Start by marking “An Awesome Book!” as Want to Read:
An Awesome Book!

An Awesome Book! (Awesome Book)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  619 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Based on the simple concept of dreaming big, An Awesome Book! is the inspiring debut work of Los Angeles writer/artist Dallas Clayton. Written in the vein of classic imaginative tales, it is a sure hit for all generations, young and old.
Published March 27th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about An Awesome Book!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Awesome Book!

Rachel
Jan 12, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book IS awesome. Very inspiring for any age. Never stop dreaming.
Amy
Aug 25, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an adult, I really enjoyed this book - I liked the story line very much. My two children, ages six and four, however, did not understand it well and were asking a lot of questions. My four-year-old seemed to like the illustrations and would giggle as I'd point out the silliness of the pictures (rockets on unicorns) and my six-year-old would smirk at these as well but had a very quizzical look throughout my reading. "Momma, how can dreams die?" A nice teaching opportunity on my part but I also ...more
Sarah Yehia
Jun 04, 2012 Sarah Yehia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
More Than Amazing Book ....
It`s All About Dreams .. Big Big Dreams :)

So please my child, do keep in mind before you go to bed;
To Dream a dream as BIG as BIG could ever DREAM to be;
Then dream a DREAM ten times as big as that dream you see;
Then once you have got that dream in mind, please dream a million more;
And not a million quiet dreams, a million dream that ROAR.
Becky
Read this online for free here: http://www.veryawesomeworld.com/aweso... (Thanks StumbleUpon!)

So, yeah, this was OK. Just OK, really. Very colorful, but nothing really exceptional. Just an exercise in thinking up the most whimsical scenarios possible, and fitting them into rhyme, with full color illustrations to match, with a moral to not lose the whimsy of childhood's imagination and whatnot. You know, "Dream Big!"

That's all well and good. Right now, I'm imagining a purple polka-dotted Beluga
Dolly
Oct 08, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2012
We saw a commercial about this book while we were watching the Redskins play today, so I pulled out my handy iPad and checked it out online. It's a fun book about dreaming and using your imagination. The rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are colorful and quirky. I read this book on my own and then I read it again with our girls. They really liked it and want to read more of the books by Dallas Clayton.
Themistokeles
Dec 31, 2015 Themistokeles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ich gebe ehrlich zu, dass ich dieses Buch ziemlich gruselig finde. Betrachtet man nur das Cover, mag es ja noch wie ein einladendes Kinderbuch wirken und auch die Machart lässt schnell darauf schließen, dass es sich um ein Kinderbuch handelt, da die Buchdeckel bei Druck leicht nachgeben, vermutlich also auch recht haltbar sind. Aber abgesehen davon, dass das Buch echt gut produziert wurde, finde ich es grausam.

Die Zeichnungen sind in meinen Augen einfach schlecht. Man könnte jetzt denken, dass s
yexxo
Aug 18, 2015 yexxo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Ungewöhnlich dick wirkt der grüne Einband, fast schon hätte ich erwartet, dass er wattiert wäre oder so etwas in der Art. So ist er aber auf jeden Fall für kleine Kinderhände gut zu greifen und aufzuschlagen (und für große Erwachsenenhände erst recht ;-)). Das Buch ist an das Kind des Autors gerichtet mit der Bitte, so viel und so toll zu träumen wie nur möglich. Denn zu viele Menschen, vor allem die Erwachsenen, haben es bereits aufgegeben - dabei sind Träume so WICHTIG!
Grundsätzlich ist diese
Sarah Farmer
Jun 05, 2012 Sarah Farmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband just ordered this book to add to our son's collection. I sat down and thumbed through it and have to say that I really enjoyed it. The art is fun and imaginative, and the message about always dreaming big is really important. Plus there are rocket powered unicorns. Yea, I was pretty much sold after that gem.
Paul  Hankins
Ladder this one up with Susan V. Bosak's DREAM.

I like the overall quirk factor of this one paired with it's message. Brave concept out there for younger and older readers. I think this one is really designed to be shared.
Marissa
Mar 27, 2012 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much! It has such a sweet message and it's colorful and fun for kids to look at. Definitely one of our favorites!
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: At first she thought it was babyish, but then when the book transitioned from describing dreams to what to do with your dreams, she liked it.

Adult Reader Reaction: Bright, fun, uplifting. This is part bedtime story, part graduation gift. It reminded me of Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss. The sentiment is timeless and ageless.

Pros: Everyone of all ages can enjoy this special book about the power of thinking big.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Katie
Dec 19, 2015 Katie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High School English Teachers
Shelves: pb, st-high-school
I'm pretty torn on this one. It's a fun idea with some crazy, silly illustrations, but it has a vibe of "adult problems" throughout. It's message is "dream big," but there's a hint of "growing up/grownups are bad" scolding going on that I'm not a fan of.

I wanted to use it for an kindergarten story time, but I actually think it'd fit better with high school students, who would understand both the positives and negatives expressed in this books. The illustrations and simple, poetic lines would mak
Samara
WOW, it seems that so many of you (adults) have given up dreaming!
How droll! It's not really up to adults to review a kids book and say "Uh, well GROW UP and stop dreaming because bills and real life" that's kind of the opposite intention of the book. Somehow books can take you to magical lands and we accept it but a book can tell children to "KEEP DREAMING" and dream big, and everyone roars "Be realistic," thankfully there are still children in the world. Young and old, and we see a wonderful,
Amy Adams
I once read that Charles Schultz used to love to draw tiny things in sets of three. This book kind of reminds me of that. I wouldn't call the illustrations good, particularly. But, they are absolutely fascinating. I like that they're not perfect, and I love that there are so many tiny things! This is a great book to share or to read to yourself or to just look at the pictures of the rocket-powered unicorns.
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I am not sure what to make of this book.

