Start by marking “The Strong Shall Live” as Want to Read:
The Strong Shall Live

The Strong Shall Live

They came west to stay, risking their blood to dig the gold, ride the range, conquer the greedy, and carve out a legacy of freedom. Men honed by desert fires and edged by combat with fist and gun. Women tested to the limit of endurance by an unrelenting land. Now, in a long-awaited collection of his stories, Louis L'Amour tells of the real heroes of the frontier, the survi ...more
Leather Bound, The Louis L'Amour Collection, 145 pages
Published May 1984 by Bantam Books, Inc. (first published January 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Strong Shall Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strong Shall Live

Amber
Oct 14, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
This book is just a collection of short stories by our favorite western author, Louis L'amour. Even though this book is extremely short, I love how L'amour uses these mini stories to tell his readers that anyone can be a hero. It doesn't matter who you are or what you've done, you can always make the right choices and you can always be the hero. That lesson has some Christian echoes which speak directly to my heart. Throw in some horses and a little romance and voila! The perfect book. Five out ...more
Chuck
This book is a collection of Louis L'Amour short stories that he wrote early in his career. I have read several volumes of his short stories and I didn't believe that it was his best work. This group of stories, however, I found to be very entertaining and engaging. If you wish to read L'Amour and want a place to start this would be a good choice.
Camille Siddartha
Dec 15, 2015 Camille Siddartha rated it it was amazing
That is me...The strong...and I shall live...and hopefully bring humanity out of hell...

Katie L. 5 Losee
Mar 11, 2017 Katie L. 5 Losee rated it it was ok
The Strong Shall Live, by Louis L’Amour, a short book about the West, cowboys, and everything cliche about it. Men of the West are depicted exactly like the movies, they drink, ride, hunt down anyone they don’t like, and have a horse as their best friend. And all they want is to strike gold and get rich. This book was very cliche, the strong, valiant cowboys, their enemies, and the gentle and naive frontier women. Although there is one female character in the book that stands up for herself and ...more
Allen Perry
Jul 15, 2017 Allen Perry rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories. A quick read and well worth the time.
Frank
Mar 20, 2017 Frank added it
I really don't like short stories. I usually don't even buy them. This one slipped through. A couple of them were not bad, just short.
Oh, well. It was entertaining though. :)
Steven Freeman
Mar 04, 2017 Steven Freeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Good, easy reading short stories that were a perfect way to relax.
Ed
Feb 24, 2017 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Western short story collection by author Louis L'Amour. 10 varied stories averaging 15 pages each. The stories range from the humorous very short tale of a Wild Bill Hickok impersonator in 'One Night Stand', to a surprising one day courtship in 'The Romance of Piute Bill', and the unexpected heroism of 'Duffy's Man'. The other 7 stories are all enjoyable; there are no clunkers in this collection.

Short Story Collections - They came west to stay, risking their blood to dig the gold, ride the range
Benjamin Thomas
This is a marvelous collection of western short stories by the immortal Louis L'Amour. As an example of the stories you'll find here, "Bluff Creek Station" is one of the shortest of the stories in the entire collection and yet it is one of the most inspiring. It begins with the main character knowing he is soon to die, shot through the spine by Indians raiding the stage coach station. His only purpose in living at this point is to warn the stage that is due in to the station shortly, striving to ...more
Matisse
Louis L'Amour stories are fun as all hell. When reading a L'Amour novel, the shallow characterization and predictable plotting are meager complaints. We're here for the Western setting and action, and L'Amour is just telling us a story, don'cha know!

When we instead read several back-to-back short stories, the fun of L'Amour's storytelling wears thin. The intro story is powerful, and middle story 'Merrano of the Dry County' is the most fleshed-out and engaging of the bunch. The others hold the s
H R Koelling
Aug 21, 2016 H R Koelling rated it it was amazing
Had been sitting on my bookshelf for years, saving it for a rainy day, because I have never been drawn to the Western genre, but felt like I should read a L'Amour book or two to familiarize myself with his work.

Just like the other collection of L'Amour short stories I read recently, this was everything I expected, and more. There were men who lived by a code of honor at one time in our country's history, and if you didn't adhere to this code, justice was your reward. Not sure if L'Amour specifi
Brian S
Every Louis L'Amour book has at least one episode of a man deserted in the dessert without water yet surviving through dogged endurance, unhurried decision making, and a keen knowledge of the land and survival technique. Every L’Amour book also features an outsider who through hard work and knowledge builds up a homestead and then has to defend it against the locals who are lazy and mean (this collection features several such characters). The ladies, understandably, are always won over by such m ...more
Eric Moote
Nov 12, 2012 Eric Moote rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Overall: A collection of short stories that all shadow a similar theme, the strong shall survive. I liked it.

