Start by marking “Eighth Commandment” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Eighth Commandment

Lawrence Sanders

Eighth Commandment (The Commandment #3)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  676 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When the Damaretion, the prized Greek coin from Archibald Havistock's collection, disappears and appraiser Mary Lou "Dunk" Bateson comes under suspicion, Bateson, a cop, and an insurance investigator set out to solve the crime.
Published (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Eighth Commandment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eighth Commandment

Kathryn Flatt
Back in the day, I would buy any paperback I found by Lawrence Sanders. I did a couple of the "Deadly Sins" series, and some of the "Commandment" series as well. This one was good, although not as engrossing as some of his others. One thing that impressed me when I read this, however, was how well a man could write from the point of view of a woman.
Monique
Stayed up way too late with this one twice and finally finished it tonight and it was great, loved it as it catches you and intrigues with the quirky narrator tall Mary Lou Bateson or Dunk and keeps your interest throughout..On a side note I found this book in my now dilapidated bookshelf (thanks alot IKEA LOL) so after insisting I read everything I decided to up and read a book I own and this was it--I believe I read it when I was younger but rereading oldies are the best..Okay so back to the s...more
Jessica Lyons
I started reading this book years ago and got all the way to the last few chapters but never finished it. I found it again and decided to read it from the beginning because I knew the basic story but I wanted to refresh my memory of the details before I found out who stole to coin. By the time I got a little passed part where I had left off, the story started to get a little boring to me. The build of of the story was great though with all the mysteries, twists, and suspects, but the closer to t...more
Dick
Savvy readers of my reviews know that I compile a list of "last lines" (see here) as a counter-punch to my first lines (see here) compendium. Secondly, it helps me remember which books I've read and what I thought about them. That being said, today's latest addition is below.

I sighed and went into the bedroom to phone. I had two calls to make. The first to Al Georgio, telling that estimable man that no, I would not marry him. The second to Jack Smack, telling that flighty tap dancer that yes, I...more
Olivia Williams
I liked the characters in this book. I liked how the author created a world that was real. I read this book in five days. It was hard to o-put down because I wanted to know what Dunk was going to do next. And her love life was just as intriguing as the case she was investigating!
Marcia Bergeron
Very entertaining. Love his character development.
Veronica Berg
This was by far my favorite lawrence sanders books
Marilyn
Mary Lou Bateson, otherwise known as "Dunk," has arrived in NY City from Iowa. At six foot two, Dunk's romantic life has been severely lacking, but all of a sudden she finds herself in the midst of a major coin theft, not to mention two lovies subtly admiring this "tall drink of water." Trying to clear her name of the crime, Dunk learns the ins and outs of true detective work, while enjoying the attentions of two very different kinds of men! Decisions! Decisions!

Sanders has a great sense of hum...more
Jaime
This book was not at all what I expected. I’ve never read Lawrence Sanders, and based on the little bit that was on the back of the book I was expecting a more serious whodunit. What I got instead was funny and lighthearted and, most surprising, featured an interesting and endearing female lead character. I hope he’s written more books with Mary Lou Bateson in them, because I really liked her and related to her right away. I didn’t completely agree with the decision she makes at the end of the b...more
Irina slutsky
another book i got out of the "free books" box at red hill books. not a bad mystery plot and has funny characters (i can see this as a movie) but men like lawrence should NOT try to write as if they understand the inner workings of women. she essentially gets involved with these two guys who she knows for about 15 hours a piece (i counted) and then makes life changing decisions after sleeping with each three times. just stick to the funny characters and the mystery.
Barbara VA
One of my favorite "reliable" authors. Sanders is just a joy for me. He has done a few series, stand alones, hard core, agonizing and brutal stories, way out there stuff and then the fun and light stories of Archie McNally. This stand alone is set in New York City and has a female main character, a numismatist. Dunk is thoughtful, caring and is as well equipped to deal with the solving of the stolen coin as the adoration of 2 men. This man knows the city!
Janet
The first Lawrence Sanders book I ever read was the First Deadly Sin and I was hooked. There was another Deadly Sin book that I really liked as well. Although this book kept me interested enough while I was on the stationary bike at the gym, the ending was a little disappointing. However, if there are more Dunk books, I would read them.
Elizabeth
This is the first Sanders book I have read that did not involve Archy McNally. I was a little concerned that I may not like Sanders' writing, but actually just like the McNally character. Fortunately, that is not the case. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the protagonist (a woman who is called "Dunk") was relatable.
Sharon
A good mystery with a lot of laughter. This author made serious theft and murder with a quirky heroine fun. A good read. This is the first book I read by this author. I will definitely read another.
Sharon
I've read several of Sanders earlier novels which I enjoy more than is later ones but had not read this one. I enjoyed the unexpected humor, the twist and turns in the plot and the surprise ending.
Rusty
Lawrence Sanders is one of my favorite mystery authors and I enjoyed this one as much as any of his other mysteries that I have read.
Clifford
A good read with many story line twists in the first person. Characterization and setting so so, however, enjoyable.
Lorma
A great tale of lust, vengeance and murder among NY's rich.. Fantastic story telling.
Deb
light hearted mystery...not as thought provoking as many 4 stars, but fun
Gloria
A quick, mindless read - not bad but I wouldn't say it was a favorite
Jim
Mystery set in NYC involving coin collecting.
Ginny
Typical Sanders read with a new character.
Nadine
Love all the early Lawrence Sanders
Gordon Kuntz
An entertaining quick read.
Mike
Good Sanders work.
Cws
M San
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Matthew Hope, #2)
  • Goodbye, Janette
  • Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation
  • The Descent of Anansi
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Artifact of Evil (Greyhawk Adventures, #2)
  • High Crimes
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex
  • Star Flight
  • Black Heart
  • Homegoing
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • Before the Dawn (Dark Angel, #1)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter, #4)
  • Futureland
  • The Next President
  • Aftershock: A Thriller (Aftershock, #1)
  • The Matchmaker
Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with his acclaimed Commandment books. Stand-alone...more
More about Lawrence Sanders...
The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2) McNally's Secret The Third Deadly Sin The Second Deadly Sin McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)