Start by marking “Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)

Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  88,786 ratings  ·  2,541 reviews
The meticulously dismembered body of a woman is discovered in the grounds of an abandoned monastery. 'Too decomposed for standard autopsy. Request antrhopologic expertise.' Enter Dr Temperance Brennan, Director of Forensic Antrhopology for the province of Quebec, who has been researching recent disappearances in the city. Despite the deep cynicism of Detective Claudel who ...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Arrow (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Déjà Dead, please sign up.

Meghan It is similar in Tempe's character but she is not superwoman as in the tv series. The cases are similar, but I think book 2 is better than the first.…moreIt is similar in Tempe's character but she is not superwoman as in the tv series. The cases are similar, but I think book 2 is better than the first. I have a feeling the more you read Kathy Reich's novels..the more addicting they are.(less)

Feb 08, 2012 Crystal rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dry murder mysteries and forensic research
Shelves: mysteries
eh, it was okay. I am a huge fan of the TV series Bones, which is loosely based off Kathy Reichs' series, of which this is the first book. However, I realized exactly how LOOSELY BASED the series is after reading this book. what I love about the show is the romantic tension and sparkling humor and wit. these books are so much dryer and less fun. Even the lead character is less appealing--instead of being a gorgeous unattached doctor, she's an older alcoholic doctor, with a messy divorce and a te ...more
Separate the tv show and this book. You will be very disappointed if you come in thinking it'll be like the tv show. The characters, setting, and story are drastically different. However, I think this book is a lot better than the show and I liked the first seasons of Bones. The lead character is more believable. She has faults like any normal human being and doesn't always make the smart choices. She isn't a superhero on crack (she actually gets pretty banged up). The character seems more human ...more
Honestly, I didn't like this book much during the first several chapters. It's obvious she was a novice writer and her over-use of metaphors drove me crazy! Also, not being a French speaker, all the French (slightly excessive in my opinion) annoyed me a bit.
I am a fan of the tv show 'Bones', which is based on this series of books, so I was excited to start. There are some major differences between the tv and the book versions of the main character, which was a transition for me, but I ended up l
Christ, was it a struggle to get through this book. When I read up on her books on Amazon it said "Better than Patricia Cornwell!!" so I thought DAMN this MUST be good, seeing as I loved many of PC's earlier novels.
It sucked. Not only did it suck... but it sucked hardcore. I was halfway through the book and still couldn't keep track of who half of the characters were. I dreaded anytime a conversation ended because that meant she was about to start one of her endlessly descriptive blurbs.
Don't g
"i was killed by curiosity like a finely tuned cat."

that was not, actually, one of the many similes this book is drowning in, but it may as well have been. some real examples:

"In my mind’s eye I could see her standing at a pay phone, scanning her surroundings, her eyes never resting, broadcasting fear like Radio Free Europe."

"She was thin as soup in a homeless shelter"

"For the third time in as many days I saw daybreak, an event I embrace as eagerly as Joe Montana welcomes an all-out blitz."

May 16, 2009 Mireille rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who does not own a TV, & has therefore NEVER seen the series
I made it to chapter 4 of this book (pg45) but really had to stop. The book itself was good, don’t get me wrong… HOWEVER, I picked it up specifically because I totally LOVE the TV show “Bones” which is based off of this series of books. And as everyone knows, the book(s) that a TV show, mini-series, or movie is based upon are always better… boy was I wrong.

I love forensics stories with a good plot & this one has that, BUT I just can’t get involved with the book’s “Tempe” because she’s sooooo
This is the first of the Temeperance Brennan books. If you are looking for the Bones version of Temperance Brenna, this is not it. Think of this as the original and the Bones version as being the modified version designed to be appealing to a wide television audience.

In many ways Kathy Reich's books remind me of Patricia Cornwell's. Or perhaps I should say Patricia Cornwell's remind me of Kathy Reich's, seeing as KR first began writing in the forensic's genre before PC did, add to that a the fac
I am only sorry for waiting so long to read it. Great story! I think KR does have a sense of humor and I loved all of the technical stuff. Another series added to my list.
Jamie Belmudes
Accidentally read the second book last year so I decided to read the first book and now getting to it.

Most of us has heard or seen the T.V. show Bones. I know I have. I love Tempe Brennan. She is just amazing (not to mention the fact that I want to have her job). Deja Dead is the first book in the Temperance Brennan series which the show is based on. Of course the book isn't the same. The only character that is the same on the show as the book is Tempe.

