Start by marking “Holding Out For a Hero” as Want to Read:
Holding Out For a Hero

Holding Out For a Hero

3.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  588 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Kelsie Newman meets the man of her dreams at the beginning of a really, really bad day, so excuse her for not recognizing him. Good thing she's a smart girl and a quick learner. When he rescues her from her Good Samaritan act gone bad later that same day, she doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Nook, 34 pages
Published June 29th 2011 by Stacey Joy Netzel, via Smashwords (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Holding Out For a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding Out For a Hero

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois LowryHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingEntwined by Heather Dixon
Clean YA Books
90th out of 132 books — 15 voters
The Giver by Lois LowryElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Price of Creation by Lance ConradHoles by Louis SacharWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Young Adult Books That Kids With Values Can Read
274th out of 308 books — 219 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianne
Apr 24, 2014 Dianne rated it really liked it
Very short, very romantic, a little dreamy and even sprinkled with humor, Holding Out For a Hero by Stacey Joy Netzel follows a very bad day for Kelsie and the most wonderful dream hero ever who keeps popping up in her life just when she needs him. All of her outward skepticism hides an inner romantic who finds her knight in shining armor. Will she end up like a fairytale princess?

Stacey Joy Netzel has written a dreamy romantic tale that leaves room for daydreaming after about HEAs. Ms. Netzel f
Loraine
I think this could have been the basis for a really great novella or book, but as a short story, I felt like it was a writing exercise for a junior high or high school English class. Cute, short, romance that took me about 10 minutes to read. The author had some gems that could have really made this a great book so I think she has potential as a writer. Thank goodness it was a kindle freebie.
Booklover
This was a sweet short read. Unlike many short stories these days, this actually had a fully contained plot, and a fair amount of character development. I did wish it were longer, but only because I enjoyed it. I will definitely be seeking out more from this author!
Kathie (katmom)
This was a cute little fic. Took about 10 minutes to read...HALF of the file was the story, the other half was a long commercial for her other books.

Tasha
Jun 04, 2014 Tasha rated it it was amazing
I was searching books by a great author (Stacey Joy Netzel) on Smashwords.com where you can sometimes find free books by great authors. As I was searching for a book I had on my To-Read list I found this story instead of finding the story I was searching for. I scrolled past it and thought nothing of it, as I scrolled back to the top I saw where it said FREE. Free always catches my eyes but then I looked at the cover of the book and it seemed so.... Free, loving, calm, You can enter whatever wor ...more
John
Jul 12, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Ms. Netzel has a beautiful way of telling a story. I'm enjoying reading each one of her books!!!
Betty
Mar 04, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it
Cute, well written very short romantic story.
Rana Chanan
Jan 19, 2014 Rana Chanan rated it it was amazing
Cute! Well written. :)
Elisa
Jan 06, 2013 Elisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Melissa O'Connor
A true delight to read!

What a wonderful short story! I kept wishing the book were either longer or had a movie coming out soon. The author is a gifted writer, putting together some fun and clean romance in a story that has a really good moral to it. Ms. Netzel bring out more of these!!
elaine m. suda
Bad/Good Day

I guess most of us have days when we have a black cloud overhead, but there is also the kind person who holds the door for you, the co-worker who pays you a compliment or a driver who stops and changes your flat tire. I enjoyed the book even though it was very short.

