A Most Dangerous Profession

A Most Dangerous Profession (Hurst Amulet #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  553 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Mysterious, elusive, unforgettable. The Hurst Amulet continues to lure lovers into peril as New York Times bestselling author Karen Hawkins spins her newest scintillating tale of danger and desire.

AN ENTRANCING THIEF

For beautiful, seductive Moira MacAllister, the stakes have become terrifyingly high. Her daughter has been abducted and a priceless ancient relic is the ra...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about A Most Dangerous Profession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Most Dangerous Profession

Evie
I always enjoy reading Karen Hawkins books. This installment was certainly fun to read. It had laughter, blackmail, spies, a bit of tragedy, sensual tension, it was pretty good.

Moira and Robert once loved each other, but due to their lines of work they were separated. After years of silence, and not knowing what had become of each other, they cross paths again. They're both after the same thing, and lives are at stake. They claim to not want to be around each other, but the spark from years pas...more
Rebecca
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

Karen Hawkins is one of my favorite historical romance authors, and I love to recommend her books, because they’re always funny and appealing. You can imagine my excitement, then, when I discovered an early copy of A Most Dangerous Profession at the Barnes & Noble this weekend. This is the third book in the Hurst Amulet series if you don’t count the prequel, Much Ado About Marriage, and even if you haven’t read any of the other...more
Julie
Feb 09, 2012 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers!
Shelves: regency-romance
Another delightfully fun installment in the "Hurst Amulet" series by Karen Hawkins. I just love this author and can always count on her stories to be adventurous and entertaining. It's hard to be disappointed by anything Karen writes. Although some of her other books have proven to be more humor filled, the hero and heroine of this story are to be just as memorable with their intelligence, daring, and seduction. If you like a fast-paced story, adventure mixed with steamy romance, and a couple of...more
Jeana
I’m blaming grad school for the insanity of my TBR (to be read) pile – well, list, since most of them are now on my nook. The latest of the Hurst Amulet series by Karen Hawkins was published in October and I FINALLY received the chance to read it this weekend.

I’m a huge fan of Karen Hawkins, with both her historical and contemporary romances. In all honesty, I fall in love a little more with her writing with each new story that I read. I’ve been looking forward to this book since the end of the...more
SidneyKay
Tina
What I Liked: The blurb sounded highly intriguing. That's about it :^/

What I Didn't Like: I didn't care for how each chapter began with a letter to some such person. Pointless and confusing. After the fourth one, I just skipped them altogether. Also, the dialog was awful and contrived, the pacing horrendously slow and the characters uninteresting. And—to a lesser extent—the book doesn't work as a stand-alone. I was so lost. It'd probably be a good idea to read the other earlier books in the seri...more
Lover of Romance
Moira MacAllister, knows that she has no choice but do what she is told because she is being blackmailed with the only thing that truly matters to her...her daughter is being held captive by the ransomer, and the father of her daughter who has no idea he is a father is the one who keeps chasing her and trying to keep her from the goal. However when she keeps bumping into Robert, she knows that she will eventually have to tell him the truth....and when the truth comes out Moira wonders that when...more
Michelle
This is another great historical romance series dealing with a family. I always love how these give readers a chance to see love grow not just between the most beautiful girl of the season and a duke, but the "regular" people of the period as well. This is not the final book in the series but a great mystery has been unfolding over the course of these novels. Each has just one more piece to the puzzle but a great romance develops each time.

In this story we follow the story of Robert and Moira a...more
Sababa
So what can I say about this series?
After how the last one ended, you can only imagine how thrilled I was to get my hands on this one. Although I had to wait two days to satiate my curiosity about Robert and Moira. But thanks to Goodreads which has introduced me to my book-pals, I finally had the pleasure of reading it. And yes, it was a pleasure reading it!

Of all the Hursts, Robert always seemed to me and a bit proud and distant. I mean there is something about him that just made him stand apar...more
Kimberly
Blue Ribbon Rating: 5 out of 5
Original Review Link

Moira MacAllister has been a spy, a thief and a con artist, but never before has a job been so important. An enemy has kidnapped her daughter, and to get the child back, Moira has to steal an ancient onyx box. But someone besides her unwanted employer is also looking for the box…a man Moira fears she cannot outwit; her husband.

Robert Hurst has never forgiven Moira for tricking him into marriage. Unfortunately, he also has never been able to get M...more
Susan
Really fun book. Both Moira and Robert need the artifact. Moira needs it to rescue her daughter from a man who kidnapped her. Robert needs it to fulfill another step in finding the Hurst Amulet. I loved the beginning where they kept getting the better of each other. It was even better when they started working together. They had trust issues with each other that had to be overcome, as each one expected the other to run off with the item once they got it. Robert was upset that Moira hadn't told h...more
April
A MOST DANGEROUS PROFESSION by Karen Hawkins is an exciting historical romance set in 1822 Scotland. It is the third in the "Hurst Amulet" series,see "One Night in Scotland" and "Scandal In Scotland",although "A Most Dangerous Profession" can be read as a stand alone.It has everything a historical romance reader could want,romance,mystery,suspense,sweet sensuality,misunderstandings,a perilous mission,a dashing rakehell,and an entrancing thief,who was once and still is briefly married to the dash...more
Kasumi
Definitivamente esta serie es bastante light en cuanto a trama y conflictos se trata. En esta, al menos, hay un secuestro en condiciones y un rescate, pero después de ver lo poco que sale a la niña una se pregunta si no sería una excusa para que existiera pero saliera muy poco porque suena demasiado adulta para tener 5 años.

Voy a por el último libro porque es el último y era el que más me atraía desde el principio.
Ash
The Hurst Amulet Series is absolutely delightful . Its full of charm, witt ...loaded with adventure and some down right hilarious moments (which if ur a Karen Hawkins fan youve come to expect ) My absolute fav thing about this series is the letters. The letters from Michael to his sister Mary or from Mary to William and so on. Its an uexpected glimps into their closeness as a family. and i absolutely love them , i think the series would be naught without them. So this time we have the story of M...more
Ada
Another fantastic read in the Hurst Amulet series, book 3 featuring Robert Hurst and his chameleon of a wife, Moira.

As all the previous Maclean/Hurst novels, this had quite the enjoyable adventure as Robert and Moira team up to find the final onyx box and rescue their daughter, Rowena, from the evil clutches of George Aniston. And of course, it's not a Hurst novel without the hilarious letters written between the many siblings and relatives leading towards the final novel, Michael's book The Tam...more
J.R. Newell
I haven't read any of the other books in this series, but I didn't find that to be a problem at all. I thought the author handled the backstory well and introduced all of the secondary characters (and hints of previous stories and stories yet to come) very well in the form of short letters between siblings at the beginning of every chapter.

I really enjoyed "A Most Dangerous Profession". I thought the heroine was awesome -- she was beautiful, tough, and clever and yet the author managed to weave...more
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
Book 3 in the Hurst Amulet series

Robert Hurst allowed Moira MacAllister to seduce him into marrying him years ago. He was never quite able to figure out why she went to the trouble to make sure the marriage was legitimate.

Now he's racing against time to collect the three onyx boxes that when opened & fit together make a map that may lead his family to the stolen Hurst Amulet.

Moira needs the box to rescue her daughter from the man blackmailing her into stealing it. She runs into Robert again...more
Lord Rose
Somehow, it just seemed kind of lacking to me. I've enjoyed many of Karen Hawkins' books in the past, but this one just didn't quite click.

It seemed pretty rushed in places- the story seemed to consist of rushing from one place to the next, but all the travel time mysteriously disappeared. We were told it took a week (or however long) to travel from one place to another, but I would have liked to see at least a bit of the H and h's interactions during those times. And then there were questions I...more
Fira Rosli
It was good but not good enough, apparently. It just didn't satisfied my romance radar or feelings or whatever you want to call it. And I can't help but notice that there are some big gaps missing of information or emotions.... you have to work on that, Karen, because I notice that in your previous book too. But all in all, it was an okay read and light and quite funny at times. Can't wait to read the next book already!
Elle
Good adventure, not a lot of navel-gazing. He's a spy; she's the woman who got the better of him. She lured him into a "pretend" marriage then vanished, only to pop up again in previous books in this series. They're both looking for the onyx boxes, she at the behest of an awful man who is holding something precious over her head. From there you can kind of guess what happens, but it's still fun the way it unfolds.
Robin (RBBR)
I'm not very good with "casting" but if the Hurst Amulet Series is ever made into Movies Hugh Jackman needs to play Robert. Not so much because of how I pictured him but because the Author has stated that Jackman was the inspiration for Robert's looks. I mention it on this particular Review because this is Robert's Story. I think Robert appears in all of the books in the series at least briefly.
Trish
oh I wish we could give half stars! This one is 3 1/2 stars for me. It was good, nothing wrong with it, but it just wasn't the compelling page turner that I've come to appreciate from her. Historical romance is not my main interest, but Karen Hawkins has sold me some of her stuff big time, this one was more, meh that I've come to expect. Not a waste of time, but more ordinary than not.
Kimberly
This is an entertaining romance with interesting characters & an exciting storyline. However I do recommend starting at the beginning of the series with "One Night in Scotland", or better yet, start with the MacLean Curse series which ties into the Hurst series. The first book to start with is "How to Abduct a Highland Lord". All the books are great fun & the reading flys.
Kim
I just read Karen Hawkins' "A Most Dangerous Profession" yesterday on Pocket After Dark's site, and immediately added the entire Hurst Amulet series to my TBR stack.

Enough details on the Scottish scenery to make one want to visit, and characters with enough back-story to set the conflict, but not so much to make the reader despair of a HEA: Great weekend read!
Joanne
Moira MacAllister's daughter has been kidnapped and being held for ransom and the ransom is a priceless ancient relic. Along the way in finding this relic she is reunited with Robert Hurst who happens to be the father of Moria's daughter but had no idea that she existed. Now they must work together to save their daughter.
Rachel
London 1822
So delightful! I think Robert is my favorite being how dark and mysterious he is under all that fop! And when he injures Ross all for Moira, I was just taken! I am super excited to see what is going to happen to Michael and the amulet in the final installment. Anyone know when it's coming out????
Melanie
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads, so I wasn't familiar with this author, Karen Hawkins. However, this was a book I couldn’t put down. The characters of Robert and Moira were unpredictable, always kept me guessing. I will definitely read the other books in this series. Awesome book!
Barbara
I liked the story--one of my favorite troupes---married but separated and find each other again. The book was too short and the ending was rushed. The epilogue should have been a full chapter. Moira nd Robert were fine and well written but the overwhelming emotions from the other books just wasn't there.
Joycee
Another delightful installment on the Hurst Amulet series. Robert & Moira balanced each other well, and it was such a refreshingly quick (but nevertheless engaging) read after a (typical?) protracted tale from another author who shall remain nameless. Now I have to finish the series...!
Natalee
I just finished this book yesterday, and I loved it. The romance between the hero and heroine was done in a magnetic way that drew me in with their tale. Karen added enough action and adventure for a fun romantic ride down lovers lane. I was half way I love with the hero by the end of the book :)
  • Lord Langley Is Back in Town (Bachelor Chronicles, #8)
  • A Scandalous Scot
  • By Grace Possessed (The Three Graces, #2)
  • True Spies (Lord and Lady Spy, #2)
  • Temptation of a Highland Scoundrel (Highland Warriors, #2)
  • A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • The Highlander's Heart (Highlander #2)
  • Sweet Deception (Veiled Seduction, #2)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall #4)
  • A Wedding Wager (Blackwater Brides, #2)
  • Tis the Season to Be Sinful
  • Ripe for Scandal (The League of Second Sons, #2)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
  • Meet Me at Midnight (With This Ring, #2)
New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Karen Hawkins is known for her wonderfully humorous and emotion-tugging historical and contemporary romances. The author of over 30 novels, Karen writes for a living between shopping for shoes, playing around on Facebook and Pinterest, looking for fun items for Hawkins Manor, and napping, although usually not at the same time. Sometimes, for fun, sh...more
More about Karen Hawkins...
How to Abduct a Highland Lord (MacLean Curse, #1) To Catch a Highlander (MacLean Curse, #3) The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5) The Abduction of Julia (Rogues, #1) Sleepless in Scotland (MacLean Curse, #4)

“You can get lost, pretending to be someone you’re not.” 3 likes
“The world has no boundaries for someone who savors success and is willing to work for it.” 1 likes