Start by marking “The Year that Everything Changed” as Want to Read:

The Year that Everything Changed

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  686 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews

“Bockoven is magic.”
—Catherine Coulter

Four sisters who never knew their father—or each other—come together around his deathbed and learn what it means to be a family in The Year Everything Changed , a magnificent novel brimming with heart and feeling from author Georgia Bockoven. The bestselling, award-winning writer who enthralled readers with The Beach House and Another

Published (first published August 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Year that Everything Changed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year that Everything Changed

Michelle
The Year Everything Changed is an immensely readable, albeit predictable, story about family and love. Four women are thrown together at the behest of their biological father. Two never knew him; two were seemingly abandoned by him at young ages. All must adjust their expectations and opinions of him in order to seek closure, if closure is what they seek. No matter what their relationship to their biological father, all must adjust to the fact that they each have three "new" sisters.

There is not
Shaheena
Mar 03, 2012 Shaheena rated it it was amazing
I read this entire book last night. Something about it made me keep reading and although I agree some of it was predictable, it was written in a way that I just could not put it down and had some true surprises in it.

It seems every book I read lately is written in the manner of a prologue, epilogue and chapters from different people. This usually annoys me but something about the author's writing kept me very engaged. This must be a current trend in novels and although it has it's benefits, I'd
Gaby
Dec 21, 2011 Gaby rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed The Year Everything Changed. It's a story about sisters who didn't know their father or that they even had sisters. The four sisters have very little in common. Their mothers, upbringing, and opportunities were vastly different. Each is sympathetic in their own way. Although I was particularly fond of Ginger - the beautiful girl who didn't know that she'd been adopted. The anger, resentment, hopefulness and friendship that develops among the sisters makes the story an absorbi ...more
Sharon
Jul 19, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
A good book to read while relaxing on the deck on a beautiful day - rather predictable, but an easy, decent read.
(Lonestarlibrarian) Keddy Ann Outlaw
I've read so many of these books where sisters bond after a parent's death that perhaps I've grown a little jaded. In this case, the four sisters only learned each other existed shortly before their millionaire father, Jesse. dies. Most of them felt abandoned by their father and have hostile mindsets towards both him and their new half-sisters. Lucy, Jesse's lawyer, has always felt an unrequited love for the man. And so she makes a deal with him to record the story of his life to share with his ...more
Tammy
Jan 07, 2012 Tammy rated it really liked it
April
Jan 18, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
A story of four women, four complete strangers, and the link that ties them all together: an estranged father. A father, in some cases, that wasn't known to exist until the presence of a mysterious letter sent by an attorney in Sacramento. The letter claimed the man to be their father, claimed he wanted to see them before he passed, claimed he was dying.

Jessie Reed admitted he made mistakes and wanted to do all he could to correct them before it was too late.

