Start by marking “Yondering” as Want to Read:
Yondering

Yondering

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  19 reviews
“Over the years I have been proud to write about the men and women of the American frontier. But I have written many stories with entirely different settings which I have long wanted to share with my readers.

“I have collected some of these in Yondering. They are glimpses of what my own life was like during the early years. Those were the rough years; often I was hungry,
Published 1980 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Yondering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yondering

Werner
Jun 09, 2012 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Short story fans, or fans of adventure fiction
Jan. 26, 2012
Best known for his Westerns, Louis L'Amour actually wrote stories and novels set in a variety of times and places. Like his Westerns, though, all of these tend to feature strong heroes who are macho but moral (and he well understood that these aren't contradictory qualities!), and who face physical and other challenges not unlike those that might have arisen on the Western frontier. The grist for these yarns came mainly from personal experience (though he also read voraciously): aft
Roger
In this 1989 revised edition, L'Amour tells more tales of his early seafaring days. How do you survive in a port between ships when money is short? What kind of unique characters existed out there? They may not have been cowboys, but they had the frontier spirit. As usual, L'Amour's recollections and embellishments are well-crafted and memorable.
A collection of short stories from Louis L’Amour.

The Stories.

Where There’s Fighting. World War II. Four men fighting to impede the progress of the German army in Greece. Only a few bloody hours left to know if any of the four will make it out of their shoddy hole alive…

The Dancing Kate. Dugan didn’t want to follow the boy into the lush tropical vegetation. But the request was so plaintive – “Man die soon. He say please, you come.” That this was only the beginning of an adventure involving a sack
Greg
A collection of short stories from the life of Louis L'Amour, the preeminent author of western fiction in America. These are word snapshots of different experiences in his life that give the reader a better understanding of what made him tick, and what went into the cooking pot that made him who he was. I was especially touched by his story titled "The Man Who Stole Shakespeare." He spoke of following a man whom he had observed to shoplift a book in a small bookstore, only to discover that he wa ...more
John
Louis was more interesting as a person than his fiction, and these stories from the pulp days are based on his global, journeyman blue collar work experience. Decent stuff, nothing exceptional but perfect for a airplane read.
Benjamin Thomas
Louis L'Amour is well known for his westerns but he also wrote quite a few stories about other sorts of adventure. This volume collects some of the stories that he wrote in his early days, covering tales from his adventures in Singapore and in World War II, etc. Many of these stories relate to his own personal experiences with only a few names changed to protect the innocent.

A good collection of stories that prove once again, what an amazing life he led before and during his writing career.
Joe
Oct 12, 2014 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: western
A collection of early short stories with brief commentary from Louis L'Amour about each story and his writing process. Solid. Very effective.
Steve Statham
Any writer who wants to see how a master constructs tight, well-structured short stories should read this book. L'Amour was best known for his westerns, but these tales were influenced by his years as a merchant sailor traveling the world. He captures the gritty realism and hard times he experienced, and yet the stories are often uplifting. If you want to understand how a guy could sell 100 million books, read a few stories from Yondering and it will make perfect sense.
Larry Holshu
Another good book but I prefer his westerns. Well written.
Charles
I put this in westerns to go along with my other L'Amour stuff but it's really a collection of short memoir material from L'Amour about his early wandering days, before he settled down to write full time. I thought it was just wonderful. All the pieces here are short but many are very touching and very revalatory. Lots of intersting characters show up. Something good to read for those who think L'Amour can only write genre adventure.
Isabel Hogue
Bought this and read again in fall of 2013.
Interesting stories and insight into the fascinating life experiences of L'Amour.
Ki
PG

I don't think much of Lamore's novels, but he tells a wicked short story. If you don't like most of his work, try this collection before completely giving up on him.
Samuel
I liked a couple of the stories in this book, but didn't care for some of the others. Not sure why, as I never had a problem with his other "non-westerns".
Sharon
I went through a big L'Amour phase in late high school and college. I read all of Steve's and often bought a new one for the plane ride home.
Fredrick Danysh
A collection of tales and thoughts of and by Louis L'Amour. Up to his usual high quality. The geography of his locations is accurate.
Caleb Kaspar
Collection of short stories is not my favorite.
Steve
some day I'll yonder too. Count on it.
PWRL
Feb 09, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
SM
Julia
Julia added it
Jan 01, 2015
  • The Thundering Herd
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • The Shootist
  • The Wreck Of The Mary Deare
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • Quiet Town (Floating Outfit, #8)
  • Algorithms in C, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching
  • The Night Walk Men (The Night Walk Men, #1)
  • Sword Woman and Other Historical Adventures
  • Dove
  • Razored Saddles
  • SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide
  • The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath
  • Devil Inside
  • Gentleman Revolutionary : Gouverneur Morris, the Rake Who Wrote the Constitution
  • Bellarion
  • The Explorers (The Australians, #4)
  • Downriver
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods