Start by marking “Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1)” as Want to Read:
Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1)

Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,131 Ratings  ·  363 Reviews
Temur, grandson of the Great Khan, is walking away from a battlefield where he was left for dead. All around lie the fallen armies of his cousin and his brother, who made war to rule the Khaganate. Temur is now the legitimate heir by blood to his grandfather's throne, but he is not the strongest. Going into exile is the only way to survive his ruthless cousin.

Once-Princess
Published March 27th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Range of Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Range of Ghosts

Lightreads
Sep 30, 2012 Lightreads rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
So the draw here is entirely the worldbuilding, to my eye. And it is good worldbuilding; Bear didn’t just say ‘hey, I want to write heroic fantasy about them easterners instead of another damn western European retread,’ she actually thought it through. This is not worldbuilding that relies on exoticized stereotypes. This stuff makes sense, right down to the nutritional advice given to a woman who has just lost her fertility (eat soybeans, which is exactly the advice that would come out of a doct ...more
The Shayne-Train
Jul 06, 2015 The Shayne-Train rated it it was amazing
I seriously could not get enough of this book!

The story was instantly engaging. That's always a worry for me. It can be the most amazi-crazy book in the world, but if the first 15 pages don't grab me, I may not be finishing it. I know that's kind of harsh, but I have an intimidatingly huge To-Read shelf, and if'n you wanna be in mah brainz, y'all needta come correct.

So often, fantasy novels come down to world-building. This is a new and foreign place to the reader, and the details of the way th
Jason
Jul 01, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2012
4.5 Stars

Range of Ghosts is a great read that blends a fantasy with a fairytale. This is my first Elizabeth Bear read, even though she has been on my reading list for a very long time. After reading this one, I will surely be looking up her other works.
This book is magical. The writing is sublime. The prose is lyrical. The vocabulary is extraordinary. Bear’s writing style adds to the wonderful world that she pens on paper. This is a novel that is incredible because of the amazing writing itself.
Mar 23, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Dear Elizabeth Bear and Tor,

I’m suffering from an epic bout of nerd rage, at the moment, and I feel as though the responsible parties should know what a torment I am going through. You see, Range of Ghosts was an absolutely stunning read in ever aspect. It’s easily my favorite book of 2012 so far and now it’s over.

It’s OVER and I have NOTHING to turn to because it’s the FIRST BOOK in a TRILOGY and the next books haven’t been released yet! Oh, the tragedy!

That’s the cause of my nerd rage. I need
M.K.  Carroll
Apr 27, 2013 M.K. Carroll rated it it was amazing
I got up early so that I could finish reading this book while the house was quiet and I could be alone with it, and I'm glad I did. After reading the last page, I sat with my coffee and just sat and explored how deeply satisfying I found this story, and thinking about why.

There is a lot for me to love in this book - the worldbuilding is excellent, and the storyline is smoothly paced. What I love most about it, though, is that this is a well-written story in which I can picture myself as an ordi
Timothy Ward
Apr 30, 2014 Timothy Ward rated it really liked it
Reviewed at Adventures in SciFi Publishing - Podcast and Giveaway of Eternal Sky Trilogy

I have heard for years that Elizabeth Bear is a rare talent, and I wish I hadn’t waited this long to read her. Her ability to mesmerize me with her prose reminds me of Mercedes Yardley, but with her own flair. I highlighted many passages from Range of Ghosts, but I’ll start with the first paragraph:

Ragged vultures spiraled up a cherry sky. Their sooty wings so thick against the sunset could have been the col
j
May 01, 2014 j rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2014, horses
Really good except for the parts where I have no idea what is going on. She might as well just write "Blah blah blah politics."

Still planning on going on to book two, because magical ponies and giant cat people.
Rob
Executive Summary: I enjoyed the last 25% or so, but that's just not enough for me to continue on in the series. 2.5 stars rounded up for a strong finish.

Audio book: I wasn't terribly impressed by Celeste Ciulla. I have a hard time deciding if some of the dialogue was bad, or if it was simply the inflections with with Ms. Ciulla read it. Overall she wasn't bad, but there were parts that made me cringe a bit/pulled me out of the story.

Full Review
I had been wanting to try Ms. Bear for about a ye
Mitch
Apr 01, 2012 Mitch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-memorable
It should be a crime for a fantasy to be this good. Somehow, Elizabeth Bear has created a world so richly detailed, so gripping, that I couldn’t put this book down for three hours, not until I finally got to that last page. And even after that, I was still thinking about this book an hour later (and not just to write this review).

I’m not usually a fan of elaborate settings and descriptions, but Bear really makes it work here. Maybe it’s because reading the same kinds of descriptions in that twen
Angela
Jan 31, 2013 Angela rated it it was ok
I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I actually did but, ultimately, it left me unfulfilled.

