Start by marking “Moordbaan ” as Want to Read:
Moordbaan

Dick Francis

Moordbaan

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  2,974 Ratings  ·  361 Reviews
Een jonge advocaat en tevens amateur-jockey wordt door een van Engelands topjockeys gevraagd hem te verdedigen als hij wordt beschuldigd van moord op een collega.
Published September 2009 by Uitgeverij Archipel (first published 2008)

Rich
May 17, 2009 Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
As with Dead Heat, the other Francis father/son outing, all the elements are there for a good story, but once again, it doesn't deliver at the level readers of Francis have come to expect. The pacing is just a bit off, son Felix still dump truck loads in the middle of the narrative that slow it down to almost stopping the story, and some characters who could have been used to better advantage are given short shrift making the reader wonder why all the detail had been given about that character. ...more
Kate Loveday
Sep 05, 2012 Kate Loveday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reding Dick Francis's tales of racing, and this was no exception. His central character, George 'Perry' Mason, is a barrister who is also an amateur steeplechase rider. He is reluctantly dragged into defending a fellow jockey who is accused of murdering another jock by spearing him with a pitchfork. His belief in the innocence of the accused is strengthened when he is subjected to intimidation by a former client 'bad boy', who wants him to lose the case. Lots of skullduggery in th ...more
LJ
SILKS (Unl. Invest-Geoffrey Mason-England-Cont) – VG+
Francis, Dick and Felix Francis – 42nd book
Penguin/Michael Joseph-2008-UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780718154578

First sentence: “Guilty.”

Barrister and amateur jockey Geoffrey Mason, known as ‘Perry Mason’ by his racing friends. He had once successfully defended a violent young man, Julian Trent. Trent, found guilty nonetheless and swearing revenge against Mason, is now being released on appeal. Mason receives a call from fellow jockey, Steve Mitchell
Harry
What is there to say about Dick Francis? As I think about all of his books (yes, this review covers all of his books, and yes I've read them all) I think about a moral ethical hero, steeped in intelligence and goodness embroiled in evil machinations within British horse racing society - either directly or indirectly. The heroes aren't always horse jockies, they can be film producers, or involve heroes engaged in peripheral professions that somehow always touch the horse racing world.

But more tha
Daniel Taylor
When the lawyer character has the nickname "Perry Mason", you go into the story with certain expectations.

A few years before this story starts, lawyer Geoffrey Mason failed to successfully defend his client. Now that client has been released and is coming after him in a tale that combines horse racing, murder and manipulation. Like a Perry Mason episode, most of the significant drama takes place in the courtroom.

This is the first Dick Francis book I've read and going on the blurb, it's not one I
Lindig
Aug 15, 2009 Lindig rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As usual with Dick Francis, the plot is interesting and lots of knowledge is imparted. This time, however, great quantities of exposition are ladled out in steaming lumps. This becomes tedious rather quickly. Our barrister hero, a widower, becomes involved in a case that reaches its tentacles deep into the horse-racing world. So far so good.

What made Francis so good was the humanity of his heroes, the depths they had to reach for courage, and the witty dialogue. These attributes must have been t
Louise
Sep 18, 2008 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost but not quite up to vintage Dick Francis - English barrister (despite the explanation I still don't understand the difference between a barrister and a solicitor or just how the English lawyer system works) and amateur jockey Geoffrey Mason (nicknamed Perry by his jockey friends, naturally) meets some unscrupulous clients and acquaintances. But, in typical Francis characterization, he stands firm and mostly unafraid and comes out the winner. Doesn't have the depth of some of the Francis c ...more
Verona
Mar 06, 2009 Verona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Silks for several reasons. I like the English flavor and reflection of life in England. I liked the current references in this book to our time and places. I liked just knowing it was written by Dick Francis because I like his stories and writing. It was interesting to read how the law is interpreted and carried out in their courts. The only drawback to my full enjoyment of this novel was a few incidences of offensive language. I don't remember past Dick Francis novels containi ...more
Julie
Sep 18, 2008 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his best. I didn't get into this one until about half-way through. I did enjoy the last half, though.

