Start by marking “Downfall (Intervention, #3)” as Want to Read:
Downfall (Intervention, #3)

Downfall (Intervention #3)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,097 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Emily Covington has turned her life around after a drug addiction, but her family still has trouble trusting her. Though Emily has committed herself to a year-long treatment program and has been sober for almost a year beyond that, even her mother walks on eggshells around her, fearing she ll relapse. After her behavior during her drug years, Emily realizes she has a lot t...more
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published February 16th 2012 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Downfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downfall

Julie Graves
The Covington Family can’t seem to catch a break from the bad guys!

In Downfall the Covington’s have moved to Atlanta so that Barbara and Kent can be near each other to explore their feelings for each other. Barbara also was hoping that getting away from their old home would help Emily in her recovery. Unfortunately trouble seems to follow this family wherever they go.

First a bomb is planted under Emily’s car. On the same day a woman is murdered whom Emily knows. Putting the pieces together Emily...more
T. Edmund
This is my first jaunt into the Intervention Series, and I have to say I'm impressed.

Normally a book like this would have me tearing my hair out over being 'told' not 'shown', the convoluted, sometimes silly, and too convenient plot, and the absolute sap drenching the feel-good moments.

But, I actually found myself enjoying Downfall, there was good balance between thriller and personal plot-lines, and the prose, while basic was earnest and easy to read.

Sure, my mind wasn't blown away, nonetheless...more
Linda
I was captivated by Intervention and Vicious Cycle, so I jumped at the chance to review this final book in the series. In a word: Wow! Terri Blackstock once again kept me riveted to the page into the wee hours. She has seamlessly showed the perspective of the story from various angles: Emily's struggles, her mother's roller coaster of emotions, Lance's experiences, and Homicide Detective Kent Harlan's professional and personal commitment. She even pulls back the killer's mask just enough to allo...more
Ruth Hill
I am always amazed by Christian authors who can write such unbelievable, action-packed mystery books that really draw the reader in and keep him/her on the edge of his/her seat. And Terri Blackstock is indeed one of those authors. Once I seriously began reading, I almost could not put it down.

Drugs and alcohol have been a part of our family, but I am basically unfamiliar with this world. The author herself writes from her own experience, and it makes all the difference. I can sense her heart, an...more
Book Him Danno
A good romance with a God centered character who wants to reform her ways and become someone that she and others can rely on. I will be reviewing this title on my blog in the next few weeks and copy the full review here at that time.

This is a fast paced murder mystery that starts with a bang. Poor Emily and her family are caught in the middle of something they have no idea about. Past experiences shade the way the family response to Emily and this crisis. In life we all shade our experience fro...more
Trinity Rose
I’ve been following the Intervention Series since it came out. Downfall is the third and last book in the series and what an ending to the series. I loved it. This series shows and tells us how drug use really causes so much harm and how things escalate out of control. No one who takes that first drug ever thinks they will be a drug addict. It just leads to more and more bad decisions.
All of Terri Blackstock’s books are fantastic and Downfall is also.
The same compelling characters as the fi...more
Pat W. Kirk
Emily has come through a long fight to overcome her drug addiction, but she has successfully navigated her abstinence for two years. Barbara, her mother, stood by and suffered with her during the worst and Emily is having trouble earning her trust. Barbara believes the nightmare begins anew every time Emily stays out late or does something she did during her years of addiction. Emily attends college now and enjoys her new addiction-free friends—who stay out late.

When Barbara comes to Atlanta to...more
Michelle
Let me start off by saying I loved how the story ended. That's not always the case, but here it was perfect. Though chock full of murder and intrigue, this story had a lot of things going for it. The romance was heart-warming and believable. I was routing for the couple to endure and come out stronger in the end. There were a number of dynamic characters that I remembered from the prior book and I was glad to see them return for the last installment of the series. Their struggles were believable...more
K
I did not know this was a christian book when I picked it up, and I probably wouldn't have read it if I did know. The story was really good and suspenseful for a good portion of the book. I was really into it and really wanted to know who the killer was (which was an interesting twist). However, the christian stuff in the book was too much for me and I think detracted from the main story. There were a couple of times where I almost didn't even finish it because the christian details were just to...more
Carolyn E
Apr 08, 2012 Carolyn E rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Another great story from Terri Blackstock! I love all of her books. Blackstock's Intervention series is all about teenage drug addiction and what it can do not only to the addict, but also to the entire family. Unfortunately, once a teenager starts down this path, it is extremely difficult for any of his/her family members to help. Outside intervention is nearly always necessary, which is what this series is all about.

