Start by marking “Garden Plot” as Want to Read:
Garden Plot

Garden Plot

Erin Kilpatrick has enough trouble running a rehab center for recovering alcoholics and drug abusers, taking care of her thirteen year-old daughter, and struggling to pay the bills. But finding the dead body of one of her guests sprawled in her garden complicates things!
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Covenant Communications, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Garden Plot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garden Plot

Tamera Westhoff
Feb 24, 2012 Tamera Westhoff rated it really liked it
I thought this was really cute! I liked that Erin worked incredibly hard to get to where she was, and was still having lots of problems! She wasn't rich, and had a 13 year old who wasn't perfect, but wasn't crazy either. She had some love interests, but it was very much back burner in this suspense (even though I knew who the accomplice was for a lot of the book). It was more of a "hhmmm..." than a sitting on the edge of your seat book. I love the fact that she always had a hymn in her head! I s ...more
Tausha
Mar 04, 2016 Tausha rated it really liked it
Wait!!!!! Seriously it can't end there! Grrr! This was a fun read. I do think it ended a chapter early...or how about an epilogue at least. ;) Erin was such a great leading Lady! I loved the strength in her character. She made me laugh with her detective endeavors. Poor Harris had to do his best to keep up with her. Overall it was an easy read. I'm not huge on deep mystery which is probably why I liked this so much. Yes, it is a mystery novel but it had enough humor entwined that kept it light a ...more
Jeanette
Feb 24, 2012 Jeanette rated it it was ok
Anyone who knows me at all, knows I really don't enjoy LDS fiction. Knowing this, a friend told me this book was cute and I should give it a chance. So I did. But... Too many things had to be explained in detail before the characters got them and I felt there was too much doctrine mentioned that really had no relevance to the story. There were also many loose ends to the mystery that were never explained. If someone is looking for an LDS book that throws in a lot of doctrine and is clean, then t ...more
Orlando
Aug 27, 2011 Orlando rated it it was ok
Shanda
Aug 30, 2011 Shanda rated it really liked it
Full review originally published here: http://bit.ly/ndw8eo (www.ldswbr.com)

First Line:

It couldn’t be good for business to have a guest drop dead in the vegetable garden.

With a first line like that, I knew I was in for an entertaining read with Garden Plot.

Erin, the owner and director of a halfway house for recovering addicts as well as mother to a 13 year-old daughter, is our narrator in this story told in first person. The book begins with Erin finding a body of a guest/patient in her garden t
Kristine
Dec 17, 2016 Kristine rated it it was ok
In my mind, romantic mysteries are supposed to be "unrealistic" on some levels. Just the word "romance" used to described a book implies escape literature rather than anything based in reality. I have read many romances. While they are fun and allow me to escape my present challenges for a few hours, I kept thinking how unrealistic aspects of this book were, and it was distracting. For example, I have been a woman business owner supporting myself, and I would not have had time to solve a mystery ...more
Ellen
Jul 10, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book had its faults, but I really liked it. It was a fun murder mystery. It was clean, well-written, and had an engaging plot-line.

One of the little side threads that ran through the book, that I could relate to, was that the main character, Erin, always had a hymn running through her head. These weren't just the typical hymns that every LDS person grows up with. Some of the hymns were: "On This Day of Joy and Gladness," "Father, This Hour Has Been One of Joy," just to name a coup
Tarah
Nov 25, 2013 Tarah rated it really liked it
It's kind of rare for me to read a book that someone hasn't recommended, or I am familiar with the author. However, I came across Garden Plot and the cover got me interested (because I totally judge a book by its cover) and the synopsis sounded interesting. I'm glad I picked it up. Garden plot (which I think the title is a clever play on words) was a fun LDS mystery that can be read quite quickly. I loved how Erin always had a hymn in her head. Some of the hymns she picked were just down right h ...more
Katie W
Jan 24, 2012 Katie W rated it really liked it
There is a body discovered in the vegetable garden of a wellness center (after detox) and it appears to be that of a "guest." When it turns out that the fingerprints don't match those of the man staying there, another mystery appears--who was murdered and why? Who did it?

I, personally, love it when I can't figure a mystery out. I thought this one was well done. There were twists and turns that I didn't expect. I really enjoyed how the main character thought--the hymns that would come to her mind
Gail
Jul 04, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It was easy to follow but kept my interest. I enjoyed the humor of this single mom as well as her ability to use common sense to help solve the murder of someone she found in her garden. If I'm not mistaken I think this was Kristen McKendry's 1st mystery novel, her 2nd one might be coming out this fall. I am looking forward to reading the next one. I also enjoyed the fact that the main character is a Latter-day Saint so there were references to the Church regarding h ...more
Brenda
Oct 14, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was clean, well written and had a great story.

Erin, the heroine of story, isn't some young anorexic girl with blonde hair and big boobs. She's a real woman, living a real life and dealing with real problems. Her biggest problem is the dead body she finds in her vegetable garden. The body without a face.

The naming of the hymns that ran through her head was good and sometimes made me laugh.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good murder mystery without any gore
Kelli
Dec 20, 2011 Kelli rated it did not like it
Shelves: lds
Heather
Nov 04, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed it. The owner of an in-patient halfway house of sorts finds a dead body in her garden, presumably one of her patients. Presumably. I love a good puzzle to figure out, and the main character was detail oriented and sharp as a tack. This is an LDS fiction book, meaning the main character is a Mormon and there are a few cultural references that a non-Mormon reader won't quite get, but it wouldn't take away from the rest of the story. My only complaint is there is no sequel!
Nadine
Aug 28, 2012 Nadine rated it really liked it
Erin Kilpatrick is the owner of a half-way house for patients who have just completed detox. Imagine her surprise to walk out into her garden one morning and find one of her clients lying dead there! It takes a while to figure everything (and everyone) out, and a possible romance starts to spark. Like me, certain hymn tunes pop into Erin's head to fit the current situation.
A fun read!
Kathy
Nov 15, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story. I really liked Erin and Detective Harris, so it was fun to follow them along in the book. It's the type of the story that's very easy to enjoy as long as you don't think about it too hard (the mystery could easily have been solved much sooner & the LDS parts are sort of clunkily placed). But it's light and has some nice humor.
Krystal
Feb 14, 2013 Krystal rated it it was ok
To be honest, I didnt finish it. I love murder mysteries and was so excited to read this because I love gardening too but I dont know if it was the context or writing style i did not like but I couldn't get into it. I think I got to halfway when i decided to stop because I still didn't know what was going on..I may give it another try one of these days but it just didnt grab my attention. /:
Linnae
Erin's got enough to do running a halfway house for recovering addicts, without the body she happens upon in the garden one morning. Oh dear. She gets thrown into the middle of the ongoing investigation--getting to know Detective Harris is an unforeseen bonus.

Clean, cozy mystery. Subplots involving Erin's life were well done. Leisurely paced, with a sweet romance. Enjoyable vacation read.
Heather
Jun 04, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
This book was cute and there was a lot of funny stuff in it. But, I felt it took too long to get really into it and a lot of the parts of the book just kind of dragged. So, I guess it's a decent read, but there are others that I like much better.
T.K.
Dec 17, 2011 T.K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay! Another great LDS mystery writer! I love McKendry's style, her whimsical descriptions, and her offbeat characters. I also really enjoyed having the mystery set in Canada, and a halfway house/rehab center; I learned a bit about both while being completely entertained.
Susan
Mar 26, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-novels
This was a cute LDS novel about a woman who found a dead body in her garden. It had some funny parts, and, of course, was very clean. I thought it was a little boring, and the romance didn't quite ring true. I also thought there were too many loose ends that needed to be resolved.
Debbie
Aug 10, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I liked the characters in this story. The main character is a very observent person who runs a care center. She finds a body in her garden at the center. It was a very interesting story to read. I have read other books by this author and have liked them also.
Leslie Olsen
Mar 14, 2013 Leslie Olsen rated it really liked it
i got a kick out this book. I found a body in my garden, who is it? I'm going to solve it, so i can get over it. Detective Harris gives me butterfly's in my tummy, always coming around talking the case with me. Dr Callum likes me but i don't like him that way.
Alissa
May 09, 2014 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9th-grade-books
this book is absolutely hilarious and i absolutely love it. the love story is classic with a murder twist ,which in my opinion spices things up a bit. so get ready for a book filled with humor, romance, a great amount of sleuthing,and of course murder.
Are
Jan 25, 2013 Are rated it liked it
Cute book. There Were aspects of the character Erin that I really enjoyed, I thought she had a quirky sense of humor. But the romance felt a little to wrapped up in the end for me and parts of the plot a little contrived.
Linda
Jun 13, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This is a cute fast read- that I listened to in the car. It sometimes lost my interest but it plods on slowly but it picked up and I ended up enjoying it. I think the author will learn from this and continue to write even better mystery plots that we can enjoy.
Susan
Feb 10, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Who knew that Erin Kilpatrick was such a sleuth? Meeting Detective Harris didn't hurt either. It was like reading a Remington Steele (which I love) episode!
Ann Marie
May 10, 2015 Ann Marie rated it liked it
This book was on sale so I wasn't expecting much but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a good mystery and I loved the characters.
Diann
Apr 14, 2012 Diann added it
I listened to the book on tape and that may have affected how I felt about it. Not a read I would recommend.
Kathryn
Sep 12, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
Murder mystery. I don't know if it was a slower story for me because I was listening to it on tape or if it just too a little more time to get into the story.
Lacey
Sep 07, 2011 Lacey rated it it was ok
To many unanswered questions. No build up. Just trying to analyze through every chapter "who done it." Needless to say, I was a little disappointed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Deadly Undertakings
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • Proceed with Caution (Duty Series, #4)
  • Rearview Mirror
  • Idle Playgrounds
  • Deep Cover
  • The Pharaoh's Daughter (Isabelle Webb, #2)
  • Hang'em High (Secret Sisters Mystery #3)
  • A Time for the Heart
  • I, Spy (Spy Another Day, #1)
  • If I Should Die
  • Chocolate Roses
Kristen McKendry began writing in her teens and her work has been published in Canada and the U.S. She holds a Bachelors Degree in Linguistics from Brigham Young University and has always been a voracious reader.

Kristen has a strong interest in urban agriculture, sustainable living, environmental issues, and the local foods movement. She incorporates these themes in her writing, and she also lets
More about Kristen McKendry...