Start by marking “Der Alchimist” as Want to Read:
Der Alchimist

Der Alchimist

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,183,694 Ratings  ·  48,140 Reviews
Paulo Coelho's enchanting novel has inspired a devoted following around the world. This story, dazzling in its powerful simplicity and inspiring wisdom, is about an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself ...more
Published 2006 by Diogenes (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Der Alchimist, please sign up.

Huda Aweys It is not a new word, that Muslims have a verse in the Quran says that God created human to beings his successors in the land and make everything on…moreIt is not a new word, that Muslims have a verse in the Quran says that God created human to beings his successors in the land and make everything on the ground to obey us(less)
Le Petite Beauvoir I quote the intelligent philosopher Miley Cyrus, "ITS THE CLIMBBBBBB"

Dec 03, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people trying to find themselves
I feel like everyone LOVES this book, but I was kind of underwhelmed. I know that translation affects the quality of writing, but I could not get into this writing style. At all. I felt like it was totally affected and contrived. He was going for this "fable/parable" style, but it seemed to fail miserably. The parable-like quality was totally contrived, and I thought the "moral" was pretty stupid.

Moral: everything you want and need is close to home. Take chances. Follow your "personal legacy."

T
Christopher
I really disliked this book. I dislike it in the way that I dislike a great deal of modern self help books. Their basic message is that if you want something to happen, you need to want it as hard as you can, without caring about anything else, not allowing yourself to doubt it, or let criticisms will get in the way then it will happen.
I disagree with this notion, not only because it is false, but because it is bad.
Just because we desire something, does not make it good. This idea of 'following
Marte Patel
Feb 15, 2015 Marte Patel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, self-help
Utter drivel. The book was badly written, righteous, condescending, preachy, and worst of all, the ending was morally questionable. All the fables and stories are stolen from elsewhere, religious ideas and spirituality are badly mixed, and everything is so obvious.

The book harps on about tapping into the Soul of the World, the Language of the World, about your one true path and other nonsense. The basic idea is that if you really want something and "listen to your heart", the whole universe will
Clint
Apr 10, 2016 Clint rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate this book so much. I used to work at a hippie vegetarian restaurant where everyone raved about it, so I should have known what a disaster it would be. Writing in the style of a fable does not convince me that what the author says is true or profound, this just sucks all around, and people who describe it as magical or inspirational are probably dudes I will not be having a beer with anytime soon. This guy, he's probably going to get a Nobel one day, too.
Lujayn Alyamani
Apr 09, 2011 Lujayn Alyamani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: المتفلسفون ، والساخطون
Shelves: favorites
كلّ شيء مكتوب !

ما إن انتهيت من قراءة هذه الرواية حتى أحسستُ أن الدنيا سكتت ، و العالم سكت

و أنني أريدُ أن أسكتُ باقي عمري ..

أتأمل الحياة .. لعل روح العالم تغمرني فأفلسف الحياة كما شاء لي قلبي

مليئة هذه الرواية بالرموز و الحكم و التراث و الأخلاق بل وحتى الآيات الإسلامية

تحسّ و أنت تقرؤها برياح أندلسية تلفح فكرك ، تجعلكَ تبتسم بين حكمة و أخرى

ببساطة القدر ، و تعقيد البشر .. بعمق المعاني ، و سطحية الفهم

هذه الرواية تجسّد القدر و الحكمة في أسمى معانيها ، كما نؤمن بها تمامًا

أحببتُ حكمها جدًا " كيف يت
Lamski Kikita
May 07, 2012 Lamski Kikita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lamski Kikita by: a friend
"when you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

This book has crossed the boundaries of books, and has taken a life of its own, creating a movement all around the globe.

Santiago's journey and spiritual quest, the people he meets, the dreams he has, the omens he encounters, and the nature he speaks to, are all things that we can relate to..things that we've either forgotten about or simply dismissed as childhood fantasies. It is all about finding your Pe
asma Qadah
Mar 19, 2009 asma Qadah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
عرفته أوّل مرة من روايته إحدى عشر دقيقة.. كانت المرة الأولى التي أقرأ فيها قصة أو رواية مترجمة؛ نظراً لعدم وثوقي غالباً في الأدبيّات المترجمة فيما سبق..

