Start by marking “The Playboy of the Western World and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
The Playboy of the Western World and Other Plays

The Playboy of the Western World and Other Plays

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This volume from one of Ireland's greatest playwrights includes "In the Shadow of the Glen," "Riders to the Sea," and "The Playboy of the Western World."
Published March 7th 2006 by Signet Classics (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The Playboy of the Western World and Other Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Playboy of the Western World and Other Plays

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonPeter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Best Books of the Decade: 1900's
66th out of 280 books — 532 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Man Without Qualities by Robert MusilHamlet by William ShakespeareSteppenwolf by Hermann Hesse
Best Books From Before 1950
467th out of 493 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean Carlton
Jun 10, 2014 Jean Carlton rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book, ireland
This enjoyable detour in my reading resulted from references in Ghost Light by Joseph O'Connor about the famous 1907 play by. J.M. Synge. Dubbed a 'comic masterpiece' it tells the story of a man that becomes a town hero - much sought after by all the young women - after boasting that he murdered his father! Riots greeted the first performance perhaps proving that all publicity is good publicity.
I listened to the radio broadcast version by L.A Theatre Works via audiobooks (Overdirve)from my count
The Scrivener's Quill
I read "Playboy of the Western World" a fun lively play about getting out from under parents strings and winning glory sufficient to be worthy of marriage.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 StrangeBedfellows rated it it was ok
I don't enjoy reading plays, which is likely the reason why I rated this as only a 2-star book. Reading preferences aside, the plays are entertaining. If read this in a class setting -- as I did -- there's a lot of wonderful material here to analyze and discuss.
James
Jul 06, 2007 James rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
"...And I run up with a pat of butter, for it'd be a poor thing to have you eating your spuds dry, and you after running a great way since you did destroy your da"

-Susan Brady to Christopher 'Christy' Mahon, Playboy of the Western World
Caren Nicholas
Oct 14, 2010 Caren Nicholas rated it liked it
You've got to love the Irish when you read "Playboy" I especially liked that it was set in Couty Mayo where my dad's family comes from. We're an interesting race!
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Maybe in reading this again this weekend I'll revise this view, but I didn't see much of the comedy here.
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: ireland
pretty entertaining until the end. .. HATED the ending. . .
Glenn McMahon
Glenn McMahon rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
PotA
PotA marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Laura Stones
Laura Stones marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
headology
headology marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Philip Fonseca
Philip Fonseca rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
iLearn
iLearn marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
doutzen
doutzen marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Billy
Billy rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Una Power
Una Power rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Norbertcolbert
Norbertcolbert rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Richard Brehm
Richard Brehm rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Brian Cahill
Brian Cahill rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Avril
Avril added it
Jan 10, 2016
J. A.
J. A. rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2016
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Elka
Elka rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Ioana
Ioana marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • One Christmas
  • Complete Works, Vol. 2: The Caretaker / The Dwarfs / The Collection / The Lover / Night School / Revue Sketches
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • Androcles and the Lion
  • The Haw Lantern
  • The Collected Plays, Vol. 1
  • Fool for Love
  • The Weir and Other Plays
Edmund John Millington Synge (pronounced /sɪŋ/) was an Irish playwright, poet, prose writer, and collector of folklore. He was one of the cofounders of the Abbey Theatre. He is best known for the play The Playboy of the Western World, which caused riots during its opening run at the Abbey theatre. Synge wrote many well known plays, including "Riders to the Sea", which is often considered to be his ...more
More about J.M. Synge...