Start by marking “Initiation (Bonfire Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Initiation  (Bonfire Academy, #1)

Initiation (Bonfire Academy #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,189 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Welcome to Bonfire Academy! Set in the foothills of the alpine mountains in St.Moritz, this exclusive private school caters to a special kind of student. Enter at your own risk... but if you are human, you may not want to enter at all. WARNING: This YA story is set in a school for paranormals who are very different from normal human teens. Thus, the language and some scene ...more
Published December 25th 2011 by Imogen Rose (first published November 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Initiation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Initiation

The Host by Stephenie MeyerFirelight by Sophie JordanDeadly Cool by Gemma HallidayNightshade by Andrea CremerVanish by Sophie Jordan
best "eye" on the cover
107th out of 658 books — 1,523 voters
The Whip by Karen KondazianFrostbite by Richelle MeadMarked by P.C. CastCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Books that should be made into a movie/tv show
140th out of 978 books — 1,154 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
Note: As this is a DNF, I'm not writing a detailed review, just stating why I didn't like it. For the same reason, this review will not appear on my blog.
This was not what I was expecting. I was sure I would like it as I love books with boarding school settings and it sounded very intriguing. But I just wasn't interested in the characters, nor the plot.

I found the dialogue very hard to believe. The way The protagonist speaks is sometimes too formal, as well as always stating the obvious as if
Misty Baker
I have this little black book I carry everywhere in my purse, it’s small, tattered and to most people looks like it is filled with junk, but to me it’s important. See…a few years ago (ok…like 15) when I wrote my first book I strived to be just like everyone else. I thought conformity is what the world wanted, (an a-typical 3 part story with exactly 2 upsets and 1 very dramatic ending.) Then one day when I was curled up in a chair in the library I spotted (laying on the floor in a corner) this be ...more
Tana
First I have to say I absolutely loved this book, Imogen Rose is a fantastic author, the storyline and character descriptions were well written and she gave you enough information to get to know each of them, and fall in love with a few. Initiation was one of those novels you don’t put down and I definitely will be following this series.

Welcome to Bonfire Academy a school for supernatural’s...we first meet Cordelia who has decided to stay for a third year at Bonfire Academy so she could build u
Christy (Christy's Book Addiction)
Cordelia is a demon princess who is starting her third and final year at a private school for paranormals; The Bonfire Academy. Cordelia is expecting her last year to be easy with nothing to do except concentrating on Tennis and her boyfriend, Quinn, but the Student Council President has other ideas for her.

Cordelia is asked to mentor a half-human/half-demon twelve year old girl named Faustine, who is also a demon princess. After being attacked, Cordelia quickly realizes that her last year at t
Jenna
When I finished reading Initiation, the first realization I had of the novel is that it resembles Harry Potter in a lot of ways. It’s not the same as the epic HP series, but Initiation is a good novel in a very different way.

I can confidently say that the story’s original. There wasn’t a clear plot in the first place, it was until later on that I realized that the first plot was the real thing already. I hated this part of the novel. I will tell you why, I didn’t actually know what to expect in
Becca
Originally posted at OMFG!Books

The cover was the first thing that got me. I know, I know, don't judge a book by it's cover but sometimes it's really hard not to! The striking eye and the half face close up really suckered me in. I jumped at the chance to be able to review Initiation.

I was completely unaware that this was actually a prequel series to Imogen's first series - The Bonfire Chronicles - which apparently centers around Faustine, the demon-human hybrid that the main character in Initiat
Lady Entropy
This book is, alas, a mess. The plot is nonsensical, the setting is even worse (I'm trying to figure out how parents send their children to an academy where the student council holds "hearings" on their colleagues to determine their culpability after said colleagues attacked and tried to kill the hero), the mythos is... different but not in a good sense, and the romance was contrived at best.

I didn't like the heroine enough to care, I didn't enjoy her romantic double standards, and her attempts
Marie
I don't about you guys but I am harbouring some SERIOUS LOVE for that cover!!!

.. Anyways, this book was just excilarating!
It was cool to see all these paranormals all in one book- witches, demons, vamps, shifters, wanderers and fay.. All of them!

I really liked the concept of synching however I must admit I didn't like how popular Faustine was when Cordelia was also a princess and daughter of the demon king of Paris. She didn't seem to get enough credit to me.

I love Jagger, Quinn, Jewel and Si
   ♔Queenie♔
What did I think do you ask?

I'm not going to go so far as to say this book was a terrible monstrosity; because unfortunately I have read a lot worse. But I could not finish this book. I can't even be subtle about this I just hated it.