I read this book on a round-trip flight. The short stories supply ample character development, and even though the plots are somewhat identical, each story has its own life and vividness. It is classic L'Amour through and through, so if you like his style westerns, then I would not hesitate to pick this collection up.
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2011 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
**** "The Strong Shall Live" collects seven short stories by Louis L'Amour that exemplify individual courage in the western frontier. Big, small, serious, light, every man is a hero against Injuns and rustlers. Humour starts with tall tales and catches one loner unaware in marriage. L'Amour was ahead of his time, seeing inside courage, opposing race prejudice. I feel better after being in his world.
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
This is a short collection of stories by L'Amour. Some of them are quite good, some feel like fragments of longer works, and some are pretty rough (I thought the last 2 stories were especially rough and needed editing). There are several non-White characters in these stories, including one hero, a Hispanic landowner dealing with a bunch of racist neighbors during a drought brought on by overgrazing. The collection is pretty diverse, and a fast read.
Jeff Dickison
Nov 29, 2011 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book of short stories by L'Amour. Only three of these 7 stories are given publishing dates; two are from 1976 and one is from 1978. The others have unknown publishing dates. I agree with another reviewer who commented on the last story, "Bluff Creek Station". It is one of the best western short stories that I have read. Recommended to readers of western fiction.
Shelly Kittell
Feb 04, 2017 Shelly Kittell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know, for the longest time I thought his books were boring. I loved the adventure in this one. Louis has a way of combining thrill, romance, adventure. He can also leave you hanging for more. Jeff loves his books and got me hooked on these now.
Vincent Darlage
Dec 08, 2013 Vincent Darlage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
This was a good collection of stories. This was one of my dad's favorite books (and we laid a copy of it to rest with him), and I wanted to make sure I had read it. Louis L'amour writes a good story, and this collection is evidence of that.
Louis had me at the first line: The land was fire beneath and the sky was brass above, but throughout the day's long riding the bound man sat erect in the saddle and cursed them for thieves and cowards. Who knew, I'm now a L'Amour Lover.
Wayne Hastings
May 11, 2013 Wayne Hastings rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories. It's amazing to me how he can say so much in such a short format. He was a gifted man in his craft.
Ronald
Mar 01, 2016 Ronald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read SOMETIME in 2001
Hayley Shaver
Apr 03, 2016 Hayley Shaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
I loved this book. This book is full of short stories depicting strong heroes and heroines that helped shape the west. If you love westerns, you've got to read this book.
Monica
May 24, 2008 Monica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western
I don't have the leather bound, but the paperback.
Ken
Sep 02, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Short and sweet story that takes place in the area of the Salton Sea, Joshua Tree National Park, and Glamis Dunes.
Skyelr
Oct 15, 2015 Skyelr rated it it was ok
I would have given it 3 stars because I really liked the story. But I felt like it ended too abruptly.
Suman
Jul 11, 2015 Suman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not impressed. Cliche-filled westerns. Maybe one story was somewhat interesting (one about water, that also touched on some issues of race)
Charles
Dec 23, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
A short story collection. A pretty good one.
Cws
SM
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 25, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
The Strong Shall Live is a collection of short stories about survival on the frontier in the face of many challenges. They are also about human character.
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Utah! (Wagons West, #12)
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • The Untamed
  • The Family Jensen (The Family Jensen, #1)
  • Uncle
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • Payback At Morning Peak-A Novel Of The American West
  • All-Star Western, Volume 4: Gold Standard
  • Medusa Jones
  • The Big Burn
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

“he revealed nothing. He nodded gravely. “I suppose it might be, ma’am, but I was hired to do the job and take the risks.” “Figured I’d offer,” Thomas said, unwilling to let the matter drop. “You tell me what you figure to do, and I’ll be glad to help.” “Another time.” The marshal tasted his coffee again and looked directly at the girl. “You are new in Sentinel. Will you be staying long?” “No.” “Do you have relatives here?” “No.” He waited, but no explanation was offered. Fitz Moore was puzzled and he studied her from the corners of his eyes. There was no sound in the room but the ticking of the big, old-fashioned clock. The girl sat very still, the delicate line of her profile bringing to him a faint, lost feeling, a nostalgia from his boyhood when such women as she rode to hounds, when there was perfume on the air, blue grass, picket fences . . .” 1 likes
“They tell us, Sir, that we are weak, unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be next week? Will it be next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed and a guard stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Sir, we are not weak if we make proper use of those means which the God of nature has placed in our power.” 1 likes