My major quibble is that Dick Francis' protagonists always drive me nuts. They are all brave and clever. They are also staggeringly un-common-sensical. (I know, that's not a word.)

In this one, a barrister by day, jockey by weekend, is attacked one evening on his way home from work by a man he had prosecuted and put in jail previously. The bad guy attacks him with a baseball bat. So what does
Luann
May 02, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's just because it seems like such a LONG time since I've read a new Dick Francis, but I really enjoyed Silks. When Dick Francis retired, I felt very sad that there would never be another new Dick Francis to read. So when he did publish again, I bought an autographed copy, saved it, and savored the knowledge that I once again had a new Dick Francis to read! Now that he appears to be back on his regular yearly publishing schedule, co-writing with his son, it's time for me to get back to m ...more
Lisa H.
Apr 02, 2009 Lisa H. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dick-francis, mystery
Pity one can't give a 0 stars rating to a book and have it register. I couldn't even finish this one - taking it back to the library after reading fewer than 50 pages.

It looks like the elder Mr. Francis has given over writing duties completely to his son. I knew from the first page (no exaggeration) that they weren't his words any more. Pulled one of his earlier books from my shelf and compared its first page with the leaden prose of the opening paragraphs of "Silks" - not even close. What a dis
Hilary
May 24, 2010 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dick Francis used to be one of my favorite authors. All his stories take place in England, and are always murder mysteries around horses/stable/racetrack/etc. The main character was an ex-jockey turned PI that only has 1 arm. I looooved them. This however was not one of them.

This is the first Dick Francis book I have read that was a collaboration with his son. It is a new protagonist, but was still the same formula - murder mystery taking place at a racetrack/stable. It just was lackluster. Gone
Joy
Sep 21, 2009 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geoffrey Mason, barrister, was more relieved than not that his client was declared guilty. Julian Trent, charming youngster from an ideal family, loves violence. Then Julian's conviction is overturned. Obviously the witnesses against him have been terrorized into reversing their testimony. Geoffrey becomes a target of the released Julian, who lost his case, but there seems to be more going on than revenge. Geoffrey finds himself landed with the nearly hopeless trial of a celebrity jockey.

I delay
Isabel
Nov 07, 2013 Isabel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Am a Dick Francis fan & this was my first foray into the father/son combo & a big disappointment. Dick Francis is a remarkable author. He is/was somehow able to maintain tension and capture your affections for his male protagonists, so full of old world charm and vulnerability, yet his stories could be quite slow and detailed.

With Silks, the detail lacks the Francis magic. It permeates the story, making it ponderous, leaden, full of portentious significance that invariably ends by trail
Stacey
Sep 17, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Like all of Dick Francis' novels it took me a little while to get into, but once I was in I was hooked. The ending is quite surprising and comes suddenly. I think he did an excellent job of keeping this book a good length, not too long, not too short. I also found this book a little easier to understand than some of his other books, as far as horse terminology and knowledge goes.
Miriam Smith
Aug 14, 2016 Miriam Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a typical well written Dick Francis book, co - written with his son Felix and has a storyline that lies thick in a courtroom with an amateur jump jockey trained barrister trying to defend a fellow jockey for a murder he didn't commit. I really enjoyed this book and only dropped a star for maybe being a little over the top in legal jargon and procedure. Fans of John Grisham would love this. Would recommend.
Brandt Smith
Jul 16, 2009 Brandt Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first and last Dick Francis novel. I knew at the start, it was no great work of literature, yet some of the plot resolutions felt incredibly forced and amaturish. I found the central character unsympathetic and only continued to read in hopes of a satisfying resolve. DIDN'T HAPPEN. Not only was it NOT satidfying, it was offensive. THe book might have earned a 3 for the brief insights into the judicail system, but the last two paragraphs lowered it to a one.
Renee M
Decent legal thriller surrounding the business of horse racing and breeding. My first Dick Francis. I can see why I shelved so many of this series in my bookstore days. I'll definitely recommend these to my dad. :)
Will
Oct 20, 2008 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Dick Francis book. I didn't find it slow, but then the main character is a lawyer, so I am entitled to that opinion! Give it a shot, and hold on till the end.
iamnotabookworm
Nov 18, 2016 iamnotabookworm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks
This is another book I read last month. I got this from a second-hand bookstore. I have always loved Dick Francis. Every time I see a book of his, it is automatic that I buy it. I have a list of authors that I look for first, every time I go inside a bookstore. If I can't find any of their works, then the digging and reading the back covers start.

