Zeno And The Tortoise: How To Think Like A Philosopher

Zeno And The Tortoise: How To Think Like A Philosopher

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Think of Zeno and the Tortoise as a toolbox for aspiring thinkers. Author Nicholas Fearn aims to leave readers with an array of handy instruments at their disposal, whether Ockham's razor, Hume's fork, or Nietzsche's hammer. "The object," he writes, "is to show not merely what the great philosophers thought, but to demonstrate how they thought." In addition to supplying re...more
Published 2001 by Atlantic

To ask other readers questions about Zeno And The Tortoise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zeno And The Tortoise

Jono Balliett
This was a great way to familiarize myself with some great philosophical minds. I love philosophy but I tend to gravitate toward the readers digest version of philosophers. Reading a philosopher's works can be incredibly rewarding but one can spend decades unraveling the thoughts and ideas of just one philosophers work. Instead, I read synopses of their work. This book covers: Thales, Protagoras, Zeno, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Lucretius, Ockham, Machiavelli, Bacon, Descartes, Hume, Reid, Rous...more
TK Keanini
A very unfortunate title. The subtitle should have been: How to apply the patterns of great philosophers. I just can't believe that I would ever think like the great philosophers nor would I want to. I'm perfectly find thinking the way I think.

Now that I have that out of my system, the book is great. In 25 sections, the author takes each key contribution from some incredible philosopher. It could be called a philosophy field guide.
Nathalie
Good refresher on philosophy and philosophers. Without fluff, each short digestible chapter outlines the essence of each philosopher's' argument, some thoughts about how to think of it using modern day examples and gives context for each philosopher's life. Especially appreciated the latter where I learned interesting thing about the person and the times. I had studied philosophy so while there is a lot to learn from the original works, namely the construction and thought process in creating an...more
Lawrence Bloomfield
A good introduction to the works of some great philosophers, a few of which are often overlooked. I didn't always agree with his conclusions, but isn't that common in philosophy? The ideas were exposed nicely, rather concise, but it whets the appetite for those yet to venture far in to philosophy. However, a little more information would be needed in each section to allow one to confidently discuss the concepts exposed here. Good read, nonetheless.
Kara Jacobs
Didn't finish this. Such a good concept, anecdotes about various great philosophers throughout the ages, what they had to say about the subject of death and (my favorite part, of course), the weird ways in which they actually died but ...I dunno, it started to grow dull in the middle of the middle of the Middle Ages, and it' another book I never finished.
Pamela
Bought this book for my 15-yr-old son to introduce him to philosophy. Covers over 20 philosophers and their main ideas, including short biographies. Good introductory book into the origins and developments of some of the most important philosophical ideas throughout history.
Allen Martin
Part biography of many philosophers, part introduction to various thinking techniques, part summary of various types of philosophical thought. This book will probably encourage you to dig deeper into ideas that interest you. A buffet full of appetizers.
Jw van Eck
A sequence of philosophers in historic order. Easy to read and understand. Not sure why some names have made it to the book (Lucretius, Machiavelli, Ryle) and why others (Spinoza, Leibnitz, Russel) are missing. But a nice read nonetheless.
Ian
I remember looking at this book, can't remember actually reading it. Possibly this is why I dont think like a philosopher
H Wesselius
interesting, you can pick and choose your way through it. Some essays are better than others.
Tudor
Very interesting concept, poorly carried out.
Dylan
Dylan is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Josh Tresser
Josh Tresser marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Chris Bird
Chris Bird marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Adrianne
Adrianne marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Anna Olson
Anna Olson marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Mary Regina
Mary Regina marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Mitch Watson
Mitch Watson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Henrik
Henrik added it
Jul 08, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Latest Answers to the Oldest Questions: A Philosophical Adventure with the World's Greatest Thinkers Cara Mudah Berfilsafat Philosophy Miten ajatella kuin filosofi Bin ich oder bin ich nicht?: Neue philosophische Anworten auf ewige Fragen