Start by marking “The Lonely Mile” as Want to Read:
The Lonely Mile

The Lonely Mile

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  75 reviews
"Allan Leverone delivers a taut crime drama full of twists and conspiracy. A serial-killer thriller with a heart."
—Scott Nicholson, bestselling author of LIQUID FEAR and DISINTEGRATION

"Thriller fans will enjoy Allan Leverone's new book, The Lonely Mile, which will carry readers along as a daughter is stolen by a vengeful serial killer and we follow her father's determine
Published August 16th 2012 by StoneHouse Ink (first published July 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lonely Mile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonely Mile

How to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho52 Weeks of Writing Tips by Bob NailorAn Average Joe's Pursuit for Financial Freedom by Michael Warren Munsey
Self-help and advice
390th out of 425 books — 425 voters
The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThis Little Piggy Belongs to the Devil by Vincent A. PalazzoTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoImpeding Justice by M.A. ComleySweet Light by Jen Wylie
Great titles of 2011, ideal stocking fillers
51st out of 94 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica at Book Sake
Not having read that many crime thriller novels recently, I was excited to read The Lonely Mile in anticipation of the new season of CSI. While my standards are not that high in this genre, I was floored by the great writing of this story and almost felt guilty that I had such low expectations. There were parts that I didn’t really understand, until it hit me like a ton of bricks in the conclusion of the story. My biggest complaint in many of the suspense/thriller novels is that they seem predic ...more
Nicole Storey
This book was one of the best I've read this year. Once again, I took a chance and stepped out of my comfort zone of genres and delved into a thriller/mystery. I'm so glad I did!

I must admit that some parts of the books were predictable, but the twist near the end threw me for a loop. I never saw it coming! Leverone really brings his characters to life in the story. I could picture each one in my mind - not because they were overly described, but because (for the most part) I felt as if I knew t
A fantastic edge of your seat thriller! Very well written. Really enjoyed this one, my first by Allan Leverone. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Anunpredictableseries of events are trigger when hardware store owner,Bill Ferguson, interferes with the kidnapping of a teenage girl from a local highway rest stop. Thewould bekidnaper turns out to be an elusive serial killer/kidnaper who has been eluding the FBI for nearly three years.
WhenFerguson prevents the abduction, he puts himself and his family in the crosshairs of the deadly fugitive. From there the story takes off as an FBI manhunt spares no manpower in the search for the famed“I-90 K
Angelique Jurd
Title: The Lonely Mile

Author: Allan Leverone

Format: Kindle Edition

Publisher: StoneHouse Ink; 1 edition (July 18, 2011)

A thriller in the style of The Silence of the Lambs, The Lonely Mile is a well written and gripping story of a battle between a serial killer and the father of his latest victim.
Leverone's style is not unlike that of Thomas Harris and the killer's point of view is given as much air time as that of the victim. The combination makes for a very unnerving read and
Arnab Das
Few weeks of 'heavy' reading had taken its toll and I needed a break. Books on the Kindle bestsellers list tend to be fast reads, pageturners in a way. And because The Lonely Mile was (is rather) on that list, I expected nothing more from it other than the aforementioned characteristics. The book is extremely readable, as in you will probably get sucked into the plot right away. However it has its obviously flaws. There used to be a time when tales of psychopathic serial killers made great novel ...more
First book I've read by this author and was not disappointed. A father spoils a kidnapping and to pay him back, the psychopathic, murderous, creepy perp kidnaps his daughter and plans to follow through, as with all his other kidnap victims, by giving her to slave traders. It's a fast-paced story with well developed characters with a surprise ending.
I don't really understand why this book received such high reviews. Yes, it was fast-paced, thrilling and entertaining, but overall I thought it was average at best. The writing was far from exceptional (one of the conversations at the end of the book sounded like it was pulled out of a scripted PSA), and the plot was a bit far-fetched and predictable. Normally, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to figuring out what's next, but I was able to figure out the "twist" in this book well before it actuall ...more
Max Read
“A not so thrilling – thriller”

“The Lonely Mile” was written by Allan Leverone. Mr. Leverone is employed as an air traffic controller assigned to Logan International in Boston, Massachusetts and lives in Londonderry, New Hampshire with his wife and three children.

