Start by marking “Rodger Dodger (Railroad! #1)” as Want to Read:
Rodger Dodger (Railroad! #1)

Rodger Dodger (Railroad! #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Railroad is a fast-paced steampunk story of gadgetry, gunplay and grit.

Join us as we follow the strange stand-alone train known as the Sleipnir (pronounced Schlipnear); eight cars of free traveling steam powered might. Able to lay her own tracks, as well as pick them up again, the train is a marvelous feat of engineering, and as an unbound entity she can travel anywhere he...more
Published July 1st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Rodger Dodger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rodger Dodger

Chantal Boudreau
I’m not a big fan of steampunk. I enjoy well written stories in this genre and I have read some very good ones, but I value excellent characterization and an exciting plot over attention to detail and environment. Since it is historical accuracy and technological and fashion detail which are the keystones to the genre, the things I value are sometimes overlooked. That doesn’t mean I’m not willing to take a chance on a writer I know I like. That’s why I agreed to review Railroad!

Enter Dodger, our...more
Jaidis Shaw
Railroad! Volume One: Rodger Dodger by Tonia Brown is a unique steampunk western serial novel that will keep you coming back for more. The reader is introduced to Rodger Dodger, a man with a past that he can't wait to forget. In an attempt to leave his old life behind, he decides to apply for a security job. Upon arriving to the Sleipnir, Rodger starts to question if he should take the job when he is confronted by the man who placed the help wanted ad, characters that aren't as they appear, and...more
Heather Faville
Railroad Volume One: Rodger Dodger is one of my first forays into the world of steampunk and if this is what steampunk is all about I LOVE IT! The characters created by Tonia Brown are fantastical and vivid...highly entertaining. Rodger Dodger is exactly the type of person you think of when you read his name, but maybe with a slight more compassionate quality then his name might suggest. Professor Hieronymus J. Dittmeyer, well, just his name is loveable, but he's that quirky professor you wish y...more
Gef
Steampunk is a genre that for the last few years I have found especially intriguing, at least on the esthetic level. I haven't read nearly enough to hop on the steam-powered bandwagon, but I count myself as a prospective fan. For me, I just want a rollicking good time, and in the case of Tonia Brown's Railroad, I got just that.

This novella is the opening salvo in what promises to be an especially weird western. Rodger Dodger introduces us to the title character as he answers an open call for a s...more
Angie
Dodger answers an ad to work as security on a railroad line. Thinking it will be no be deal he shows up for his interview to see a train like nothing he has ever seen before. After some crazy occurrences he walks away thinking to never step foot on that train again. But somethings are harder to let go of, such as an amazing pair of guns that come with a strange side effect and a desire to know more.

I really liked this book, I love steampunk and I'm used to it always being part of the Victorian E...more
Markus
Samantha Boyette
I think my goal for next year is going to be to read more Steampunk, because I really do enjoy it. Picked this up when it was free on Amazon and decided to give it a read this past week. It was really good. I loved the world building and interesting devices.

Even though this very much feels like the beginning of a bigger story, it is plenty of story on it's own. The characters are interesting and there is enough going on and resolved in this to make it a stand alone piece.

The only complaint I h...more
pdarnold
Rodger Dodger aka Mr. Carpenter is that rough, tough, don't mess with me kinda guy with a heart of a pussycat. Hieronymus J. Dittmeyer (I dare you to say that name out loud without snickering) is the perfect absent minded steampunk professor. Then there is Ched - hmmmm that man(?) is ***different*** and the beautiful but determined Lelanea Dittmeyer (niece of Hieronymus J. Dittmeyer). The cast is perfection. I loved each character. Add the story plus the details and you have a rip roaring fun ri...more
Nishi Serrano
Western Steampnk is a favorite genre/artistic movement/style of mine, and any time I hear about something in this vein, I make it a point to check it out, and with Railroad! I've become a fan of Tonia Brown. Railroad is everything you could want in a steampunk western. The characters are well fleshed out, as is the gadgetry and atmosphere. Tonia has a wonderful sense of imagination. I've already downloaded the next two volumes and can't wait to read them!
Graeme Reynolds
I'd never read a steampunk story, so I had no idea what to expect from this novel. I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The characters were likable and believable, there was plenty of action, intrigue and lots of cool steampunk tech on offer. Tonia's writing is excellent, and the story tore along at a good pace without any significant spelling or grammar errors to pull you out of the tale.

Can't wait to read the next installment.
Paul
This is actually my first steam punk book I have read so I don't know how well it holds up to others in the genre. I absolutely love this book. It is like reading some sat serial from the 30's. It has cool gadgets and genetically altered dog people. It is an action thrill ride and I look forward to reading the next in the series
mirbass
A rollickingly fun steampunk western! This short story serves as a great introduction to the cast of colourful characters that make up this web-serial, complete with sharp-shooters, spunky heroines, mad professors, automatons, ghosts, undead conductors &, of course, fantastic inventions. 4 stars!
Bart Welch
Just a fun, serialized read. It takes more of an innocent approach to steam punk, without all the Wizz! Bang! Gadzooks! on the front end. I like how it weird-wests a good story of man vs man and man vs himself.
Jason Miller
Steampunk in the old west, a fun tale - have to read another volume to see where it does - but a train that lays its own tracks is a novel idea (for the old west)
Les
This is a very fun read. The main character is interesting and complex. The story is lively. I found myself very engrossed. Can't wait the read more.
Robert Williamson
I really loved this book. Rodger Dodger is great along with the train and the other characters. Can't wait to read more.
Mike
So the problem I have with steampunk fiction is this: far, far too often, a great concept is let down by poor execution. Unfortunately, this book is an example.

I was hopeful when I noticed that an editor was named on the title page, but there are significant editing issues. Having been an editor in the past, I know that when a manuscript is bad, it's hard to catch all the errors, but I would have expected "apposed" and "axels" to be picked up by a spellcheck. I would also have hoped that an edit...more
Cheri
If you are offended by my rating a book that I did not finish, please stop reading now. In truth, this book had a lot of promise, but Reading it felt more like a chore than entertainment. Ched's "dialect" required constant translation in my head to figure out what he was saying, and it was taking me out of the story. I also found the way things were being described to be pedantic and damaging to the flow. By chapter four or so, I just wanted to get on with the damn story already...not be told ye...more
Steve
Stopped half way through. Very shallow characters and story. I didn't find this book interesting. Guess I'm not a fan of steampunk.
Eddie
Gave up. Annoying characters
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Tomi
Tomi added it
Sep 25, 2014
Monica Dowell
Monica Dowell marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kelly Crowe
Kelly Crowe marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Alexandrea Swank
Alexandrea Swank marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tonia Brown is a Southern author with a penchant for Victorian dead things. She lives in North Carolina with her genius husband and an ever fluctuating number of cats. When not writing she raises unicorns and fights crime with her husband under the code names "Dr. Weird and his sexy sidekick Butternut."
More about Tonia Brown...
BadAss Zombie Road Trip Clockworks and Corsets Lucky Stiff Skin Trade Dogs of War (Railroad! #2)