By the way SPOILERS but to be honest there isn't much to spoil don't waste your time attempting to read this book (anybody who read it in it's entirety I tip my hat to you, as much as it is possible to tip a beanie anyway).

From the beginning I was already confused.
Laura Hartley
Firstly, I absolutely love the cover. The piercing red eye is just so gorgeous and I can't seem to draw my eyes away from it!

I was completely hooked from the moment I read the very first page of Initiation. This is such a compelling and interesting read that it was simply impossible to put down once I'd started.

I loved how this was a really easy book to read. The words simply flowed off the page and it required very little effort to read this book. It's the sort of book that you fly through in a
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I don't read a lot of Young Adult books anymore but I made the right choice when I agreed to review Initiation. One of the things that attracted me the most about this novel was Imogen's PG-16 attitude towards sex and violence; the warning on the cover is justified! Granted, this story has nothing on most Paranormal Romance books but it definitely stands out in the sea of YA fiction That, and the cover is absolutely stunning! I'd even go so far as to say that Bonfire Acad
Shy The WidowMaker
At first glance at the new cover for this book I was drawn in. The cover is just delightful.Initiation is a book about Bonfire Academy a school for aparanormals to learn about their abilities and hope to cope with them. The descritptions used to describe the school are so vivid they paint such a lovely visual for readers. The school sounds so enchanting and like such a beautiful place. We start off by meeting Cordelia who is a demon princess.Cordelia sucked me in right away because she is fearle ...more
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)
This is another book that I simply could not put down. Oh and there is even a sort of love triangle, but I totally did not care!lol. That is unusual for me. If you love the sort of boarding school paranormal books you are in for a treat.

When we first met Cordelia I just was not sure if I was going to like her. But after a few pages I decided I really did. Once she has to mentor the young half demon half human girl she showed me a totally different person. She took her mentor duty seriously and e
Candy
Let me lay it out for you. This is a five star book. Period. Heck, I think nearly all of Imogen Rose's books are five stars in my eyes so far. It's kind of crazy. Did the author make a deal with the devil or something to get this level of pure talent or what? Or maybe one of these demons from this book? Hmmm...

So. I'm conflicted, confounded, confused... I'm something... about this book. I really liked Faustine, the first "book" in the series. I'll admit when I got this request for review (and th
Liz at Fictional Candy
As a book blogger I have a very hectic “book life”. My “To Be Read” pile is enormous. I wanted in this tour as soon as I saw it on the Bewitching Blog Tours site. Then I got the book, and paid it no mind until it was time to read. Then I opened it up on my kindle. Over 400 pages! My first thought was “oh no, what have I got myself into???” Seriously, I was worried.

And that was the most useless thought I’ve had in a very long time because – no joke – this book had me hooked from the very first pa
Rachel
Cordelia Hammer thought she was returning to Bonfire Academy for a year of improving her tennis game and spending time with her boyfriend Quinn. She chose to go back because she thought it would be easy, fun and relaxing.

She already learned everything the school had to teach her. She had the three rules of Bonfire Academy down cold. She knew how to control her abilities. And she knew just who to avoid.

But when she was ordered into Frau Schmelder’s office on her very first day and was told she wa
Melissa McCormick
Great read

I really enjoyed this book because it never really slowed down but just kept getting better. The characters each have their own voice, it's not just about one specific person. there is, of course, several characters who stand out. I rated it a 5 because it kept me hooked with the story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading books with paranormal characters.
Barbulescu Diana
Yep, another YA with paranormals, but the series had great reviews on Amazon so I bought Initiation, Intergation, Faustine and Uprising and planned to read them in the order (order of events, not order of their creation).
I wasn't dissapointed. What I like the most about this book is how it brings new elements to the already-saturated paranormal universe. You have demons eating steak, and demons being pitties against shifters, and demons having sensitive noses...? and wearing Channel. Yeah.
This b
Kristina
I did like this book. However I did not love it. I always love books that have to do with schools for paranormal kids. Let's face it how many people secretly wish they could attend Hogwarts!! Haha anyways this school was bonfire academy and I love that is was for demons, vamps and shifters. Also I loved that demonic royalty was a big part of this book. All that aside the thing that really turned me off from this book was the love triangle. I seriously hated that the main character never chose be ...more
Jennifer Treviño
Exciting roller coaster of a ride!
I was gifted this book by the author, & I have to tell you this is one I really enjoyed! It is full of excitement & action mixed with a little romance & plenty of comedy! I think these characters are awesome, & Cordelia is one demon I'd love to have on my side any day! Jagger's not too bad either! ;•)
I can't wait to read her next book!!!
Freda mans
I couldn't get enough of this book, the idea around it, and everything it was about! It was sooooo good! Paranormal fans are going to go insane when they read this cool tale, that is almost reminiscent of the Xmen school, but so much more.
I couldn't get enough of this book, and I loved the violent nature, which it was at times.
Michelle
Such a good storyline, and pretty neat to know that she's got a 2nd spin off series book out at the same time as this one, called Faustine. This story had you right at the beginning & it was a hard book to put down. Can't wait to read the 2nd of this series and the spin off book too!!! Love this author!!
Adriana Rios de Biedermann
Impresionante! En breve estará lista y disponible en Español.
Esta serie es genial, es fresca, MUY original y absolutamente atrapante.

