Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,858,359 Ratings  ·  58,411 Reviews
Librarian note: an alternate cover for this edition can be found here.

Harry Potter has never played a sport while flying on a broomstick. He's never worn a cloak of invisibility, befriended a giant, or helped hatch a dragon. All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny closet at
Published October 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc. (first published June 26th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, please sign up.

Olivia YESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the…moreYESSS!!!! It is definitely worth reading the books because, the thing is, you DON'T know what's going to happen. They leave loads of things out of the movies so the books are much more interesting. You should definitely read the books.(less)
Alyssandra In the United States, the term philosopher commonly refers to a scholar of philosophy, rather than an alchemist or magician.

Rowling and her American…more

Rowling and her American editors decided to change the name to Sorcerer because it had a deeper magical presence and would not misinform U.S. audiences of Flamel's occupation.

You can read a bit more about the change here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/f...(less)

Lora
Aug 20, 2015 Lora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is still waiting to read it
Recommended to Lora by: Tina, Morgan, my own curiosity
I'm going to keep this brief since there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said. *clears throat*
I think the reason I waited so long to read this series is because I just couldn't imagine myself enjoying reading about an eleven-year-old boy and his adventures at a school of wizardry. I thought it would be too juvenile for my taste. I was wrong, of course.
I can honestly say that I loved every minute of this. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters t
Voldemort
Aug 14, 2013 Voldemort rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disgrace to all pure bloods. My head looked quite dashing on that strange professor's head.. If only I could have extended my stay. Harry Potter.. This is not over yet.
Scarlet

Sasha Alsberg
Oct 23, 2015 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why the heck did I not read Harry Potter before now...its flipping magical (literally)!
★ Jess
My original review was a comparison of sorts between Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is stupid as the two are incomparable. In honesty, its not even worth discussing. Its not just that Twilight doesn't come close, it is the fact that Harry Potter transcends other works. Its peerless. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: It "ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."

There was a day when I thought I needed to defend Harry Pott
Khanh (the Grinch)
Rereading for the 3rd time for the group read.

Once upon a time, there was a 10th grader named Khanh who didn't get along with people very well. She wasn't an outcast in school, and all the bullying and teasing stopped with the commencement of high school, but she had always been a bookworm and has generally preferred the company of her own thoughts.

Lunchtime had always been dedicated not to eating, but to sitting in the library, browsing through books.

(Not to worry, she got her nutrition in 5th
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 16, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: favorites, own
Review for Illustrated Edition

Perfect. Duh.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

OH LORDY. Every time I read this book it brings back so many memories, and also gets me excited to read the rest of the series again as well because there is so much foreshadowing!!

For example:
-Sirius Black is casually mentioned in the first chapter
-Mrs. Figg is talked about a bit, as she looks after Harry from time to time (or all the time, ayyyy?)
-it always cracks me up when Hagrid says you'd have
Navessa
Feb 21, 2016 Navessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There are no words to do this book justice.
Etnik
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 06, 2014 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Purplycookie, Jzhun and Ruby
Shelves: 501, childrens
How can more than half of my Goodreads friends be wrong with this?

I have to get this right. As of this writing, I have 98 Goodreads friends. 61 (62%) of them have read J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Out of those who read this, 39 (64%) rated this with 5 stars. 11 of them with 4 stars. All the others gave 3 or 2. Only 2 rated this with 1 star. One of them admitted not being able to finish it. She should not have rated it really since she did not read its entirety. (But she
Stephen
On my list of reasons why my daughters are the bestest thing to ever happen to me, Number 14,577 is that they gave me, at 41 years old, the perfect excuse to revisit the Harry Potter series.

When my oldest angel told me she wanted to start reading the Harry Potter books, I couldn’t have been happier. As I was collecting all seven volumes off the shelf to bring up to her room, I started feeling nostalgic for the whole Hogwarts gang, and I realized that I’d never done more than a perfunctory revie
Oct 23, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-is-fun
Yes, I've been living under a rock.
Wendy Darling
Current project: re-reading HP.

