Start by marking “The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor (The Governor Series #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  10,249 ratings  ·  1,285 reviews
Following in the footsteps of the New York Times bestselling graphic novels and the record-breaking new television show, this debut novel in a trilogy of original Walking Dead books chronicles the back story of the comic book series greatest villain, The Governor

In The Walking Dead universe, there is no greater villain than The Governor. The despot who runs the walled-off...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 11th 2011 by Macmillan Audio (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, please sign up.

Bastet You could read this book at any time; it's not going to spoil anything for you....neither is The Road to Woodbury. But stop there & get caught up…moreYou could read this book at any time; it's not going to spoil anything for you....neither is The Road to Woodbury. But stop there & get caught up on the show before you go any further. Enjoy!(less)

Gina
I won this on Goodreads!

When I started this book I had no idea what the book was about. I watched The Walking Dead when it aired last year and I thought it was A-M-Azing. Before I read this book I had to do a little research on "The Governor" because I haven't read the comics and also the show hasn't introduced that character yet. Also keep in mind that I basically only read YA books with a female as the main p.o.v. So with that being said I started the book and all I can say is Wow! The ending...more
Anthony Chavez
As I have read the first compendium of 48 trade paperbacks that ended the original Governor story arc, I jumped at the chance to pick up this collaboration by series creator Robert Kirkman and horror writer Jay Bonansinga. "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor" is an amazing idea for a novel or trilogy. I hear that the Governor is one of the series', and even comic books in general, most notorious and loathsome villains, and the notion of exploring his back story is definitely going to be appe...more
Lucy
Patrick D'Orazio
The Walking Dead, Rise of the Governor, should be more aptly titled (as mentioned by several other reviewers): The Birth of the Governor. If this book has a sequel, it would tell of the actual rise of the Governor. In fact, I feel that given what this particular book is lacking, there would need to be a sequel to bridge the gap between what we have been introduced to with this story and what we see when Rick, Glenn, and Michonne stumble across Woodbury in the comic books.

While this story wasn't...more
Gabriel
Won in a Goodreads First Reads.

Sigh.

After greatly enjoying the first season of the AMC show and getting deep into the comics, I was looking forward to this. I mean, good zombie novels are far and very few between. They seem to work better as film horrors over novel horrors. Even so, The Walking Dead comics did a wonderful job of transforming the brutality of George Romero zombie flicks into a written media.

This book does NOT follow suit.

Maybe it's due to the fact that it's written in the present...more
Brian
Okay, I am a HUGE zombie fan. I have also been collecting the Walking Dead comic book since issue #2 and when I first heard about this novel, I was excited. Kirkman explores the deeper thoughts/feelings/issues of a z-apocalyptic world via the comic (and now the TV show) and I thought a novel would allow him to really sink his teeth into the material. Also, he has never (not in comics or TV) dealt with the early days of the epidemic.

If you haven't ever read the comic, but are a fan of apocalyptic...more
Kristina
Okay, so I liked the book. I liked it enough that I plan on reading the rest of the series. I did not however "really" like it or think it was amazing. Hence, the three star rating.

For one, and probably my biggest issue with this book, is how part two of this book played out almost exactly like parts of season four of the show played out. I kept thinking, "Wait, is this a novelization of season four, or is this really the story of way before we ever met the Governor in season three?" Also, it h...more
Chris
Mar 23, 2013 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Walking Dead fans
Shelves: 2013-read-owned
Well now. That was interesting.

I actually had a bit of a time getting into this one. It didn't have the pace of the comic series (that this is based on), and was written in the present tense. That's a bit jarring for me, though I did get used to it.

Note that this is the backstory of the Governor from the Walking Dead comic book/graphic novel series. It is NOT the backstory of the character by the same name/title in the AMC television series.

As far as a backstory goes, this one is pretty damn goo...more
☆~Stephanie ~☆
I really enjoyed this book a lot ! This book was so much better for me then World War Z ! I can't wait to start the next one will start it tonight .if you haven't read this you should give it a try it was really great book.
Wendy Browne
The death of his beloved wife years earlier had already ruined Philip Blake’s life, leaving him with a single purpose: to care for and protect his daughter, Penny. This does not change when the zombie apocalypse hits, but his circle of protection expands to include his two best friends, and, unfortunately, his hapless, sickly brother Brian.

The Governor has been a frightening inclusion in The Walking Dead series, but as with all truly good antagonists, he is not simply mad and/or evil. This trilo...more
Figgy
Those 4 stars up there are misleading, let me try and explain...

3 stars for the story, which kept getting distracted by itself, and wandering off into the past or other times, or memories of the characters, leaving the reader (or listener), wondering where the heck this detour came from and where was the path so they could try and find their way back to the story.