But this is so much more. Tempe is in Montr
This book is exactly as good as you'd expect it to be when you buy it for 7 Euros at the airport out of desperation when you have nothing else to read and you need something to occupy your time on a 9 hour flight from Europe to the US. Which is to say, it was awful.

Where to even start? How about with some of the terrible similes that appear every two pages or so (sometimes even more frequently)?

"I'm as familiar with the ebb and flow of Gabby's moods as I was with my own menstrual cycles."
BJ Rose
I wanted to like this a lot more than I did - and that has nothing to do with differences in the Temperance Brennan of this series and the one in TV's Bones. This one, after all, is the original. My problems were twofold; I hit overload (often) on the lengthy and detailed explanations of the mutilated bodies of the victims, and the overly detailed scientific and forensic descriptions. Yes, we know that she's a forensic anthropologist and expect some of that, but it was often too much to wade thr ...more
Ana T.
I had a good time reading this book, it's my second read by Reichs and I'm looking forward to more. I like the thriller feel, the fast paced action and even the gory details and suspense parts that keep you on the edge of your seat regarding what's going to happen next.

The plot revolves around the discovery of human remains that Brennan quickly relates to another murder whose victim she has come in contact with in the past. As the police doesn't seem to give credence to her serial murder theory
I really enjoyed this book; like really enjoyed it.
It was by no means a great work of literature *said in a fancy English accent* but it was fun, and very engaging.

However, as a long time Bones fan, I was slightly disappointed at how different the main characters are, BUT as I continued to read I was able to separate the fantastic TV show from this equally engaging book, and appreciate them separately.

Lastly, I found parts of the book to be a little predictable.
Brennan was constantly just putti
Entertaining book. Densely plotted, with exacting details of forensic practices. This book may be too gruesome for anyone who dreads the thought of reading in-depth autopsy descriptions and macabre brutality perpetrated against female victims. Though the TV show "Bones" is based on this series by Reichs, the book could not be more different from the show. Temperance Brennan is entirely different, and the overall feel of the book lacks the joviality and camaraderie of the show. Still, however, I ...more
Two things first.

1. I am not a "mystery person." Therefore my review might be biased because of that.

2. This book is nothing like the TV show "Bones" unless you count the main character's name and profession.

Okay, now... This book was an okay read. I felt the only character that was complete was Tempe. I felt like the other people in the story were interesting only if Tempe paid much attention to them in her thoughts, which is how this story is filtered. I liked the plot, overall. I am a little
The TV show Bones is probably the best and worst thing to ever happen to this series. The best because it’s no doubt brought a whole slew of new, eager readers to these books—including ones like me, who are really only sporadic watchers of the show. And the worst because all those new readers will inevitably be hauling all their show-based expectations with them. At which point they will discover that this book is—to me, sadly—nothing like the show.

The main character both on TV and in print is c
I'm happy to report I've found a new series that I really enjoyed-- although not for the faint of heart or sensitive of stomachs. It took me longer than usual to get over the opening chapters because this author is as precise in the physiological details as I've ever read-- I could practically smell the decay. Once I mastered "skimming the grossest of details," I was hooked!

This novel features some interesting characters and I love that it's set in Montreal, Quebec... a city I didn't know much a
Mikey B.
There is resolution in this story of a serial killer for which I was thankful.

However, like much in this genre, it is way too long. How many murders of women do we need to get the point across – two or three would have been adequate; instead we are given six grisly butchered women with tabloid sensationalist descriptions. The author seems to get a vicarious thrill from these lengthy and repeated murders and the mood became more and more macabre.

The story is plot-driven and the characters and the
This was the first book I have read of Kathy Reichs. I like the forensic science but sometimes I think she gets almost too detailed. I get lost in the science and lose the story. But I have to say that Temperance Brennan is a fun, intersting, likeable character. I am also infatuated with Andrew Ryan the hot detective from Montreal. It moves fast and is interesting. The minuses are that I think Tempe sometimes over-reacts and doesn't use her brain. Plunging herself head first into danger. But hav ...more
Reichs, Kathy - 1st Temperance Brennan

When the bones of a woman are discovered in the grounds of an abandoned monastery, Dr Temperance Brennan of the Laboratoire de Medecine Legale in Montreal is convinced that a serial killer is at work. The detective in charge of the case disagrees with her, but he is forced to revise his opinion.

