Start by marking “Firelight (Darkest London, #1)” as Want to Read:
Firelight (Darkest London, #1)

Firelight (Darkest London #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  5,430 ratings  ·  1,026 reviews
Once the flames are ignited . . .

Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.

They will burn for eternity . . .

Lord...more
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published January 31st 2012 by Forever (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Firelight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firelight

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

Unique, exciting, poignant, thrilling, sexy, funny, romantic… these are the words I’d use to describe Firelight, and yet, it’s so much more! I can’t really compare it to anything else I’ve read and it can’t be lumped into a single genre because in this first installment of the Darkest London series, author Kristen Callihan gives us the beauty of historical romance along with the dark, edginess of paranormal and the magic of fantasy. All of these elements combined have made this one of the best s...more
♡Karlyn P♡
4.5 stars. Not what I expected, but a great read all the same! I first heard of this debut book a few months ago and was instantly intrigued that it is a PNR series set in historical London 1880's. So when I noticed Netgalley had it I immediately requested it.

This book paints a vivid picture of a darker Gothic London, one plagued with cut throats and thieves, fathers who sell their daughters for a tidy sum, and cunning men willing to risk damnation of their very souls.

In this version of a 'bea...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
This book doesn't fit in one simple category. It's historical... with elements of the paranormal. It's gothic, dark, dangerous and romantic. It was completely enthralling and I absolutely could not put it down.

It's been three years since the mysterious Lord Archer first met Miranda. She captivated him with her fearlessness and fiery disposition. Now he has made arrangements with her father to marry her. Miranda doesn't realize that Archer is the same man she encountered that night in the alley a...more
new_user
May 06, 2014 new_user rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of A Rose in Winter
Recommended to new_user by: AH
Despite rough beginnings, Firelight by Kristen Callihan ends as a fun debut.

Callihan worried me when Firelight opened with one cliché stumbling over another cliché, smoking another cliché. The opening revealed some of Callihan's weaknesses, i.e. a tendency to wax purple when attempting flowery scenery, a bit of exaggerated insta-love, a beautiful-but-not heroine, and some self-conscious references to English culture by English characters. When I saw the girl in trousers, I groaned.

However, Fire...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Who is the Beauty, and who is the Beast? Sometimes, it is not so easy to figure out.

The writing was simply outstanding.

Hard cobble bruised her soles, her boot heels clicking loudly with every step. Mud and muck splashed her shins, the smell of sewage clogging her nostrils. Pain pinched her side, the boning in her bodice restricting her breath, but she could not falter. Grunts and thuds of fighting sounded beyond the net corner. She rounded the corner, her heels skidding on the wet stones.

I lov...more
Wendy
Feb 05, 2012 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wendy by: Jen (Red Hot Books)
Huge 5 stars!

Wow! This book is superbly written, with jaw dropping plots, that will have you turning the pages to get answers. It's evocative, romantic and the sexual tension is off the charts, guaranteed to leave you breathless and weak at the knees.

Here's a little teaser:

Archer's finger grazed hers. "I feel you. As if you were connected to me by an invisible string." He touched his chest. "I feel you here. In my heart."

She couldn't think past the mad pounding of her blood. She swallowed painfu
Jill

Lord Benjamin Archer is considered an aristocratic freak, his face covered by a mask to hide his deformity. He has travelled the world searching for a cure. When word comes from Egypt that there may be at last a solution, his assistant despatches the clue in a small box and sends it to England on Archer's fastest ship. Before reaching England's shores the ship is raided by pirates working for Hector Ellis, the small box lost along with Archer's hope of a cure.

With revenge on his mind, A...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
So check this out. One day I was just browsing through netGalley. As you know, most of the books there are cheesy, weird or sucky. Usually I go through the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category because from time to time it gets some cool stuff. Anyway, so I’m going through this, and I see a wonderful fiery cover. And I say what the hell, request the b*tch! So yeah, my main reason for reading this is the damn cover. Congrats cover artist! You managed to trick me!

It could have been worse. At least I enjoyed the...more
Dija
Jan 16, 2012 Dija rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of any of the following genres: HR, UF, PNR, and Sci-Fi. It's all here, and more.
Recommended to Dija by: Anzu The Great Destroyer
Thanks so very much to my dearest friend, Anzu, for lending me her ARC. Because you're so sweet, and I'm so generous, you may have Barrons all to yourself next weekend.

Have you ever read a book and felt as if it was written solely for you, keeping everything you love and want when it comes to novels in mind? I hadn't either, not before Firelight.

Firstly, allow me to gush about the exceptionally well-written historical aspect of this book. The entire book is filled with precise details and the s...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Sep 19, 2012 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura the Highland Hussy by: Jen (Red Hot Books)
review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

Spoiler Free

This book has compelling writing, although right off the bat you are bombarded with clichés. That may not bother some readers, but if it is a pet peeve of yours, then I promise that by the third chapter, the author really hits her stride, and the clichés are gone.

