Start by marking “Cruel Kings and Mean Queens (Horrible Histories)” as Want to Read:
Cruel Kings and Mean Queens (Horrible Histories)

Cruel Kings and Mean Queens (Horrible Histories)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  28 reviews
From William the Conker to Bald Queen Bess, this is a guide to the kings and queens of England, and some of their nastiest habits.
Published December 31st 1995 by Scholastic Hippo (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Cruel Kings and Mean Queens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruel Kings and Mean Queens

Aly is so frigging bored
One of the best books EVER!
Did/Do you know:
-which king told such big lies that he started to believe them himself?(view spoiler)
-all King Henry the VIII-th wives were related with each other?
-what
Vera
Wildly entertaining book full of anecdotes about British kings and queens. Crazy information with fun illustrations. Bought it on a trip to England way back when. For those not really into history--> it provides a good introduction without being heavy.
Bobi
Oct 05, 2014 Bobi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students, kids, Horribable Histories fans
Cruel Kings and Mean Queens is super cool edition to your Horrible Histories collection.

The book is about England's monarchy, which begins with William I and ends the book with Elizabeth II. For every ruler are written facts about him, which are horrible, gory, funny and interesting - Elizabeth II's oldest son has married to woman, that has kinship with four of Henry VIII's wives or the fact that George IV has been so fat when he have died, that he couldn't fit in his ark. Also after the end of
Donna
I loved the Horrible Histories series when I was a kid. They're great, really making history interesting and accesible for the younger generations.
Christine Ummel  Hosler
Back in 1993, a British bloke called Terry Deary had an ingenious idea: write history books for kids but edit all the boring stuff out. Since then, his Horrible Histories have become a U.K. publishing success story. My husband and I brought a bunch of them back from a trip to England, but it’s easy to find used copies online in the United States.

My daughter’s favorite is "Cruel Kings and Mean Queens." From William the Conqueror to Elizabeth II, this book dishes the dirt: James I picking his nose
Sara
E va ben, io ho un debole per i libretti di Horrible Histories. Sono scritti per i ragazzini (inglesi), ma intanto insegnano cose serie e seppure battano sempre su quelle più truci, disgustose e truculente, si tratta comunque di verità. Dopo le biografie di Shakespeare, Elisabetta I, Enrico VIII, Cleopatra e altri volumi della collana su Inghilterra e Stati Uniti, a Londra ne ho presi altri due, non meno simpatici. Il punto forte sono le vignette e gli stralci (inventati, ovvio) dei quotidiani d ...more
Amy
Overall, an interesting read.

The book is arranged chronologically by monarch. Each monarch is named, dates served are provided along with the nickname of the monarch. Next there are headings entitled "Claim to Fame" and "Cruel King" or "Cruel Queen" with factual information provided under each. There are "Foul Facts", "Funny Facts" and "Fantastic Facts" sprinkled throughout.

At the beginning of the book is a Family Tree, there are quizzes, pencil drawings, and other brief histories relating to th
Ayushi
Awesome read. This book doesn't have a single dull moment. This book presents English rulers from William "the conker" to Elizabeth II "Lizzie the last" in a really funny way. The book has something unflattering to say about all rulers except Charles II(really, could you expect him to behave anything but nicely after the way his father (Charles I) got the chop?)
Theodore Murphy
This is a great non-fiction book which tells you all about the kings and queens of Europe in an amusing way. A great way to inform yourself without having to sit through millions of history lessons!
Janna
Good book to learn history, however the author should have been more specific and said where they ruled each time their name came up as it would say for example...
King George V(blah blah blah)
King George l ...
Duke blah blah
etc.
It confused me a little bit so it would have been nice to know who exactly he was talking about.
(My knowledge in history isn't very thou rough.)
Hayden
This has to be the most dull book of the series, a big let down.
Abraham Ray
great book of english kings and queens
Zoe
It was really cool.
Sean Cameron
As a kid this was my favourite Horrible Histories book. In fact it was my favourite history book. It profiles every English King and Queen since 1066 and let's you know all their dastardly deeds. Not much dirt on the current reign but a great look at how horrid a history the royal institution has. I wish every British child got to read this.
Carmen
A funny quirky book about all the terrible things that British kings and queens have done. Some of them are tongue in cheek, like a previous Diana Spencer, not the one who died in 1997, who turned down the prince when he asked her to marry him, and a story about the prince who asked to die by drowning in a vat of wine.
Nayantara
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Dana Suaifan
Its a great read...
Deborah
I bought this in England this summer on a family vacation, to get my kids interested in the history. It really held my kids' interest. In fact, I wish we had picked up more of the series!
Kathleen
This is silly and occasionally wrong, but a highly entertaining introduction to the kings and queens of England. Good for kids.
Capnniknak
Made me laugh out. Very funny. Full of fascinating facts and I love the illustrations by Kate Sheppard.
Sage
BEST HISTORY BOOK EVER! i got it at a used book store and it's awesome! so funny, you learn so much...
KitKat Chat
great fu and very informative about kings and queens from scottish and english past .
Hannah
A fun and entertaining read. A very enjoyable way to learn about this topic.
Victoria
Another Terry Deary Classic - bringing history and humour to the masses.
Judith Irvine
Fascinating stuff. Didn't take me long to read!
Tammi
Very funny and humorous as usual ^^
Ayla
Really creative way to teach history
Bethany
Bethany is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2014
Jemma
Jemma marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Ugly Bugs
  • Dziewczyna i chłopak czyli heca na 14 fajerek
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Wakacje z duchami
  • Niesamowity Dwór
  • Calling the Shots (Angels Unlimited, #4)
  • Ida sierpniowa (Jeżycjada, #4)
  • Karolcia
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Felix, Net i Nika oraz Pałac Snów (Felix, Net i Nika, #3)
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
  • Хитър Петър
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...
The Groovy Greeks The Awesome Egyptians The Rotten Romans The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories) The Terrible Tudors