Bear’s world-building is, as always, superb. She has created a unique vision here, where the sky changes according to whose empire you’re in, and where moons wink out of existence as the human life they’re tied to is cut short. And Temur, Samarkar, Hrahina and their Nameless adversary are all intriguing characters who are worth getting to know.

The story itself, though, is where this one falters.
Sara Price.
Apr 14, 2015 Sara Price. rated it really liked it
Liked this a lot, very different than what I've read and the world building was pretty great!
Erica
I actually liked the book about 4.5 star's-worth but I found that I kept thinking about the story long after I'd finished it, so I give it a full five stars because it's stuck with me.
This is probably the most difficult book I've ever read for my own pleasure. It was like an intense hike, grueling and painful, but when you reach the vista, it was all worth it, even if you're thoroughly exhausted.
The author loves words and it shows but her writing style is tweaked just enough that I couldn't get
Bryn Hammond
Jun 30, 2013 Bryn Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steppe-fiction
For me this book went by thirds: I loved the first third, slumped in the middle, then found the last very strong. That might be me: I noticed I liked it when they were on journeys, not in the palace and temple. The first third was most Mongolian, with a steppe journey and most attention paid to the horses (I missed them later); the last third had writing that wowed me and I was caught up in the climatic action. Had my interest been equal throughout, or had the scenes seemed to me more even, it’d ...more
Jim
May 15, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
After I finished reading this book, I spent several weeks trying to figure out how best to review it. I kept coming back to the word “thoughtful.” Everything from the worldbuilding and mythology to character to sentence and word choice.

The book opens to Temur, heir to the Khaganate, stumbling through a battlefield. His hand has gone numb from clasping the bloody gash along the side of his neck– You know what? Let me just give you a few paragraphs from the first page.

Beyond the horizon, a city la
Maggie K
Jan 09, 2014 Maggie K rated it it was amazing
I truly love Elizabeth Bear's writing, and was not disappointed. She builds a beautiful and mystical universe, where Gods share the sky and the pantheons manipulate and cajole the lowly humans to keep chaos working in their favor.

Temur, the most likely heir to one of these kingdoms, is manipulated by honor into a quest to save his mate. Temur is a little difficult being so young, and is not defined very well other than the typical warrior type things, but that seems mostly because he hasn't defi
Ron
Dec 27, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It’s not a sacrifice if it doesn’t mean anything to you.”

Attention to detail evokes a world and culture similar to ours, yet not. Details large and small meld with details realistic, mythic and unlikely to suck the reader into the spell of her story. Sprinkled with aphorisms. (Too bad she italicizes them; heavy handed.)

“Different skies, different gods.”

Excellent depiction of the impact of beliefs on perceptions. Most modern fantasy dismisses all religion with a wink and a smirk. Bear takes it
Anya
Jul 18, 2015 Anya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical, audiobook
The audio is excellent, the world is so cool and unique, the characters diverse and strong. There is just the right of romance brewing, the friendships are great, the writing is gorgeous. Why didn't I read this trilogy sooner??
Alex Ristea
Mar 02, 2015 Alex Ristea rated it it was ok
Got 200 pages in and had to put it down. Not for me.

The writing is good and the Mongol-themed worldbuilding is neat, but I wasn't captivated enough to continue.
Beth
Dec 03, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Range of Ghosts reminded me of The Way of Kings in some ways. It's not the plot, though both are arguably fantasy epics; it's the way the plot unfolds, the way the characters are treated within the plot. I usually like books heavy on characterization, and neither of these two titles focus primarily on that. There is characterization, of course - I don't think I'd care about the books if I didn't care about the people in them - but the focus isn't on their lives and choices. Rather, it's on their ...more
Tim Martin
Aug 11, 2013 Tim Martin rated it really liked it
I love non-European settings for fantasy novels! There are simply not enough of them out there. Nothing against Tolkien, noting against a setting based on medieval France or Britain or Germany, or the Vikings, or even ancient Greece or Rome…but I adore well written fiction based in southern, central, and eastern Asia (or other areas for that matter outside of Europe). Here the setting has a very clear basis in the Arabian Middle East, China, Tibet, Mongolia, and the lands of the Silk Road, with ...more
Stefan
Oct 24, 2013 Stefan rated it it was amazing
Early on in the novel, after being transported from all she knows to a new setting, a character muses that “she had fallen into a story.” That line also describes the experience of reading this novel: it’s a book you can sink into. It’s also that rare novel that feels longer than it is in a good way: barely 330 pages long in hardcover, it imparts the same sense of richness and immersion you’d expect from a doorstopper, but distilled into a tighter, more concentrated package. I cannot recommend R ...more
Tudor Ciocarlie
The best fantasy novel I've read since Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven with extraordinary characters, fabulous settings and interesting mythology.