أنهيت قبل أيام قراءة الخيميائي، شدّني الاسم؛ خاصة أنها في الانجليزية تسمى The Alchemist ولا أدري هل كانت الكيمياء فيما سبق تسمى خيمياء؟

تدور الرواية حول راعٍ أندلسي ترك مهنته ليحقق حلماً تكرر مرّتين، زار من بعدها غجرية أوّلت له حلمه ووثقت به حين لم تأخذ منه ثمن تأويل الحلم أو تفسيره إلا بعد تحقق تأويلها حيث عليه أن يسافر من (طيفا) الأندلس إلى الأه
Warwick
Aug 13, 2015 Warwick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, morocco, spain, egypt
The problem with this book is not just that it's bad, which it certainly is, but that there are so many people out there who want to corner you at parties and tell you how it's totally changed their lives. In a way you might as well read it just so you can see how feeble-minded they must be to get any kind of philosophical nourishment out of this inexhaustible stream of clichés. The profound lessons you'll learn from this book amount to nothing more than several variations on the theme of "only ...more
Sithara
Dec 22, 2007 Sithara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I need to start this review by stating 1) I can't stand self-help books and 2) I'm a feminist (no, I don't hate men- some men are quite awesome, but I am very conscious of women and our place in the world.)

Short summary (mild spoilers): A boy named Santiago follows his 'Personal Legend' in traveling from Spain to the Pyramids in Egypt searching for treasure. Along the way, he learns 'the Language of the World' the 'Soul of the World' and discovers that the 'Soul of God' is 'his own soul.'

If the
Bill  Kerwin
Jun 19, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

A good parable--like "The Prodigal Son"--should comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. The problem with this little book is that it does precisely the opposite.

The essence of Coelho's message--and, boy, is this a book with a message--is that each of us has his own Personal Legend, and that if we recognize that legend and pursue it sincerely, everything in the Universe (which is after all made up--wind, stone, trees--of the same stuff we are) will conspire to help us achieve it. Corol
Amanda
Apr 21, 2013 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
***spoilers and bitterness ahead--be forewarned**

I'm not sure that I can capture my utter disdain for this book in words, but I'll give it a shot. I read this book about three years ago and just had to re-read it for book club. It was a steaming pile of crap then and, guess what?, it's a steaming pile of crap now. The main reason I hate this book: it's trite inspirational literature dressed up as an adventure quest. You go into it thinking that it's going to be about a boy's quest for treasure.
Jennifer (aka EM)
Jun 16, 2010 Jennifer (aka EM) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE. Really, I did this so you don't have to.
Shelves: novellas
My heart and I chatted, and we agreed, this book was short. My heart thinks it was also stupid, and after spending some time talking to the wind, I came to agree with my heart.

Yet, after beginning the journey with this book and despite the words of my heart, something impelled me to continue. Surely it had something to teach me? The book had a lovely cover made of nicely textured stock that felt good in my hands. It offered the added efficiency of a fold-over flap--something that more publisher
Mohammed Arabey
Jul 12, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~~~ T h e ~ A l c h e m i s t ~~ الـخـيـــميائـــي ~~~

Some Drops of Love ~~~ قطرات من الحـــــب
A Bunch of Magic ~~~ حفنة من الســـحر
Cub of Philosophy ~~~ مقدار من الفلسفة
Scoop of Thriller ~~~ ربع مغرفه من الأثارة
Mix it all together in the Cauldron..

أخلطهم جميعا في
أحمد
Apr 23, 2015 أحمد rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية غيّرت روحي. جربت بعدها قراءة شيء آخر لباولو كويليو فتأكدت أن هذه الرواية هي الوحيدة تقريبا التي تستحق القراءة. أنصح بترجمة بهاء طاهر الصادرة عن دار الهلال بعنوان: ساحر الصحراء.

