Start by marking “Nightwatch” as Want to Read:
Nightwatch

Nightwatch (The Defenders #1)

Fire captain Mitch Andrews can't forget the three young children he saved from a fire. A suspicious fire that left them orphans. In the care of foster mother Jill Kirkpatrick, he knows the little ones will be loved. Even if the sweet, strong widow won't let Mitch close to her. But suddenly the kids—and Jill—are in terrible danger…and one of the children is missing. Mitch a ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 288 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Nightwatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightwatch

Pam
Aug 05, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was a very good clean love story. A handsome firefighting hero and a strong kind hearted Heroine. This is my first read by Valerie Hansen i would like to read a few more her.
Rhonda
Sep 25, 2011 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of Valeries that I have read but it won't be the last. It was a clean romance, mystery and suspence with a lot of heroes in it.
Mitch is a firefighter that takes on to much blame when he can't save everyone. Their was a loud explosion of a business and a house. They were able to save the three children but not the parents.
Jill is a foster parent. She was in foster care as a child. Her husband died in a accident right after moving to a farm in a new area. Mitch feels blame f
Lyn
Jan 13, 2013 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nightwatch is not my first Valerie Hansen romance, nor my last!

I decided to read it since Nightwatch won the coveted American Christian Fiction Writers' CAROL Award in 2012.

Nightwatch is still available used and in ebook form. I think the story had the right amount of suspense to keep the plot moving along at a fast clip and the hero and heroine, a firefighter Mitch and a foster mom Jill respectively, were warm and believable characters.

The plot hinges on the mysterious fiery death of the par
Barbara
This book is part of “The Defenders” series which involves protecting children from dangerous people. Set in the bucolic town of Serenity, Arkansas, the book begins with an explosion that takes the fire department hours to control as well as the lives of a local married couple, Rob and Ellen Pearson, who ran an export company.

Their children, Timmy (age 7), Paul (age 5), and Megan (age 18 months), are placed into the custody of Jill Kirkpatrick, a recently widowed woman who’s acted as a foster mo
Avry15
Dec 07, 2011 Avry15 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

This was actually the first book I read of Ms. Hansen’s, judging from this book, this won’t be the last.:)…

The romance is subtle, but it’s there, a clean romance, with lot of action, mysteries and suspense in it.

The book is truly inspired by God. In every lines, I felt God constantly knocking at their hearts. It’s a book of faith, and that anyone like Mitch should not let himself stray away from God. It’s not like we deserve the trials were facing, it
Darcie Ragland
Apr 27, 2016 Darcie Ragland rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-a-fan
Title: Nightwatch
Author: Valerie Hansen
Rating: ⭐

To be perfectly honest, I read through 90% of this book today and it's safe to say that I didn't like it. The beginning chapters were exactly like Lemony Snicket's The Series of Unfortunate Events. The house caught on fire. Both parents died in the fire. Three (all) kids survived. Their first family member they were taken to turned out to be crazy. The baby gets kidnapped. Remind you of anything? Yeah, me too. The book seemed rushed and every page
Rhonda
Oct 05, 2011 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Ronna
May 15, 2012 Ronna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a real fan of romance fiction but this Christian mystery romance is a couple of steps above the normal romance story.  The characters were interesting and well developed.  The mystery established clues that kept me guessing till the conclusion.  The Christian emphasis was excellent but not preachy.  The addition of foster parenting and CASA ( Court Appointed Special Advocate---volunteers appointed by a judge to help abused, neglected, and needy kids) was an added interest.

A fire caused b
Sharon Jenni
NIGHTWATCH is about people who believe in God. However, the characters behave in a very human manner when faced with adversity. Why me? What did I do to deserve this? Does God care? Some of the questions most of us ask when something catastrophic happens in our lives. Sometimes we fail to see God's hand in the worst of circumstances but that is when He is the most active. Mitch, the father figure in the story, recognizes that God may not act in the way Mitch would want even when an innocent chil ...more
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Defenders

"What a wonderful story, full of drama and suspense. It was a “can't put it down” book. I really liked all the characters, the children, especially 7-year-old Timmy who as the oldest did his best to protect his little brother and baby sister. The hero firefighter Mitch is such a caring man, .... Jill is is a foster parent, she knows how the children feel because she, too, was in foster care and jostled from one home to the next. But now the children's lives on the line a
Amanda
Oct 24, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
This book overall had a good plot but I just couldn't get into it. As someone else mentioned the communication between the two, Mitch and Jill, seemed a little unbelievable because they supposedly knew each other so well, best friends and all.

