Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  35 reviews
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE ZOMBIE HANDBOOK EVER PUBLISHED

In one indispensable volume, Matt Mogk, founder and head of the Zombie Research Society, busts popular myths and answers all your raging questions about the living dead.*

Q. How can I increase my chances of survival?

A. One simple step is to keep away from other people. Without people there can be no zombies.

Q. What is...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies

Blu
I had to laugh at myself as I struggled between whether I labeled this book fiction or non-fiction. Sadly, I spend more time planning for the zombie apocalypse than I do my own retirement.

This was a great read with tons of information that was fairly new to me. For example, I did not know that George Romero's zombies were inspired by vampires in Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend". Definitely news to me! Most of the information contained on surviving the Z-apocalypse could be useful in most surviv...more
Holden Attradies
Dec 05, 2011 Holden Attradies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE who has any level of interest in zombies.
Purely amazing. This is a must read for anyone into the zombie genre, be it zombie lit or otherwise. I'd rate it as a zombie lit essential right up there with Max Brooks The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead and World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

I have to admit, I had passed this up a few times at local book stores during October when it was prominently featured on Zombie end caps. Even though I saw it had a forward by Brooks (who does not give his good...more
Jonnah D.
I loved it. That's all I really have to say. It's very insightful and informative. Mogk's writing style is really informative and at the same time, really entertaining. He has a certain talent of making something as serious and probable (I'm serious - I genuinely believe in the zombie apocalypse) with such a light air and a tone that will catch anyone's attention. I love how it says "non-fiction" because it is. I love all of the cited sources and how they come from credible sources, making every...more
Stacy
Excellent book and extremely up to date. Reads a bit like a textbook but the humor is rampant. While I understand the inability to include every zombie movie or mention in existence I do wonder why the author left out the 2010 Dylan Dog: Dead of Night style "thinking" zombies. Odd. I wasn't certain if I should be horrified or ecstatic that I have read, am reading, or have seen a majority of the reference material included in this book. I highly recommend it ... just so long as you realize that t...more
Kelly
Awesome. Simply awesome. A lot of fascinating information yet a fun and easy read. It really picks up where Zombie Survival guide left off. Broken down into four sections - evolution of the modern zombie, science, survival, pop culture - and well organized within each for easy reference. Whether you think you are a zombie expert or know nothing about zombies, this book will knock your socks off!
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Dear Zombie Apocalypse…you scare the crap out of me so I’m cramming before you occur.

Yep, zombies make me extremely paranoid. I like them in concept, it’s a neat idea…it’s also extremely creepy and the possibility of a human zombie disease popping up is large enough that I take zombie survival seriously. I’m just glad I’m not alone, otherwise I’d be weird…right? Right.

Anyway!! To the review. When this book says everything it means pretty much everything. It has tips for survival, facts about act...more
Alexis Winning
Loved it!

I'd like to think of myself as someone who knows a lot about zombies, but I certainly learned a lot more with this book!

Definitely a must read for those of you who love the genre, as it answers so many of the questions us zombie nerds often find ourselves discussing.

Finally, the 28 Days Later debate can be put to rest!
Diane Berry
From the origins of the the word zombie, to the exploration of the genre, this book has it all including survival tips. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Danielle West
I have a thing for zombies. I spend a lot of time thinking about them. Two of my favourite books ever are zombie books (World War Z, The Zombie Survival Guide). I am itching for The Walking Dead to come back on air. I love zombies. Well, not actually because zombies are horrifying. You know what I mean.

This book is better than The Zombie Survival Guide. I'll let that sink in for a minute. In The Zombie Survival Guide, Max Brooks takes some creative liberties (such as knowing how zombies come in...more
Shiv
Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Zombies is a truly excellent guide to zombies that covers all the bases in just enough detail to satisfy your, and is now my favourite book in my zombie library.
Unlike many other zombie texts which suffer from the over-inflated ego of the authors who like to put forward their own theories and ideas as widely accepted gospel. this text is ripe with references to academic texts, and zombie literature and movies, providing evidence for all the theories and...more
Jon Bauer
For discussing the effects of zombies on pop culture, it's relevant. For discussing the origins of the zombie mythology, it's informative. But in the survival/"Zombie Apocalypse" portion, it is irresponsibly bad. It makes a mockery of science. Mogk wields it like some pimpled junior high-er who found some bitchin science article but is simply unable to understand its context.

I think the only way this book is valuable as a means to preparing for the "Zombie Apocalypse" is if the probability for i...more
Heather Clitheroe
Not bad - a decent overview of zombie culture and lore, though the inclusion of Cormac McCarthy's The Road in his research is an obvious misstep. A good companion to Max Brooks' books. Beware, though: multiple spoilers for popular zombie movies throughout (though if you're reading a book like this, you've probably seen most of them). A little more coverage on The Walking Dead would have been appropriate. Surprisingly, he misses Les Revenants altogether - though it is a lesser known zombie film,...more
Florian Lerch
The biggest part of the book captures the survival aspects where the "Zombie Survival Guide" did clearly the better job. The pop-cultural chapters are interesting and well-made but far to short.
Udolpho
Written by the founder and head of the Zombie Research Society (ZRS) this book is really well researched. It's non-fiction -- and seeing as how zombies are fictional, you'd think it would just be an overview about zombie books/films/etc, but it covers history, survival tips, pop culture and speculative science too. It's amusing when he sites research studies to back up theoretical questions about zombies. And I can't believe the numbers of highly trained academics who have published material on...more
Joel Kleehammer
A gift from my wife, I devoured this book faster than any other I have ever read. If you like zombies (really, really like zombies), then this is your Bible on zombies. when it says everything you ever wanted to know, it meant it. If you have ever considered zombies to the point that it consumes your time, then read this now. Matt Mogk makes an effort to discuss zombies from a film history perspective, but he brings in all kinds of various disciplines to make his book speak to many different gro...more
Matt Therault
While I thought the book was good on a whole. I couldn't get over feeling as though the author drew hard lines in the sand about zombies. I don't really see how you can draw a hard line in the sand with a fictional character who is only about 60 years old, and still still in the evolution of what a zombie exactly is. To me this hard line was a bit distracting from the actual knowledge of the subject.
Jasmine
props to anyone willing to pin Roanoke on zombies.

I learned a lot from this book, zombies are based on the vampires from I am Legend. Although 28 days later technically are not zombies it's considered okay to count them within the genre which I always have but have been told to stop. That zombies only once have ever stated they were looking for brains.
Dawn Betts-Green
My wife is a zombie enthusiast, and by that I mean she has a serious contingency plan and rails against what she terms zombie apologists and propaganda portraying zombies as cute. She read this a while back, and I finally managed to get around to it. Awesome book. Perfect for both the established enthusiast and the uninitiated.
Jeremiah Graves
This was a pretty good read and incredibly well-researched, seriously the information in this book could be utilized to survive almost any major catastrophe, and the subject of zombies in treated with an honesty that you rarely see in modern works. It did get a bit lengthy in some sections, but overall, a great read.
Extremely entertaining! Mogk successfully brings together everything we’ve grown to love and cherish about zombies into one little book!

This is a definite must-read for anyone who fancies George A. Romero films and AMC’s The Walking Dead. There are several mentions of both in the book plus much, much more.
Erin
Great book - good mix of pop culture, pseudo-science (hypothetical zombie causes and survivalist reactions), and disaster survival (based on survival techniques and current news). Really interesting, and a quick read. Each section is really short, so it keeps the whole book moving along at a good clip.
Tabetha Moe
I've always considered myself pretty well-versed when it came to zombies, but after reading this book, I look back and grimace on how ignorant I was.
If you fear the coming zombie apocalypse as much as I do and want to prepare yourself in ways you would never even fathom, read this book.
Matthew
This book was a lot of fun. There are four sections that include the evolution of the modern zombie, scientific concerns, a survival guide, and zombies in popular culture. I recommend this book to anyone who liked The Zombie Survival Guide or enjoys learning more about zombies.
Emily
This book was great! Matt Mogk provides you with everything you need to know about zombies in a very captivating and entertaining manner. You don't have to be a zombie fanatic to enjoy this book. Definitely recommend!

"Because what you don't know can eat you."
Brandon Cochran
Jan 05, 2013 Brandon Cochran rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie fanatics
Shelves: owned
If you've always been interested in the living dead, this book is definitely for you! It contains all sorts of interesting facts and history all about zombies. I don't really know what else I can say about it, but it's definitely a great read!
Dana Wright
Oct 12, 2011 Dana Wright is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
This book will be featured in my Halloween giveaway roundup starting on October 21 on Zombie Girl Shambling! Come on over for some frights and giveaways.

Jessica Kuzepski
I liked it, it should really be called "Everything you Ever Wanted to Know About Zombie Survival" Focused more on that than actual zombies.
Jessica
Awesome! I feel better prepared for the inevitable zombie apocalypse now.
Satu
A bit dry. Tastes a tad like somene's trying too hard.
Regina Hunter
Love "Know your Zombie" section.
  • Dead Inside: Do Not Enter: Notes from the Zombie Apocalypse
  • So Now You're a Zombie: A Handbook for the Newly Undead
  • It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Zombies: A Book of Zombie Christmas Carols
  • The Gospel of the Living Dead: George Romero's Visions of Hell on Earth
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • Eden
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Autumn: Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
  • The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notebooks from the Apocalypse
  • After Life
  • After the End
That's Not Your Mommy Anymore: A Zombie Tale I Saw Mommy Biting Santa Claus: A Zombie Christmas Parody I Saw Mommy Biting Santa Claus: A Zombie Christmas Parody