Elizabeth, Ginger, Rachel and Christi
Ami
Oct 22, 2012 Ami rated it it was ok
Ridiculously cliche and trite, this book had my teeth on edge for half of the novel. The second half of the novel I spent recovering from whiplash as the author put us (and her characters) through a frantic and hurried pace. And yet, I felt compelled to finish the story, to know for sure how it would all end. (As if there were any doubts.)
I realize that the author's intent was to have a character that the audience believed to be beyond redemption and yet somehow redeem the fellow. However, in do
Karen
Jun 22, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Four half sisters (unknown to each other) are drawn together by father's will and promise of inheritance. Along the way, they figure out answers to their life circumstances. Although I enjoyed the book, I felt it too long and at times unable to keep all the characters straight.
Kristine
Feb 02, 2015 Kristine rated it really liked it
Four grown women find out that they are all daughters of a rich, dying man. They never knew they had sisters and grew up barely knowing about their dad. The will asks that the daughters meet 6 times to listen to tapes recorded by their father right before he died. They will not inherit any money unless they meet together to listen to the tapes. The story has a very nice ending.
Karen Cino
Mar 15, 2015 Karen Cino rated it it was amazing
A beautiful written book that captured my attention from page 1. The story of the four sisters all were different but they all led back to each other. Gloria Bockoven has written some of the best women's fiction I have read in a very long time.
Ellen
Apr 29, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it
It's an easy read with interesting characters, fleshed out so as to be realistic. I think it would be a good book for a book group. The situation is believable, leading to many "what if this happened to you?" discussions.
Ann Liford boehnke
May 03, 2014 Ann Liford boehnke rated it it was ok
A dying man with a past, four women all unknown to each other, each growing up believing an untruth about who they are, a lawyer who wants to give her client his last wish makes for a manipulative but interesting story.
Mary C
May 18, 2015 Mary C rated it really liked it
What a refreshing different read. Just a little tough to keep track of the sisters, but enjoyable because it lead in different directions then most books of this nature.
Peggy
Jul 27, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the different lives within it. Interesting plot but I liked the way the author created the characters.
Nancy Burke
Oct 21, 2013 Nancy Burke rated it really liked it
Powered right through this book. It is about 4 women with the same father. The catch is that each never knew the others existed. When the father finds out he is dying, he makes a last ditch effort to try and set the record straight on why he left each of them and didn't try to see them again, and, ask forgiveness. The premise is a bit unbelievable, but still compelling and I found myself picking up the book every chance I had. You will alternately root for the dad, either or all of the women, ha ...more
Holly
Jun 18, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Liked the feel of this book...good characters and development of their relationship. Anxious to check out more by this author.
Toni
Oct 04, 2011 Toni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read Michelle's review- it says everything I am thinking and says it better .
The book is predictable and I never seem to connect with the characters. They never become real for me.At times, they seem too contrived, as if they were created just to make the plot work and therefore did not evolve as some characters do. I like to feel that the characters are "living" the story as I share it with them. Saying all that, I had to finish it. That being said 24 hours after finishing it ,I could not reme
Janet Friesner
Mar 18, 2016 Janet Friesner rated it liked it
I think this was a reread. It seemed very familiar but it was extremely good and I enjoyed reading it even if it were the second time. Story of a man who had 4 daughters by different mothers through the years and none knew they had a sister until he was dying and called them all together. They all hated him because they had been abandoned by their father and one had been adopted and did not know it til she received the letter from the lawyer. After he died they were gathered together to hear the ...more
Patricia
Jul 15, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing
A book that will capture your attention til the end. Check it out!
Judy
Jul 12, 2015 Judy rated it it was ok
Schlocky beach reading, nothing more.
Laurie
Jun 24, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Really enjoy Georgia's writing style
Allison Armstrong
Jul 20, 2014 Allison Armstrong rated it really liked it
Liked it.
Cindy
Feb 13, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
When I started this book I was not sure of what the story was about. I had read the blurb on it and had read another book Georgia Bockoven. I started the book and once I got in could not put it down and did not believe the twists and turns. the story starts out about 4 women and their lives and how the come to meet and then become fast friends. I do not want togive the plot away, so I will say read the book and you will enjoy a book about friendships and what new friends can do for each other.
Jan
Jun 12, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub-read
Very good choice for book club. I stayed up late to finish it! I really liked the characters, and it kept me interested.
Cfrench1
Jan 24, 2014 Cfrench1 rated it really liked it
Although it was a bit predictable in places, it was an enjoyable light story, which was exactly what I was looking for.
Mary Anne
Feb 24, 2012 Mary Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book about four sisters who had never met each other or even knew each other existed. They are pulled together by the terms of their father's will. It is interesting to see how their relationships grow and develop over the course of the book. It was also fascinating to see how their opinions of their father change. The book was very readable and a fairly quick read. Nothing real deep or thought provoking - just a good story.
Amy
Dec 19, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. If you enjoy Elin Hildebrand or Kristen Hannah, you're apt to like this, too. The characters are fleshed out nicely and rang true to me. The plot device was interesting and while predictable at times, the author managed to keep me invested in the sisters and their journey. Probably not going to change your life- but it will definitely make for enjoyable reading for a few days.
Alicia
Jan 07, 2013 Alicia added it
Shelves: 2013
It was okay. A little predictable toward the end. I enjoyed getting to know the four sisters and hearing the story. I couldn't put the book down for the first half but after the one of the sister's "plot/story lines" I almost wanted to just put it down and guess what happened. Christina's story felt a little fake and Rachel and Elizabeth's was incredibly predictable ( almost). Overall an enjoyable read.
  • Winter Bloom
  • Keeping Time
  • Here, Home, Hope
  • The Art of Saying Goodbye: A Novel
  • Good-bye and Amen
  • More Things In Heaven and Earth (Watervalley, #1)
  • The Secret of Lies
  • Little Gale Gumbo
  • The Life You've Imagined
  • Lost on Brier Island
  • Three Moons Over Sedona
Georgia was a Army child, who after a successful career as a freelance photo journalist before she turned to fiction writing. Published since 1983, she is an award-winning author whose books have sold more than four million copies worldwide. Her romance novel, A Marriage of Convenience, became a CBS movie in October of 1998 starring Jane Seymour and James Brolin.

Married wich John Bockoven, she is
More about Georgia Bockoven...

“from her soul. “Jeff?” She touched his face. “Jeff? Goddamn it, Jeff—don’t you dare die on me.” He squeezed her hand. Blood trickled from his ear and nose. “Go. . . .” He was going to die. She knew it the same way she knew she’d never been destined for true happiness. She was tainted, one of life’s misfits, not deserving, unworthy. There was a dark corner of her mind that reminded her of these things, a voice that warned her and kept her from being surprised when something bad happened. She was the dog raised alone on a chain in a backyard with a clear view of the dog next door, the one that had never known a boot in the ribs or a night in the rain. “All right. I’m going.” She reached for the handle; the door was jammed. She climbed through the window and dropped to the sand. She caught her breath as pain shot through her body. Everything hurt, her head, her lungs, her knees, even her breast where the seat belt had lain across her chest.” 1 likes