Start by marking “One Click: Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com” as Want to Read:
One Click: Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com

One Click: Jeff Bezos and the Rise of Amazon.com

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  4,713 Ratings  ·  316 Reviews
Amazon's business model is deceptively simple: Make online shopping so easy and convenient that customers won't think twice. It almost can be summed up by the button on every page: "Buy now with one click."
Why has Amazon been so successful? Much of it has to do with Jeff Bezos, the founder and CEO, whose unique combination of character traits and business strategy has dri
Published October 1st 2011 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about One Click, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Click

mark monday
May 30, 2013 mark monday marked it as unread-forever  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rain-man-reviews
It seems like ages ago that Amazon and I met-cute while fox & dolphin hunting on a small private island reserve off of the Southern California coast. Oh how the years move by. And yet, after all the early displays of yearning and passion, after all of the screaming bouts of sadomasochistic blood-sport and nonconsensual body modification that constitutes our "love"-making, I am proud to report that our so-called love still stands strong, still runs deep. The sympathy and even the - dare i say ...more
Ahmed Abdelhamid
Feb 15, 2013 Ahmed Abdelhamid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب خيب ظني!
كان أحسن بكثير مما توقعت، يحكي قصة صعود أمازون، أكثر ما بقي في ذهني اهتمام جيف بالنمو أولا قبل الربح، ثم تغير ذلك للربح، في نفس الوقت مع المحافظة على مصادر الأفكار الجديدة من الموظفين انفسهم.
أعجبني الاستثمار في المديرين و تدريبهم جيدا قبل زيادة الفرق، و تحديد حجم الفريق بحيث تكفي 2 بيتزا. لفت انتباهي الروح التي يبثها في الفريق، و حجم الموظفين الكلي و معدل النمو الذي سار عليه.
و أيضا، الطريقة التي تتطور بها تفكيره، و التي حافظ بها على أحلامه و نهج حياته العملية أعجبني كثيرا.

أظن الك
Brad
Mar 17, 2013 Brad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is insulting. The author had no access whatsoever and doesn't acknowledge any interviews or primary data collection. Several of the sources are actually publicly available YouTube videos.

In essence, it is a well-written 4th grade book report.

To add insult to injury, there are some very awkward word uses in here including several loud-out-loud cliches like "spit over a bridge".

The book gets off to a weird start. I actually thought that my copy may have been missing some pages because
Engy فوده
Feb 19, 2013 Engy فوده rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الكتاب ده يُعتبر كده: A must read
لأي حد بيشتغل في تكنولوجيا المعلومات و له علاقة بالبرمجة سواء في الصناعة أو الاستثمار والسوق أو الجامعات

الكتاب صغير جدا في الحجم، و بالرغم من ذلك أخذ مني وقت طوييييييل جدا حتي انتهيت منه
كان يحبطني لأيام كثيرة!!
بعد قراءة الفصل الأول توقفت كثيراً و غضبت من نفسي و من أساتذتي و علي طلبتي!!

فعلاً زي ما قال چيف عن أمازون:
It's the kitty hawk of the e-commerce

براءات الاختراع ل one click أبهرتني!!
و كمان طريقة التفكير في اختراق المستقبل و عمل كلمة سر بحركات بالجسم علي الكي
Mark L.
May 11, 2012 Mark L. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
Maybe Walter Isaacson spoiled me in his amazing biography of Steve Jobs, and maybe the biography of a company simply can't be compared to the biography of a great man, but this book was a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very glad I read it. And it was a very quick read. But I felt like the book was written with a sort of paint-by-number journalism. The whole thing felt obligatory, and not full of life like Isaacson's biography of Jobs.

I got out of this book what I needed: some deta
Jay
Apr 02, 2012 Jay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobook
This is mostly a company history of Amazon, hitting the highlights such as the founding, development of features, operations, competing, buying Zappos, developing the Kindle, and so on. I thought that much of what I read I had seen previously in magazine articles, many of which were mentioned in the book. There wasn't as much personal info on Bezos as I would have expected, and I'm not sure I learned what makes him tick. As a company history, this was just OK, not delving very deeply into the is ...more
Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh
As a writer, I think it is very important to keep up with the latest happenings in the publishing world, and Amazon just so happens to be at the top of the totem pole as of the past decade. Whether or not we agree with the Wal-Martesque approach that Jeff Bezos has taken with the book industry, his methods deserve some attention. OK enough with the blah.

The book hit on the biography of Bezos, but it was more like a cotton candy version full of fluff and sugar-coated. It is not a Walter Isaacson
Benjamin
Aug 20, 2013 Benjamin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, non-fiction
Shay
Oct 04, 2012 Shay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those familiar with the work of technology journalist Richard L. Brandt will be acquainted with his style of blending biography and business history, as he has previously done with Larry Page, Sergey Brin, and Google. In One Click, Brandt profiles Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos. Readers expecting an in-depth, definitive history of Amazon or a complete portrait of Bezos may be disappointed. This relatively short (224p) profile draws largely on publically available information and resources. Th ...more
Gerhard
Jan 19, 2013 Gerhard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, non-fiction
I recently updated my beloved Kindle version 2 to a Paperwhite, which made me curious to find out more about the man behind the device that has made such an impact on my own life.