If rating for children reading, I'd be likely to rate lower as I'm not sure if kids would get it.

If rating for adult reading, I might rate it higher as adults would get it.

That said, I enjoyed the message of dreaming big. On the other hand, I never feel comfortable when that type of message is accompanied by the idea that someone is 'responsible' for also dreaming for those 'whose dreams have died' and/or 'those who have never tried'. NO ONE should be resp
Hilda
One beautiful book about dreams :') I should get one for myself!

"And if they say that all your dreams are too big to come true, you tell them that I told you... `That's what dreams are meant to do! They're meant to make you seem as if you don't know up from down. Because dreams are dreams and that's why dreams are worth having around!`"

Thank you, Mr. Awesome Writer! I needed that :')
Margaret
I could have sworn I already wrote down my thoughts on this book, but I cannot seem to find it, so I'll tell you again. Dallas Clayton has a vivid imagination and the talent to get it on the page to share with others. An Awesome Book and it looks like those that will come after it are different and here to challenge our kiddos. Think outside the box and do not be afraid to challenge yourself to be who you are. Dream big dreams, dream little dreams, dream dreams that matter and dreams that don't. ...more
Lauren
Oct 24, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
A very colorful and imaginative book that encourages the reader to dream big and often. Dreams are an important part of our lives as a place to be free to create as we like. Dreams inspire us to live. Without them we "lose all possibility of thinking super things." I could see this book being part of STEAM - through our imagination great innovations occur.
Nicole Maendel
Apr 30, 2014 Nicole Maendel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome colorful and super inspiring book to encourage kids (and adults) to always dream big! The illustrations are as fun and imaginative as the words. Perfect gift for any child---one for the home book shelf too. A much needed message in today's world.
Chrissy
Mar 19, 2014 Chrissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 2.5-year-old daughter makes me read this book repeatedly, and I'm so glad she does, because it truly is AWESOME. It's about dreaming big and using your imagination to its greatest potential. It makes me cry every time! I highly recommend it for people of all ages!
Caity
Jun 11, 2016 Caity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really lives up to the title, it is a totally awesome book about the importance of dreaming big. The illustrations are very unique and fun as they show many different things you can dream about.
Wooden Horse
"A little book about dreaming big"

I really like the thoughts contained in this book. It begs to be read aloud and shared. The little guy I read it to kept his eye on the illustrations which are atypical.
The Styling Librarian
An Awesome Book! by Dallas Clayton – The book that began his career… such a celebration of imagination and hope for the future of all people… interesting and thought challenging.
Miriam
Dec 30, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Along with the awesome book of love, I was gifted this for christmas and I adore this book so much! A book about dreaming big... and I just thought this one made sense.
Teresa Appelwick
Teach your children that life is more than matching silverware, a new car and the coolest TV show. Give your children freedom to have passion, ideas and dreams...
The Brothers
Jan 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: dreams, imagination
I'm really not sure what to say about this book. It's not really a narrative of anything, but just the author encouraging readers to dream big.

The illustrations are very engaging.
Rowan
Jun 28, 2015 Rowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
I love Dallas Clayton and so does Rowan. This book is quirky and the art is cute but not amazing, but the overlying message is never give up on your dreams, which I think is very important.
Rebecca Martin
Nov 25, 2012 Rebecca Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dreams, imagination
One reason why I love this book so much is because it is written by a dad originally for his son. He wrote and illustrated the book. I think that is inspiring and I would tell my students his story before I read the book to them. I would let my students know that they can also publish their own books if they put their minds to it. I would then allow my students to begin writing and illustrating their own books. When there is down time or if they finish an assignment early they could continue to ...more
Tam
Jul 15, 2014 Tam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 6-year-old enjoyed this book. The illustrations offered opportunities to talk about them but in doing so I often forgot the story.

It starts, "There are places in the world where people do not dream . . . of rocket-powered unicorns (turn the page) and candy cane machines (turn the page) of magic watermelon boats (turn the page) and musical baboons."

Every page has something you can talk about. For example, the page with rocket-powered unicorns has a variety of unicorns with different accessorie
Cmeiss330
Apr 26, 2016 Cmeiss330 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Dallas Clayton's work. It's very whimsical and sweet and the rhymes are great!
  • The Cloud Spinner
  • Plant a Kiss
  • Petunia Goes Wild
  • My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives
  • What To Do If an Elephant Stands On Your Foot
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
  • I Like Old Clothes
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • The Conductor
  • The Art of Miss Chew
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • Naamah and the Ark at Night
  • C. R. Mudgeon
  • For Just One Day
  • It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
  • A Leaf Can Be...

Dallas Clayton is an author, illustrator, public speaker, mural painter, and adventure seeker.

When he is not busy writing books (for children of all ages), touring the world, painting on buildings, or climbing trees, he is generally trying find happiness and share it with others.
More about Dallas Clayton...

Awesome Book (3 books)
  • An Awesome Book of Love!
  • An Awesome Book of Thanks

“Instead they dream of furniture
Of buying a new hat
Of owning matching silverware
Could you imagine that?

Yes there are places in the world
Where dreams are almost dead
So please my child do keep in mind
Before you go to bed

To dream a dream as big
As big could ever dream to be
Then dream a dream ten times as big
As that one dream you see

Please dream for those who’ve given up
For those who’ve never tried
Please use your dream to make new dreams
For all the dreams that died

So when you think your dreaming’s done
Just remember what I said
‘Close your eyes my child and dream
That perfect dream inside your head.”
15 likes