Start by marking “Anticopernicus” as Want to Read:
Anticopernicus

Anticopernicus

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A brief novel by the author of "Yellow Blue Tibia" and "New Model Army". 4-chapters in total; only available for e-purchase.

First contact: despite our cosmic littleness, the aliens have come to visit. But they have parked their interstellar craft on the outskirts of the solar system, and despite friendly interaction (their English if fluent and idiomatic) they will come no
Published July 15th 2011 by Ancaster Books

To ask other readers questions about Anticopernicus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anticopernicus

Liviu
I finished Adam Roberts Anticopernicus his self-published "dwarf novel" which is 99c on Amazon and similar on Amazon.uk; also available on Wizard Tower if you want an epub

At 15k words I would estimate about 40 print pages, but Anticopernicus reads like a true novel and it has enough stuff to satisfy; a story of first contact including a clever "explanation" of the Fermi paradox and dark energy with the title hinting at what those are, but being Adam Roberts, the strength are style, characters an
Nikki
Anticopernicus is a cheap short story/novella about first contact, with some intriguing differences between humans and potential other human races, and some interesting speculation about current science. It's pretty well written: despite my science-stupid brain, I could follow the story quite easily, even though it's playing with things we don't actually understand.

For a short story, it's absorbing, complete in itself, and worth thinking about, which is pretty much all I ask from a short story.
Tudor Ciocarlie
Aug 08, 2011 Tudor Ciocarlie rated it it was amazing
In less than 50 pages, this first contact story feels more like an accomplished novel than many 1000 page books.
Diana
Aug 18, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it
Adam Roberts' witty and fluid style carries this sci-fi novella, his first foray into self-publishing, as he describes on his website. The introduction is a sprightly tour of current scientific thought about the physics of the universe, quantum theory, the mystery of dark matter, and the strangeness of time at micro- and macro-scales. When reading this, I squawked to myself "where's the fiction?!" Patience. It starts in the next chapter, and bears a tenuous relationship to the introduction, in t ...more
Jay Daze
Oct 23, 2012 Jay Daze rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, ebook
This is a long short story, a novella that has the tight focused flavour of classic sf - before the bloat. I was sort of expecting not to have the encounter at all but when it happened there was enough of an interesting idea that I didn't mind. The female main character is almost a meta-commentary on the older male sf characters - I like the psychology used to create this modern version.

I read this as a part of the Writer and Critic Podcast on self-published ebooks (episode 24)and, apart from "
Fionna
Jan 22, 2012 Fionna rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, 2012-reads
A short novel from one of my favourite authors, available only as an ebook, and well worth reading. As he usually does, Roberts takes one central idea from science fiction, and explores it. In this case, it is the Fermi paradox, which he manages to solve in the most original way I've yet heard of, along the way overturning Copernicus.
Tom Loock
Jul 01, 2012 Tom Loock rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, ebook
Recommended for science fiction readers who are into "big ideas". Well written, but since I read this immediately after Yellow Blue Tibia, which I rated 5 stars, not that much to my taste.
Miles
Jul 22, 2011 Miles rated it liked it
Quite short, but then it was also 99 cents. I read and enjoy this author's blog, so I decided to get the book on my Kindle. The story was interesting and the prose occasionally pretty great (and otherwise good).

I'm not sure yet if this one will stick with me, but it just might.
Karl Steel
May 22, 2012 Karl Steel rated it really liked it
Dave
Sep 11, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it
This is a small book about the loneliness and inconsequence of life, told in the frame of a SF first contact story. It's a satire of our meaninglessness and the meaning of meaning.
Danyel Lawson
Sep 04, 2013 Danyel Lawson rated it it was amazing
I like the fresh ideas about universes and reality. It puts the fi back in the sci or does it ... ?
Guy C. Miller
Guy C. Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Mandy-Suzanne Wong
Mandy-Suzanne Wong marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Toby Keymer
Toby Keymer marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Chris Nielsen
Chris Nielsen rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2016
Colin Douglas
Colin Douglas rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Joe Lewis-bowen
Joe Lewis-bowen rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Ian Taylor
Ian Taylor rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2016
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Adrienne L.
Adrienne L. marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Lance Roberts
Lance Roberts rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Guy T. Martland
Guy T. Martland rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
John Mathews
John Mathews marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Colin Grove
Colin Grove rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Ben Gidley
Ben Gidley rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the
More about Adam Roberts...