I have had a few of my friends telling me to read this one for weeks, since our tastes are similar, I downloaded from netgalley and was completely underwhelmed by the blurb. If...more
Miriam

[Edit: Oh, and I forgot to say that it's -- not really "based on" but I'll say influenced by the tale "East of the Sun & West of the Moon" in ways that become more explicit as the story progresses.]

When I started this book, which I picked up at random from the library without any advance knowledge, it seemed like it was going to be a fairly standard historical romance with a dollop of fantasy for color.

However, as it progressed Callihan skillfully dropped hints of a larger and more complex...more
AH
Wow. Captivating. Compelling. I could not put this book down.

Firelight by Kristen Callihan was a pleasant surprise. I’m not usually a historical romance reader, but I was enthralled by the rich detail and the beautiful writing style. Firelight combines historical romance with a touch of the paranormal and adds in just the right amount of mythological lore.

In a way, Firelight reminded me of The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast. This is not a retelling of those tales – instead the aut...more
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I liked this one. It has an intriguing premise, it's set in Victorian London (which I love!), and it's overall very well-written. I would like to have seen a bit more of the supernatural elements as well as character development, however, and for some reason I was never really as drawn in by the romance or the sex as many of my fellow readers have been. Still, I *loved* the part when we finally find out the fascinating thing under Lord Archer's mask--if the story had concentrated more...more
Didi
I'm totally loving this author! After reading The Hook Up, I knew she was someone I needed to read more of, and this first book in her Darkest London series was very cool and very different. This is pnr/UF, but not what you're probably thinking, it's refreshing getting a surprise in genres that are hard to supply something different and creative.

Miranda Ellis has a secret ability that she desperately tries to hide. The ability to start fires. Not faring well in life due to an accident that left...more
Ana
Miranda Ellis' life is not what she dreamed of. Instead of going to balls, falling in love, she has to steal so that she could support herself and her father.

She is so tired of it all, but when the opportunity comes to change it, she's not delighted. You see, her way out includes marriage to a man most people are terrified of. After all, no innocent man wanders around town masked.

Marries him she does, but all the while she feels that there's something good about her husband, or so she tries to...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
{Posted on Under the Covers

Debut author Kristen Callihan makes quite a statement with her first book in the Darkest London series entitled FIRELIGHT. A mixture of historical and paranormal romance, readers will be delighted by this dark, gritty world that blends fantasy elements in seamlessly.

We are introduced to Miranda Ellis, a woman who possesses a rare gift. The beginning of this book starts off well, enticing readers into a world that is both dark and intriguing. Callihan’s writing pulls y...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This was great :) Paranormal wrapped in a historical setting, with a gothic feel to it :) A new combination for me, and I really liked it :)

The beginning reminded me of "A Rose in winter", it's very similar, both heroes wear masks and are rumored to be vicious murderers. In both novels they pretty much force the heroine to marry them, there was actually an identical scene where they eat at his house after the wedding, actually she eats and he doesn't because of his mask, it was like, identical....more
Rachel (BAVR)
Curse you, Firelight. I begged for a reprieve, & you granted no quarter. But the time has come. This battle of titans has reached a breaking point. Crank up the AC/DC & slip into your peril-sensitive sunglasses, because IT'S ON.

That's right. Consider the gauntlet thrown.

(Content warning: spoilers, swearing, & gifs.)

When I oh-so-innocently suggested a buddy read to GR pal Rachel, we had no clue what we'd agreed to finish. While the plethora of glowing reviews made me somewhat wary (th...more
willaful
3.5 stars. Firelight mixes themes from many stories and myths -- Beauty and the Beast, Cupid and Psyche, “Firestarter” -- into a flawed but vivid story of love and redemption.

Lord Benjamin Archer is cursed, a man with unnatural strength who must hide his true face behind a mask at all times. Danger stalks him, yet he can’t resist his desire for Miranda Ellis. Miranda has no real choice when Archer ask to marry her, but she’s not without her own strange defenses. And she’s intrigued by him: “Lor...more
Mimi Smith
4 stars

This book has created such a buzz I was afraid it wouldn't live up to it. I am glad to say I wasn't disappointed. It hasn't quite become a favorite, as it didn't absorb me that much, but it's a great book, nonetheless.

Archer first saw Miranda three years ago. He has become enchanted by her beauty, courage and humour. He was forced to leave, but know he has come back and he wants her as his wife...

Archer himself is a mystery. He always wears a mask and everyone in London is afraid of him....more
Melindeeloo
Firelight starts out strong, finishes strong and what comes between is every bit as good, it immediately captured me and never let go.

The relationship between the dread Lord Archer who hides his visage behind a Carnival mask, and Miranda Ellis, who has her own dark secrets, unfolds against a back plot of a secret society that holds the key to the reason that Archer wears the mask and a killer who is savagely murdering its members. I am not going to say too much about the story to avoid spoiling...more
MISS VAIN
Jan 22, 2012 MISS VAIN rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of SIZZLING romance
He spread his arms wide in entreaty before letting them fall. "I lied. I lied when I said your beauty does not affect me. I look at you, and I'm breathless, dizzy from it. I want to kneel at your feet and worship you. While the baser part of me......" You'll just have to read to find out the rest....... ;)

What a brilliant beginning to a SIZZLING new series that paranormal romance readers can't help but fall in love with.