This fiction novel genre is that of psychological thriller. The writing style is straight forward using a non-complex structure with anonymous narration. Characters and scenes are sparsely developed and contribute to the fast action pac
I picked up this book twice, both times, thinking I would just read a little. I read half the book each time. The book started out fast paced, engaged the reader and kept that pace throughout the novel. It is the kind of book that you just have to see how it turns out.

I loved the alternating characters, I especially think he did a nice job with the serial killer.

Overall, a great, quick-paced thriller.
Got this book for free. Reading it was a waste of my time. I kept thinking, 'Wow, this would be a great book for someone learning to improve their reading speed by skimming.' Because skimming is about all I did. The book started with possibilities and then turned into endless non-action devoid of suspense. Then it ended predictably. Nothing there for me.
This page-turner is the classic example of "no good deed goes unpunished." Bill Ferguson witnesses a kidnapping, breaks it up, and angers the would-be kidnapper to the point that the kidnapper decides to go after Bill's daughter. Why not? She fits the bill for this kidnapper, who preys on teenage victims at rest stops and has managed to elude the FBI for a decade.

I really enjoyed the story, but was not prepared for the twists and turns ahead. We get several character's perspectives in this book,
This was an excellent book. The characters were well developed and the plot kept me interested throughout. I really liked the suprise twist at the end. The book was shorter than most, but it packed a great plot in those pages. I would definitely be inclined to read other books by this author.
The Lonely Mile by Allan Leverone is an emotionally gripping story that takes a father's love for his daughter to the very brink of its limits. Several times during this book I wanted to hug my teenage daughter just to reassure myself she was safe.
Jana Fogg
Love this book! Extremely fast paced! Edge of my seat! I did not see the end to this one! I was genuinely surprised! Great book :). Can't wait to read more by this author!
Kate's Reads
"The Lonely Mile", by Allan Leverone, is a gripping thriller that will keep you turning the pages. The writing style is smooth and the short chapters keep you moving forward.

Bill Ferguson, a divorced father and owner of two struggling hardware stores, stops the "I-90 serial killer' from kidnapping a 17 year-old girl from a rest stop. Thanks to thorough media coverage the disgruntled serial killer is able to track down Bill and target his own 17 year-old daughter, Carli.

After Carli is taken, in p
Julie Carter
This book was impossible to stop reading. It starts with a regular guy named Bill witnessing an attempted kidnapping of a teenage girl. He realizes he is the only one who sees what is going on, and intervenes. From that point on, the story is non-stop. The subject matter was difficult but was handled well. I found myself quite attached to the characters, and as a parent, I couldn't help but wonder how I would feel if I was in Bill's shoes. I thought the story was intense, and I look forward to s ...more
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of an ordinary man (Bill) foiling the latest kidnapping attempt by the 'I-90 Killer'. That simple heroic act set in motion a chain of events that no one could have foreseen. Now Bill is the victim – his daughter has been kidnapped by the I-90 Killer. He will stop at nothing to get her back, even going over the FBI Agent (Angie) assigned to the case.

This was utterly amazing! It grabbed me by the scruff of the neck from the beginning and would not let go until the very end. The a
Tiffany Lovering
It's fairly easy to guess what's going to happen in The Lonely Mile by Allan Leverone right after you read the synopsis on the product page. A man named Bill Ferguson witnesses and stops a near kidnapping by the "I-90 Killer." Although the girl is safe, the sociopath escapes and is seeking revenge on Bill and targets his precious, 17 year old daughter Carli.

I am sure if you think about it, you can figure out what happens, or come close to it. That's okay, it is not what makes this such a great n
A dark, sinister scene captivates from the first few words. A woman is kidnapped, the perpetrator's actions paint him to be a delusional psychopath, one moment abusing her in some form or another, the next whispering sweet nothings to her. Her confusion and distress is abundantly clear, and contagious. It doesn't take long for the sinister stranger to explain some things, which sparked my interest further. As the author delves in to the mind of the now named kidnapper, Martin Krall, I was drawn ...more
Amy Shojai
This tense, high octane thriller starts off with a horrific premise--young girl abducted, abused, and sold into the sex trade. Enter "Joe Everyman," a solid working stiff divorced dad who idolizes his own teenage daughter. Then Bill Ferguson encounters the I-90 Killer and interrupts an abduction in progress, earning him unwanted attention from the psycho bad guy who devises a scheme to get even--he'll steal Bill's own daughter Carli.

