Start by marking “A Bend in the Ganges” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Bend in the Ganges

Manohar Malgonkar

A Bend in the Ganges

En 1939, alors qu'éclate la Seconde Guerre mondiale, deux jeunes étudiants indiens, Guiann et Debidayal, se trouvent dans un bagne tenu par les Britanniques sur une des îles Andaman, au large de la Birmanie. Profitant de l'invasion japonaise, ils vont tenter de s'évader, l'un en jouant le jeu des Anglais, l'autre en collaborant avec les Japonais.
Published 1965 by Viking (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about A Bend in the Ganges, please sign up.

Sanat Singh No there is no such thing in this book. It shows the Brits in a favourable light, except the part about their withdrawl from Burma in the wake of…moreNo there is no such thing in this book. It shows the Brits in a favourable light, except the part about their withdrawl from Burma in the wake of Japanese advance.(less)

Anirudh
Mar 29, 2015 Anirudh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I usually do not read Indians authors in English, this exception turned out to be fruitful. Manohar Malgonkar's A Bend in the Ganges explores the lives of three people during the time of partition.

Written in a straightforward yet appealing manner, the author presents two sides of the British Raj. One, those who think the British are oppressors and must leave immediately, one way or the other. And one who think the British are fair and just are the only people capable of civilising India
Tamara
Aug 19, 2011 Tamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little apprehensive before I started reading it. I didn't judge by the cover, as the cover art was pretty impressive, but it didn't seem like a book that would evoke my interest during the summer holidays.

The book is a fictional account of India's fight for independance, which brings together the unconciously interlinked lives of Indian citizens. It takes a while for the story to pink up, put keeps you busy till then with the historical facts and characteristics of life during this time
Anushree Thareja
Sep 01, 2014 Anushree Thareja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a novel that leaves you aghast... A painful narrative that shatters and makes you question ' was there no way the massacre could have been prevented?' The author describes various events of the Indian freedom movement and presents both the violent and non violent means adopted by the nationalists. He traces the building communal tension and the final impact of it on the lives of men and women.
Through the lives of Debi-dayal, Gian, Shafi the writer examines the different dimensions of the f
Prasad BSV
Sep 20, 2016 Prasad BSV rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After my last blog post on Gabo, I realised that I had not paid any homage to my favourite Indian authors that I admired longer, who I swore by and who certainly left their impress on me as a person. Two of them, Mulk Raj Anand and R.K. Narayan, pioneered Indian writing in English – the so-called Indo-Anglian writing – a hundred years back. Each in his own way started a “genre”, while the third, Khushwant Singh the Irrepressible Sardarji, was unputdownable till the end.

However, I decided that I
Ravi Shekhar
Jul 28, 2014 Ravi Shekhar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quit India movement, World War II, Cellular Jail and its legendary tortures, British Indian Prisoners of War, Japanese invasion of Rangoon and Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Indian National Army, Debauchery of the Indian Royalty, Bombay Explosion, Partition and finally the Indian independence.

It helps that the author spent prime of his youth serving in Maratha Light Infantry, comes from a royal background, ended up being a civil servant and had access to all the events written in the novel, thi
Sivaramaprasad Kappagantu
This book written by an Indian writer Manohar Malgaonkar is an exceptional Historical fiction novel. But the mindset of Indians to forget and forgive the excesses committed on them by the invaders, this book should have been a master-piece in the Indian Literature. The writer was a Military Offcial and had seen many historical events himself.

He also wrote a Historical Book by the name "The Men Who Killed Gandhi" which is well researched and a must read for the History Buffs, who are not polluted
Rahul Seshadri
Nov 12, 2009 Rahul Seshadri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reads like a movie. I was particularly impressed the way the protagonist were etched out and the reversal in their characters towards the end. The portions about the partition really evoked anger in me and it was only stoked by the authors incisive comments about the role of british in dividing and ruling. How is it possible that people rather than rejoicing the newly won freedom rather decide to raze out each other in the name of relegion?
Debashis
Sep 09, 2013 Debashis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel of Modern India is what Malgaonkar calls this - the modern here referring to the pre-independence days of India. The story of a set of friends - one coming from a poor farmer's family and going on to become a Gandhian, the other the son of a rich business man, going on to become a deadly terrorist. The twists and turns that these hapless characters take, in the face of the gale wind of freedom movement and partition, is certainly worth a read
Avtar Priyadarshan

This story might be a work of fiction but surely thousands of families faced such a trauma in what could be termed as the saddest and most violent chapters in world history. The story line keeps you glued to the book with each new page bringing in a new dose of fear and excitement. Overall i liked the book as it made me sad the most..
Vignesh Narayanan
violence is always present in the shadows of non violence, it cannot be killed very easily. this novel is an epic tale of two characters's life involving violence, and how religion made their life a miserable one and how gandhi's non violence truly never achieved anything. guilt, love, friendship, betrayal, family bond, independence. This one is truly a masterpiece, not.acknowledged by many.
Samantha Smith
Jan 10, 2015 Samantha Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic and shocking. A little wordy in places. Well worth your time. Mr. Malgonkar's descriptions took me right back to Mother India. The violent upheaval is heartbreaking and the terrorism and fight continues to this day.
Sharon
Jun 03, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed the movie Earth - this book will expand on that so well. This was recommended by 2 people who grew up in India and moved to America as Medical Drs. A great read. A can't put down book.
Deepali Jain
Had this book, not being in my course I won't have read it. Inspite of being a partition novel, it couldn't blow my mind away. The novel encompasses a vast spectrum of cataclysmic events, ranging from Japanese invasion, World war II and partition of India.
Chirag M
Jul 05, 2014 Chirag M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book barely fits the genre of 'historical fiction'. It's depiction of the days preceding Partition and Freedom are thread-bare, almost insulting. However as a simple drama, it is passable, and at intervals, even genuinely creative.
Nikhil Jayakar
Nikhil Jayakar rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Sukshma
Sukshma rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Amit Kumar
Amit Kumar rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Shalini Sengupta
Shalini Sengupta rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Radhika
Radhika rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Amarnatha Chitragar
Amarnatha Chitragar rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Anuradha
Anuradha rated it really liked it
May 13, 2010
Kapura
Kapura rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Shrenik
Shrenik rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
R.C. Bean
R.C. Bean rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Kranti Mishra
Kranti Mishra rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Panchalee
Panchalee rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Sindhuja
Sindhuja rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Alok
Alok rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2011
Sonali
Sonali rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2017
  • Raj
  • India: A Wounded Civilization
  • Madras On Rainy Days
  • Sunlight on a Broken Column
Manohar Malgonkar was an Indian author in the English language of both fiction and nonfiction.

Malgonkar was born in a royal family, and educated at Bombay University. He was an officer in the Maratha Light Infantry, a big game hunter, a civil servant, a mine owner and a farmer, and he also stood for parliament. Most of that activity was during the build up to Indian independence and its aftermath,
More about Manohar Malgonkar...