Firelight is a unique and gritty story that makes me nostalgic for The P...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Another outstanding debut!

I can't believe the luck I've had with my reading selections lately.

The characters are well developed with interesting characteristics and a perfect balance of strengths and weaknesses that make them appear real and believable despite their unusual circumstances. As a couple, they possess an intriguing amount of chemistry and sexual tension that keeps the pages quickly turning.

Lord Archer has patiently waited for years to take Lady Miranda as his wife. From their firs...more
Ann Aguirre
First off, ignore the blurb. This heroine isn't forced to do anything. She's one of the most empowered heroines I've ever read. Second, this is a kick-ass retelling of Beauty and the Beast without the imbalance of power issues. So if that's your thing, then just get it. No need to read on.

This book has splendid writing, a riveting story, beautifully drawn characters, a compelling premise, smoldering sexual tension, and an unforgettable ending. Really, what more do you need to know? Go buy it, r...more
Angela
6 June 2014: $1.99 on Kindle
**Update** 11/1/2012: Just $1.99 on Kindle! Such a great deal for this fantastic book!!

I admit it, the first thing that drew me to this book was the gorgeous, fiery cover. Somehow this book got pushed quite far down my to-be-read pile, and I’m so incredibly sorry that it took me so long to pull it out.

Firelight is a beautifully written, passionate, mysterious book that kept me on the edge of my seat to find out how things turn out for Miri and Archer. The world is sim...more
Layla
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

My rating: 3.75/5 stars
First line: “The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took.”
Favourite quote: “Their eyes met, and that spark of something hot and sharp ripped through her again. Awareness. It took a moment to realize, but that was it. She was utterly aware of him. Of the breadth of his shoulders, the deep even way he breathed, the force of his gaze. Bloody hell, but she we bes...more
Melanie
I loved this book! It was unique, it was refreshing and so darn good that I devoured it as fast as I could. Kristen Callihan has such an amazing talent for detail and imagery that I could almost envision myself watching scenes against the backdrop of a dark and foggy late 19th century London and taste that divine oyster stew.

Normally, I wouldn't say that historical romance novels are my top pick for reading material and generally the ones that I've enjoyed the most are the "fluffy" ones that hav...more
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
This book just about ticked all of my boxes. I'm a fan of Paranormal Romance and an occasional dabbler in the Historical Romance genre, and this book is such a perfect blending of the two, coupled with exceptional storytelling, great characters and a captivating romance. I LOVED it!

I would urge anyone about to read this not to read any spoilery reviews, nor to read the prequel, Ember, first, because one of the biggest thrills for me with this book was the guessing game I had to play with regards...more
 ❀ Minesha ❀
He was her sunrise, sunset, and everything in between.

Usually, I can devour two 400-page books in a single day. However it took me 2 whole days to finish up Firelight probably because the book was just too beautifully written and I wanted to read each and every line. I kept turning the pages back and forth to reread the scenes. The descriptions were so vivid, I actually felt like I was inside the book, living the story!

*Spoilers*

PLOT- Benjamin Archer is cursed. His entire right side of the body...more
If Firelight was to be a movie 3 12 Jun 25, 2014 07:18AM
Nancy Gideon By M...: Firelight~December Monthly Read 106 21 Dec 20, 2013 09:06AM
Tempting Reads: August Book Club Book Pick: Firelight by Kristen Callihan 2 4 Jul 30, 2013 07:51PM
Novel Books &...: Callihan, Kristen - Firelight - Start Date: April 12th 2013 46 99 Jul 01, 2013 06:50PM
Firelight on Sale 1 37 Oct 30, 2012 07:13AM
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • Bring Him Home
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • No Proper Lady (Englefield, #1)
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • How Beauty Met the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1)
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
Kristen Callihan is a child of the 80’s, which means she's worn neon skirts, black-lace gloves, and combat boots (although never all at once) and can quote John Hughes movies with the best of them. A life long daydreamer, she finally realized that the characters in her head needed a proper home and thus hit the keyboard. She believes that falling in love is one of the headiest experiences a person...more
More about Kristen Callihan...
The Hook Up (Game On, #1) Moonglow (Darkest London, #2) Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3) Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4) Ember (Darkest London, #0.5)

“Slowly, her slim hand smoothed over the swell of his buttock, lingering there. A shocked laugh choked his throat, the sound muddled by a stifled groan that her intrigued touch elicited. The saucy little sneak thief was copping a feel. He felt inclined to turn around and let her get a handful.” 43 likes
“He took a quick breath, and his voice dropped. "You've no notion of the effect you have on me"

The words gave a hard tug to her belly. She closed her eyes and swallowed. "If by effect, you mean finding yourself in unchartered waters, wondering whether you are coming or going...." She stared at his shirt, watching his breath hitch. "Then I fear you have the same effect on me, my lord.”
31 likes