So far, so good. The bad guy is bad with a truly twisted sense
Jessica at Book Sake
This is the second book that I have read by Leverone and let me tell you he doesn't fail to meet my expectations from my last read. This is the story of Bill Ferguson who witnessess a kidnapping at a rest stop. Since no one around is seeing this happen Bill intervenes to save the girl. The kidnapper, however, goes free. Little does he know that he has messed with the wrong guy...the kidnapper is known as the "I-90" killer who has been kidnapping women for the past several years and he wants reve ...more
What would you do if you came upon a situation where a teenage girl was being kidnapped? Would you do something to stop it from happening? What if the psycho who you stopped now sought revenge by kidnapping your own teenage daughter, would you sit passively by while the police and FBI conducted their investigation and search? Put yourself in Bill Ferguson's shoes ...

The Lonely Mile is a story about an average businessman named Bill Ferguson, who while at a highway rest area, saw an attempted ki
A chilling thriller that gets inside the minds of a sociopathic villain will leave readers wanting to turn their pages (or swipe their Kindles/Nooks/e-readers to the next page). I thoroughly enjoyed this book for the fact that it gives the reader scary insight into an average Joe turned criminalist mastermind in his own psycho way. The protagonist, Bill Ferguson, is a man of good deeds: a war veteran who is slightly hard on his luck running a slightly unsuccessful hardware store. He also has to ...more
C.C. Thomas
Based on the Kindle purchase price, I wasn't expecting much of a story. Usually, when I pay so little--I get so little. What a surprise this was! I was glad to be wrong.

Bill Ferguson is no one's idea of a hero, least of all his own. He's a quiet, unassuming man still reeling from his divorce years earlier. He just wants to be a good father and lick his wounds. While at a rest stop, Bill thwarts a kidnapping attempt by a serial killer. The killer escapes, vowing to get revenge on the man who brok
Allan Leverone is a new to me author whose gripping plot and intriguing characters easily pulled me and wouldn't let go making this one of those books I couldn't put down until I knew for sure how things would work out.
Martin Krall has been hunting along a five hundred mile stretch of I 90 for over three years. He has always been successful and feels like he is invincible. He is a cocky sort of guy who believes he can take what he wants when he wants and no one is going to stop him. You see he h
Elizabeth A.
If you had a chance to save someone’s life, to be a hero, would you do it even if you knew your actions would have disastrous consequences for your own family? Or could you knowingly allow a horrific fate to befall a young woman without doing anything to intervene?

Bill Ferguson didn’t have time to consider the answer to that question before his hand was forced and he made a decision that drastically altered the lives of two young women, one of them his own daughter.

While sitting in a rest stop a
Annarita Guarnieri
I’m a sort of bookworm, so I have many favorite genres and authors, of the past and of the present. To mention a couple, just to stay with The Lonely Mile genre, Alistair McLean and David Baldacci.
This novel was a very nice surprise to me, because it reaches those same levels of tension and has the same fast pace, hooking the reader from the very beginning and managing in just a short chapter to create an atmosphere of anguish, terror and suspense that will underlie the whole story.
As it often h
  • The Crazy Old Lady in the Attic (Beacon Hill Chronicles, #1)
  • Burn Out (Rachel Scott, #2)
  • Secrets
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • claire-obscure
  • Miles from Home: A True Story of the Choices That Define Us
  • A Circle in the Woods
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • Money, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox #2)
  • The Abduction of Mary Rose
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • Gifts and Consequences
  • A Penny for the Hangman
  • Thread of Hope (The Joe Tyler Series, #1)
  • Grave Situation
  • Voice
  • Blackbird Fly (Bennett Sisters #1)
Allan Leverone is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of nine novels, including the dark thriller, MR. MIDNIGHT, named by Suspense Magazine as one of the "Best Books of 2013."

A 2012 Derringer Award winner and 2011 Pushcart Prize nominee, Allan lives in Londonderry, NH with his wife of more than thirty years, three grown children and one beautiful granddaughter.

Connect at www.allanl
More about Allan Leverone...