Symphony of Secrets: A Novel

Symphony of Secrets: A Novel

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Talented flutist Amy Johnsons dreams come true when she wins a spot with the Minneapolis Symphony. But this amateur sleuth begins to see devious motives behind her fellow musicians' many mishaps.
Published March 1st 2008 by Bethany House (first published February 1st 2008)

Renee
On Monday, I uncovered a drug ring in South Minneapolis. On Tuesday, I spotted a felony theft at a country club in Edina. On Wednesday, I overheard plans for industrial espionage while staking out the back room of a workshop in St. Paul.

On Thursday, my daughter blew all my cases out of the water . . .

With these first lines from Symphony of Secrets, author Sharon Hinck ushers us into the slightly-zany mind of single mom and talented flutist, Amy Johnson. As a crime novel buff, Amy is always on th...more
Ane Mulligan
I enjoyed every page of this book! Hinck employs wit and angst as you follow Amy, a musical geek trying to fulfill her dreams. She's a single mom whose mind revolves around her music and providing for her daughter, but forgets about things like laundry and meals. I hate to admit I could relate, but as a literary artist, I was right there with her.

When her daughter makes the cheerleading squad, Amy feels like a jazz solo without a rhythm. These super-moms are hip and with-it, crafty, slender and...more
Erin
I was first introduced to Sharon Hinck as an author through her "Sword of Lyric" trilogy, which I thought was absolutely amazing. In "Symphony of Secrets" Hinck shows off her versatility as a writer, switching from fantasy to a modern day tale of a professional flutist looking to finally break into the Minneapolis Symphony.

Amy Johnson is a single mother and a bit of an amateur sleuth, both of which often put her in uncomfortable situations. She'd much rather lose herself in practicing her music....more
Laren
The plot summary on the book leads you to believe that this is a mystery. Indeed there is the mystery of who is sabotaging the concertmaster of the symphony our heroine has just joined. But the real story is one of a woman at a crossroad in her life. Amy has just landed her dream job of symphony musician after dropping out of Julliard to raise a daughter alone. Said daughter is now a teenager who just dropped out of music lessons to join the cheerleading squad, and is also asking questions about...more
Katherine
I enjoyed listening to this book. Lots of information about professional musicians. I realized that it is probably a good thing that I didn't actually fulfill my 5th grade dream of being a concert pianist. I loved the definitions of musical terms at the beginning of each chapter that had something to do with the tone of that chapter.

I loved the flawed character Amy. Her daughter Clara was almost too good to be true. I wish we could have gotten more of a glimpse into Peter the conductor's though...more
Keris
Sharon Hinck’s upcoming novel, Symphony of Secrets, takes a turn from any of her other writings. It’s filled with Hinck’s funny, charming writing style, but has a bit of mystery added in.

Symphony of Secrets is set in the Twin Cities of Minnesota (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and features quite a few references to places that locals will recognize. The novel centers around flutist Amy Johnson, a single mother who dreams of playing with the symphony. Currently a music teacher, Amy longs for the stage an...more
Patricia
On the one hand, I enjoyed the music references, even though I am not a musician (I am a piano lesson drop out). On the other hand, I disliked the main character. I kept trying to figure out whether that was because of the way she was written or the way the narrator read her (I listened to an audiobook). I think it was the first. I also figured out "whodunit" early on, so that was disappointing. I have mixed feelings about the "inspirational" part of the story--sometimes it seemed too much.
Alison
OK...so this book was probably a little cheesy and over the top...but it was a fun little mystery romance that had symphony in the title...so I had to read it. It is basically a "christian" romance novel where the main character is a little nutty...but that's only because she's a musician which explains her obsessive behaviors. Soooo, I don't know if others would like it or laugh as much at the musical puns...but it was a quick easy read.
Kiersten
This was all right, but (especially compared to the Sword of Lyric trilogy, which was incredible) also pretty boring. and Amy's whole sleuthing fixation drove me nuts. Although i will say that i appreciated the focus on music throughout the book (i like how she mentally plays a scale instead of counting to ten when she gets angry). On the whole, however, this was something of a disappointment, for me.
Danni
I never give a book 5 stars but this was amazing. I am a harpist and the main characters best friend plays the harp. It talks about phantom of the ppera. ( a major love of mine) It is a mystery which was great.
It even quoted my life mantra "IF" by rudyard Kipling. It had a lot of jokes in it that only make sense if you play music. It was absolutely perfect for my personality.
Nancy
I loved Sharon's Restorer series. I've had Symphony of Secrets for awhile and finally got around to reading it. This was a delightful book. Anyone who loves music will enjoy the detail and the struggles the heroine had with being a part of an orchestra. I wish Sharon had a sequel to this one.
Margaret
Listened to the audio, loved the information about the symphony, really enjoyed the reader who created the abrasive personality of Amy Johnson very well. Also liked the Christian element and the look at the music through a critical eye.
Jana
Excellent! Grabbed my attention from the first page.
Janna Kay
humor with suspense
Sherry
Sherry added it
Jun 16, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sharon’s undergrad degree is in education, and she earned an M.A. in Communication from Regent University in 1986. She spent ten years as the artistic director of a Christian performing arts group, CrossCurrent. That ministry included three short-term mission trips to Hong Kong. She has been a church youth worker, a choreographer and ballet teacher, a home-school mom, a...more
More about Sharon Hinck...
The Restorer The Restorer's Son The Restorer's Journey Stepping Into Sunlight The Secret Life of Becky Miller (Becky Miller, Book 1)