Refugee (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16) (Star Wars: Force Heretic, #2)

Refugee (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16) (Force Heretic #2)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  3,305 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Swift and deadly, the Yuuzhan Vong have blasted their way across the galaxy—and now stand on the threshold of total victory. Yet a courageous few still dare to oppose them. . . .

Rife with hostile cultures and outright enemies, the Unknown Regions holds many perils for Luke Skywalker and the Jedi, searching for Zonama Sekot, the living planet that may hold the key to deal...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 29th 2003)

Crystal Starr Light
Tired of the Yuuzhan Vong? You picked the right book!

Luke and gang still search for Zonoma Sekot, this time on the Chiss homeworld of Csilla and in a big library. Han and Leia and company flit to Bakura to recreate Tyer's "Truce at Bakura". And Nom Anor continues to be a heretic.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

Oh, novel, why do you do this to me? Even though I didn't like reading you the first time, I didn't start listening to the audiobook thinking, "I am going to hate this book, hee hee hee...more
Mark
A book of three halves...(!)

The Ssi-Ruuk story was surprisingly enjoyable - though the revelation near the end had predictable inevitableness.

The Chiss story was fun, though the Zonama Sekot story (the reason for being with the Chiss) is rather tedious - rather like 'Gaia' in the later 'Foundation' books.

Nom Amor's religion building is fun to watch - religions co-opted for political purposes, and with the potential to leave politics behind and forgotten....
Daniel
I struggled to get through this one. There was good ideas and parts--particularly the Chiss homeworld, the spreading heresy among the Yuuzhan Vong, Tahiri, and even some of the Bakura storyline. Much of this book has a sufficient "fantasy" feel about it, as a good Star Wars book should.

However, the writing is predictable. Except for the big twist (view spoiler), I felt like all the characters couldn't figure things out that should've b...more
Jeff
The New Jedi Order series took a while to start moving along again, but it is certainly in the zone in the Force Heretic trilogy. While the story is kind of tangental to the main story arc of the series, it is a welcome distraction in a lot of ways. Another interesting thing that is happening in these three books is that there are three storylines that are being followed. However, sometimes there are more things going on at once than is easy to follow. So once in a while, you'll say to yourself,...more
Lindsey
Michael Church
This book was actually much much better than I expected going into it. Remnant was such a chore to read, I'm glad this one was more enjoyable.

I think where it succeeded was in keeping things a bit simpler. The plot lines were clearly divided int 3-4 stories that were very linear in nature and well written. That's what really has hampered this series on the whole: not being able to see its plots through to completion. It really feels like the current activities are going somewhere soon in this i...more
Darth
I dont know if this was actaully decent, or if it just seemed good after it's abyssmal predecessor.
Either way I came away from this thankful to have not had to wade through another set of victories over the Vong, just to see them start the next book worse off. In fact the Vong were mercifully sparse in this installment, and that may be why I found it a little better than Remnant.

We had 3 main storylines, not too many to care about, granted with some good sized splintering within those 3, but st...more
Aric
The interesting and sometimes suspenseful plot was nearly completely ruined by the extremely poor authorship of this book. If this book was standalone and not part of a long series, it would have been the first book that I would have put down and never finished. Slight upgrade over the previous book in the series also written by these two dopes. Both books ended with elipeses...enough said.
Toby Andersen
good solid NJO novel. Well written and the characters are handled well. the book as a standalone is actually plotted better than most. the thing is that the story itself is really annoying - i hated Bakura and the ssiruuk the first time around in 'Truce' but this is them again in a convoluted tale of betrayal and deception. They are rubbish enemies and entechment is a crappy technology that doesnt really fit into star wars at all. so to have to go back there is just annoying. The story itself is...more
Michael
And so Solo's the continue their mission, which does not look as if it will be complete at the end of the next book. Tahiri's situation is revealed, and the Skywalker mission is entering it's final phase. This series attempts to tackle a lot and it is therefore highly plot driven. A lot of things happen, but because the authors are cramming it into 1200 pages or so it lacks a lot of the impact and emotion it could have. In the first book we are confused by the dreams whose dreams are hey. It bui...more
William
While this second book of the miniarc trilogy from the New Jedi Order series started off slowly, the ending kept me up later than normal, and tired for work the next day. Needless to say, it was very exciting. However, further to the excitement was the twists and turns not normally reserved for Star Wars literature. There were events taking place that I never saw coming, and normally these Star wars books are pretty straight laced and formulaic. If for no other reason at all, the novel earned it...more
Mark
Sometimes the middle thing in a trilogy is awesome, because it maintains the perfect balance of providing its own satisfying story while advancing the larger narrative. This second book in a three-book sequence is not such a trilogy.

Part of that is probably because it's couched within the NJO arc itself so it can't stand on its own as much. It's also because this feels like the parts that went with neither the setup nor the climax. Just some stuff in the middle for the characters to do on the w...more
Jesse
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never...more
Ben
Not the worst Star Wars book I've ever read. It was a bit refreshing to get away from the Vong for a while, even though the (view spoiler) aren't the best either.

Much less of the boring metaphysical dream world of the previous book. This book is nothing special, but you have to get through it to finish the series.

The parts involving Nom Anor were very interesting on the other hand. If they had been the focus of the book I would be able to give it a better rating.
Ryan
Significantly weaker than the first part of the mini-series. The stuff I liked from book 1 was all scaled back, and uninteresting stuff put in its place - it also seemed to suffer from this desire on the part of some NJO authors to revisit every single plot point from earlier novels, as we return to Bakura to see how things have been holding up there in the two decades since the planet was introduced.

I think once the Force Heretic series is done I need to take a Star Wars break.
John Cook
Apr 15, 2013 John Cook rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens or older.
Recommended to John by: Me
The second in a series within a series, set in the heart of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Luke and Leia not only battle the enemy, but find themselves caught in a political battle as well. The Jedi are losing popular favor. The Yuuzhan Vong are gaining more and more power as they conquer and transform planet after planet. Luke goes in search of a "living planet" in hopes that he can find an advantage over the Force immune enemy.
Nathan
Out of the fifty plus Star Wars novels that I've read, this is probably my least favorite. The story veers away from the current series plot and ends up being sort of a "Truce at Bakura" sequel. For me, it was a grind reading through this "filler" story. Hopefully the third book in this trilogy will get back to the original story line.
Brantley
A solid, enjoyable read which dragged on during the beginning and middle of the novel. The writing is standard: not ornate, not bare bones, but somewhere in the middle. It was an average read, definitely the second book in a trilogy. Not particularly remarkable.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 06, 2009 Matt Hartzell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
Shelves: star-wars
The New Jedi Order is my favorite series in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. It is a long and epic story, with large ramifications for all the Expanded Universe characters. It will keep you busy for a while!
Olfat Sakr
I had heard that the books had a rather dark theme and avoided reading them for quiet some time but I must say I'm glad that I listened to a friend and gave these books a chance :)
Bonnie
Decent, not as much of a page-turner as the previous novel. Also what's with the 20 page epilogue? I though epilogues were supposed to be around 5 pages long.
K
Book wasn't as good as the first book of the series, didn't seem to have much action. My only hope is that it is a setup for the third book.
Brendan
Too long. Too complicated. And for the most part I just couldn't bring myself to care. Some of the side plots seemed so unnecessary.
Matthew
It had a lot of fun action, and it wasn't boring, which means, under my extremely generous rating system, that it gets five stars.
Wesley
I hate that planet as much as the Yuzhon(sp) Vong. Neither belong in Star Wars.
Eric Moreno
Jesse
A great ending ready to lead in to the next book of the series!
Jeff
The whole series is meh.
Jeroen
Jul 26, 2009 Jeroen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi geeks like me...
Loved this one as well!
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • The Swarm War (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #3)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8)
#1 New York Times bestselling Sean Williams lives with his family in Adelaide, South Australia. He’s written some books--thirty-nine at last count--including the Philip K. Dick-nominated Saturn Returns, several Star Wars novels and the Troubletwister series with Garth Nix. Twinmaker is the first in a new YA SF series that takes his love affair with the matter transmitter to a whole new level. You...more
More about Sean Williams...
Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17) Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15) Fatal Alliance (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #3) The Force Unleashed (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, #1) The Force Unleashed II (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, #2)

“Throwing off an oppressor is only the beginning of a long and difficult journey.

Leia”
1 likes
“The Chiss have always stored sensitive data in this fashion. It is safe secure and permanent. We have lost too much data in ice storms to trust other more complicated forms of storage.

Tris”