Start by marking “Anticopernicus” as Want to Read:
Anticopernicus

Anticopernicus

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A brief novel by the author of "Yellow Blue Tibia" and "New Model Army". 4-chapters in total; only available for e-purchase.

First contact: despite our cosmic littleness, the aliens have come to visit. But they have parked their interstellar craft on the outskirts of the solar system, and despite friendly interaction (their English if fluent and idiomatic) they will come no
Published July 15th 2011 by Ancaster Books

To ask other readers questions about Anticopernicus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anticopernicus

Liviu
I finished Adam Roberts Anticopernicus his self-published "dwarf novel" which is 99c on Amazon and similar on Amazon.uk; also available on Wizard Tower if you want an epub

At 15k words I would estimate about 40 print pages, but Anticopernicus reads like a true novel and it has enough stuff to satisfy; a story of first contact including a clever "explanation" of the Fermi paradox and dark energy with the title hinting at what those are, but being Adam Roberts, the strength are style, characters an
Nikki
Anticopernicus is a cheap short story/novella about first contact, with some intriguing differences between humans and potential other human races, and some interesting speculation about current science. It's pretty well written: despite my science-stupid brain, I could follow the story quite easily, even though it's playing with things we don't actually understand.

For a short story, it's absorbing, complete in itself, and worth thinking about, which is pretty much all I ask from a short story.
Tudor Ciocarlie
In less than 50 pages, this first contact story feels more like an accomplished novel than many 1000 page books.
Diana
Adam Roberts' witty and fluid style carries this sci-fi novella, his first foray into self-publishing, as he describes on his website. The introduction is a sprightly tour of current scientific thought about the physics of the universe, quantum theory, the mystery of dark matter, and the strangeness of time at micro- and macro-scales. When reading this, I squawked to myself "where's the fiction?!" Patience. It starts in the next chapter, and bears a tenuous relationship to the introduction, in t ...more
Jay Daze
This is a long short story, a novella that has the tight focused flavour of classic sf - before the bloat. I was sort of expecting not to have the encounter at all but when it happened there was enough of an interesting idea that I didn't mind. The female main character is almost a meta-commentary on the older male sf characters - I like the psychology used to create this modern version.

I read this as a part of the Writer and Critic Podcast on self-published ebooks (episode 24)and, apart from "
Fionna
A short novel from one of my favourite authors, available only as an ebook, and well worth reading. As he usually does, Roberts takes one central idea from science fiction, and explores it. In this case, it is the Fermi paradox, which he manages to solve in the most original way I've yet heard of, along the way overturning Copernicus.
Tom Loock
Recommended for science fiction readers who are into "big ideas". Well written, but since I read this immediately after Yellow Blue Tibia, which I rated 5 stars, not that much to my taste.
Miles
Quite short, but then it was also 99 cents. I read and enjoy this author's blog, so I decided to get the book on my Kindle. The story was interesting and the prose occasionally pretty great (and otherwise good).

I'm not sure yet if this one will stick with me, but it just might.
Karl Steel
Dave
This is a small book about the loneliness and inconsequence of life, told in the frame of a SF first contact story. It's a satire of our meaninglessness and the meaning of meaning.
Danyel Lawson
I like the fresh ideas about universes and reality. It puts the fi back in the sci or does it ... ?
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
A. L.
A. L. marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Tehani
Tehani marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Reda
Reda added it
Jan 14, 2015
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Navin
Navin marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Anorhi Demarche
Anorhi Demarche marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the
More about Adam Roberts...
Jack Glass Yellow Blue Tibia By Light Alone Stone The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again