It is a great series; I recommend it.
Tamara
DOWNFALL, book three in the Intervention series by Terri Blackstock was riveting.

The Intervention series continues with the Covington family.

Barbara has moved her family to Atlanta for two reasons. One – to put some distance between her daughter, Emily and her druggie friends. Two – so she can be closer to Detective Kent Harlan, the man she’s following in love with.

Emily is two years sober and has slowly put her life back together. She’s in college and working at a recovery center, but her moth...more
C.J. Darlington
Another powerful novel in the Intervention series. It was good to catch up with the Covingtons again. Blackstock adeptly shows what the life of an addict (even recovering addicts) can be like. She shows hope and cautions in the same novel. Fans will be pleased.
Bill Tillman
The book starts out fast and finishes even faster. A real wild ride in the lives of addicts and former people with abuse problems. Great twists as everyone remains one step behind a diabolical killer.
Lisa Carter
Any time spent reading a Terri Blackstock novel is time well-spent. Enjoy.
Paula  Phillips
Do you love reading Edgy Christian fiction ? Find it more engrossing than your everyday sweet, inspirational, romantic or Amish christian fiction ? For me personally, I have always been a huge fan of this theme of genre as it excites me, it intrigues and draws me in as well as the fact it is fascinating to read about. Downfall is the third book in Terri Blackstock's Intervention series which follows the Covington family of Emily, Lance and their mother Barbara. Downfall is set two years later an...more
Lenore Webb
I have to tell you about a new book that is being released tomorrow! It is by Terri Blackstock and many of you may already know her. I loved reading Shadow in Serenity this fall. I have a friend who loves Terri and is going to share her books with me. Isn't that what friends do?

Well let me tell you about 'Downfall'. It is a great quick read but full of twist and turns. I loved the realism of a family dealing with recovery as the focal point to the story. It is hard to have trust once it has been...more
In the final book of the Intervention series, Emily, who has been sober for two years, is still trying to convince herself and her family that she has put her drug use behind her. When she finds a bomb under her car, leaving her past behind gets a little harder, especially when people connected to her start dying….and Emily is blamed. Will her mom and Kent be able to find the killer before Emily is the next victim?

What I have enjoyed most about this series is that it realistically shows the stru...more
Christy
All of Terri Blackstock's books are great from start to finish...doesn't matter which one I pick up. I know that every single time I read one, I'm going be riveted by the story and glued to every page.

Downfall was no exception. While I'm extremely disappointed that this was the last book in the Intervention series, I can honestly say that it was a great conclusion because truly, the Covington family's nerves are probably frayed to threads after all the ordeals they've been through!

The suspense w...more
Linda B
Emily is a former drug user who caused much trouble and danger for her family. She is now clean and sober and attending college when trouble seems to find her again. Just when things seem to be going well, her life starts spiraling out of control.

This is a good mystery with twists that kept me guessing until the end. The theme of trust runs throughout this book as evidence shows up that makes Emily look bad. Her family loves her, but can’t help but wonder if she has slipped back into addiction....more
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Emily Covington, despite her past life of severe drug addiction, has turned her life around, committing her self to a yearlong treatment program and has been completely sober for a little over a year now. Despite her efforts though, her family still has trouble trusting her, always afraid that she may relapse; Emily has a lot to prove.

One morning as Emily rushes out to her car to make it on time for her college exam, she sets fire to her car by turning the ignition and discovers a homemade bomb...more
Robin
Downfall
Terri Blackstock

Book Summary: Book 3 of the Intervention Series. Emily Covington has turned her life around after a drug addiction, but her family still has trouble trusting her. Though Emily has committed herself to a year-long treatment program and has been sober for almost a year beyond that, even her mother walks on eggshells around her, fearing she'll relapse. After her behavior during her drug years, Emily realizes she has a lot to prove. When police discover a homemade bomb under...more
Melanie
Mar 17, 2012 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends, family
Shelves: favorites
This is the third book in Terri Blackstock's "Intervention" series.
The story takes place in Georgia, new home for the Covington family. Emily is trying to escape her drug junkie past by going to college and taking a new job. She wants to prove that she can stay clean.
Lance, her brother, is attending a new school where he doesn't seem to fit in and is missing his friends from Jeff City, where he was considered a hero for being involved in helping save a young mom and her baby.
Their mom, Barbar...more
Sela
There are a few authors whom I love to read and get excited any time they come out with a new book. Terri Blackstock is one of those.

