Start by marking “The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still” as Want to Read:
The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still

The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still (Aberystwyth Noir #6)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  28 reviews
It is May in Aberystwyth, and the mayoral election campaign - culminating in the traditional boxing match between candidates - is underway. Sospan the ice-cream seller waits in his hut for souls brave enough to try his latest mind-expanding new flavour, and Louie Knight, Aberystwyth's only Private Detective, receives a visit from a mysterious stranger called Raspiwtin aski ...more
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still

Robert
Aliens. Maybe.
Men in Black. Maybe.
Hallucinogenic icecream. Definitely.
Absurdity; triple scoop.
Aberyswyth's only PI bashed over the head? Yep.

Must be a Louie Knight novel mystery!

Yes, another in the spoof noir detective series where the mean streets of Aber are over run with iniquity and sin and Louie Knight takes the most preposterous cases imaginable. In this case, finding a man hung for murder last seen catching a bus to Aberaeron...

It's silly and it's equal parts in love with Philip Marlowe a
Gary
Pryce's usual high standard of philosophical crime noir all set in a time warped Aberystwyth. I'd advise anyone new to the series to start at the beginning and you've got a lovely series of books to wend your way through, armed with a cup of tea (not necessarily laced with Jack Daniels) and a slice of battenburg. One of a kind and one of the best. Recommended.
Rob Kitchin
The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still is the sixth book in the Louie Knight series. Pryce has really hit his stride with the series now. The principal characters - Knight, Calamity, Sospan, Eyeore - are all well established and the slightly surrealist rendering of Aberystwyth and its surrounds is fully realised. I thought the first half of this book was excellent and I was sure it was going to be a five star review. The story grabs one's attention, there is a hefty dose of humour which made me laugh o ...more
Jackie
The further adventures of Louie Knight, Abertswtwyth's only private detective, and his sidekick Calamity continues with a search for Iestyn Probert. A man who was hanged for his part in the Great Coliseum robbery, caught because he was a soft- hearted getaway car driver who stopped his escape in order to take an injured pedestrian to the doctor. Or was he in fact hanged?
Add to this, aliens, men in black, human cannonballs, giant gingerbread aliens and the boxing contest to find the next Mayor o
Malcolm
Malcolm Pryce’s alternative world is one of the odder in contemporary fiction, in that he has opted for a version of Aberystwyth that for some may be hard to distinguish from the actual place – except for the maniacal druids who seem to want to take over the world and similar quirks. But then his parody is not of Aberystwyth, but of crime noir, hard boiled loner detective fiction – so the richness of the series depends on knowing your Dashiell Hammett and his ilk. (Each of the books also relies ...more
Isabel
‘I don't want to be a killjoy, but aliens in silver suits? Looking humanoid? Why would they look like us if they were from a different star system?'
‘I don't know. Maybe they just disguise themselves to look like us so as not to frighten us, the same way people who shoot ducks have whistles that sound like duck calls.'
‘Don't you think it's odd, though, that these super-advanced beings from another star system keep crashing their saucers?'
She began to lose patience with me. ‘They don't keep crashi
Alexander Kasbohm
Read the first book of the Aberystwyth series a couple of years ago and thought it was a terrible mess of bad plotting and terribly obvious jokes. You can see the punchlines coming towards you on the promenade of Aberystwyth for miles, waving and shouting, only to collapse in a heap of dust, once they reach you. But I liked the basic premesis of an Alternative Wales with magic and druids and a misplaced hard boiled detective. So I gave this one a try and have to admit it is pretty good. Pryce le ...more
Lara
No entiendo si el final es plagio, coincidencia u homenaje a Sagan. Venía para 5/5 pero me distrajo por completo y fue muy anticlimático.
Richard Staines
I have read all of the series. And this one is my favourite. Maybe because I like sci-fi and Men in Black. So the mix was a good combo for me.
Suzie
I bought a signed copy of this actually in Aberystwyth. Which was nice.

