Start by marking “The Rider Of Lost Creek” as Want to Read:
The Rider Of Lost Creek

The Rider Of Lost Creek (Kilkenny #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,386 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Lance Kilkenny has a debt to pay, and he isn't about to let the friend who saved his life go down in a range war. But when the gunman tries to stop the fighting, he finds there's more at stake than land or a disputed water hole. Unabridged. 2 CDs.
Mass Market Paperback, First Paperback Edition, 153 pages
Published August 1976 by Bantam Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Rider Of Lost Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rider Of Lost Creek

Rizwan
All three Kilkenny westerns are my favorite, but the first one is still The Best and one of the very best western novels ever! Aside for the Sacketts, Lance Kilkenny is my most favorite Hero of Wild West. He perfectly embodies the "Lone Drifter Gunfighter" persona in the books that Clint Eastwood so wonderfully immortalized in films. But Kilkenny is not "The Man With No Name", because he's not just an anchorless, mysterious tough guy...He has ties, he has a past, he has friends who'll get his he ...more
Carl
Kilkenny is a loner, but he is not a man who forgets favors. So when Mort Davis, a man who saved his life years ago, asks for Kilkenny’s help, he rides off to help him try to avert an impending range war. I have not read a lot of L'Amour, so when I saw “The Rider of Lost Creek” as a Kindle special, I got it – and I am glad I did. I grew up on television’s westerns of the 50’s, so I do enjoy that occasional western novel.

“The Rider of Lost Creek” depicts an impending range war with the growth of
Gary Baughn
I used to read L'Amour whenever we went to the beach for Easter. He was light, fast and whenever one of his heroes was trapped in the desert heat without water being pursued by Apaches, I felt better able to empathize while sitting in a deck chair under the hot Alabama sun, having to stretch almost beyond my reach for a cool beer.
Anyway, since I faced a hospital stay, I wanted something light, and read The Rider of Lost Creek. Unfortunately, in this book L'Amour tries to create a Western Mystery
Morris Graham
Lance KIlkenny is somewhat of mystery. A gunfighter, he doesn't hang around very long after a fight for people to get to know him. An old friend who nursed him back to health after he was seriously wounded needs his help. His friend has the smallest of three ranches about to be embroiled in a range war over grass and barbwire. L'Amour weaves this tale with all of the feel of the authentic old west. It could have been boring to have a range war and fight over barbed wire, so the author weaves sub ...more
Leo
Very entertaining and relaxing book. The character are well defined add the plot has a great flow.
Lance is the fastest gun but he is trying to pacify the two ranges that are in quarrel with their neighbor for putting up fences. He soon found out it was not about wire but about power. There was a gun battle and he was hit but he recuperated weeks later and rode back into the hills singing a song; I have a word to speak, boys
only one to say,
Don't never be no cow thief,
don't never ride no stray,
Timeforme
Main Character:
Lance - A gunfighter coming to help a friend

Synopsis:
Lance Kilkenny has a debt to pay, and he isn’t about to let the friend who saved his life go down in a range war. But when Kilkenny tries to stop the fighting, he finds there’s more at stake than land or wire. Whoever is stirring up trouble has big ideas for the Live Oak country—and an army of hired guns to back them up. Nita Riordan, the beautiful and fiery owner of the Apple Canyon Saloon, warns Lance that the mysterious man o
Jeff Dickison
This is one of L'Amour's weakest efforts. The book is full of western cliches (tough sidekick, good gal almost gone bad, fast gunslingers, smart horses, and a hero that would rather ride off on his horse than stay with a good woman), poor writing, and jumbled presentations. Still I expect L'Amour fans will love it. I would not recommend it as a book to begin reading L'Amour.
Teigen Grubl
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was full of suspense and had mystery parts in it that dealt with crime and murder. I didn't get bored with it at all. It was about a man trying to start a range war between 3 cattle ranches so they would kill each other off, and take over the ranches.
Kilkenny is not a man who forgets favors. So when Mort Davis, a man who saved his life, asks for Kilkenny’s help, he responds immediately. What he finds when he arrives at Davis’s ranch is perplexing.

Webb Steele and Chet Lord tower over the valley with their huge ranches. They are determined to squelch Mort Davis – seem to be under the impression that he is a malicious squatter and perpetrator of annoyances. But Kilkenny divines that Steele and Lord are not the main players in this game; they ar
Chaney Keffeler
Three ranches were fighting due to an outside man who want to see them kill each other off. Kilkenny was one of the fastest gunman in the West. He solved the issues between the ranches and found out who the outsider was and killed him during the range war.
Mandi Ellsworth
This L'Amour book was different in that it didn't end happily ever after. In fact, it didn't really end. It left it open for a sequel, which is out of the norm for him. But I have to say that it makes me happy that he didn't always do what his readers expected.