Shelley
Good read

I don't read anything but historical books but as books go this was a good read. It's true that people treat the less fortunate poorly. And will turn a blind eye to wrong doings. It is sad what our world has come to.
Kimberly Mauldin
Jun 21, 2012 Kimberly Mauldin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: no one
A light and feel good story, that is not all that it needs to be. Kelsie is seeing the world through rose-colored glasses and wants for herself a yesteryear hero in which only truly comes about in legends. When she finally realizes that she is needing to wake up to reality and get to know the man as himself and not some dreamy character, she almost misses out and you can't help but smile as she finally gets it. This is an excellent, quick read for when you are wanting something charming and cute ...more
Miriam Rivera
Oct 17, 2014 Miriam Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little piece of heaven...love all her work and this book small as it is does not disappoint. I love the way the heroine had a positive outlook at abad day with help of her own hero.
Alisha Webster
This short story could have been great. It needed to be stretched out a bit. I felt like it was over before it ever started. Also 45% of my book was ads for other books. I'm not a huge fan of that.
Gina
Feb 10, 2014 Gina rated it it was ok
A short story about a woman having a very bad day who figures some stuff out about herself and her concept of "hero." Free kindle download. Not good but not bad.
Angie
Mar 09, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
I liked how Kelsie tried to be positive when bad things kept happening. She really did have some bad luck during the day. Robert was such an awesome hero!
Cathie
Jun 10, 2015 Cathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good short story!!!

It was a quick read for when you don't want to get buried in a book. I need to read some more of this author!!
donald feathers
Dec 14, 2014 donald feathers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but super sweet.

Didn't realize what a short story this was when I got it but enjoyed the sweetness and optimism of the story.
Beverley King
Sappy, but sweet

Just goes to show how a bad day can be turned around by an act ok kindness a nd a good lookingman!! Cute story.
Cici
Nov 06, 2014 Cici rated it really liked it
This is quite short. The plot is fun. The heroine's inner dialogue is entertaining. It is cute and cleans! The description of New York good.
Devony
Apr 17, 2015 Devony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book but REALLY short! It has amazing potential buy the ideas were not given enough time to form.
SydneyGen
Nov 10, 2014 SydneyGen rated it really liked it
I think we can all say we’ve been in Kelsie’s shoes, and had ‘one of those days’ when NOTHING goes right (in fact, I’m pretty sure I had one, yesterday!). This is a super short story, and a great read for in between longer reads. I enjoyed the heroine of the story ‘holding out for a hero’, and subsequently realising, we can all be heroes in our own ways, every day.
Penny
Aug 03, 2014 Penny rated it really liked it
For a short story, this was very good and highly entertaining. I wish it was a longer novel. The potential was there.
Eileen Carter
Bad day can become great day

What to do when everything seems too be going wrong for you. keep your head up and keep doing the right thing.take notice of the little things in life, look for the positive, that is what this story is all about.
Hazel
Apr 01, 2013 Hazel rated it did not like it
I was intrigued by the description and was expecting an easy light read. Unfortunately, it was one cliche after another and I was having a hard time liking the main character because of the poor writing. It was labeled as a short story but, in my opinion, it wasn't even long enough to be called a short story. Perhaps if the author had spent more time with it and developed the storyline and character with good solid prose, it would not have felt so rushed and relied so heavily on cliches. It took ...more
Deborah Gafford
Oct 31, 2014 Deborah Gafford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

I enjoyed this short story. With additional parts added to the plot it would make a good full length book.
Claire
Dec 09, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
I liked it I just wished it was longer.
constance
Mar 09, 2014 constance rated it liked it
really really short story, but cute
Ditte
Apr 25, 2016 Ditte rated it it was ok
VERY short
  • Holiday Rush
  • A Chance In Time (Native American Romance #0.5)
  • Letter of Love
  • Touched By Angels (Touched By Angels, #1)
  • Second-Hand Princess
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Searching For Meredith Love
  • The Hand of Fate (a Jukebox Heroes novella)
  • Heart of Gold
  • The Reiver
  • When the Heart Falls
  • My Christmas Angels
  • Bridge To Happiness
  • The Clever Detective: Story 1 (A Fairy Tale Romance)
  • The Man of Their Lives
  • Reaching the Edge (Edge, #2.5)
  • Just Dial 911 for Assistance
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
Wisconsin native Stacey Joy Netzel fell in love with books at a young age, so for her the graduation to writing them was natural. A member of Romance Writers of America (RWA) and Wisconsin Romance Writers (WisRWA), she credits her parents for encouraging her dreams of becoming a published author, as well as the very talented friends she’s made in WisRWA since joining in 2004. Her Christmas antholo ...more
More about Stacey Joy Netzel...