Start by marking “The Ruthless Romans” as Want to Read:
The Ruthless Romans

The Ruthless Romans (Horrible Histories)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"Ruthless Romans" reveals the grim truth behind the greatest empire of all time - from the terrible twins who founded Rome to the evil emperors who made murder into a sport. Read on for the gory details about the cruel Colosseum and the people and animals who were massacred there.
Published July 18th 2003 by Hippo

To ask other readers questions about The Ruthless Romans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ruthless Romans

Uttam Singh
Bursting with interesting facts in a very child friendly style, the ‘Horrible Histories’ series is an unsurprising favourite with pupils.
This particular book, ‘Ruthless Romans’, entertainingly covers the commonly taught topic of Roman history, with the typically gruesome spin the series is known for. The authors in fact present the Romans as THE most ruthless group out of history compared to all others - which may be an interesting talk point to introduce the topic with.
The book contains a good
Kerry
As the title of the book suggests it is all about the Romans. The author of the book presents us with useful information on the founders of Rome, the medicine cures that they concocted, the evil emperors who ruled over Rome and the killings they inflicted on their people.

Personally have never really enjoyed the topic of History, however I found this book extremely easy to read and follow and even though it was very informative it did not ‘overload’ me with lots of information which could be dee
Kirsti
Interesting thesis: The Romans were the most horrible people of all time because (unlike the Aztecs and the Spanish Inquisition) they killed people for entertainment rather than for religious reasons or to stay alive themselves. So don't go on and on about how great they were just because they built nice straight roads.
Rachael Hewison
I was somewhat thrown by the title of this book. Did this replace Rotten Romans, is it a sequel? I had to google it to find out. It turns out it is a sequel.

It is yet another brilliant book from the Horrible Histories team, full of fascinating and gory facts. I keep picking up on the structure of Horrible Histories books in my reviews and I'm pleased to say that this one flows wonderfully with topics flowing into each other with ease. The epilogue was very well written and the quizzes were a lot
Izzi Seale
Loved these books as a kid and recently rediscovered this on my shelf. It's a short read and pack full of info.
Xerxes Anaximander Phoenixlight
Bored reading this unlike the other ones. He retained his humour though. Love the wisecracks!
Sally Walsh
Not my bag really but I do laugh out loud at the television programmes.
Catherine Woodman
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Alison Chan
This book is very interesting and humorous, and involves a lot information I never knew about Romans! I tells you all about history, and I would guess History classes are seriously boring, but you won't get bored or uninterested with it!
Carmen
The fun facts continue with this excerpt of the horrible histories series. The Romans were not all they were cracked up to be. Life has little or no value. One of the entertaining sections is called, "Lies my teacher told me."
Rohan
This is a great book. It is suitable for people who like horrible history and gruesome facts. Lots of factual information your teachers DON'T tell you. It is all true. For all appropriate people!!!!!!!
Abnoos
You are probably the best author in these series but seriously, you don't have to go all the way down with Christianity.
Tigerclaw
I thought this book was a great book how it made history fun. Loved the jokes but could be a bit gruesome at times
Jahnavi Jha
Cute, in a gory and gruesome way. I am glad I read this for a change. You rock, Terry Deary!
Jessica
Everyone should read this if only to learn what the word "decimate" actually means.
Hannah
A fun and entertaining read. A very enjoyable way to learn about this topic.
Rose Dawson
Děsivé dějiny - zajímavá a vtipná knížka v 1.Celou sérii jsem si zamilovala. ;D
Kate
the up-to-date version would be miles better
Bryn
Alex
Alex added it
Jan 14, 2015
Amy Baker
Amy Baker marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Alicia Donner
Alicia Donner marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Maham
Maham added it
Jan 06, 2015
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
  • Isaac Newton and His Apple
  • Ugly Bugs
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • History's Worst Decisions
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Three: Color Knitting: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
  • Einstein and His Inflatable Universe
  • Blitz: The Diary of Edie Benson, London, 1940-1941
  • Suffragette: The Diary of Dollie Baxter, London, 1909-1913
  • What I Hate
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
The Groovy Greeks The Awesome Egyptians The Rotten Romans The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories) The Terrible Tudors