My history: I was a young adult when this first book came out, and the print book never really grabbed me when I gave it a try. I found that I very much enjoyed the American audiobooks with Jim Dale narrating, however, so I read the first few books this way. But this came to an end when I misplaced the fourth book and no longer had a long commute--I never did reach the end of that wretchedly long quidditch game, so I gave up.

But here it is, 2015 and I'm trying ag
Wil Wheaton
May 13, 2014 Wil Wheaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As wonderful and magical as promised. Because I didn't remember the movie, the third act of the book was a delightful surprise to me.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid, because the idea that someone could be special without knowing it, and then get to visit a special world where the things that made him different were the same things that made him awesome would have been really inspiring to me.

Anne's finishing this, too, and I have to wait for her before I start in on the second book ...
Harold Bloom
May 29, 2007 Harold Bloom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, the carrion-eaters of scholarship
Shelves: therabblement
Can 35 Million Book Buyers Be Wrong? Yes.

Taking arms against Harry Potter, at this moment, is to emulate Hamlet taking arms against a sea of troubles. By opposing the sea, you won't end it. The Harry Potter epiphenomenon will go on, doubtless for some time, as J. R. R. Tolkien did, and then wane.

The official newspaper of our dominant counter-culture, The New York Times, has been startled by the Potter books into establishing a new policy for its not very literate book review. Rather than crowd o
Inge
This doesn't really need a review, does it?

This series is brilliant and it will live on forever in our hearts and minds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I wasn't going to review this for Rabid Reads, but then I was reminded of the multitudes of unfortunates who haven't read HARRY POTTER yet . . .

I ask myself:

Me: How can this be?
Self: *shrugs awkwardly*
Me: The HARRY POTTER books breathed new life into readers of all ages. They're amazing, wonderful, fantastic, addicting, SUPERLATIVE--
Self: *nods emphatic agreement*

So what's the deal people?

Boiled down to its most basic elements, HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE is u
Zoë
Feb 07, 2015 Zoë rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I will never ever rate this lower than 5 stars. BEAUTIFUL.
Kat Stark

I love the personal stories that go along with this wonderful series, so here’s my hand at it. Bare with me.

When I was a kid, I actually didn't really like reading. I struggled with it and it didn't seem all that pleasing. I was an explorer after all. I collected acorns for the squirrels, stalked the ducks in our pond, pulled together forts with a bunch of branches, and created mudpies and dirtstews. So many good times to be had without wasting time on books! I was no Matilda:

Then, I met Mr. Sut
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 03, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's Always Great, Coming back Home...

There is a reason us, the Fans, feel like we're connected, no matter where we from, different culture, ethics..ages..we're all like graduated from there..

..Hogwarts..we're even been like in the same class..We're classmates, no matter which edition we read..

..Cause Harry Potter is not just a story..it's a Life..

One of the most important novels in the modern history, Sorry, it's The Most Important ONE.
This Review also for those who hate the series !
نفس المقال
Maxwell
Dec 05, 2015 Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
Obviously 5/5 stars, especially because DANG the illustrations in this are on point. They were breathtaking. I can not recommend this illustrated edition enough. Even if you've read the book a million times, reading this version is like seeing it with new eyes. I absolutely LOVED it.
Pearl Angeli
Beyond amazing! Way to start the new year! :)

I've read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone way back in High School but I wasn't able to finish it because sad to say, my book was lost. :( And now, thanks to my lovely friend Allie who gave me a copy of this book, I became interested to read it once again and bring back the old times' feels.

And WOW! Just WOW! Thank goodness I decided to read it again because it felt so magical and magnificent and totally breathtaking! -- exactly what I've felt t
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
Dec 19, 2015 Yasmin (Book Unicorn) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Rating: All the stars. <3

There once was a boy named Harry,

destined to be a star.

description

His parents were killed by Voldemort,

description

who gave him a lightning scar.

description

Harry goes to Hogwarts, he meets Ron and Hermione.

description

McGonagall requires he play for Gryffindor.

description

Draco is his daddy's boy,

Quirrell becomes unemployed,

description

the Sorcerer's Stone is destroyed by Dumbledore.

