Praetorian (Eagle, #11)

Praetorian (Eagle #11)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  883 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Macro and Cato now find themselves members of the elite Praetorian Guard, charged with defending the emperor himself against harm. Yet, they rapidly find that the Guard is riddled with conspiracies aimed at bringing the ageing emperor Claudius down, and raising either of his two sons, one by birth, Britannicus, the other by adoption, Nero, to the purple. Needless to say, t...more
Published November 10th 2011 by Headline (first published 2011)

Gates of Fire by Steven PressfieldThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGenghis by Conn IgguldenUnder the Eagle by Simon ScarrowHeart of Oak by David        Cook
Historical Military Fiction
25th out of 71 books — 27 voters
The Only Good Roman by Christine Elaine BlackImperium by Robert HarrisRoma by Steven SaylorThe First Man in Rome by Colleen McCulloughI, Claudius by Robert Graves
Ancient Rome - The Best And The Rest
162nd out of 191 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin Carter
Praetorian: Book 11 of the Macro & Cato series, always a winner, i think the only time i have struggled with one of these books was gladiator and that was just the one character in the book.

Legion saw a return to old school Macro and Cato and Simons best work, so would Praetorian keep up that momentum?

Yes and No: No because the book is different, the style not what you normally expect from Macro and Cato, more mature almost (the characters), with more intrigue and danger around every corner,...more
Nathan Trachta
Mr. Scarrow's books of Macro and Cato have been a love of mine for a while now; currently my favorite historical fiction series overall (I'm sorry Mr. Sharpe). The character development and stories have been interesting. I've also enjoyed seeing young Cato mature (though slightly disappointed that Mr. Scarrow hasn't paid the same attention to Macro).
Praetorian has Cato and Macro now in the Praetorian Guard, working for Narcissus to expose a plot against the Emperor. Rather than being a nice simp...more
Jonathan Tomes
Just finished the 11th book in Simon Scarrow’s Eagle series detailing the lives of two Roman soldiers, Macro and Cato. In the first book, Under the Eagle, Marco was a Centurion and Cato a new Optio (similar to a second lieutenant in today’s Army) that was to be his second-in-command. Now, in The Praetorian, after a series of adventures in Gaul, Britain, Israel, and Egypt in the preceding novels, Cato has advanced in rank to outrank his former boss. They have become useful to Narcissus, a freed s...more
João
Fantástico. Intriga, conspiração.. o 11º volume da saga da Águia não desilude. Depois das grandes batalhas em Creta, Síria e Egipto, foi bom ter agora um capítulo num ambiente mais urbano, no coração de Roma. É um livro que "desromantiza" a Guarda Pretoriana, revelando um mundo onde apenas os interesses pessoais imperam e não o bem comum. É um livro onde a acção fervilha em cada página, revelando-se difícil de largar. Apesar de ser o 11º livro da saga, não existe grande necessidade de ler os res...more
Simon Williams
Another brilliant instalment and I thoroughly enjoyed every page (screen really as I read it on my kindle and phone). A different setting to the other books but there is still the recurring theme in that they end up to their necks in sewage at some point. Can't wait for the next book.
Todd
This was a bit of a departure from Scarrow's usual writing since it revolved around Roman politics and the role of the Praetorian guard. Overall I enjoyed reading this book. Although, the series does seem to be dragging out a little.
D.w.
This is still a great series. In the back notes, Simon, the author talks of returning to two old friends, and that is how the series is now.

Macro has softened a bit, though still rough and tumble and a better fighter than Cato. Cato is still the brains that keeps Macro away from the trouble he is prone to get into.

Here is the closest we have been to the Imperial Purple, Claudius, who is near the end of his tenure. And we see the seedy underside of politics as all prepare for what is to come wh...more
Paul
John Salter
Praetorian sees a departure from the usual legionary capers for Macro and Cato as the two intrepid heroes return to Rome to work undercover as members of the Praetorian guard as they try to uncover a plot to undermine the Emperor, Claudius and bring his reign to an end.

