Start by marking “Grover Cleveland: The American Presidents Series: The 22nd and 24th President, 1885-1889 and 1893-1897” as Want to Read:

Grover Cleveland: The American Presidents Series: The 22nd and 24th President, 1885-1889 and 1893-1897 (The American Presidents #22)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A fresh look at the only president to serve nonconsecutive terms.

Though often overlooked, Grover Cleveland was a significant figure in American presidential history. Having run for President three times and gaining the popular vote majority each time -- despite losing the electoral college in 1892 -- Cleveland was unique in the line of nineteenth-century Chief Executives.
Published August 20th 2002 by Times Books

To ask other readers questions about Grover Cleveland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grover Cleveland

Joe
Feb 28, 2015 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Book Thirty-Four of my Presidential Challenge.

Thank goodness for Grover Cleveland. His two nonconsecutive Presidential terms is the reason this challenge is only 43 books long and not 44. Odds are if you know anything about Cleveland, this little nugget is the only fact you know.

Is there anything else you should know? Probably not. The most interesting fact, this book doesn't really cover. In "The President is a Sick Man" by Matthew Algeo, they discuss the cancerous tumor discovered in Cleveland
Steven Peterson
Aug 25, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want great detail on the presidents, this book series, "The American Presidents," will not be for you. If, however, you would like to get better introduced to some of the Presidents with some quick reads, this series could be very attractive. "Grover Cleveland," written by Henry Graff, is one book in the series. At the outset, I will say that this is a nice introduction to Grover Cleveland; if you want lots of detail, though, this book will not be for you.

That said, this is up to the usu
Tom
Aug 26, 2008 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historians, biography lovers
Shelves: biography
President Cleveland is probably the least well known of the two term presidents likely because his tour of duty coincided with the Gilded Age when congress took on a great deal of power and the executive was left with limited opportunities to stamp his personality on the country.

This is a light and easy to read biography of a fascinating man and those interested in a more detailed analysis should look elsewhere.

President Cleveland heralded in a new era of politicians and a new age for America an
Jason Dikes
I quit. Grover Cleveland was a boring person who was a boring President. His death was probably boring but I don't know cause I didn't finish this.
Alex Lee
Sep 17, 2015 Alex Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio, 2015, history
Yes, Grover Cleveland was not so flashy. His story is a story of a man who was the right honest joe for the right time. He didn't shake things up, but he presented the right image for a time of scandal and corruption. He straddles the start of modern media, where modern reproduceable print can widely disseminate who people actually are, and what they look like.

While he didn't want to be president so badly the first time, it was interesting to see how he took interest with the presidency of Benja
Gary Schantz
I found the book a bit of a drag. He is probably the only president in history who could have courted a wife since the day she was born (when he was a grown man) without it being a problem when he ran for office, it does make me wonder if he was very intimidating or very shallow. Most of his relationships with people seemed to be all about him and what gains he could make from those relationships. I didn't read one page where he made a true contribution to the country as a whole. The entire Pull ...more
Fred Kohn
This is the third book I have read in the series "The American Presidents", and also the one with the lowest overall rating. The other two that I read had more personal details and less political details, but this may be because Cleveland was the only two term president represented in these three. Honestly, I liked the mix of details in this book. I guess I am less interested in presidents' personal habits than I am in the political impacts that they made.
Jim Digiovanni
The biography is OK. It reinforced my perception that he was a pretty dull president and dull man. Except for the secret offshore Jaw surgery and the illegitimate son.
Susan
Dec 13, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short. Informative.
Shawn Thrasher
Grover Cleveland had an interesting name and an interesting personal life, but this book sort of sucked the life out it. Some others in this series are so well written, with a clear viewpoint and narrative; this was pedestrian at best. The only Democrat elected in a 16 years, the only president with two non-consecutive terms, a bachelor president who married a woman many years his junior - all of this sounds much more interesting than Graff made it.
John
Aug 05, 2008 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grover Cleveland is described as the best unknown president. He presided during a period of rapid change. He was not blustering like today's federal politicians, putting Democrats (and many Republicans) to shame (Note: Cleveland was a Democrat). It's too bad a man like Cleveland wouldn't have a chance in today's media saturated, everything revolves around Washington attitude.
Randy Elster
Cleveland--the best of the unknown presidents--stood for integrity. He is the only president to serve two nonconsecutive terms. Writing here was a bit dull, but this was my only option at the library. I see a new bio on him is coming out soon. Cleveland was our 22nd and 24th prez--this puts me past the halfway mark in reading through the bios of the presidents.
Sherry Schwabacher
Not great literature, but a smooth intro to a period of American history I was extremely vague about.
Philip
Some interesting tidbits about Cleveland I wasn't aware of, but overall this book wasn't singing his praises, and was a bit dry and brief. I'm going to try out some of the other biographies of Cleveland that have been recommended to me, by Allen Nevins, Alyn Brodsky or H. Paul Jeffers which hopefully deal a bit more with his economic policies.
Ram
Dec 12, 2007 Ram rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jesus Stephen Grover Cleveland Christ! This is intended for a general audience, sure, but who knew that meant a general audience of retards?!? Did anyone edit this book? Wait, let's look inside the cover...there it is! Let's see, "editor...Arthur Schlesinger, Jr." ?!?? Fuck the heck?!! Ah, I give up.
Mike Horne
Sep 06, 2008 Mike Horne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read about Grover Cleveland. But this was not that great of a book. Just thinking about Robert Caro's books on LBJ or Edmund Morris's books on Teddy Roosevelt makes me sad that poor old Cleveland does not have such a biographer.
Robin Morris
Mar 21, 2013 Robin Morris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios
I didn’t like the way this bio was written. I seemed disjointed. Several issues required more depth to understand and other things were talked about too much. Very little on his personal life or Character.
Mary
Sep 13, 2013 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-read
A very quick read that gives the basics but I really don't need more than that. He is the one who served two non-consecutive terms. The biographer saw him as very honest with a strong sense of integrity.
Korry Thorpe
Feb 07, 2013 Korry Thorpe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fiscally conservative Democrat president, who knew such a creature ever even existed! Grover Cleveland was an interesting guy and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about him.
 Just  David
Sep 25, 2008 Just David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you do not want to read every in depth detail of a president, this is a great series. Like cliff notes on presidents, just better written.
Robert
Jul 13, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A serviceable biography of an uninspiring President. Well written.
Kirk Bower
Jul 29, 2011 Kirk Bower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey - not a interesting guy to begin with
Daryl Thompson
Enjoyable
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Steve Reddin
Steve Reddin rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
  • Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents, #31)
  • Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents, #21)
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents, #38)
  • James A. Garfield (The American Presidents, #20)
  • James Buchanan (The American Presidents, #15)
  • Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents, #29)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
  • Benjamin Harrison (The American Presidents, #23)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower (The American Presidents, #34)
  • Calvin Coolidge (The American Presidents, #30)
  • Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents, #14)
  • Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents, #17)
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
  • James K. Polk (The American Presidents, #11)
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)

The American Presidents (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • George Washington (The American Presidents, #1)
  • John Adams (The American Presidents, #2)
  • Thomas Jefferson (The American Presidents, #3)
  • James Madison (American Presidents, #4)
  • James Monroe (The American Presidents, #5)
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents, #9)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)