Six books in and it still feels like the appeal of this series is closer to a horrible fascination, but somehow you can't stop reading them despite the unintelligible plots, unpronounceable names and desperately bleak outlook.

This time it's alien landings, resurrections, a smattering of domestic violence and the race to become mayor, although as always it's Louie and Calamity who really make the book for me, and in this have
David Grieve
Another slice of surreal noir set in the badlands of Aberystwyth. In turns funny, philosphical and thought provoking and always entertaining. The big question is whether aliens really did land in Ystrad Meurig and resurrect a local criminal and what bearing that has on the current mayoral race, to be decided by human cannonball and a prize fight. And that's just the start. Wonderful stuff.
Richard Hein
In this book, aliens invade Aberystwth, Louie investigates a supposed resurrection and Sospan serves the rarest of ice creams. Brilliant dialogue as only Malcom Pryce could do. Read the series in order to inhabit the world of Aberystwth. If you are fan a fan of noir and Monty Python-esque comedy, you will love this book!
Louise
Another pleasing outing for Louie, calamity,sospan etc etc.
I do have a weakness for these books, it could be my fondness for all those ll and ch words, or just the wierd and wonderful characters and plot twists.
Better than some of the earlier stories....
I'm loving sospan and his bizarre ice cream flavours.
Judy Mills
Enjoyable, tangled, ridiculous, entertaining. As expected from Mr Pryce.
Stephen
this is the best of the series so far the welsh roswell of 1965 and the missing aliens/hanged man who comes back to life on the day aberystwyth stood still and pryce makes sure you are taken on a ride in the gothic/film noir parallel world of aberyswyth
Gareth Evans
One might expect that this series might be getting a little tired, but Knight's alternative universe of Aberystwyth is still fresh. The plot, dialogue and characters still amuse and this is one of the strongest of the series.
Karen
This is the 6th book in the series and an okayish read. Feel though that he is running out of steam and that he should move onto something else. The first book in the series "Aberystwyth Mon Amour" was great.
Maxim
One of my favourite series.
This 6th volume has, of course, lovely, touching as well as funny moments, but the plot gets bogged down too often with a plethora of speechifying. Pity!
Mary
Yet another highly amusing tale from Wales. Very funny although I think more amusing if you have actually lived in Wales at some point. But a fun read and I enjoyed it a lot.
Jackie Mcwilliams
I really enjoyed the previous 5 books in this series but I have to admit I struggled with this one. The story seems to drag and there is very little action.
Bookfrogglin
This was my first visit to Pryce's Aberystwyth. Whilst it was pleasant enough, it didn't set my world on fire. Perhaps it's better the second time around...
David Richards

A very good 6th book in the series. Reason the previous books is a must to understand some of the back story.
Colleen
Love the series. Plotting is always a problem but characters, humor and a bit of poetry is present, as always
Fraser Cook
Disappointing. Bleaker and less whimsical than the previous books in the series.
Richard Bridges
I still find these difficult to read, but I always enjoy them.
Jude Brigley
Very funny in parts but not as good as some earlier books.
Disastra
Another excellent trip out for Louie Knight.
Andrew Cotterill
amusing, but not the best in the series.
Tobias
Tobias marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • Extreme Malice
  • Bullets and Fire
  • Android: Free Fall
  • The Stone Giant
  • KOP Killer (Juno Mozambe Mystery, #3)
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • Bad Ass Faeries
  • Lies & Omens (Shadows Inquiries, #4)
  • The Norfolk Mystery (The County Guides, #1)
  • Dead Man's Hand (anthology)
Malcolm Pryce is a British author, mostly known for his noir detective novels.

Born in Shrewsbury, England, Pryce moved at the age of nine to Aberystwyth, where he later attended Penglais Comprehensive School before leaving to do some travelling. After working in a variety of jobs. including BMW assembly-line worker in Germany, hotel washer-up, "the world's worst aluminium salesman", and deck hand
More about Malcolm Pryce...
Aberystwyth Mon Amour (Aberystwyth Noir, #1) Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2) The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #3) Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #4) From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5)