100% recomendada para YA lectores
Kelley

Very much like vampire Academy. I enjoyed the book and the characters. Heading to read #2 now.
Rachel "Rai29"
(Originally posted on http://rai29bookreadnreview.blogspot....)

ISBN: 9780982800256
Publisher: Self / Indie
Pages: 412

Welcome to Bonfire Academy. Set in the foothills of the alpine mountains in St.Moritz, this exclusive private school caters to a special kind of student. Enter at your own risk... but if you are human, you may not want to enter at all.

I received Initiation by Imogen Rose for review from Imogen Rose & Allison Potter. Although, I really enjoyed reading Initiation, I found that the
Marsha
Mar 03, 2012 Marsha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 19 years and older
I wear two hats when reading a book. The first is that of an adult reader and the second is the hat of a YA reader. After reading "Initiation" both of my hats were confused. Why? Well, this book is a hybrid of YA and adult. I will give Ms. Rose credit, on the back of the book she warns prospective buyers that this book is intended for older YA's (age 16 and up). However, I still feel that some of the material was not appropriate for YA at all.

Cordelia has opted to stay a third year at Bonfire Ac
Al
Think about the average high school, full of hormonal teens pushing all the limits set by those in authority (I had to dig deep into my repressed memory to remember. If I can do it, so can you.). Now give those teens paranormal powers that they are still learning to control (not unlike those hormones in humans). In fact, learning about their just emerging powers — how to control them, and how to put them to the proper use — is the reason the Bonfire Academy exists. With werewolves, vampires, sha ...more
Chantelle Fourie (Odendaal)
iamjenai
Initiation tells the story of Cordelia, a graduating demon student of Bonfire Academy, a private school located in Switzerland for the paranormal students. Cordelia is given a task to mentor a new student of the academy - Faustine, the first and only half human/half demon to enter the Bonfire Academy. She has yet to discover her powers so enrolling in the academy is a must for her.

Initiation is a good book. However, I had a problem with the characters of the story. I was thinking all along that
Steph at  Starry Night Book Reviews

4.5/5 Stars *This book was given to me for an honest review for the book tour*

Set sometime in the future, in a Dystopian setting Frozen Heart will take you on Caessenda’s journey to survive and who knows maybe she might even find love.

Cressenda is what they call an Outlier because she does not live within the rules of the Affinity. Outliers are treated as if they are dangerous threats, so if caught, any Outlier would be put into a work camp. When a routine trip to the Trade Path goes wrong Cre
  • Crossroads (Crossroads Academy, #1)
  • Tales of Aradia the Last Witch Volume 1
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
  • Dark Summer (The Witchling, #1)
  • Lucifer (Sons of Old Trilogy, #1)
  • Deceived (Gwen Sparks, #2)
  • Paranormal Public (Paranormal Public, #1)
  • Revenge is Sweet (Kali Sweet, #1)
  • Ascension (Gryphon #4)
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Wolf Dream (Wolf Trilogy, #2)
  • Darker Days (The Darker Agency, #1)
  • Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1)
  • The Bloodstone Oracle (The Dark Gifts, #2.5)
  • Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1)
  • Supernatural Seduction (Coffin Girls, #2)
  • Sanguis City (Sanguis City, #1)
  • Bloodlines  (Demons of Oblivion, #1)
Imogen Rose is the author of the bestselling series, Portal Chronicles, which has attained cult status within indie literature and become a favorite among teens and adults alike. An immunologist by profession, Dr. Rose published her first work of fiction in 2010. She now writes full time and is currently working on her second teen series, the Bonfire Chronicles. Imogen was born in Sweden and has l ...more
More about Imogen Rose...
Portal (Portal Chronicles, #1) Equilibrium (Portal Chronicles, #2) Quantum (Portal Chronicles, #3) Integration (Bonfire Academy, #2) Faustine (Bonfire Chronicles, #1)

“I gaped at what I saw next. She yanked his arm off and ate it. Gross! I knew she was hungry, but that was just...well, against the school rules for one thing.” 4 likes