Silks mean two things. One is to mean a QC - Queen's Counsel. An English (British) term for senior lawyers. Informally or commonly referred to as a si
Joan
May 06, 2017 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but somehow lacking in that special 'something' that makes a Dick Francis story compelling reading. I started this a week ago and stopped reading after a dozen or so pages and only picked it up again last night.

It's a bit heavy on the 'legal' aspect and a bit light on the horse side, which may be the reason I wasn't wildly enthusiastic. In the end I skimmed a fair amount of the story which makes it a three star rather than four.
Paula Newbanks
Typical Dick Francis, good story line, horse racing...
Eileen
May 26, 2017 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are somewhat entertaining...
Priscilla McFerren
Perhaps predictably plotted but perpetually pleasing and never prosaic. The protagonists continue to engage and the villains to enrage. Good stuff!
Jeff Tonkinson
Horse racing is merely the setting for this rather typical mystery.
John Marsh
Dec 26, 2014 John Marsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie
Feb 26, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Francis novel. I decided to start with the first in this series and father son written as that was what was available in my library's audio selection. I enjoyed it very much which pleases me as I am always looking for new authors to explore.

In thinking about what I liked about the story in terms of character, the main character was not perfect, not overly strong, not super talented and not super rich. He is fairly average. The plot surrounds a murder and is ultimately solved.
An Odd1
May 14, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Silks", by Dick and Felix Francis, are colorful jockey race costumes and senior position desired by narrator, widower, junior barrister (acts in courtroom, solicitor does not) and amateur part-time jockey Geoffrey "Perry" Mason, young 35. Like "Shattered" and other Francis books, hero violently attacked, unsure why; relative dead from cancer, here mother from leukemia; pretty girl Eleanor adds bed play "making love with a broken back" p413, rebutting "I had always thought lawyers were boring an ...more
Maggiemuggins
Those of us who have been hoping Felix would be up to following in his father's footsteps may have been hoping in vain. It is unreasonable, I suppose, to expect two such extraordinary writers in the same family.

Part of the fault with "Silks" however, lies with Michael Joseph for extremely bad manuscript proof-reading in allowing pink chairs in a waiting to change to red within a few pages and the green scrubs that are mentioned over and over again as the standard wear for vets, in a certain equ
Ron Holmes
Feb 20, 2017 Ron Holmes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Dick Francis (and Felix Francis now) in a while and I had forgotten how good a writer he is. Of course, you need to enjoy horse racing in England to really enjoy the book. There are enough twists and turns and unexpected happenings to keep you interested. Plus, there a couple good sex scenes to add to your interest.
  • Dick Francis's Bloodline
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • The Next to Die
  • The Holy Bullet
  • Shadows on the Mirror (Sarah Fortune, #1)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • The Serial Killers Club
  • Betrayal
  • 2 in the Hat
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • Bamboo and Blood (Inspector O, #3)
  • Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • 24 Declassified: Death Angel
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs. Pargeter, #3)
  • A Sudden, Fearful Death (William Monk, #4)
Dick Francis CBE (born Richard Stanley Francis) was a popular British horse racing crime writer and retired jockey.

Dick Francis worked on his books with his wife, Mary, before her death. Dick considered his wife to be his co-writer - as he is quoted in the book, "The Dick Francis Companion", released in 2003:
"Mary and I worked as a team. ... I have often said that I would have been happy to have b
More about Dick Francis...