REVIEW

I don't really know what to say about the Harry Potter series, except if you haven't read it, drop everything and go do so.

I'm gonna try and write a c
Books Ring Mah Bell
I read this long long ago to see how "evil" it was. You know, does it encourage children to become witches and wizards? Does reading Harry Potter cause evil?

After chopping off the heads of chickens, bats, a stray cat, and mixing it up in a cauldron pot, I dipped in my voo-doo doll and put a curse on my neighbor. (nothing too bad, just a case of incurable body lice) I then decided there is absoultely nothing wrong with Harry Potter!

*disclaimer for those who don't get my sarcasm: I never cut heads
Nikki
EDIT NOTE in 2012: Since this apparently isn't obvious, I wrote the review years ago. I do not necessarily have those opinions now. I wouldn't know; I haven't read Harry Potter since. With a degree and five more birthdays behind me I do not necessarily agree with everything I said when I was seventeen years old. I'm happy to chat about the definition of literature with you, or what I think about the Harry Potter phenomenon now or whatever, but try and be civil and don't attack me right out of th ...more
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is one of the most celebrated books of all time for one simple reason...because it deserves to be!

b

I'll write a full review when I have time, but for now here's my...

"Book, you have the right to a speedy trial" review

THE DEFENSE
- Rowling's prose is absolutely magical
- Story is not only exciting but often sweet as well
- Lead characters are all captivating
- Comic relief (mostly from Ron) is blended perfectly with the more dramatic events
- Never a dull mo
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 06, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
في أستفتاء بالجودريدز عن أكثر الكتب تأثيراً في تكوين شخصيتك
كانت أجاباتي بـ"تصويت" غير متوقع

غير أن تلك الرواية سببت طفرة حقيقية في عالم النشر فأنها ايضا كانت اول رواية تقدم توليفة ضخمة من الرسائل الغير مباشرة تقوم بتقوييم السلوك

الاجابة عن السبب سأعلنها غالبا في المقالات السبع عن السلسلة غالبا بعد قراءة اخري قريبا لهذا العالم الساحر والذي بدأت دخوله علي استحياء بمشاهده الفيلم في فبراير 2002
ولكن الامر صار دخولا حقيقيا بحادث ما نتج عنه قرائتي طوال ليله صيف للكتاب الاول لهاري بوتر من منتصف الليل وحتي
Kiki
description
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

I didn't kid when I said that I was a Slytherin, and starting this review, I feel my dark influences even more plainly. Because the truth is, I've loved Harry Potter with all my heart for over 15 years, and for this reason, I won't change my 5 stars rating, but perhaps I shouldn't have reread this first book. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I'm disappointed, because the magic isn't gone, and I'm still wiping off the stars stuck in my eyes, mesmerized by all the creatures and fantastic ideas
Delee
Jun 02, 2014 Delee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delee by: Stepheny
I wish this book had come out when I was young, I wish that someone had convinced me to read them when they first came out, and I wish I had read this series before I watched the movies...I wish..I wish..I wish...

I wish I wasn't a Muggle.

photo 3b294801-b8c6-44cc-8a99-38fde1ebba12_zpsfc159743.png

The day started off the same as any other day for Vernon Dursley- he picked out his clothes for work, got dressed, listened to his wife- Petunia- as she struggled with their son -Dudley- during one of his tantrums, grabbed his briefcase, kissed them both good-by
Change the 1 letter 5466 2001 47 minutes ago
Harry Potter Jokes!! 1 4 2 hours, 32 min ago
BOOK Name quiz - same rules as movie-name quiz... (plays included) 22742 6698 5 hours, 6 min ago
Teen Critic: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling 1 2 23 hours, 35 min ago
If you could make any book you've ever read into a musical, what would you pick? 14 30 Apr 30, 2016 08:04AM
Teen Critic: Harry Potter 8 51 Apr 30, 2016 07:37AM
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • Ella Enchanted
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • The Change (Animorphs, #13)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)
  • Kushiel's Avatar (Phèdre's Trilogy #3)
  • The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain