Start by marking “The Annotated Sandman, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Annotated Sandman, Vol. 1

The Annotated Sandman, Vol. 1 (The Sandman Annotated 1)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Meet the Endless, a family of immortals that govern all aspects of life and death throughout the universe. However, one of theirown lays captured--Dream, the Lord of Sleep. As Dream makes his escape and returns to his duties after 70 years of imprison-ment, he encounters countless characters from myth, legend and comics, from Lucifer himself to t
Published January 10th 2012 by Vertigo (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Annotated Sandman, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Annotated Sandman, Vol. 1

Angela
There are things I absolutely love about The Annotated Sandman , and things I am enormously disappointed with.

I am hugely disappointed with the lack of commentary on most pages, especially as this was sold as Gaiman's way of jotting down his reasons for writing The Sandman, and his driving inspirations for the stories. Given what a landmark series The Sandman was and what an influence it continues to be, I expected more profound notes than the history of British rock bands or song lyrics to show
Rick
When Sandman, written by the then-unknown Gaiman with images by Sam Keith and Mike Dringenberg, launched in January 1989, very few comics required annotations. Gaiman, much like his mentor Alan Moore, littered the series with obscure reference and marginalia. The DC title proved to be one of the most popular and endearing of the 90s, running 75 issues and spawning several spin-off series. Eventually Sandman garnered three deserved Eisners and is the only comic book to win a World Fantasy Award. ...more
Paul Bonamy
This is an excellent collection, presenting all sorts of tidbits about the history of the Sandman, and, more interesting in my mind, clues about many of the allusions built into the series. There are also little asides dealing with inspiration for the art, or other little details. For example, in Issue 13 - Men of Good Fortune - the exchanges between Shakespeare, Marlowe, and the Sandman are all in Iambic Pentameter. There's plenty here to fascinate the fan of the Sandman.

The first volume provid
Dave Logghe
I'd been wanting to get into Gaiman's Sandman for quite a while so I was really excited to see that the university library had a copy of the annotated volume 1 (Issues 1-20). The annotations were really helpful in keeping me from getting lost. Gaiman draws from so many different sources of inspiration that without this little road map, I don't know that I would have felt the full effect of the writing. I really loved the first 16 or so issues, the continuing stories were really interesting and t ...more
Alexandra Flores
I love that this is printed in black and white. I've never read it in its original form, but I looked some of the issues up online and I feel pretty comfortable saying I prefer it this way. The line art is a little busier (not the technical term, I'm sure) than I normally like, but I think it suits the atmosphere of the comic--though I will say that sometimes the more detailed backgrounds blend together and can be unintelligible, and I suspect that coloring would fix some of that.

The story itsel
Serge Pierro
As great as it was to read these stories once again, I couldn't help but think that this could have been an even better book! The annotations seemed to be sparse throughout, and it should come as no surprise that the best background information was provided by Gaiman himself. It seemed that too much attention was paid to the biographical material of "minor" historical characters mentioned throughout the book. Although interesting, it was not what I was hoping for. (More Gaiman insight wanted!!) ...more
josh
Zomfg! I read the first issue and was kind of confused at how fast it blew through nearly 70yrs and tried to keep tabs on all the new characters / how their stories were woven together. The second issue was a little more of the same, but started to come together for me. By the time I was at the end of the 4th issue I was really getting into it. I fell hopelessly and utterly in love with Death when we met her in issue 8 - and knew that I need to read her mini-series. The story of the Vortex was f ...more
Randall
Essentially, graphic novels/comic books are somewhat lost on me. I am awful at slowing to appreciate the artwork and its contribution to the story.

I'd long been curious about Gaiman's Sandman due to it having long been lauded as an exemplary piece of the art form.

I don't get it.

"It" not being whether Sandman is a major milestone in its genre's lifespan, rather the entire endeavor altogether. I kept getting the idea in my head that were this same story being related in the form of a novel, I'd
Niklas Pivic
This is a black-and-white first volume of the first 20 issues of "The Sandman", an epic series written by Neil Gaiman.

Leslie S. Klinger has annotated this volume, and will annotate the rest as well. The annotations range from historical - e.g. information on William Shakespeare's name and the versions of it - to clerical, the arcane but foremost the explanative, i.e. sorting out everything that surrounds The Sandman canon, i.e. the characters, the places and places.

My first edition actually cont
Amy Keeley
This series showed me I'm too used to comics/manga with long arcs.

The world is beautiful. I'm too used to the simple, amazing elegance and motion of manga drawing, so I feel I can't comment on the art. There were some memorable panels, and some beautiful designs, but most of it just didn't grab me, I'm afraid. That said, the concepts themselves are amazing, both strange and compelling. Dream's portrayal is amazing and watching him deal with various issues in his kingdom was always a joy.

However
Joshua
The story is brilliantly written and I love Gaiman's constant tie ins and references with DC, classic literature, etc..
The annotations on the other hand were rather disappointing. They helped to fill in some gaps and references, but they were rather thin and many of them seemed unnecessary or not interesting.
Kitty Landers
It was everything I expected from Neil Gaiman and more! I usually don't like comics, but this was fantastic! Highly recommend it to anyone looking to dip in to the world of comics.
Cale
I've been slowly going through this for about a month. It includes the first 20 issues of Sandman (good), in black and white (not so good). The annotations are occasionally insightful, but they're fairly sparse (several issues have less than a dozen, and half of those are notations as to where ads were in the original publication), and some are pointless (who cares if a similar phrase was used as the title of a song 13 years AFTER the book was published? was it inspired by Sandman? No? then not ...more
tequila Corbly
Beautiful story, the artwork is amazing. I have the second volume as well, and I have plans to save up for the third.
Lindz
Love the Sandman, was thoroughly disappointed by this book. Page after page without any annotations, and the annotations that are in there are repetitive and uninteresting, while parts that I would be interested in aren't included. Why would you include a note for every part of the story that is followed by an ad page, but not comment on things like who the issue was dedicated to and why, and other bits that can't be found out by googling?

Not to mention - I realize this was a big book, but there
Travis Ferrell
Wonderfully enchanting. This has been my first graphic novel, and in truth I was intrigued because my sweetheart loves Gaiman, but also because this edition is annotated. The idea never occurred to me. These stories are inventive and complex. For relative newbies like me (I had thumbed through an old roommate's copy of the first story arc) to old fans, this should be a joy. The black and white illustrations make the stories more dream like than color versions I've seen, and Gaiman's original not ...more
Tim
Gaiman changed what comic books could be with this series. Not for the young ones, but not to be missed, either.
Tony Laplume
Neil Gaiman's Sandman speaks for itself. Leslie Klinger's notes provide a great deal of insight into the whole process of reading it, whether he's explaining references or providing us glimpses into Gaiman's original scripts, which apparently always included plenty of commentary from the creator himself. Well worth your time.
Lonnie
This is actually the first time I've read Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and this beautifully produced annotated edition enhanced the experience superbly and was a fine introduction to the Sandman mythos.

While the black & white art did not detract from the book, I would have liked to experienced the original color artwork.
Brian Valeria
[I made the comment earlier today: #21-#28 or so (Lucifer quitting hell) is still my favorite Sandman story line, but this book has already reminded me that #19 ("A Midsummer Night's Dream") was my first and favorite issue of the series!]
Richard Anderson
Not much into Comics, but I tried this as a way into Gaiman, and found it for the most part quite interesting. The graphics are varied and expressive, and Gaiman has respect for many older authors such as M R James and G K Chesterton.
Violet
I absolutely adored this. I've been a fan of Sandman for years and this was very informative. It had been awhile since I read Dream Country and I fell in love with it all over again. I highly recommend this for all Sandman fans.
Sierra
Wow, the ending was intense. I definitely loved the stories with Death. Especially #8. I really like the concept of Dream being a physical being. And that his name is Morpheus. These stories remind me of Dreamfall.
Erin
This is one of those beautiful experiences, when the book turns out to be everything it has been hyped up to be.
Joy
There are a couple of references that could have been added to Dream of a Thousand Cats, which was included without much in the way of annotation, but other than that this is really quite brilliant.
Gaildb
Read the into -a fascinating summary of the history of comics books/graphic art. Read the first chapter. The fear I felt looking at the graphics hindered getting to the words.
Streator Johnson
Not bad, but WAY darker than I expected. Not that I knew what to expect in the first place. But I think it will be a while before I read the next set.
Philip
Apr 03, 2012 Philip rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Interesting, but the annotations, especially the ones detailing trivia from comic books feel incomplete, and in a couple of places, are just plain wrong.
Ryan
I love Sandman anyway, but this edition explains some of Gaiman's obscure references in the multi-layered epic.
Raven
The annotations are thorough and well researched. The annotations bring a new dimension to a well-loved series.
  • Lucifer, Book Two (Lucifer, #2)
  • Wednesday Comics
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 4: The Family Man (Hellblazer New Edition, #4)
  • Taller Tales
  • Vampires: Encounters With the Undead
  • The Books of Faerie: Auberon's Tale
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec: The Mad Scientist / Mummies on Parade
  • Grendel Omnibus, Vol. 1: Hunter Rose
  • The Dead Boy Detectives
  • Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner
  • Heroes: Volume Two
  • The Art of Neil Gaiman: The Visual Story of One of the World's Most Vital Creative Forces
  • The Invisibles
  • The Great Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere Stardust