أحمد الديب
2007
Amit
Mar 17, 2014 Amit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amit by: i dont even know her name
There are too many things one can learn from “The Alchemist”. Its all about following your dream and about taking the risk of following your dreams, which is actually so difficult to do and there are very few people in this world who actually do, I mean risk it all, just to follow your heart and your dream. Beauty is, the author is so right in saying that when u decide to follow your dreams the entire universe conspires in your favour which he called as the “beginners luck” and we all have been ...more
Kali
Apr 05, 2007 Kali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone (save one guy) said I would love this book. Three of my four roommates have their own copies. That one guy was right. Now this may be because he planted that seed of discontent, or it may be because this was the least creative and most redundant book I've read in a while. It answered the question, what happens when you put The Hero With a Thousand Faces, The Bible and 1001 Arabian Nights in a blender? That said, I didn't hate it. Two of the central themes (which were hammered in over an ...more
Patrick
Sep 09, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patrick by: Sarah Otto
Timing is everything. If I'd read 'The Alchemist' four years ago, I'm sure I would have loved it. It deals in big, bold pronouncements of 'follow your dreams' et cetera et cetera, and it certainly makes you think about your own life and the pursuit of your own "Personal Legend" if you will. But maybe I'm older and more cynical now, or maybe it's not cynicism so much as just seeing a reality that isn't so mystical and black and white as Paulo Coelho's, but in any event, I just wasn't buying what ...more
Saud Omar
Jun 24, 2015 Saud Omar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
تنبيه :في مراجعة الرواية هذه لا يوجد حرق للرواية. في هذه المراجعة يتم استعراض عقدة الرواية الأساسية. كل ما كٌتب هنا بدا لي أنه سوف يجعلك تقرأ الرواية بشكل أفضل. هذه المراجعة كٌتبت خصيصاً لأولئك الذين لم يقرءوا الرواية بعد.

***
من مدونتي: ثمانون كتابا بحثا عن مخرج

***

“الخيميائي” رواية عن راعي أندلسي يسافر طلباً لكنز مدفون في مكان قريب من الأهرامات الفرعونية. يقابل الراعي العديد من الأشخاص الذين يساعدونه, أو يلهمونه, أو يقفون ضده, في طريقه للكنز. ويواجه الراعي أيضاً الكث
Sanjay Gautam
The book is full of messages and symbolizes our life actions interwoven in a very complex yet in elementary patterns which can be deciphered if one persists and have longing in his heart. It is not just following the heart blindly; but never ignoring what it says. Its important message is to keep accord with your heart no matter where it takes you. Because the treasure is where there is heart.

Now, that was the gist of the book. But my reading experience with this book was horrible and most impo
Don
Dec 26, 2007 Don rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I simply could not finish this book. I got halfway through it only to wind up on goodreads.com to see what others thought. I simply felt guilty panning a book that has received such global acclaim; more than that, I felt lame and inadequate.

Well, it turns out that my sentiments were echoed. I basically felt I was reading an overblown parable and that the same lessons were being spelled out again and again. It was like the 16th verse of a hymn.

Throughout my life I have periodically reflected to
Ahmed
Jan 28, 2016 Ahmed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
عندما تسمع عن روايه ترجمت لاكثر من 60 لغه وبيع منها اكثر من 70 مليون
نسخه
ينسج خيالك عليها انها روايه عظيمه وتتوقع منها اشياء مهمه
هذا العمل يقبع فى مكتبتى منذ اكثر من عام ولا ادرى ما سبب اهمالها كل هذا الوقت ولا ادرى سبب معين لقرائتى لها
ولكن المهم انى قرأتها : احسست بضحاله شديده وانا اقرأها وجدتها سطحيه ومبتذله
لا ادرى هل رأيت انها مبالغ فى قيمتها الادبيه ام ان المشكله توجد فى انها خذلت طموحى الشخصى فى فحواها
لا ادرى . حقا لا ادرى
اهو مبالغه شديده من الكاتب لكى يوهم القارئ بانه جاء مخلصا له وناصح
Jibran
Jun 23, 2016 Jibran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If books were pills, Alchemist would be a sugarcoated placebo with no real effect. Say, a feel-good homily. I have never read a book as meretricious as this one. Many a reviewer has pointed out the problems with this 'celebrated' novel so I need not expend many words. Suffice it so say that this is a good example of portentous writing you will do well to avoid if your benchmark is quality literature.
Huda Yahya

Nandakishore Varma
SUCKS.
Zaki
Feb 15, 2015 Zaki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A spanish shepherd boy santiago has these recurring dreams about a treasure hidden at the foot of the egyptian pyramids. He leaves Spain to find it and journeys to the markets of Tangiers and across the Egyptian desert, guided along the way by a camel driver, an alchemist and other spiritual guides. and he discovers a far greater treasure (greater than any earthly gold): wisdom, self knowledge and enlightenment.

Though the Alchemist is not about Santiago at all. It's an inspirational fable; it's
Andrew
Mar 22, 2007 Andrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the desperate
The Alchemist has been translated into like a million languages, and it feels like it. Bland sentences, simple story telling and zero nuance. It's a quaint parable about a shepherd who bucks the current course of his life - shepherding - to go in search of his Personal Legend (Coehlo's caps, and phrase). Coehlo's got a point, and he's going to drive it through your eyeball until he's absolutely sure you've got it.

If you ignore much of the language of the book, this is a paper-thin rehashing of R
Joyzi
Nov 12, 2011 Joyzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Joyzi by: My friends
SPOILER ALERT!

This book is very inspiring and what I really need right now to motivate myself with my everyday endeavors. In the end the boy in the story who was searching for his treasure, despite the long travels and experiences, find his treasure not in the place where he suspected it to be, but in the place where he came from. It's just pretty ironic that what have you looking for is in the end is just beside you right from the beginning. It's just that what he learned and discovered from hi
إسراء البنا

البحث عن الاسطورة الذاتية .. ان الانسان يفضل مؤمن باحلامه و اهدافه مهما حصل و طول الطريق هيلاقي علمات و اشارات

لازم الثقة في النفس البشرية انها لازم توصل

الحب مش في كل الاحوال "بيعطل الانسان عن احلامه و اهدافه " زي شخصية فاطمة في الرواية

انها انتظرته و كانت مؤمنه هي كمان باحلامه و اهدافه و مؤمنة اكتر انه لازم يوصل و يحققها
و الثقة الاكبر انها هيرجعلها مهما انتظرته

الرواية متشبعة بكم رائع من الحكم و المقولات الحكيمة

و ترجمة بهاء طاهر لم تفسد الرواية بل على العكس رائعة

انصح بقرائتها ^_^
Riku Sayuj

I, Hegel

I, Hegel, wrote an essay today
Comparing Jesus
And his disciples,
With Socrates,
And his.
Jesus emerges from my comparison
As decidedly the inferior teacher
Of ethics.
What does that say
About my Religion?

I, Hegel, had a dream today
In which Napoleon
Was offered
One of two paths
In a cold subterranean dungeon:
One of which led to untold riches
And the other to a lost work of Aristotle.
He took the first
Without hesitation.
What does that say
About my Hero?

I, Hegel, went on a walk today
When I heard
Two v
Jonathan
Feb 06, 2013 Jonathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

I seem to be asked regularly why I give this little novel such a low rating. So here is my answer:

The major reason is that I don't care for pseudo-spiritual help books, particularly when wrapped up in layers of ideology I disagree with. Those kinds of novels have stories which exist to keep the ideology alive rather than having the story as the primary focus. I prefer to read a novel where the story is the key factor and where any ideology exists secondary or as part of the story rather than the
Around the Year i...: The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho 23 81 Jul 09, 2016 03:43PM
Around the Year i...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho 2 19 Jul 08, 2016 10:12AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change book description 5 17 Jun 23, 2016 09:32AM