This is my own fault for not knowing that this book is written with religious ties to it. I am not a religious person by any means so that is probably a lot of the reason I couldn't get into the book. Like I said the plot is good just didn't drag me in lik
Michelle
Dec 18, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book! Valerie Henson wrote a good book - it was both romantic (not one kiss on the lips is my only complaint) and suspenseful. The explosion that happens on the first page makes three kids parent-less Foster mother, Jill Kirkpatrick, takes in the three kids with her best friend by her side. Mitch Andrews is the one who saved the kids from a burning building. Then one of the children is kidnapped, making things worse.

This was very suspensful, even though I did figure out who it was f
Ellen Sara
This was an exciting, clean romance! I enjoyed Mitch and Jill. I was as worried as them for the safety of the kids. It was fun watching Mitch and Jill dance around each other as they realized they were falling in love. I did suspect the right person as the villain. I did doubt myself sometimes though. There were lots of twists and turns int he plot that I did not see coming! This was a really fun read. :)
Pegg
Mar 05, 2012 Pegg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming story about love and family. Jill Kirkpatrick and Mitch Andrews have been friends since Jill's husband died in an accident. When a couple from their church is killed, Jill and Mitch team together to take care of the three orphaned children. When the youngest child is stolen, tensions rise and priorities change. A sweet story suitable for any age. You can see the ending coming a mile away, but it's still worth the read.
Brenda C. McAllister
Excrellent!!!!!

Wow!! What a fast-paced, edge- of-your-seat adventure. An exciting story, centered on the goodness on the goodness of God, even when we tend to get ahead of Him. This was a fantastic read!!!!!
John Hanscom
Aug 28, 2011 John Hanscom rated it did not like it
Far too "folksy," the ending was abrupt and more explained than depicted, and it was hard to believe two people who knew each other so well and were best friends had the communication difficulties depicted.
Judine Brey
The best part of this book was the fact that Mitch and Jill had a long-term friendship that blossomed into love. The worst part of this book was that it had too many cycles of Timmy running away. This made Jill look incompetent as a guardian, when that wasn't the point.
Sami
Oct 28, 2011 Sami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was AMAZING!!! it was so mysterious I couldn't stop reading!!!
Aletha
Nov 01, 2011 Aletha rated it liked it
Good suspense. Not too much in favor of the way the baby was portrayed.
Deirdre Mansel
Jun 19, 2015 Deirdre Mansel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
page turning suspense
Vicki
Sep 24, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A nice read. There were too many undeveloped story lines used to "solve the mystery". I like Valerie's writing, but this was not a favorite.
Cathy Daniel
Dec 11, 2015 Cathy Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good! It was a different kind of LIS and I liked that! I liked how the main characters were friends :)
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Defenders
Karen
Oct 15, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads-copy
I enjoyed this book. It is heavily inspirational and romance, and just a bit of suspense. I would love to read anything Valerie might write if the proportions were reversed.
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Charlie - A Reading Machine rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2011
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Foster Clap
Foster Clap rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2011
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
Lara Van Hulzen
Lara Van Hulzen rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 22, 2015 10:52AM
  • Freezing Point
  • Storm Warning (Whisper Lake, #1)
  • Hidden in the Everglades (Guardians, Inc., #3)
  • Covert Pursuit
  • Running Blind (Heroes for Hire, #3)
  • Behind the Badge (The Morgan Brothers, #2)
  • Prince Incognito (Reclaiming The Crown, #3)
  • Flashpoint (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense #204) (Emerald Coast 911, #4)
  • The Officer's Secret  (Military Investigations, #1)
  • Dangerous Melody (Treasure Seekers #2)
  • Murder at Granite Falls (Big Sky Series, #4)
  • Vanishing Act
  • Fatal Secrets  (Protecting the Witnesses , #5)
  • Mission: Out of Control (Missions of Mercy, #2)
  • Risky Reunion (Protecting the Witnesses, #6)
  • Shades of Truth (Undercover Cops #2)
Valerie Hansen is the pen name of Valerie Whisenand.

Although I have been a published author since the mid 1980s, I have been writing women's Christian fiction almost exclusively since 1999.

There is a longer, more detailed bio on my website so there's no need for me to repea
More about Valerie Hansen...

The Defenders (5 books)