A story which was, all things said and done, not particularly well put together or unique, but which did have one heck of an interes...more
Sue Moro
This book is the first in a trilogy focusing on one of the most controversial characters in The Walking Dead series so far, that of the Governor of Woodbury. He first makes his appearance half way through the graphic novel compendium one, and his story line is just beginning in season three of the television series.

As the story begins, the zombie outbreak has already occurred and people are struggling to survive. Brain Blake and his younger brother, Philip, are traveling with their high school b...more
Matt
As far as prequels go, this rates up there with The Phantom Menace and Batman Begins Kindergarten.
It's slow and boring and adds very little to the Walking Dead narrative. I don't think Kirkman had very much hand in this at all. Another author (Jay Bonansinga) is listed and, unless Kirkman really can't switch mediums (like Orson Scott Card, for example, didn't write a very good Iron Man comic), the fault lies with Bonansinga.
The descriptions use far too many cliches, which detracts from otherwis...more
Andrew Dearborn
So I just finished reading Rise of the Governor by Kirkman and Bonansinga. Honestly I was super excited for this book when I first heard about it, I mean it was a chance to explore the wider world of Walking Dead. Sadly it's a slow book that, while having a great ending, is paced like the comics. Don't get me wrong I love the Walking Dead comics, but a slow 30 page issue is different then 30 pages of slowness in a book. In the book it rises and falls like a comic book series, which works wonderf...more
Calypso
"The Walking Dead - A Ascensão do Governador" foi um livro que rapidamente me despertou a curiosidade, mais não fosse por ser eu uma fã da série "The Walking Dead".

Apesar de nunca ter sido uma fã do governador (na série de TV) assim que tive oportunidade inicie a leitura deste livro. É um livro repleto de acção onde acompanhamos a viagem de Philip, a sua filha Penny, o seu irmão mais velho Brian e dois amigos de Philip: Nick e Bobby.

Desde cedo Philip mostra que tem capacidades de liderança semp...more
T.C. Harrelson
I love the world of Robert Kirkman. That is, the post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested free-for-all that is The Walking Dead. Naturally, I had to wade into the back story of one of Kirkman's iconic characters—the Governor—when he expanded his franchise into the world of novels. Jay Bonansinga was tapped to "put flesh on the Governor's bones" so to speak by providing the details of his transformation from mere survivor to leading the fortified town of Woodbury, Georgia.

Bonansinga is a gifted writer t...more
Matthew Blake
I had a hard time getting into this book at first, but once I did it sucked me in. A fan of all things Walking Dead, this fan can say that fellow lovers of The Walking Dead will find this to be a great and interesting addition to the story.

I must note that this book was particularly emotional for me. I was crushed by a few of the scenes in it, which I didn't think would happen after being so desensitized by so many Walking Dead comics.

A great read, I highly recommend it. The only thing that kept...more
Irinita
Que grande desilusão! A premissa era excelente: contar a estória da ascensão do Governador – uma das personagens mais intrigantes em The Walking Dead. Sou grande fã da série de TV e não hesitei em comprar este livro.
O livro avança devagar e as cenas de acção – na série muito boas (para quem gosta do género zombie, claro)– são simplesmente maçadoras.
As personagens são pobres e entediantes e as suas acções – e reflexões – muito previsíveis.
Uma perda de tempo.
Yodamom
Audiobook- Fabulous narrator*
Omg!!! Shocking twists and truths revealed. if you think you know The Governor you don't till you read this book. He is not who has portrayed himself to be. I think I might have sprained my jaw it dropped so far when I got the truth about who he is. Holy Crisps, I could barely catch my breath.
This first book stats with Phil, his brother Brian, his living daughter and two high school friends. The plague has just driven them from their hometown to search for the safe z...more
James Volland
I'm a big fan of the walking dead Graphic novels, which I read via the deluxe issues that come out every so often. I'm now waiting for the new deluxe issue, and to pass some time and gather up some back story on one of the main characters I picked up the Rise of the Governor.

I must admit that I wasn't expecting much. I didn't like to think so, but in the back of my mind I was under the opinion that they printed this book in a "lets milk this puppy for all it's got" attitude. However, even if thi...more
Tim Lewis
Read the review on my blog: Tim's Book Reviews

Premise: Based on Robert Kirkman's comic books of the same name, The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor is set in time before The Walking Dead series on AMC, focusing on how the character of The Governor from the comics comes to power.

