas to his death in California with WWI and WWII in between, and it is one thrilling story. You see a man who remained calm under pressure, who brought out the best in his subordinates, and who could face the Japanese when they had superior numbers and ...more
Tom Dunn
May 14, 2015 Tom Dunn rated it it was amazing
One of this nations greatest leaders coming out of WWII, Admiral Chester Nimitz was the right man at the right time in history to lead the victory over a tough and determined enemy. As CNCPAC (Commander N Chief Paciffic) he lead Naval, Marine and Army elements in a struggle for supremacy in the Pacific. In a series of island hoping campaigns ultimate victory was achieved but not without serious losses of men and ships. The tremendous pressure that he worked under and the awsome responsibilities ...more
Chuck Allen
Jan 06, 2016 Chuck Allen rated it really liked it
I think I am fairly knowledgeable about the events of the period, but this book told me quite a few things I didn't know, especially about the inner workings of the small groups of men running the war in the Pacific. Not sure I know a whole lot more about Nimitz the man - you are pretty much left to draw your own conclusions - but perhaps that's as it should be.

Interesting that Nimitz ran a destroyer aground in the Philippines and was officially reprimanded, but still went on to the pinnacle of
Cactuskid
Feb 06, 2012 Cactuskid rated it really liked it
Tom Allen loaned us this book. An interesting read about the man and his life. (Completely different from "Visions from a Foxhole") He was a good officer and commander and had a lot to do with the outcome of WWII. Not a detailed narrative of all the battles but more of what was happening from his place on Pearl Harbor and Guam as a commander who was not on site. He was a very respected man throughout his life.
WRH
May 10, 2012 WRH rated it it was amazing
Excellent biography. First, it wasn't done in chronological order which helped make it a much more interesting read. Second, it focused on the big battles of the Pacific but from the standpoint of what Nimitz knew and why he made the decisions he did. So it wasn't a repeat of battle descriptions but provided insight from a different perspective.
James Huston
Dec 22, 2014 James Huston rated it it was amazing
An outstanding biography of the leader of the Pacific Fleet in WWII. Nimitz was one of those rare (non-existent?) WWII leaders who was less interested in self-promotion than he was in winning the war. A model of leadership and humility. A great American and a great story.
Brent
Jun 14, 2009 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book on one of the perennial figures on the U.S. Navy. Goes into significant detail on leadership decisions during the Pacific War, and provides an excellent overview of the pre-war, war, and post-war periods and Admiral Nimitz's contributions.
Mark R. McCallum
Mar 07, 2013 Mark R. McCallum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Excellent examination of one of our heroes.
Jack Nye
Jan 13, 2013 Jack Nye rated it it was amazing
My favorite biography of one of our greatest leaders. I really enjoined how it bounced back and forth between his early days and his time as a wartime commander
Karl.bromley
Oct 06, 2010 Karl.bromley rated it really liked it
More required reading for Pacific theatre fans.
David
Apr 17, 2011 David rated it really liked it
A super book on the military life of Admiral Nimitz.
David Vanness
Jun 02, 2012 David Vanness marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-have
My hardback is 616 pages, book club edition.
Andrew Levy
Jan 31, 2010 Andrew Levy rated it liked it
A good view of a military genius written by a historian. No, that part is not a compliment. However, he is a good historian.
John
May 31, 2011 John rated it really liked it
This book gave a very informative account of one of our country's great commanders during World War II.
Pat
Jun 09, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
A very pleasant well crafted recount of Nimitz, with particular focus on the many decisions he made or contributed to, in the Pacific War.
Butch
May 12, 2012 Butch rated it really liked it
Well done biography on Nimitz, fascinating life and great leader who led us to victory in the Pacific.
Ian Divertie
Mar 18, 2015 Ian Divertie rated it it was amazing
Was this guy the bees knees or what? The United States produced some incredible human beings in the mid 20th Century. Wish we cold find their ilk today.
Vito
Vito rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Eric C
Eric C rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
John Reiffenstein
John Reiffenstein rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2013
ANTHONY FIGALLO
ANTHONY FIGALLO rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Dave Hargan
Dave Hargan rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Jeffrey R Skaggs
Jeffrey R Skaggs rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Joshua Holy
Joshua Holy rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2015
Baju Murah
Baju Murah rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Steeljaw Scribe
Steeljaw Scribe rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine
  • Battle of Leyte Gulf: 23-26 October 1944
  • Clash of the Carriers: The True Story of the Marianas Turkey Shoot of World War II
  • Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan
  • Samurai!
  • Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
  • Submarine!
  • Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941
  • Midway: the Battle That Doomed Japan
  • General of the Army: George C. Marshall, Soldier and Statesman
  • The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King—the Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea
  • One Hundred Days: The Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander
  • Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life
  • Silent Running
  • Goering
  • Fire In The Sky: The Air War In The South Pacific
  • Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
Elmer Belmont "Ned" Potter was an American historian and author. He was the leading naval historian at the United States Naval Academy from the late 1940s to the mid-1970s, and author/editor, in collaboration with Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, of the Naval Academy's famous textbook on naval history, Sea Power.
More about E.B. Potter...