DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner

DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Build your way to a more self-sufficient lifestyle with step-by-step projects for backup and supplementary utilities--including independent water, heat, and electricity--growing and storing food, raising small livestock, beekeeping, and more. Many of the projects require basic materials available at your everyday home center, but this book also provides valuable DIY resour...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Creative Publishing International (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner

Jeanette Johnson
This book would make a great forewarning to a husband. "Honey, I'm interested in permaculture and here's all the things you're going to be building soon...".

It's a good idea book to get your feet wet; it's not comprehensive, but it is interesting.
Heydi Smith
Wonderful illustrations and step by step guide. Very easy to read and follow along. I enjoyed the instructions for building a top loading bee shelf. This book also contained several layouts for building green houses.
Abby
Practical, hands-on advice about how to build such things as chicken coops, rain barrels, compost bins, and raised beds. Lots of things we will surely attempt this spring! (The detail-oriented feminist in me also particularly liked that they showed women making lots of these carpentry-heavy things. Women can build greenhouses and coops and compost bins, too!)
Lori
Simple to read. Informative. But I have not actually tried anything yet.
Anita
A guide for building rain barrels, chicken coops, greenhouses, cold frames, etc. The projects looked fairly simple--okay not the solar heating ones--with good pictures, material lists, and explanations. I may even try one.
Michael Rizzo
A good beginning book for those who aren't the handiest. Projects include cold frame, hoop house, and a few others. Library it if your on a budget as once you've done a few of these projects it's utility will end.
Tessa
For a non-builder, this book was appealing to me as it was simple and had good photos to go with the instructions. The projects were pretty useful and several I may actually produce.
Kristen
Really precise and very clear instruction on a ton of different projects. I wish I had the room to make them all!
Martha Smith
25 ways to build a self-reliant lifestyle. This book is filled with step-by-step photographs.
Amanda
Good ideas, not all fit everyone, easy to pick a few out to make book worth buying though
Aspasia
Contains a variety of project ideas to fit various houses and budgets.
R
R marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Rachel Gall
Rachel Gall marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jason Sanford
Jason Sanford marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Heidi Vogt
Heidi Vogt marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
J M
J M marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Nicowhi01
Nicowhi01 marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014