I haven’t read every single one of Ms. Blackstock’s books, but the ones that I have read, I’ve enjoyed. She falls into the Christian/Mystery/Suspense/Romance books. My husband likes to poke fun at these books, but I enjoy them as engaging and fun reads. This book was no exception.

I have not read the other two books in the Intervention series, but I was able to pic...more
Krystal
Jan 06, 2012 Krystal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc

Emily has finally turned her life around, but she learns that trust is not so easily earned back. The reader should refer back to the first books in the series to make sure that he/she understands the magnitude of Emily's change and the overall significance. The reader will be happy to re-acquaint him/herself with the familiar characters and meet a few new characters. Emily knows that someone is after her, but she doesn't know the motive or who the antagonist could possibly be. She must discover...more
Christian Fiction Addiction
Downfall is the third book in the Intervention Series, and sees the return of the Covington family. Emily Covington has worked hard to achieve two years of sobriety from her drug addictions that so damaged her family, while her mom has obtained a new job and her brother Lance is trying to survive highschool. The progress and healing the family has experienced is cast into doubt when a home-made bomb is attached to Emily's car and a woman is murdered. The cascade of events that follows thrusts Em...more
Tima
Emily is a recovering drug addict. So when life around her starts to fall apart, it's very difficult for her family to believe that she has nothing to do with it.

Murder, drug addicts, and love are all in this thriller. It's the final book in the Intervention series and while I haven't read the first books, I'd have to say it's a winner.
The story plot kept me guessing the entire time. I enjoy a mystery that keeps me guessing or throws in the unexpected. It was fast paced and yet had time to weave...more
Rosie
I have to start out by saying I did not enjoy this book as much as I enjoyed the previous two. I was hoping, and expecting, to see another outlook on drug addiction. Presented similarly to how it was in Vicious Cycle. But I'm not going to rail on how it fell short of my expectations. There was much I did like in Downfall, thus keeping my rating at 4/5 stars.

In Downfall, Emily wakes up one morning to find someone has put a homemade bomb on her car. Then a prescription drug is found on the Coving...more
Casey
“Up All Night Fiction” was a pretty good description for what I wanted to do several points in the novel “Downfall”. Over the last three nights I was glued to the pages of this latest suspense and more than once didn’t want to go to bed, but to only keep reading for one…more…chapter. (They are short, honestly!)

After following the characters of Emily, Lance, Barbara and Kent for three books, you’ve come to know them and how they think and act in a scene. I’ve really enjoyed seeing Emily progress...more
Ibjoy1953
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

Terri Blackstock is such a gifted writer. I love everything she writes including “Downfall.” I appreciate that Terri deals with tough issues that people deal with everyday, and always finds a workable solution, including trusting the Lord with their lives and letting Him work in and through them.

Emily Covington wants to prove herself to everyone, assuring them that her life with drugs is over. But when things start happening to her, and since it looks like someone wants h...more
Christine Barfknecht
Terri Blackstock pulls it off again! She is known for her "Up All Night" fiction and Downfall doesn't disappoint with many twists and turns that kept me gripping the book like a lifeline.

Just like with the first two installments of the Intervention series, we get the opportunity to experience drug addiction and recovery in realistic, multiple points of view. First there is Emily, the recovering addict bound and determined to show her family that she has changed. Her mother, Barbara, lives life...more
  • The Last Plea Bargain
  • Gone to Ground
  • When the Smoke Clears (Deadly Reunions, #1)
  • Lion of Babylon
  • The Chase (Crime Scene: Houston, #1)
  • False Pretenses (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #1)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Guardians of Justice, #2)
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Accused (Pacific Coast Justice, #1)
  • Firethorn (Discarded Heroes #4)
  • Greater Love (Tides of Truth, #3)
  • Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2)
  • Deliver Us from Evil: A Novel
  • Cry in the Night (Rock Harbor Series #5)
  • Not in the Heart
19811
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived...more
More about Terri Blackstock...
Night Light (Restoration #2) Last Light (Restoration, #1) Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1) Southern Storm (Cape Refuge Series, #2) Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4)