I have read about many strange skies, but until Range of Ghosts I've never thought about what impact our sky had on our minds and souls. We are like this today because when humans first looked up they saw a blue sky and one sun in the day; we feel and think like this because they saw a black sky and one moon in the night.
Robyn
Mar 04, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I thought this was a beautifully written beginning to the series; Bear deftly weaves together Central Asian history and mythos and adds her own imaginings to it. I love the two main characters, and the wonderful details that Bear adds - she has an ethnographer's eye when describing the peoples of her world. Really, 4.5 stars.
aPriL does feral sometimes
Elizabeth Bear has written a good book, and I think its top strength is her poetic writing style. However, I think that is the book's problem, too; it is not amplifying the usual themes which means it's hard to connect to much - where is the passion, outrage, horror, thunder and lightening? (view spoiler) I feel there is a lot of soft fog being pumped ...more
Ranting Dragon
Jun 07, 2013 Ranting Dragon rated it really liked it
Shelves: marty

The Grandson of the Great Khan, Temur, awakens on a field of dead men, having just survived a bloody battle in a civil war his uncles have perpetuated. Abandoned and alone with no family and no friends, Temur finds a pony and begins to ride away from the dead. After finding a lover, Edene, among the people of the plains, the wizard Al-Sephr steals her away in a storm of ghosts, and Temur vows to bring her back. And south among the mountains, the once princ
Phil
Jul 25, 2012 Phil rated it liked it
Here's a extract from my review, full link: http://afantasyreader.blogspot.ca/2012/07/range-of-ghosts-review.html

Elizabeth Bear is a renowned author but Range of Ghosts is her first work that I picked up. After a few chapters, I realized one of the reasons for her success; a smooth and imaginative writing style, not poetic but still, with a rhythm that make the prose feels personal, even passionate. Even with High Fantasy involved, the prose is taken up-close and feels a bit confining. However,
Lydia Presley
May 16, 2013 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it
If I had not received the sequel to Range of Ghosts from the publisher, I can honestly say that Range of Ghosts would never have entered my radar. I'm fairly picky when it comes to my high-fantasy, and one of the qualifications is that the strange-name to familiar-name ratio be fairly balanced. Range of Ghosts was definitely not balanced.

However, I took the leap and purchased Range of Ghosts because I am unable to just dive into the second book of the series without having read the first. To be
Jared Millet
Aug 01, 2012 Jared Millet rated it really liked it
I'm not sure if there's a movement toward Central Asian epic fantasy, or if it's just coincidence that I've recently picked up two books on that theme. Range of Ghosts isn't quite as captivating as K.V. Johansen's Blackdog, but Bear tells a tighter story and is better at detailing the various aspects of the many cultures she introduces, with touches of Tartars, Mongols, Tibetans, Arabs, and Chinese. The plot is nothing out of the ordinary for fantasy, but Bear's characters shine and her pace nev ...more
Melani
Sep 22, 2014 Melani rated it it was ok
I really, really don't like books that do not have a complete plot within the novel. It is a problem that plagues many a fantasy novel. There are some books where the author makes not bones about the fact that this book is not a complete story (like The Lord of The Rings, or The Orphan's Tale), but most of them simply assume that it's ok to have a complete book where in nothing happens. This book falls into that. It is all set up, there's no actual plot arc. A few things happen, but all of them ...more
Vanessa
Aug 22, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
After the Great Khan's death his heirs fought over his empire, wiping out entire armies. A grandson of the Khan, Temur is left for dead on the battlefield and miraculously survives to join the refugees fleeing the Steppes. But in order to avoid notice by an enemy that would kill him, he hides his identity.

Samarkar, former princess and now a widow, is close to completing her training to become a wizard. But despite great sacrifice, there's no guarantee that she will actually be able to wield magi
  • The Desert of Souls (The Chronicles of Sword and Sand #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • The Troupe
  • Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood, #2)
  • The Alchemist of Souls (Night's Masque, #1)
  • Updraft (Bone Universe, #1)
  • Blackdog
  • The Steel Seraglio
  • The Scroll of Years (Gaunt and Bone, #1)
  • Black Wolves (Black Wolves, #1)
  • The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga, #1)
  • Sharps
  • Banner of the Damned
Elizabeth Bear was born on the same day as Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, but in a different year. This, coupled with a childhood tendency to read the dictionary for fun, led her inevitably to penury, intransigence, the mispronunciation of common English words, and the writing of speculative fiction.

She lives in Massachusetts with a Giant Ridiculous Dog. Her partner, acclaimed fantasy author Scott Lynch
More about Elizabeth Bear...

Eternal Sky (3 books)
  • Shattered Pillars (Eternal Sky, #2)
  • Steles of the Sky (Eternal Sky, #3)

“If you could disagree with kings, were gods so far above?” 12 likes
“She said, "You're a warrior. So how do you kill without rage?"
"In compassion. Because of necessity." Hrahima set the empty water bowl back in Samarkar's hands. "The same way you carry water.”
10 likes