'One Click' is good as a potted history of Amazon, the rise (and rise) of which traces the advent of Internet commerce itself. Amazon's progress from humble, haphazard start-up to its current status as e-commerce behemoth (I did not even know it sold power tools or shoes) is a remarkable story. What is perhaps a little
Mahmoud Fouad
Mar 13, 2013 Mahmoud Fouad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is one of the best books I have ever read. I recommend it for any technology entrepreneur. It narrates the story of Amazon and how Jeff Bezos struggle a lot in the beginning of Amazon.This book makes me sure that money & profit shouldn't be your main target, I know that no business could survive without money but you have to set long term plans and concentrate on providing a good service for your customer..money & profit would come later..I learnt not to loose hope.. work hard & t ...more
Pongsak Sarapukdee
หนังสือประวัติของ Amazon.com และเจฟฟ เบซอส ตอนแรกไมไดคาดหวังอะไรมาก เพราะตามรีวิวของคนทีอานมากอนหนา เขียนในเชิงวา เนือหาไมลึก ไมมีบทสัมภาษณพิเศษจากตัวเขาเอง หรือบุคคลใกลชิดเลย สวนใหญมาจากขาว นิตยสารทัวไป

แตพอเริมอาน ผิดคาดครับ อานสนุกกวาทีคิดไวมาก เนือเรืองกระชับ ลำดับเรืองตามชวงเวลาไมสับสน ถาใครติดตามขาวทางไอทีกจะยิงอินกับเรืองราวตางๆทีเกิดขึน เอาเปนวาใครอยากรูจักเจฟฟ เบซอส ควรอาน ใครอยากเรียนรูวิธีคิดในการจะเปลียนตัวเองใหเปนผูประกอบการ ควรอาน ใครอยากเรียนรูวิธีการคิดแบบมีระเบียบแบบแผน กควรอาน
Troy Blackford
Feb 12, 2014 Troy Blackford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a much more slender book than 'The Everything Store' by Brad Stone, and it accordingly gets into far less detail. Giant swaths of Amazon's history are left out of this one. Also, this book came out in 2010, so much of the meteoric rise of eBooks, led by the Kindle, was just conjecture at the time. But it was still a very interesting book and I'm glad I read it.
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review - One Click by Richard L. Brandt

When you compare the Biography of Steve Jobs (630 pages) and then compare the Biography of Jeff Bezos (190 pages), you will without a doubt know something is missing.
A large chunk of it.

In those 190 pages, Ricahrd L. Brandt the award-winning magazine writer tries to summarizes Jeff Bezos & Amazon for a quick read.

Here are a few bits that I picked from this book.
• Jeff Bezos was a Brainy Kid and one among the top in his class with
Steven Dzwonczyk
As with many biographies I read, when I find out how much has been done by the person who is the topic of the book by the time they were my age, I get a little depressed and bemoan my own lack of accomplishments. When I found out that Jeffrey Bezos was born in the same year was me I became doubly so. Around the years he was coming up with the ideas and layout for Amazon.com I was toiling away at my comfortable, if not lucrative, corporate job. I was even doing a little programming at the same ti ...more
Yousif Al Zeera
This book talks about the great Amazon company and the person behind it, Jeff Bezos. It takes you to the childhood days of Jeff and how his work at the farm with his grandfather toughened him up and then covers the early days of Amazon when it was only about selling books. It was Jeff himself who was responding to customer complaints by emails and do some packaging in these early days.

Chapter by chapter, it sheds light on the major highlights and milestones in this company and how it expanded t
Kara
Real rating: 3.5 stars

Interesting, though short, read about the birth and growth of Amazon.com. It's a good introduction to the company's history with little personal detail about Bezos himself (despite the title).

One of the key questions the book purports to answer is, "Why has Amazon been so successful?" Brandt presents a number of reasons, but I was surprised that customer support wasn't really one of them, despite Amazon's image as a customer-centric company*. Instead, the author emphasizes
Kelly  Schuknecht
May 19, 2015 Kelly Schuknecht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The subtitle could not be more appropriate. "One Click" is a fascinating look at Jeff Bezos and the rise of Amazon.com. I never knew much about Jeff Bezos other than the fact that he started Amazon. He's always seemed to exist behind the scenes. This book offers insight into Bezos's background, beginning with his childhood. From being adopted by his step-father to his passion for reading in elementary school to his early entrepreneurial ventures, Bezos almost becomes a likable person.

For some r
Susana
Aug 02, 2012 Susana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Un libro interesante que cuenta la historia de creación y crecimiento de amazon.
Hay dos aspectos que me llamaron poderosamente la atención en el libro:
1. Como Bezos identifica una oportunidad de negocios y logra transformar la industria de ventas, inicialmente, del libro, y luego del libro en general.
2. Las "trampas" que utiliza para cerrarle camino a los competidores, en especial, el registro de patentes sobre "ideas" que impiden a otros ofrecer productos similares. Esta táctica está evidenciad
Nizzy
Feb 15, 2012 Nizzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, audiobooks
For a person who doesn’t know the details on the company profile of Amazon.com, this book is a great place to start. It’s a short read/listen (just under 4.5 hours of listening material) that describes, in a somewhat chronological fashion, the inception of Amazon dot com and the biography of its founder Jeff Bezos. Although it’s lacking in some details of the “dark side” of the company, it definitely peaked my interested in learning more about Amazon and also other businesses and entrepreneurs. ...more
April Sarah
Dec 01, 2015 April Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an advised user of amazon.com and a constant reader, this book fascinated be. To see where the roots of what would be the source my ebook addiction started is captivating. I've always had a love hate relationship with the website and you can see where the tug of war may have started from the very beginning.

And then as a UX developer, seeing the processes that build amazon.com, there is just so many things could have just flopped this website. It is amazing to think that this actually is a thi
Ron
Jan 15, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe I've plowed through all the available titles covering the rise of Amazon.com and this is the best by far. Brandt is a professional journalist who mixes solid reporting and investigation with a biographer's flair for presenting a vivid, believable portrait of his subject. The book reads easily, and uncovers many interesting details not presented elsewhere. I was hoping this read would last longer, but had so much fun that I read it through in two sittings.

Highly recommended for anyone
Pixelmonkee
This book was FAR less interesting than the Accidental Billionaires. Not surprisingly, the founding of Amazon was a lot less interesting than the founding of Facebook. I feel like they placed too much emphasis on the history of amazon as a bookstore and less on the Amazon that serves up 1/3 of the biggest sites in the world. People definitely need and want to buy things, but this backbone service is much more important than the author understood or at least wrote about.
Derek Neighbors
A good high level look into where Amazon came from and where they are going. If you are wanting an indepth dive into Amazon culture and operations this isnt the book. If you want a 3rd party view point on how the company got started, some of its early history and some nice anecdotes. The book is well written but a bit shallow. It is a shame that Brandt didn't take a deeper dive.
LeChuck
Cuenta como se creó el imperio de Amazon. Interesante para la gente de este mundillo, cuenta como lo que realmente importa es con quién te juntes y lo poco que te importe todo lo que no sea tu empresa.
Daniel
Apr 26, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A concise story of the world's first unicorn

Many of Amazon's lessons are followed by the aspiring teams of today (focus on time to makers, hacker culture, sales vs profitability and relentless focus on the customer) and these has been carefully assembled by the author.
Anshu
Dec 15, 2016 Anshu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book in order to learn more about the history of one "one click" but I learned a lot about Amazon's history and early days. Quite well explained. Seems like Amazon Prime was not explained in detail unless I missed it.
Anant Kanndpal
Dec 18, 2012 Anant Kanndpal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of hero worship, could have focused a little more on the actual strategies. Much of the information given is common knowledge. Although intended to be a case study, it is actually written in a biographical style. Must read if you want to learn about Bezos.
Giovanni Zuniga
May 14, 2015 Giovanni Zuniga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really interesting because it is about the creation of the largest online store. This book also talks how a guy started selling books online. I would recommend this to people that are 17 years old because this is really long and has hard words.
Joseph Draschil
May 09, 2014 Joseph Draschil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography, you might enjoy this book on Jeff Bezos and Amazon. They're similar in style, if not in level of execution.

Enjoyable read for me, at least.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 12 Jan 28, 2016 01:20AM
  • I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • Google Speaks: Secrets of the Worlds Greatest Billionaire Entrepreneurs, Sergey Brin and Larry Page
  • Idea Man
  • Social Media Marketing for Dummies
  • Stealing MySpace: The Battle to Control the Most Popular Website in America
  • Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • The First Billion Is the Hardest: How Believing It's Still Early in the Game Can Lead to Life's Greatest Comebacks
  • The New Rules of Retail: Competing in the World's Toughest Marketplace
  • The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company
  • Digital Wars: Apple, Google, Microsoft and the Battle for the Internet
  • The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness
  • The Perfect Store: Inside eBay
  • The PayPal Wars: Battles with eBay, the Media, the Mafia, and the Rest of the Planet Earth
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • My Start-Up Life: What a (Very) Young CEO Learned on His Journey Through Silicon Valley
  • Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald's
  • The Second Coming of Steve Jobs

“His goal (Bezos's)was not just to make browsing for books easy, but an enjoyable experience. “People don’t just buy books because they need books,” he has said. “There are products like that. Pharmaceuticals are that way. Nobody enjoys browsing the Preparation H counter. But people will gladly spend hours in a bookstore, so you have to make the shopping experience fun and engaging.” 5 likes
“... physical bookstores will become ever-nicer places to be. They are going to have more sofas, better lattes, nicer people working there. Good bookstores are the community centres of the 20th century.” 3 likes