Being a big fan of all Mr Scarrow's books, I was really looking to this story especially as it was going to be different. Although enjoyable, the pace of the storyline was a lot slower than usual and I thought there was less humou...more
Justin Tonna
I like Simon Scarrow. His books are an easy read, mixing a little bit of history with some great action.

It's not a literary prize winner - but then it doesn't pretend to be.

What I liked about Praetorian is the back and forth of the two main characters (Macro and Cato). There is a chemistry there that jumps off the page. It makes them feel real. Scarrow himself says that they have taken on a life of their own and write themselves.

Also, the book has some interesting plot twists - and does keep...more
Colin
For me this was the best of the whole series so far. Scarrow is writing in a different style here as it ends up in a more political conspiracy thriller area, with the solving of the mystery putting this one a lot closer to the likes of Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series.

Due to this it feels much more mature and takes the story of Cato and Macro up a notch. Especially as opposed to the previous The Legion where it almost felt like a teen book in places. Nonetheless Scarrow has somehow cunningly...more
John Mccormick
Not the usual story featuring our heroes Cato and Macro, as they go undercover in the Praetorian Guard, more intrigue less, no make that no full scale battle scenes that Scarrow is so good at.
Never the less still a very enjoyable read and the sights and sounds and smells of ancient Rome are brought to life.
Rithun Regi
The story of Macro and Cato is set in the context of Rome in her glory days. There are many relevant themes highlighted such as the blessing of a true friendship in the snake pit where all the snakes are vying for in the dangerous game of politics. The story shows that Rome which is built on the ideal of freedom loses its true ideals when tyranny of the Caesars reign. The book shows that true friendship gives you a purpose in life and success gained through hard work is more enjoyable than succe...more
Soteris
Cato and Macro return to Rome in this book and as the title suggests, they are pushed into the ranks of the Praetorian guard to help uncover a plot aimed at taking down the Emperor. As usual, Simon Scarrow delivers with a great story that engages the reader straight from the first chapter. Macro and Cato will continue to be my most favourite ever Roman Legionaries and I hope he never stops writing about these two me. Those that know the series will not be disappointed, those that do not, get inv...more
William Bates
great book , latest instalment of macro and Cato in which they join the praetorians as rankers to spy for the imperial agent narcissus
Luka Novak
Eagle series can be divided into two sets. One has our heroes involved in fighting, other in covert work. This book falls into latter category.

Cato and Macro have to go undercover in Praetorian Guard to uncover plot to assassinate eperor Claudius, guided by ever present Narcissus. For our heroes this is somehat of a shock as they are used to their rank but now assume identities of ordinary legionaires.

In the process they meet several people who will shape Roman empire later, such as Nero.

While b...more
Ross
Up to this book I have had very good luck with the new GR Recommendation feature. Therefore I willingly paid $20 to get this work. Within a few pages I could see my mistake. This book about soldiers in ancient Rome has everyone talking in dialog appropriate for British teenagers. Then I realized that must be the author's target audience. Because of the $20, since I am a cheapskate, I continued on. At about 1/8th of the way through I decided I would be happy to pay $20 not to have to read any mor...more
Guy
Initially I found it did not engage like the others. As it went on I did become more engaged but it was simply not the Cato and Macro I have come to love.

I also felt that the story and the the characters were more prominent than the period. The feel for Rome was not quite there. Simon Scarrow is more at home for me in the ranks of the Roman Army and not playing James Bond in Claudian Rome.

However, I love the series and I expect my feelings are personal on this one. Get'em back with the cohorts S...more
David
The newest entry (and book # 11) in Simon Scarrow's Cato and Macro series which, in a change from setting, sees the two characters back in Rome proper and getting embroiled in the politics of Rome (undercover in the Praetorian Guard) rather than in the battles with the Legions.

