Start by marking “Escape: The true story of the only Westerner ever to break out of Thailand's Bangkok Hilton” as Want to Read:

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Among the 600 foreigners jailed in the 'Bangkok Hilton', one man resolves to do what no other has done: Escape. This is the true story of drug smuggler David McMillan's perilous break-out from Thailand's most notorious prison. After more than a year in prison and two weeks before a near-certain death sentence, McMillan escapes, never to be seen in Thailand again.
Published April 15th 2007 by Monsoon Books Pte. Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape

Carene Muller
So I've given up on this one. I found that I couldn't get into it and it made me not wanna read. I'm not sure what it was, not a bad story and still curious how he escapes but I don't know if I'll ever find out, plain and simple I found it quite boring. Maybe one day I'll try and pick it up but for the moment on to better books.
♥ Marlene♥
Well in the beginning I did like the book cause he told us about how he was caught and the first months in the prison. Even then I did not like the narrator that much but he got worse further in the book.
Then I also got confused with all the names and I cannot count the times I had to do a search for a name. Glad you can search with a kindle)

When the book got downhill was when he started to tell about what happened before he was caught. OMG very badly writing, very confusing. Apparently he thoug
Cassie
The way it is written is very hard to get into and sometimes hard to follow, which can be frustrating. It's taking me longer to read than it would usually because of this. I want to find out the full story though so I am still reading it.
James Cridland
Read on the Kindle, this book suffered from some layout bugs which meant it was difficult sometimes to quite follow what was going on: scene changes flowed on from previous paragraphs without a single break, jumping from the present to past in a very confusing manner.

The book itself is fascinating, giving a peek inside a Thai prison from someone who has, indeed, been there. You get a feeling of the atmosphere inside the jail: probably not as clear as I'd have liked, but interesting nonetheless.
Kate
Not fantastically written but interesting to learn about life in Bangkok Hilton and how the guy managed to escape. Wished I'd never bought it though as I didn't realise that the guy was actually a drug dealer; I thought he was innocent. This coloured my reading and I was on the side of the authorities rather than the author - obviously not condoning the appalling treatment of prisoners though!
Mandrake
Not a bad book. Interesting reading about the life in Bangkok Hilton.

Even with a prison sentence, if you have the money, you can still live relatively in a good condition.
A brilliant book about the escapades of David McMillan. I did find his writing style hard to read in parts, but a highly recommended read nevertheless!
Ciaran
not as good as a damage done by warren fellows
James Baker
Nov 28, 2007 James Baker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in people trappd in extreme situations
When you first pick up Escape you know that you are going to be in for a literary treat. David McMillan skilfully guides his reader through the arduous realities of a pan-continent drug smuggler who suddenly finds himself looking at a death sentence in Thailand's notorious Klong Prem prison.
Escape is, refreshingly, not a diatribe against the harsh Thai justice system. Instead the author offers an incomparable insight into the relationships, wit and fights for survival that occurs day in, day ou
Ross
I thought this book was very interesting, and exciting even. it tells the story of a Western man who is convicted of drug trafficking (heroin) through the Bangkok airport, and is captured, sent to Klong Prem; The notorious prison of Thailand commonly referred to as the Bangkok Hilton. McMillan takes the reader along his journey and experiences through prison life in Thailand, ranging from the everyday social activity with the inmates, to the abuse suffered from the prison patrol. The Story focus ...more
No Remorse
I could not stand the writing style, and all the jumping around. The book only gets good in the end when he actually escapes prison.

"It's like the alpha monkeys say, "Come, climb up our tree, you're welcome. Even more welcome when we push you off!" - David McMillan (Escape, Pg.35)

"Legs were the things that the prisoners had escaped upon so legs were what the prison guards took from Agarn and Benny when they were brought back to the jail. They were chained to a wall in a small cell and worked ove
Speedstar25
A nice story but poorly written.I find it extremely difficult to enter the story and the sequence was jumping up and down. I have read other jail stories like Hotel k, cocaine diaries and send them to hell. These books were much more well structured than this one. This book is just to hard to read for me.

Nevertheless, it's has still it's merit-An interesting story.
Interesting story but so so so so so poorly written.
Ollie
Boring and hard to read!
Zoe
Another book about the punishment passed out those who are stupid enough to smuggle heroin out of Thailand. Still cannot figure out ho his escape was never later punished. And I bet the guy who backed out of the escape kicked himself for years after!
Michal Dufek
The story was either not interesting or the writing was not catchy enough. I've read The Cocaine Diaries which holds the same topic-that book wouldn't let me sleep. In comparison, this book i hardly finished bcs i always fell asleep.
col
Read fifty pages then gave up.could not get into this book at all and didn't like it.
Zack Kibria
Was really hoping to like it and got about halfway through but due to too many characters and the poor way it was written I lost interest.
Nancy
Very interesting! A inside look at the minds and thoughts of prisoners in a foreign land. Another inside look at Thailand prisons.
Ruppim
A bit hard to follow what's going on due to the way it is written
Jo
Quite disjointed in writing, but an interesting insight.
Paul Jones
Excellent.
Vlada
Given up!
Kati Saikkonen
Kati Saikkonen marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • Clive Barker: The Dark Fantastic: The Authorized Biography
  • Bronson
  • To School Through The Fields
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Under The Eye of the Clock
  • Dinner With Mugabe: The Untold Story Of A Freedom Fighter Who Became A Tyrant
  • 44: Dublin Made Me
  • Behind the Veils of Yemen: How an American Woman Risked Her Life, Family, and Faith to Bring Jesus to Muslim Women
  • A Promise To Nadia
  • Tolkien: A Biography
  • Dear Me: A Letter To My Sixteen Year Old Self
  • The Hilliker Curse: My Pursuit of Women
  • Hellraisers: The Inebriated Life and Times of Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris & Oliver Reed
  • Slave Girl
  • An Evil Cradling
  • Why I Left the Amish
  • The Concubine of Shanghai
  • Tsukiji: The Fish Market at the Center of the World
The Art of Living According to Joe Beef: A Cookbook of Sorts McVillain: The Man Who Got Away Emotion Rituals: A Resource for Therapists and Clients Higher Product Design Course Notes Success Guide Standard Grade Craft and Design (Leckie)

“The Grace Hotel in Sukhumvit had been a magnet for tarts, double-bent cops, single-trippers, sub-orbital space cadets and those spring-necked noddies who spent their waking hours peering into the dark side of the spoon.” 2 likes