The novel follows Philip and Brian Blake, two brothers trying to survive in the midst of a strange outbreak of flesh-hungry undead, along with Philip’s young daughter Penny, and two of Philip’s friends. They move from p...more
Raquel Leite
Depois da Banda Desenhada e da série que recentemente estreou a sua terceira temporada, chega-nos o livro escrito pelo criados Robert Kirkman e o escritor de terror Jay Bonansinga. Com uma ideia incrivél que me deixou perdida na sua leitura.
Quem segue, a série ou a BD, sabe que o governador é um vilão repugnante e que dá vontade de o matar, e que há uma pergunta que ronda no ar. Como é que ele chegou a ser o governador?
Mas o chamado Governador, não é tão diferente dos restantes personagens como...more
Michelle
I picked this book up knowing almost nothing of the walking dead world, I've never read the graphic novels and had only seen a few episodes of the first season, but I was still intrigued by the story promised within the pages of this book. To find out how the dreaded governor came to be.

The book ultimately follows brothers Philip and Brian Blake, Philips young daughter Penny and their child hood friend Nick. Pretty much right from the beginning of the "turn over" you know that although Philip is...more
Gwyn
Jul 08, 2013 Gwyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gwyn by: Benny Raskin
I've read the comics, seen most of the TV series, and thought The Governor would be a great character for bit of backstory development. Moreover, I'm not afraid to be seen in public reading zombie fiction, so I should be the ideal demographic for this here tome. Well, to cut a long story short, I liked it. Eventually. Just.

The first two thirds could have been better summed up in one comic volume. The prose is painful, the descriptive sections oddly banal considering the circumstances, the choice...more
AudioBookReviewer
Now I seem to be a sucker for a good zombie book, and I like to think that I know good ones from bad. The Walking Dead: Rise of The Governor is a good one, I mean great one, possibly one of the best zombie stories I have ever listened to. Pure, unadulterated, original, breathtaking and enough surprises to keep you guessing. However I have never read any of the graphic novels, so if there was any tie in, I was clueless.

They story follows a ragtag bunch Nick, brothers Brain and Phillip and Phillip...more
Cassie-la
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://bibliomantics.com/2011/12/09/a......

I was a little wary to start this book. Comics and prose novels are such different mediums, and I was suspicious of the success of the idea. Although Bill Willingham’s Fables novel Peter and Max has amazing reviews to back it and the same can be said of Shawn Thorgersen’s rewrite of the American manga series Bizenghast with Bizenghast: the Novel. Sadly, the same cannot be said of this novel, which is pretty much one giant FAIL.

The story...more
Chris
Does The Rise of the Governor work as a standalone novel, if readers have not read or experienced any of The Walking Dead comic series? By and large, I would have to say yes it does. A prequel of sorts to the comic, giving broadening out and giving some depth to one of the comic's most sadistic villains, Rise is a so-so zombie novel.

The author(s) do a nice job of juggling the cast and the settings. The characters are a bit bland, but good work was done in fleshing out the Philip character; he d...more
amoyag
Edición en español.

No me gustan los zombies.

Es difícil mantener esta afirmación después de haber leído World War Z (muy recomendable), Apocalipsis Z y Los Caminantes; de haberme puesto al día con los cómics de The Walking Dead -93 números en unas tres semanas- y de engancharme a la serie de tv desde que comenzó. Pero es verdad, el género zombies me parece ridículo.
Pero es que The Walking Dead no va de zombies, bueno, hay zombies, muchos zombies. Además son lentos y torpes, no como los infectado...more
Melissa
Mihail Kostov
Това е предисторията на най-популярния злодей от комиксите и сериала по “The Walking Dead”. Губернаторът е най-популярен, защото феновете на сериала, които още не са чели комиксите, не знаят какво им предстои.
Книгата разказва за братята Филип и Брайън Блейк, дъщерята на Филип и двама негови приятели, които се опитват да оцелеят след зомби апокалипсиса (както започват историите на всички в този свят).
Лидер на групата е Филип, чиято житейска философия в Новия свят е: „Ако искаш да оцелееш в свят,...more
The Walking Dead: * The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor 3 8 Nov 17, 2013 09:31PM
Drinking Club Wit...: how about this for firat book? 3 9 Apr 07, 2013 03:06PM
Dad and his Weird...: "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor" 4 19 Oct 26, 2011 05:41AM
  • The Walking Dead Survivors' Guide
  • Siege  (As The World Dies, #3)
  • Autumn: Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
  • Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2)
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 1: London Calling
  • The Return Man
  • Domain of the Dead
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile
  • Thunder and Ashes
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly
  • The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology
Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer best known for his work on The Walking Dead, Invincible for Image Comics, as well as Ultimate X-Men and Marvel Zombies for Marvel Comics. He has also collaborated with Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane on the series Haunt. He is one of the five partners of Image Comics, and the only one of the five who was not one of the original co-founders of...more
More about Robert Kirkman...
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 The Walking Dead, Book One The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us

“Nick looks into Brians hollow gaze. "That's what's going on here brian. The devil's figured out a way to keep peoples souls trapped here on earth.” 1 likes