Very good dialogue, good suspense. Better than Cornwell recently. Will read the next.
3+ stars, not quite 4.

It suffers from the Don't-Open-That-Door-Because-It's-Friday-the-13th-and-You-Live-on-Elm-Street syndrome (view spoiler), but it's a lot of fun, if you consider autopsies and dead bodies fun ;-)

I will read a few more in the series, but perhaps not right away.

Auntie J
7/29/15 Kindle Daily Deal

If you want to try the series that inspired the show "Bones" today is the day to snag the first in the series. It's different than the show, but good. Recommend to fans of murder mysteries and police procedurals.
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Deja Dead' is an exciting thriller, but it takes awhile to gain speed. The first 100 or so pages convinced me of the author's bonafides as a practicing forensic scientist in real life. The rest of the book convinced me that Kathy Reichs is a writer! I will be continuing with the Dr. Temperance Brennan series for sure. I loved this, loved loved loved…

“I looked at the pelvis. Turning it to the side I noted that the notch below the hip blade was broad and shallow. I repositioned it so that I could
Troy Blackford
Adequate Yet Strangely Unsatisfying

This book was entertaining, creepy, and engaging. It also struck me as kind of ridiculous in places and grating throughout.

The mystery was decent. The technical perspective (i.e., seeing the crime procedural from the vantage point of the forensic scientist instead of the detectives) was refreshing. The crimes were macabre and disturbing.

The main problem for me was voice. This is a first-person tale, told from the perspective of 'Temperance Brennan.' I just didn
While completely different than the Dr. Temperance Brennan from Reichs' foray into television on the hit FOX show BONES, Reichs has woven a complicated web of murders. Are they connected? Are there multiple twisted killers, or is there one masterfully demented and disturbed mind behind all of the seemingly random slayings?

Reichs' Tempe Brennan is a likeable character, with clear strengths, endearing weaknesses, and is enough of an "every man" for any reader to relate to her.

Reichs also succeeds
Kathy Davie
I can't believe I missed this one after having read everything else in the series. It felt odd to read this beginning of the Temperance Brennan series at the end of the series...more like deja vu for me!

And it reminded me why I love reading this series. Intrigue, mystery, history, great characters, beautifully detailed (and involving) details in a well-written story.
Sarah ( Paris )
الرواية رائعة ..أول رواية تكتبها كاثي ريكس ..
وأولى مغامرات الدكتورة تمبرنس ..
الأحداث سريعة جدا ...
والدكتورة تمب برأيي أنها متهورة .. ..
وكماهي دائما رواياتها صادمة جدا .. فيها الكثير من مساوئ البشر .. القتل وبالتأكيد الكثير من العظام ..

كرواية أولى هي رائعة ..
لا اعرف لم لمْ .. اقرأها قبل الآن ..
رغم أنني قرأت جميع روايات الكاتبةالأخرى ..
Aug 18, 2013 Miriam rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: Clare
Shelves: mystery

The prose is on the heavy-handed side, but not terrible for a first novel by someone whose background is in science rather than letters. Interesting enough story that I'm willing to pick up the next book in the series.
Anne Wright
A Wonderful book which puts a very different spin on Tempe Brennan. Loved the book and will read more
2015 Reading Chal...: Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs 1 11 Oct 16, 2015 04:54AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs 3 16 May 26, 2015 07:57PM
not entirely sure 15 112 Jan 24, 2015 10:30AM
Greg Iles books 2 9 Jan 23, 2015 10:22PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs 5 27 Jan 04, 2015 04:19PM
Aussie Lovers of...: Bones 12 52 Sep 13, 2014 07:29PM
  • Fludd
  • Boom!
  • The Devil's Bones (Body Farm #3)
  • Choke Hold
  • The Getaway
  • Queenpin
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2)
Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A ...more
More about Kathy Reichs...

Temperance Brennan (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)
  • Deadly Decisions (Temperance Brennan, #3)
  • Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • Bare Bones (Temperance Brennan, #6)
  • Monday Mourning (Temperance Brennan, #7)
  • Cross Bones (Temperance Brennan, #8)
  • Break No Bones (Temperance Brennan, #9)
  • Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10)
  • Devil Bones (Temperance Brennan, #11)

“She wanted to feel safe. Untouchable in her home. The ultimate female fantasy.” 44 likes
“I hated myself for needing him at such times, for craving his strength whenever I felt upset.” 22 likes