Start by marking “The Mountain Valley War” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Mountain Valley War

Louis L'Amour

The Mountain Valley War (Kilkenny #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,077 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Louis L'Amour Western Novel
Published (first published March 15th 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Mountain Valley War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountain Valley War

Chuck Friedenstein
"They were men who had always worked with their hands, and were beholden to no man. Not one of them was a gunfighter, but each had used a rifle or a short gun all his life and would have been lost without one or the other."

"Jack," Trent said, "when I was fourteen I was a man. Had to be. Well, it looks like your father dying has made you a man, too. "I'm giving you this Sharps. She's an old gun but she shoots straight. I'm not giving this gun to a boy, but to a man, and a man doesn't ever use a g
Becky
I finally read a Louis L'Amour book. It was fun. Nothing profound, but certainly entertaining with fun characters in a classic western plot.
Mike McLaren
Apr 22, 2015 Mike McLaren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who read pulp.
Recommended to Mike by: My youth.
I never thought I'd read a L'Amour book, but now in the process of writing my own pulp series, I thought it best to read as many mainstream pulp writers as possible to get a feel for shorter books. Funny... the book is not well written, but the story and the characters captivated me. I enjoyed it enough that I bought several other L'Amour books at my local used bookstore.
Rebecca
The second in the Kilkenny series. It's an underdog story with a group of homesteaders fighting a powerful, rich man. A typical L'amour book. Lots of action. Kilkenny's character is an interesting one. He's fearless and has an amusing sense of humor.

L'amour always claimed to be a story teller and not a writer. He wouldn't win any awards for writing skill, but his stories are so entertaining who cares? I read many of his books as a teenager and still find them interesting as I'm slowly working t
Bracken A.
I thought this book was terrific. The way Louis L'Amour set up the story and how action packed this book is. I also liked all the surprises that were in this book. I could not set this book down. This is one of my favorite Louis L'Amour books. I would recommend this book to any who likes Louis L'Amour books or westerns.
Matthew Hurley
Lots of great frontier philosophy in this one. The backstory is highly developed, with lots of interesting character studies. And of course the Kilkenny-Nita romance is one of L'Amour's most compelling, at least for me.

In addition to the great gunfights you'd expect from Kilkenny, The Mountain Valley War features not one, but two epic fistfights. But this book also portrays the peace-loving, hard-working, home-building kind of community that established the West.

And that's what makes Kilkenny su
Mary Dulaney
All Trent and his neighbors want is to be left alone to tend to their land, but the greed of another brings tragedy. Another well-written book by Louis L'Amour.
Chuck
Louis L'Amour has become my "most read" author for several reasons. First of all because he has written over 120 books and secondly because they are generally short, easy and entertaing reads. I have finished over thirty of his books which are more books than my other favorite authors have written. This book has a few new twists, but has the standard ingredients of white hat, black hat, pretty girl, reluctant gunfighter and happily everafter. Mr L'Amour's wisdom of the west and his colorful desc ...more
Susan
looking forward to working my way slowly through the Kilkenny series.
Craig
I thought this was one of L'Amour's best westerns. Good moral and plenty of action and excitement.
Fredrick Danysh
Looking to put his past behind him, Trent starts a ranch in Idaho. A neighbor lays claim to Tent's land and one of his men is killed. If Trent fights back his violent past could be revealed. A tasteful Western by a master story teller without the blood, gore, and sex of more modern works.
Rizwan
Here's another great Kilkenny story. Even if it's slightly inferior to the other two Kilkenny novels, in the end its still way, waaay better than most Westerns out there. Love the character of Lance Kilkenny, love Nita Riordan, love their duo. Forever.
Mandy
Classic old western story taking place in southern Idaho, very well written. Kilkenny is a great hero, and the characters are well-developed.
Jeff Dickison
Good western as gunfighter must help farmers fight land grabbing rancher and his psychotic son. Recommended to western fans.
wally
a good read, took me away, yippee ki aye
Charlie Parry
My first L'Amour title - hooked!
Trent
Lance chose a great fake name.
Charles
A cornered gunfighter
PWRL
Feb 09, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Dave Bretheim
Dave Bretheim marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Desert Gold
  • The Untamed
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • Hombre
  • Breakheart Pass
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

Kilkenny (5 books)
  • The Rider of Lost Creek (Kilkenny #1)
  • Kilkenny (Kilkenny, #3)
  • A Gun for Kilkenny (Kilkenny #4)
  • Monument Rock (Kilkenny #5)
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods