Start by marking “Chopsticks” as Want to Read:
Chopsticks

Chopsticks (Utensils)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,603 Ratings  ·  319 Reviews
Meet Chopsticks! They've been best friends forever. But one day, this inseparable pair comes to a fork in the road. And for the very first time, they have to figure out how to function apart. From New York Times best-selling author Amy Krouse Rosenthal and rising artistic talent Scott Magoon, this witty and inventive tale celebrates both independence and the unbreakable bo ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Hyperion Books

Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettAnd Then It's Spring by Julie FoglianoGreen by Laura Vaccaro SeegerThis is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce
2013 Mock Caldecott
21st out of 97 books — 242 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsBark, George by Jules FeifferClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsI Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Favorite Funny Story Time Picture Books
50th out of 202 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Marcos
Jun 12, 2012 Crystal Marcos rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Chopsticks was even better than Spoon! I enjoyed both books and own the first. I read this in a bookstore and I will be adding it to my collection. The story and illustrations were clever, humorous, and charming. I smiled and giggled the whole time I read it. I can't wait to read this to my daughter. I know she will adore it too. I love the lesson taught here. A story about a deeply bonded pair of chopsticks who find out how to discover the world on their own. They are strong together and just a ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jul 10, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who liked Spoon; anyone who uses chopsticks on occasion, or any utensils
Recommended to Lisa by: Crystal Marcos
Well, I enjoyed Spoon so I thought I’d try this book.

It’s delightful and whimsical, and its message, of standing on one’s own and still sticking together, while told blatantly, is told with such joy & verve & fun that really it’s just an entertaining story. The pictures, with the expressiveness of the various utensils, are perfect. And at the end of the book, the chopsticks pair plays chopsticks on the piano. So cute!

Recommended to all looking for a good friendship story, and those who
David
Apr 23, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Chopsticks by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Scott Magoon, is a hilarious companion to Spoon with even more kitchen implements and a focus on friendship and independence.

Magoon's illustrations are brilliant: clear, expressive, and cute without being "cutesy." The protrayal of the many puns is perfect: "whisked away" by a kitchen whisk, or "just plain stumped" standing on a wooden chopping block. Clever illustrations also abound, such as the medicine cabinet as the hospital, and pole vaulti
Paul  Hankins
Chopsticks do everything together. Noe of the other utensils have ever seen them apart. They have mastered just about every move chopsticks can master. But one day, an advanced move with a piece of asparagus leaves one of the friends with a injury.

First, you have to love that the "hospital" for these utensils is the medicine cabinet, delightfully rendered by Scott Magoon.

During the time that his friend needs to mend (his convalescence takes place in the chopsticks wrapper), the other chopstick
Kathryn
Aug 20, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Such fun! Very witty and with a sweet message, I appreciated this story about two chopsticks who do everything together until one of the chopsticks is injured and has to recover. What will the other chopstick do without its best friend at its side!? It's nice to see that their continued friendship is still celebrated, but that they also learn that it can be fun to break away and do things on your own, or with a new group of friends, sometimes, too. The illustrations are delightfully detailed and ...more
Zianh
Oct 07, 2015 Zianh rated it it was amazing
I liked
Great pictures and colors sweet
and funny because the chopsticks people and speaks.
i loved the message that the chopsticks wanted each other to be happy.
Roua
Oct 07, 2015 Roua rated it it was amazing
I like the story because it is enjoyable , And I like the picture because it is beautiful and fantasy concept for children .
Junghyun Yoon
Oct 07, 2015 Junghyun Yoon rated it really liked it
I think this book have easy story and it can be help reading fast also have picture It can be help understand story and have easy sentence It can be help understand mainstory.
Naoki
Oct 07, 2015 Naoki rated it really liked it
This book have good story and easy to understand. And I like interesting ideas using cooking appliance. And I like this book's picture because it's cool.
Heidi
A funny companion to "Spoon," and one I did not expect to go where it did. Too many parts that I loved to list them all, but I highly recommend reading the book and looking for all the little pieces of humor. Some may be over the kids' heads. If you help point out to school-age they may get it. And maybe a preschooler would be with it, too. But best in lap-reads and read-alones so they can catch it all. Too much would be missed in a storytime setting. It could still work, but my favorite pieces ...more
Afnan
Oct 07, 2015 Afnan rated it it was amazing
I do not like fanciful story but this story was nice because the images funny and short story.
namhee
Oct 07, 2015 namhee rated it really liked it
I like this book because this book has big pictures and easy words. and the story was very cute. chopsticks can speak, hear,thinking and play I like it. and chopsticks friendship is stronger I think their are good friend.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Mar 04, 2013 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Randie by: Kathryn
Chopsticks are great friends, they do everything together...until, snap! they are forced to take a break. Can chopsticks do anything apart? Through courage and exploration, they learn that being independent and enjoying things on their own actually makes them a stronger pair. A great message that can be applied to other relationships. Illustrations and text are full of humor and inside jokes.
Shannon
Sep 03, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
As someone who had a limited pool of friends growing up, and was totally at a loss of what to do when I was separated from them, this book was spot on for me.

Read for WCCPBA http://www.wlma.org/wccpba
MrsMitchell
Oct 07, 2015 MrsMitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2015
This book is so cute!!! I loved the fun, playful pictures and the whole idea that the chopsticks (and other utensils) were alive and acting like people! I also thought the word play was very cute and fun! Most of all, I loved the message that the chopsticks wanted each other to be happy, and that when they spent time alone to grow as individuals, their friendship got stronger too!
This story makes me think of my best friends who live far away, and how even though it's hard to be separated, we are
Michele Knott
I loved this book! The Chopsticks do everything together - and you have to really look at the pictures to see how elaborately they work together - holding a side plank while picking up a sushi roll, holding hands to twirl around in a cup of tea, karate chop an asparagus.... but then the unthinkable happens and one of the Chopsticks breaks!!! He gets "whisked" (you have to see the picture....) off to the hospital where his "break" is set. But then he is told to rest. The other Chopstick doesn't l ...more
Kristen
Swoon! OK, I admit to having a huge author crush on Amy Krouse Rosenthal (or AK Ro, as I like to call her) and Chopsticks delighted me from the moment I picked it up.

The two chopsticks do everything together, until one accidentally breaks its tip. (It's whisked away - by a whisk - to the bathroom cabinet to be bandaged back up.) While the one chopstick heals, the other one gets a chance to try being independent, and when both chopsticks are strong enough to pick up and go, they find that spendi
Mard
Oct 07, 2015 Mard rated it it was amazing
This book is so interesting because this chopsticks how can I used how many great new things they showing them
2.i never know that it can be a lot of things with chopsticks and also whimsical ideas
3.the book shows a strong friendship
4.the chopstick learn he can do any thing.
Roberto Bautista
Oct 07, 2015 Roberto Bautista rated it really liked it
The first I put 4 stars is because I love books.

The second that the books was interesting that is the life of a few friends with problems and overcoming them.

The third reason is that talk of two friends spent a very long history.
Stephanie
Apr 14, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This was Amaya's choice from today's library visit. It was pretty cute. Lots of cheesy puns for the grown folks, and a fun, quirky story for the toddler. Good message, cool illustrations, sweet find.
Noorulhuda
Oct 07, 2015 Noorulhuda rated it it was amazing
Ilove this story,because the picture was fun,and is showes me how nice they work together with the best freinds,and it is nice when the copstick want the other chopstick to do some thing fun with out him.
Mario
Oct 07, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing
I like the book because it speaks of two chopsticks that are funny.After some of chopsticks is that broke and then comes the doctor who was a blender and is very funny.

Mohammad
Oct 07, 2015 Mohammad rated it really liked it
I liked it because the pictures was sweet.I like this story because I love it.And how the Chopsticks love each other. Anyway I did not like that the story was fictional.
Dolly
Jun 26, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have enjoyed reading Amy Krouse Rosenthal's books and I was excited to see a book about chopsticks. We loved the word play in the story and our girls groaned at some of the corny jokes. I loved the message about being strong individually as well as part of a team or pair. It was fun to see the characters from Spoon return and we loved the illustrations. Overall, we really enjoyed reading this story together.
Abdul
Oct 07, 2015 Abdul rated it really liked it
Kaitlyn Phipps
Nov 15, 2015 Kaitlyn Phipps rated it really liked it
Chopsticks is a story of two great friends who do everything together. One day, one chopstick becomes injured and the other stays by his side, but the injured chopsticks tells him that he should enjoy some time doing things on his own. At first it is difficult to adjust to, but he discovers it isn't so bad after all.

One activity that I would like to do with a book such as this is having kids practice using chopsticks as a hands on experience. First, I would model how to use them and then give t
Tiffany Fox
Jun 27, 2015 Tiffany Fox rated it really liked it
Chopsticks is a very fun and pun oriented tale of a pair of chopsticks until one day one of them gets broken. He is "whisked" away and sends the other chopstick out to grow and see whats out there on his own.

I love Scott Magoon's wonderful artwork and trying to look for all the hidden puns. Not only are there chopsticks and whisks present but all of the utensils are. An example of this can be seen on the front cover. A spoon on the left top cover saying not exactly a sequel to Spoon, more like a
Barbara
Jun 13, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Filled with clever wordplay and visual humor ("Chopstick was quickly whisked away") that shows him being carried off by a whisk, this clever picture book explores what happens when two chopsticks who are always together are separated after one has been injured. As he heals, the other chopstick goes off on his own with a gentle nudge from his friend. The digital art and the positive message about standing on your own while also standing with others are excellent for readers to consider.
Jackie
Mar 15, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Chopsticks do everything together...until the big break! Oh NO! Chopstick will have to lay low until his break heals (glue dries completely). Chopstick encourages chopstick to get out on his own and venture out. Chopstick is reluctant at first, but soon finds plenty of things to do until Chopstick is healed completely!

A fun story about friendship, healing, and taking time for oneself.

Great to use for any kid going off to the hospital.
Carly Wesley
Apr 30, 2014 Carly Wesley rated it it was amazing
a book written after the book Spoon.
A book about chopsticks. They do everything together, one day one got injured trying to pick up an asparagus. That one chopstick has to recover. What will the other chopstick do without the other?

This book has a lesson that it is okay to break through the group. Some parts I feel young kids won’t really understand so an adult may have to explain the underlying meaning to the some lesson encompassed in the story. It is not just a story about a utensil, it is
  • Boy + Bot

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is.
She divides her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a person who likes to make things.
Some things she likes to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something out of nothing. (see above)

A longt
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...

Utensils (2 books)