I found this particular novel to be a return to form after the last couple of books - while they were enjoyable, they were in danger of becoming a bit 'samey'. Further prrof that a change is as good as a rest!
Lisa
Much to their dismay, Macro and Cato are sent undercover to ferret out a plot to kill the Emperor. They pose as Praetorian guardsmen (rankers, not officers)while they try to figure out who is betraying who and what has happened to all the grain. No frontier battles, but don't worry, they still get their share of fighting, and of course they do figure it all out in the end, save the Emperor's life (not once but several times) and happily head back to real soldiering...
Philip
Simon Scarrow - Praetorian
A cracking read set around the Mediterranean coast, you do get the idea that Simon is now branching out his holidays to where his next book is set, or the other way round, in the same way that you did when Cornwell randomly sets a book in Venezuela. But a return to form, my though is that now he has finished the epic Napoleon chronicles he is returning to focus on the romans that made him successful. 4/5
Peter
Another good book in the Cato/Macro series but lacking somewhat in action, when compared to others in the series. The balance seems more political and with Cato, just slightly off of the usual equilibrium of intrigue/action Cato/Macro. However Maybe this is the progress of change started a few novels back, either way an enjoyable and welcome addition to the bookshelf.
Winnie
Simon Scarrow is currently my all-time favourite author mainly because I instantly fell in love with Macro and Cato in Under the Eagle. These books cover a period with which I am very familiar having studied classics and ancient history at uni and I found his novels well researched and well written and eminently believable. Just hope that there is lots more to come.
Michael
Another highly enjoyable Cato and Macro novel, this time focusing on rome and the political conspiracies to overthrow Claudius. I didn't enjoy it as much as Centurion or The Legion, and I think these type of novels are more suited to Roman soldiering action in the field, nonetheless it was still a fast paced, action packed read well worth your money.
Troy
Cato and Macro are at their best in this ripping yarn. They join the praetorian guard to try to uncover a plot to kill the emperor Claudius. There are some close shaves and the pair literally end up in the shit up to their ears but these blokes are survivors. Scarrow has a great feel for ancient Rome and his characters are developing nicely.
Ali Jarman
Fairly standard murder mystery fare set in Imperial Rome. Characters 2 dimensional, and some unbelievable instances. As I have a huge interest in the Roman period, and like a sense of humour in my reading, I was rather disappointed, but hey, it's an easy read for when I don't feel like anything unchallenging.
Rick Brindle
The only book I've read so far in the series. Readable, but maybe it was handicapped as I'd read Conn Iggulden's Emperor series first. Praetorian didn't quite compare to the breadth of that series, but still worth chucking into the suitcase for a holiday read that you don't need to think too much about.
John
Yet again Simon Scarrow produces a classy exciting read that sees our two hereos battle a conspiracy against the empire. Fast and pacey story that takes you to Rome and life in The Praetorian Guard.

This particular ending should see our two soldiers back to doing proper soldering in the next book.
Brian
I am completely bummed out that I have caught up with the end of the series - or at least for the moment it is the end... Mr Scarrow had better be working on the next one!

This turned out to be one of my all-time favorites series and I highly recommend it to all readers of historical fiction.
Armando Rodrigues
Os livros anteriores da série habituaram-me a uma qualidade superior. Detetei pequenas lacunas nesta obra. Aparentemente, o tema e as personagens já estão demasiado exploradas.
Lamentavelmente, a tradução também tem pequenas falhas.
Ainda assim, é uma boa obra e vale a pena ler.
  • Fortress of Spears (Empire, #3)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • Hannibal: Enemy of Rome (Hannibal, #1)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • Marius' Mules: The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • Tyrant: Storm of Arrows (Tyrant, #2)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen...more
More about Simon Scarrow...
Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1) When the Eagle Hunts (Eagle, #3) The Eagle's Conquest (Eagle, #2) The Eagle and the Wolves (Eagle, #4) Centurion (Eagle, #8)