Kilkenny is a loner. He had some education in the East but prefers life out west. No one knows where he's from or anything about his family. All they know is the stories they've heard about his gunslinging. And those are legendary enough t
Tyler Hohenberger
I liked how Kilkenny was basically just a drifter but when one of his old friends who was in trouble he kept his loyalty and came to help settle the dispute and keep the land from busting out into a war.
Fredrick Danysh
Lance Kilkenny is a man who wants to be left alone. Nita Riordan is a good woman who inherited a saloon. The two become friends along with her half-Indian guard. The two get caught up in a range war.
Eric
One of my favorite continuing stories of Louis L'Amour is that of Lance Kilkenny. I have read alot of L'Amour and I have always come back to these stories. I love me some Kilkenny, and so when I saw at the library I thought it was time to go back for a good does of the West.

Ok. I realized after writing the above that this is the 1947 magazine version of the story. It was changed somewhat for the novel that followed. I would have to read the novel now to see how they compare, and I may. All said,
deeann linford
Another good western.

Even with a book as unpolished as this one Louis L'Amour holds your interest until the last page. Let new authors follow his principles, techniques, common sense, and study of the west to create present day westerns worth reading. No vulgar language, sex, immoral behaviour is needed to hold a reader's interest. Good story lines, good editing, lots of hard work, and not giving up no matter how many rejection slip you get will give us wonderful stories. This story is a very go
Rhonda "Ondami"
A Good story with a a fast shooting good and quiet man in a western with a little romance thrown in.
Bette
I love Louis L'Amour books. Adventure, mystery, action + a little romance.
Pushpita
a must read for L'Amour fans , a thrilling read
This was the first L'Amour book I ever listened to, and I admit to being somewhat unsure about it. I liked Kilkenny, and I probably out to read the other two books he's in sometime, but the narrator was really awful. I mean, he was truly bad. As a result, it kind of messed up the book for me, although I suspect it wasn't one of L'Amour's best works to begin with. For a while, until I got to To Tame a Land and the Sackett series, I really didn't think much of L'Amour as an author.
Ed
#2 in the Kilkenny series after 1954's Kilkenny.

Kilkenny series - Recorded - Mort Davis saved Lance Kilkenny's life after he was shot up. Now Davis needs Kilkenny's help. He has filed a claim on a water hole near Lost Creek . The district is dominated by two cattlemen, Webb Steele and Chet Lord, each claiming the water hole that Davis occupies.
Ray
I really enjoyed this book. It talked about how in the old days, people started fencing off pieces of ground for their livestock. At first no one like the idea but eventually more and more people did. This book is about cowboys trying to find other cowboys that are cutting the fences. If you like to read westerns, I encourage you to read this one.
Darla
(Genre:Western Fiction) We started reading this book while on a fishing trip in Southern Utah. It is a classic L'Amour: Someone in trouble and getting the raw edge of a deal in the wild west. Up steps a cowboy gunslinger that fights for the underdog against great odds. The good guys triumph over the bad guys. You gotta love it!
Stephanie Ricker
I blew through The Rider of Lost Creek because it was in the pile of booksale books I hadn’t read, but I must confess I’m getting a little tired of L’Amour. This one, the first in the Kilkenny series, was still enjoyable enough, but only if you haven’t read a slew of L’Amour in the last year like yours truly.
Craig
An engaging western involving a potential range war in south Texas. L'Amour introduces a "good" gun fighter, Kilkenny, who rides into the fray to help an old friend. Maybe not great literature, but fun nevertheless. This novel should be read before starting "A Man Called Trent", also by L'Amour.
Alan Petersen
I haven't read a western in 30+ years. I'm so glad I re-discovered Louis L'Amour. The Rider of Lost Creek was a flat out fun and entertaining read.
Lexie
Yes, I'm a huge Louis L'Amour fan, I own just about every one of his westerns (in book form), and have read each one AT LEAST once, several books 2 or 3 times!! If you have the slightest interest in the wild west, a L'Amour novel will hook you into reading about it!!
Fredrick Danysh
Lance Kilkenny gets caught in a Texas range war as he tries to repay a debt to a friend. Nita Riodan warns Kilkenny of a mysterious stranger who wants to kill him. Lance is right in the middle of a powder keg ready to explode.
Nikki
Enjoyable, but westerns just aren't for me.
Charles
Kilkenny was one of L'Amour's recurring characters. This is a book about him, one of the fastest of the gunfighters. I'm not overly enamored of the Kilkenny character but still this is a pretty good book.
Deborah Chappell
a man only known by rumors. But no one really knew him. He only killed when he had to to protect others and himself.He had a bad reputation But it was wrong He was a good man.
  • The Spirit of the Border
  • Hombre
  • The Untamed
  • The Searchers
  • Sons of Texas
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

Kilkenny (5 books)
  • The Mountain Valley War (Kilkenny #2)
  • Kilkenny (Kilkenny, #3)
  • A Gun for Kilkenny (Kilkenny #4)
  • Monument Rock (Kilkenny #5)
Last of the Breed Hondo Sackett's Land The Walking Drum The Lonesome Gods

“The word was out that Royal Barnes was huntin’ Kilkenny,” somebody commented. “He was kin to the Webers, you know. Half-brother, I think.” 0 likes
“Where can a man get a bite to eat?” the cowhand asked. “There’s several restaurants, but if you can do with beef an’ eggs, just set down over yonder and we can fix you up. They’re fixin’ breakfast for the boss right now,” the bartender added, “and I’ll just have them put on something extry.” When the bartender saw” 0 likes